MTG Player Quality

For those anons who play Magic: The Gathering in any format, how do you view yourself in terms of quality-of-character?

How often are you told that you are a bad member of your hobby's community?

How often do you do something positive/constructive to help another player?

When was the last time you made an effort to improve the experience of the game for someone other than yourself?

I am just curious as to how many Magic players are vile, loathsome pieces of shit, but are also willing to admit it.

It'd also be nice to hear stories about people doing a cool thing to improve the hobby we all (supposedly) love.

>mfw I see all the hate on MTG

>How often are you told that you are a bad member of your hobby's community?
In real life? Never. On Veeky Forums? Constantly.

>How often do you do something positive/constructive to help another player?
At the LGS, fairly frequently. I'm one of the elder statesmen of my store and often aid new players in getting into the game (giving them cards, advice, helping them navigate the secondary market, etc). On Veeky Forums, rarely, I've sort of given up talking about Magic here, too many people pushing an agenda.

>When was the last time you made an effort to improve the experience of the game for someone other than yourself?
Two weeks ago, helped a new guy at the store figure out how to get started and what would be the best use of his money and time when getting into Magic. We decided on draft as a good way to learn the basic rules and build up a starter collection and once he's got a handle on things, we're going to discuss a constructed format (he's shown interest in Commander).

It was not until I started playing MTG that I realized I can be a bit of a terrible winner. Now that I am aware of it it is not much of a problem anymore.
Other than that, I guess I show up, play, and aren't actively a dick. I try to help new players where I can but since I'm pretty shit at games I don't have a lot of useful advice.

I don't help people, but I have never been told that I'm a bad person, besides that one time I played control vs a GW Cats player and he raged about Torrential Gearhulk.

>I've sort of given up talking about Magic here, too many people pushing an agenda.

>Be me
>have been browsing Veeky Forums for years
>Gets into magic through IRL friends
>"Gee, now I can participate in the magic threads on /tg!"
>See magic threads on Veeky Forums
>"Or maybe I don't!"

Are you me?

My friends and I are all self-professed dirtbags who talk lots of shit while we play, but we stay within our group and rarely play with other people

Never outside of Veeky Forums, within Veeky Forums it's constantly. But that's mostly because of egregious amounts of shitflinging in the last month or two. I mean, I get called a smug asshole IRL, but that's because I'm a smug asshole.

As often as I can.

>When was the last time you made an effort to improve the experience of the game for someone other than yourself?
A newish player wanted to join our commander league, but didn't have any cards to speak of. So two other guys and I sat down with the new guy, went over different playstyles and a few commanders, and we all pitched in to buy him an Azami, Lady of Scrolls deck (which then proceeded to be the #1 deck to beat that night). We all had a blast and made a new friend.

Yes, yes I am.

Welcome to my world. Magic on Veeky Forums is basically like saying "jews aren't evil" on /pol/: guaranteed to start shit.

>how do you view yourself in terms of quality-of-character?
I'm a shit member of any community I'm in. I don't pretend otherwise.
I'm told often I'm a bad member. I'm a huge asshole. I don't get told so on Veeky Forums much though. Hardly ever post here.
I give tips and help beginners. I don't trade rip-off. I even give some cards to newbies.
When was the last time you made an effort to improve the experience of the game for someone other than yourself?
Probably getting my girlfriend setup with an angel commander deck for herself. June last year.

Never. Several people have told me I'm a good opp and a few times during edh I've been the one to calm people down when they get a little too animated.
I've never really had to help another player beyond allowing them to re-tap their mana or reminding them of triggers. Don't mind those things, but I do have an issue when they try to take advantage of me being nice.
Not sure if this counts, but I sometimes just give people cards from my trades if they need them. No skin off my ass.

>It'd also be nice to hear stories about people doing a cool thing to improve the hobby we all (supposedly) love.
My best friend has bought my brother a deck (little kid gw) because I mentioned he was saving for either burn or mono green. So that was pretty cool. Idk if that was a proper answer the the question tho

DOOM thread?

>the latest ban said they made rampaging ferocidon because of the Saheli Rai Felidar guardian ban
>The felidar guardian ban occured in april 2017
>the revolt set was made in january 2017
>in the guardian ban they said that they did not know about the infinite combo within the set

It has been established by several sources that WOTC makes and designs sets YEARS(1-2) in advance yet we have evidence straight from HQ that this is contrary.

>ixalan was made in september 2017
To review
copy cat combo ban in april.
5 months later
ixalan comes out where they stated in the rampaging ferocidon ban that this card was made to prevent the copy cat combo.
5 months
they designed rampaging ferocidon in 5 months and push that they design and develop sets years in advance. Wotc is caught in either a lie or substantial negligence in their set design to the point where heads must roll if the company is to retain credibility moving forward into dominaria.

never
never
never
I only play kitchen table commander with some buddies

I would assume that have a couple of "flex" spots in every set to print hate cards at the last second.

I've always wondered this. Why do people say pre-releases or drafts are the best way to start playing? I had pretty much no idea how to build a deck or build synergies in a deck, how many lands, what kinda creatures etc. My first pre-release was Aether Revolt and I had been playing for about a month. I knew how stack worked and how to play the game. But how to use the right cards in a deck? No. Best way to learn is to start playing with a casual playgroup and start adding cards to an existing deck to realize how synergies work.

One can not just learn how to build decks or play by jumping into a draft without any knowledge of deck building or the cards of the set.

People sometimes get a bit too angry when I play Lantern Control, other people insult me jokingly. But never a directed full-on hate.
I try to do it whenever I have a chance, helping new people with Prerelease/Draft decks. I don't meddle with their decks unless they ask, I don't want to make them feel bad abut their card choices, but I do reccomend some good cards/colors that they forgot to add from their pools.
RIX Prerelease. The guy was playing magic for the first time, so I explained the card interactions and fixed his deck after the game when he asked me. He thanked me later saying his deck worked a lot better, then I gave him some cards from my deck he liked during the game.

Draft is objectively the best format to learn to play the game because it covers every aspect of Mtg (card evaluation, deckbuilding, and actual play), has rules enforcement so you don't get bad kitchen table habits but is also the most lax and pressure free sanctioned, and no matter how badly you do you end up with a pile of new cards.

Because there's a whole lot of less cards you need to know/understand than in any other format, and the deck-building is relatively simple. It took a single "So you've never drafted before?" video for me to do decently at my first draft when I started out. Compare and contrast with the dumpster fire that was my first attempt at an EDH deck.

I play annoying decks constantly and feel good about it. There's a lantern and lands deck in my car I always unzip when a new player comes to see older formats. I can't help but feel great about the times I made people give up on legacy or modern. Not going to pretend it happened a lot but when it did, they never came back except for preteleases.

Speaking of draft, I wonder why draft threads never get any traction on Veeky Forums. Every other mayor format gets regular threads, even pauper sees more discussion than draft. How comes?

Hah, jokes on you, that'd be reasonable.

I have a good binder and a crap rares binder, and when I meet newer players I let the loot the crap rares (as long as they double-check with me before they take anything since I'm not really sure what's in there)

That and explaining more complicated rules are just about all I do, but people seem to appreciate it.

I'm a level 1 judge and tournament organizer. I dare say I'm one of the most polite and considerate members of our community.

>For those anons who play Magic: The Gathering in any format, how do you view yourself in terms of quality-of-character?
I think I'm an obnoxious piece of shit, but people seem to like me and I get compliments on my manners and general attitude, so I don't know.
Sometimes people (usually on Veeky Forums) complain about 8 Rack and Stax. More rarely, people complain when I combo win in EDH (usually turn 7+, not a hypercompetitive deck). Sometimes people on XMage get mad at me for playing shitbrews in unrated matches, but I usually beat them anyway.
I supply new EDH players with junk rares. I'm also planning to become a judge at some point, I'm pretty sure I can pass the exam.
One of my friends got his cards stolen, so we agreed to allow proxies in out group. It's not much, but I know some people wouldn't accept that.

You can though. Learn by doing, and by seeing what opponents are doing.

Because the meta for every format is basically fixed. There's nothing to discuss except cool stories.

Anyone who thinks this highly of themselves is usually wrong.

>how do you view yourself in terms of quality-of-character?
I'm not a dick so I think good. If I'm sick I never go out to a card store.
>How often are you told that you are a bad member of your hobby's community
Never?
If i play against someone and I have some ideas for their deck (most times it's during pre-release) since I saw issues with it I'll go ahead and give them a hand after our match is up or I'll mention important triggers they missed.
Last weekend

I suppose for vile pieces of shit there will always be someone you find at a card store. I've played against some real smug ass holes and I'll admit I've probably been that guy too. But 90% of the people I play with I try my best to be extremely civil to opponents. Since really I just use magic as a really good way to socialize more with people.

I have recently started writing a somewhat in-depth guide to getting into Magic. I am going from understanding a basic land to their first tournament.

I am working on the page layouts and content every day. It's a blast to do, and I feel hopeful about it helping someone.

When I am done, I am going to print a demo copy for the two FLGS in my area. If either like what they see, I will make more and give them away for distribution.

I fucking love this game, and teaching new players how to play is one of my very favorite things about the game. I just wanna help the community, ya know?

Like any board on Veeky Forums, /tg is full of armchair experts on the board for a hobby they supposedly play. Constructed formats are easy to discuss because there's published decks that everyone can pick apart over card choice and matchups, but draft involves learning the set meta and will often just disperse into talking about general draft strategy that everyone knows.

How long have you been playing?

Eight years, but I am a voracious reader and avid player. I'm fortunate that I have been taught how to take just about any concept and break it down into something that anyone can absorb.

This sounds too competent to be true.

I have a tendancy to give up once it comes clear its impossible to win

But then i have taught with great patience, how to play to a pair of young girls onea sibling, and one a cousin

I also agree with this.

"Just draft your first deck" is a retarded meme. I learned to play by buying a precon deck, telling the guy at the store I'd never played Magic before and playing a couple rounds with someone else who volunteered to help. Later when I got home I took the deck apart, looked at how it worked, figured out the mechanics of it and how the cards worked together, etc

If I had tried to make a deck at a draft I would have likely wound up with unusable garbage and no idea why it was garbage. Telling someone to draft their first deck is setting them up to lose terribly and have a stranger tell them why everything they did was wrong.

Never
Often
Hadn’t really thought much about this, but I usually avoid playing decks people hate.

You're supposed to get one of those free 30 card beginner decks, then draft after learning to play with that.

I am a casual EDH and kitchen table Johnny. Our group meets infrequently to drink fancy beer, and play multiplayer Magic.
My girlfriend hates my decks, even the ones I build to be low power. I can't help but tinker and optimize. As the person with the most experience with the game i draw a fair amount of hate.
>How often do you do something
positive/constructive to help another player?
I give them advice and free cards to help them fine tune their decks. Sometimes I'll go out of my way to get a budget op card they can use.
In the last game i intentionally did not finish off one of the players. Instead i went after the two other players. I went down, but in the chaos one of the guys who rarely wins was able to sweep the other two.

In my previous group i was the whipping boy, rarely coming in first, let alone second. The other players helped me tune my decks, gave me cards and advice. In order to become a better player. I try to do that for my current group, but more often than not end up stomping them.

>For those anons who play Magic: The Gathering in any format, how do you view yourself in terms of quality-of-character?

Above average since I always go for quick kills on my opponents. That may sound stupid until you've seen someone running control/mill/storm against a deck they clearly outmatch drag the game on until their "win con" is met.

This is especially bad if they tell someone who scoops "nah bro you couldve won" like they mean it and didn't just want to see their l33t combo play out on the field. For w/e reason this behavior is most prominent in people who mostly play blue cards.

Never. I try to be gracious in defeat as well as victory and will always shake hands with an opponent if they want to do that after a match.

I also will politely let a deck rest for a while if I've cleared house with it all night. If I beat everyone I played against 2-0 I won't show up the next day saying "LETS PLAY MAGIC! I GOT MY DELIRIUM DECK RIGHT HERE! LETS PLAY!" or anything. People with decks a league above everyone they play against insisting on playing that deck until someone has to ask them to stop are fucking scum.

Rarely. I play in a small playgroup of mostly experienced players and have no interest in arming my opponents. At the LGS I am more helpful, especially with new players I will do my best to help them out.

Out of game I've done quite a bit, helping new players find their "niche" deck, giving away old rares that I've had forever, making trades favorable to people who clearly want something I have more than I need it, etc

In game? Never.

You play to kill your opponent. Trying to play with any other mindset just makes Magic fucking annoying.