Warlock Great Old One Patron

What are some good ways to include interactions between my party's Great Old One warlock and their patron?

I'm looking for ways to highlight the patron's otherworldly nature while still having a reason for such a mysterious being to actually care that the Warlock in question has its powers.

Other urls found in this thread:

cleverbot.com/conv/201801170320/WXDA9RN25G_I-wish-for-more-power
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it doesnt. the warlock is channeling powers from this entity in a similar manner to a windmill harnessing the power of the wind. the Great Old One may be aware of this small leech, but more than likely the Warlock is simply riding the hurricane, and is entirely beneath its notice.

The same way you interact with your stomach bacteria.

You've got loads of options, it really depends on what kind of old one you're looking to depict.

Having a clear motivation for a Great Old One doesn't really make sense. They're supposed to be incomprehensible.

Don't do a god voice. Don't do any conscious communications whatsoever. If the Warlock asks it a question causality is perverted to give the answer. A fire's flame shows them a vision, a double of themselves appears and draws a picture, a comet comes down blazing from the sky and falls where they should go.

Ooh, this is good. I'm definitely going to do that.

Try swarms of insects that chanting the same phrase in a thousand voices

A cleverbot like website could work in a modern setting.

How do Old Ones even fit in a setting with set gods and creation myths anyway?

cleverbot.com/conv/201801170320/WXDA9RN25G_I-wish-for-more-power

Typically they're from "outside."

When the gods were making the universe, they're the parts that got left out, or they're from the previous universe and didn't want to leave, or they're actually from the next universe but didn't want to wait.

Our GM reimagined the concept of the Old One for it to work in the way you want.

He took the concept of "Impossibly old being with boundless knowledge beyond comprehension" and turned them into a sort of galactic librarian. It worked through what was basically an intern that communicated to the party, and any dialog was SUPER simplified since it had trouble lowering itself to our form of communication. "Obtain. Artifact. Find. Dragon Leader." Shit like that

It also acted confused whenever we gave it "when" questions, since it perceived things outside of time.

Define Old One

Basically Lovecraft stuff that seems to have been inserted into DnD wholesale

"What'd it tell you?"
""I gotta start convincing frogs that they can swim in salt-water, and I have to get the middle-toenail clippings of three olderly women.""
"Why is th-"
""And then I start with the children.""

Lost dark gods, who've been forgotten by man, who have goals antithetical to the current state of the cosmos, and rarely take sensible forms.

For example, given their origins, I'd say the Obyrith lords would count as GOOs for pact purposes.

Well yeah, D&D has a lot of those, Zargon the Returner is also suggested as a patron for the pact, why would you think the fact that there are regular gods would interfere with their existence?, there are regular gods in lovecraft mythos too.

fuck that started out rough and got amazing at the end. also checked.

Wizards released a whole book on it in 3.5 titled Elder Evils.