Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Brewing Up Something Good Edition
Tell me about the homebrew you're working on right now, /pgg/.

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Printing_press
strawpoll.com/8wgswwc2
docs.google.com/document/d/1QiBJEaPB3YGwRDcwQqYJPcNSNFOadyU_ydywa4Ctuoo/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posting again. I seem to finally have a bit of time on my hands to finalize the edits to the Unshackled Martials and write the iconic characters.

I have a question however, what levels would you all prefer to have pre-made characters at? The way Paizo does it is levels 1/4/7. I was considering doing the same, but also throwing in a level 12. 1/4/7/12 seems to cover most play.

Also for the UC Fighter/Cavalier/Gunslinger does anyone have any particular requests for racial/sex combinations? At the moment this is what I have considered:
>male hobgoblin UC fighter (career soldier/field commander)
>male orcish (or possibly half-orc) UC Cavalier (savage dire wolf rider) OR male human UC cavalier (camel riding hussar)
>female elven UC gunslinger (inventor) or male vanara UC gunslinger (rough and tumble desperado)

First for making dwarves great again!

When do you plan on finishing the Cavalier? I'd like to use it but all those comments hovering around it make me scared.

How do you create a character? Not from the mechanical side, but personality-wise. What do you think is required? Likes, Dislikes, their goals, what they want, etc? Do you base them off of things you've seen, or just do what you want?

NPCs that use 3PP.

I always start with a contradiction. Two traits, or linked sets of traits, that both offer good story options, but seemingly don't fit together. Then the rest of the character comes from filling in the gap.

How they got to their build.

>Ecclesitheurge Cleric with a Familiar as well
>Basically a Cleric Wizard with both bonds
Is this a good idea or a bad idea

Started diving into Avowed, looks like there's a lot of ground to cover. I'm very familiar with the inspiration from 3.5, but how does Avowed compare to Warlock?

you've asked this a bunch, it's an obvious answer

>should not exist in a world that still doesn't have the Printing Press

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Printing_press

I know this wasn't really isn't your point, but hey, lookie! Golarion does have the printing press. Did you guys know about this? Do you think the setting would be made more interesting if these were more wide-spread? Would it make sense for them to be more wide-spread?

If I'm asking a question repeatedly that apparently has an "obvious answer" then why would I keep asking it, huh

It's because nobody gave me (Yous) thats why

not sure if pic related or actually retarded

How does your character feel about fate, destiny, and the inevitable?

Centaur Seducer Witch: Yea or Neigh?

H O R S
P U C C I

"No, fuck you, I'm gonna kick your ass."

>centaur seducer witch

hold it right there I'm calling the cops

Are you the one who asked about it in Skyfall?

Serious question, are there other feats or magic item way to make one handed weapons count as light? Effortless Lace is a bit too expensive for my budget now and if I wanted Lighten Weapon feat, I'd just get Power Attack at that point since I'd have 13 str anyway. This is for using finessable but non light one handed weapons with Piranha Strike

>Implying that's a problem

3pp or Paizo only?

Hey all, with the Legendary Shifter hitting the editing stage soon, what other classes would you all like to see get the legendary treatment (from myself or other Legendary Games authors)?

As a note, there's already a legendary version of the following classes:

-Fighter
-Rogue
-Swashbuckler
-Kineticist
-Gunslinger
-Shifter
-Assassin

Slayer!

This wouldn't even be a huge project, since the chassis for the class is good, it just needs more content.

Always assume Paizo only until further notice.

Who the fuck are you?

Monk.

Both if thats ok

Legendary magus.

What are the criteria for getting the Legendary treatment? So far it looks like all low-tier classes, but does it have to be ones that Paizo really shit the bed on? Would Bloodragers or Slayers be too good?

It might be time for

LEGENDARY BARBARIAN

not because it needs it

but because it's cool

I'm N. Jolly, the designer for the Kineticists of Porphyra series, one of the authors for Spheres of Might, the premiere guide writer for Pathfinder, and writer for dozens of third party publishers for the Pathfinder roleplaying game, including Drop Dead Studios, Dreamscarred Press, Legendary Games, and Encounter Table Publishing.

I'm also one of the more playtest friendly devs out there, so most of my content is reviewed by people with commentary taken into consideration.

Hm, perhaps I should make a poll for this.

For most situations, it has to be a class that's considered 'bad.' Like if we see threads talking about 'Why is this thing suck?', we're far more likely to do a legendary book or rebuild. If we see people asking for content (like with brawler), we're more likely to simply do a content book rather than a full rebuild.

Asked in the last thread but didn't get a response: are there class guides for Starfinder? I didn't see any on Zenith. Do people just not care enough about Starfinder to make them?

Legendary Medium please. It really needs the love.

Give me my cute kitsune ghost-talkers.

Isn't there also one for Vigilantes already? Anyway my vote is for Cavaliers.

So how did Shardwalkers go today after all that talk about it?

Do you break chains as well?

Y'know, thinking about it, you are to Pathfinder what TreantMonk was to 3.5

Except you're actually publishing material now, that's cool.

What the fuck is your obsession with Kitsune? Is this just a trolling thing?

Barbarian was one that was being thrown around, right now I'm looking to find out what people want so we can focus on making something awesome.

We do have a little love for this in Occult Archetypes I and II, but I can bring this up to the bossman.

There is, but it's not a rebuild because I love the vigilante class and want it to be amazing. I listed only the rebuilt classes, there's way more books that are class content without rebuilds.

Yes, yes I do.

I actually take this as a huge compliment. Treantmonk was a big influence in me becoming a guide writer, as I always loved the way he wrote. I expanded upon the template he made for guides with my own because I really enjoy this game, and I want for everyone to be able to play it without needing to dumpster dive for content. This game should be spent playing it, not needing a degree in order to make a decent build.

He really likes them, user, it's as simple as that. He posts them in /4eg/ OPs too.

>Treantmonk

You mean a guy who packaged up the obvious consensus on what full casters played like and presented it all in the most useless and obnoxious way possible without ever updating?

Well, other than your poor taste in anime pictures, you seem okay.

Considering he made Core-only guides, he didn't really need to update much.

Yeah well, the 2000s were a different era.

>core-only guides
The fuck is the point.

>Daidōji
>poor taste

>captcha: stop les port

All anime is poor taste, user.

The person wrote guides in a different time, and without him, I wouldn't have started doing guides. I appreciate him giving the foundation of how best to incorporate them.

What's anime?

Here's a strawpoll so I can start to gauge how people feel on the topic:

strawpoll.com/8wgswwc2

What's Cleric doing on there?

He wants a return to CoDzilla days.

Legendary rebuilds aren't always about making a class more powerful, sometimes they can be about making a class more interesting, giving more than just domain and spell choice as points of optimization.

A grave mistake.

They flaked. Session will happen 4 weeks from now.

Is this true or just bullshit?

Can we choose PRCs? if so Dragon Disciple.

If not make a Medium and go full Shaman King.

He's good civilization.

Yeah, Cleric's... pretty boring all told.

Its design is how old now? When was 3.0 released? And how much did it change from 2.0?

Yeah someone needs to bring back Divine Metamagic.

Dragon Disciple is actually kind of fine on its own, what it needs is a class that actually makes use of all its stuff without gimping itself

>Dragon Disciple Sorcerer archetype that leans toward gishiness at the cost of kneecapping its spells

yeah but what if Jolly just writes a 1-20 one instead?

With Bloodrager and those feats that give prestige classes their caster levels back, DD is better than it has been in a long time.

So here's something unpopular:

What about Unchained Sorcerer?

I want to be, like, a Charisma based "pure caster," but I want to be more control/utility than "party support." And I want to have skills instead of lolololol 2+Int and a shit class skill list.

>being misogynistic is consistent with being lawful good
>NPCs aren't allowed to like having their free gender swap
>There is no such thing as male gender stereotypes that are shitty
You are a retard.
I find it funny that this is what people complain about on a site previously known for wanting to be the little girl, in a board for games that people played to get away from jocks

I'm not sure that'd be viable, as it's a very narrow concept. Like it's cool, but I've got a ton of dragon content locked away in other places that'll hopefully fill that niche.

I don't entirely disagree here, and I probably should have put Sorc on the list for the same reason that I put cleric on there (wizard could fit too, but I'm not gonna touch that).

Sorc is a very 'boring' class.

Question about Duettist Bard. Does your familiar get the same versatile performance as you, or can it pick a different one?

What about a leadership rebuild. It would be nice to have something for human(oid) minions that aren't summons and isn't a bullshit OP feat, or my shitty shameless plug docs.google.com/document/d/1QiBJEaPB3YGwRDcwQqYJPcNSNFOadyU_ydywa4Ctuoo/edit?usp=sharing homebrew.

>A feat for Occultists to carry charms so that they don't HAVE to use specific implements for a Panoply, so a lot of Occultist's archetypes can join in on the fun
>An Occultist panoply based around fear, domination, and jealously fighting control from foes attempting to do the same to allies
>An Occultist archetype in which you use a manifestation of your magical energy as your implements, represented as a ball of... Stuff that floats around you. It probably functions as a Ioun Wyrd familiar when you aren't actually "wielding" it. Cha-based archetype, because of course it is.

Thanks for the poll. I checked out your Legendary Gunslinger playtest a while back and was impressed with the ideas, and moreover, your swift and direct responses to feedback.

When working on a legendary version of a class that already has received the "unchained" treatment, does that come into consideration? Either in emulating something you like in the unchained class, or in intentionally avoiding overlap? Or do you try to work around the strictly the base class?

Also, for the record, I chose Investigator, because I think it's highly interesting thematically, but as a hybrid class, it's spread quite thin and just a bit awkward. It has a lot of potential for fine tuning, but also for carving out a distinct niche based on its themes.

The Bloodrager still doesn't really "make use of" the casting, at least not to any degree that isn't just "lets you hit harder".

I mean.

To be fair.

For a class that's half barbarian, that makes a certain line of sense doesn't it?

Well yea. That doesn't contradict the point that nothing really makes full use of Dragon Disciple. Bloodrager being "the best use" is kind of sad, if anything.

Are there any kinds of armor in general that are
considered really fashionable?

What if he wants to be like Ryu from the Breath of Fire series? Being able to shapeshift into a bunch of different dragons seems like it could be fun.

Compare it to the "Stealth" of Inquisitor and the "Combat" of Warpriest. Why not make it the "Face" for divine casting?

So, uh. What sort of items are you supposed to spend your dosh on in Starfinder? Anything in particular?

It wasn't a consensus when he wrote the guides.

>Why not make it the "Face" for divine casting?
You mean an Oracle?

> (wizard could fit too, but I'm not gonna touch that)
Don't need to, Occult Adventures already gave us the Unchained Wizard.

Seconded, I mean, out of all the clerics I've played that's almost inevitably what I've become in those games.

Are there any notable alternate racials for half-elves, given that I'm RP limited?

As someone who plays a lot of divine casters, I'd never play a cleric ever. 100% of what clerics do can be done more competently, and with more extra options, by Oracles, Shamans and Druids.

If that's the case, I'd suggest waiting for the dragon touched coming out in Legendary Shifters.

No, CHA-casting does not a face make. Especially since Oracles are more themed around their curses and mysteries; they already have a fluff to them. Clerics have practically no fluff beyond Channel Energy implying that they have some care for healing and/or undead.

>. Clerics have practically no fluff beyond Channel Energy
What? Clerics have plenty of fluff? You're thinking of class features.

different user, but seriously SoP's Transformation feats still does that shit better than that class does, for people who want to have one big, cool form. Almost frustrating.

They blend together my dude. Cleric class features tell me NOTHING about what a cleric actually is besides a caster of divine spells. They aren't like a Druid, which has several features pointing towards the protection of nature or a connection to fey trickery. They aren't like a Shaman, with their benevolent "hexes" and their talking to spirits. And they absolutely don't hold a candle to 6th-level casters with oodles of fluff and features like Inquisitor, Occultist, Alchemist, or even Bard. Clerics are boring as fuck.

That's because 90% of their fluff is centered about the god they serve/worship/promote.

Isn't that what the object of their worship and subsequent domain choice is for?

This a Cleric's fluff comes from their gods. They don't really need a bunch of cluttered features to convey what they are. They're warrior priests who curry their god's favor.

No arguments here, but some people don't want to learn a subsystem to play this type of character.

For those of you selecting Magus, what exactly about the class do you think needs redone? What are your issues with the base class? Same question for those who selected Medium or Cavalier. I want to get an idea of what's considered problem areas of the classes from the perspective of players.

They don't deserve 3/4 BAB.

Despite having 3/4 BAB and proficiency in Medium Armor, I get the feeling some people still refuse to accept that Clerics are anything but healbots meanwhile. Up until some Cleric players casts some buffs and start smiting people that is

I know somebody who was banned from Clerics because he got a bunch of complaints from the Fighters

Does anyone else play notthing but Charisma-based casters and initiators because you want an excuse to not dump it?

Oh boy, two domains and a weapon. THAT is the pinnacle of customization, right there.

You actually don't even have to learn the subsystem. Transformation requires the BAREST knowledge of Spheres at all. Ya don't even have to be a caster.

>I was more referring to the stuff about Erastil being retconed because "A lawful good deity couldn't possibly be misogynistic."

Kingmaker Erastil was absolutely misogynistic, he scoffed at female clerics or Paladins venturing far from their home and his "Erastil on other deities" reads like a stereotypical 1950s father. While these aren't in and of themselves bad for a god, they're bad for one that deigns to be Lawful Good. None of the other Lawful Good deities are this restrictive. He's still the God of Community, Country Living and being a Good and Caring Daddy, so it's not like he *lost* anything from the changes.

>Or the NPC who was cursed with the belt of Opposite Gender and "Finally felt at home in the body they always knew they belonged to."

Are you referring to the Elf in Maiden, Mother and Crone? While I would agree that it's a little eye-rolling that he got all comfy with his sexy ass and ample bosom, it makes a little more sense when you figure he's been living in a Cave (heh, I wonder what that's supposed to represent) literally drenched in Feminine energy and has a long enough life to feel what it's like to be the sexy girl before getting his penis back.

>More recently, how the entry for the Incubus in Book of the Damned describing them as the embodiment of "toxic masculinity"

You've got Demon Lords representing toxic motherhood and Hags representing feminine spite, why can't there be a Demon to represent Toxic Masculinity, which most certainly exists? They're forceful rapists, user. They're not good people. Succubi aren't good people either, but you don't get people pointing out how they're toxic feminists (I'm not going to drag you into an alley, I'm just going to seduce you and suck your soul out, that sorta thing.)