Fallout: Florida

I want to run a game of Fallout set in Florida. What should be in it?

Also throw system recommendations at me. I've looked into Fallout PnP (2.0) and GURPS already, but I'd like to know if there's better stuff out there I haven't heard of.

Pic related is an abandoned Disney park, River Country. Some kid died from an amoeba in the water.

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker
youtube.com/watch?v=Ju0yn0qHeEQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams
cracked.com/personal-experiences-2442-so-perfect-its-creepy-i-live-in-city-designed-by-disney.html
drunkandugly.com/tag/happiest-waste-on-earth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Apparently there were plans to have the tactics Brotherhood game's sequel set there, but that game got cancelled and all that's left is this concept art for a mutant croc

Toxic irradiated swamps.

Plenty of Bloodbugs, maybe bloodbug queens.

Swampfolk.

Plenty of resort towns.

I don’t think there are many military installations in Florida though.

Can't you literally rip the skill and perk systems straight from FO3/NV? Like, roll D100

>What should be in it?
Gator-human hybrids(pic related). Sunken Vaults. "Florida Man" as a ghoul/god-king. Man sized mosquitos. Disney's cryogenically frozen head.

Cubans would be the default enemy communist element.

I'd run it with Hero System. But I'd run just about anything in Hero System.

There's a good amount and there's the Kennedy Space Center.

Fallout PnP is basically that but with the Fallout 2 system. I'm not sure it's the best framework for a game without a videogame's limitations, though.

Forgot image

>Kennedy Space Center
I feel like you could do something really cool with the Fallout setting and the Orion Project.

Florida also has a city named Hollywood that was created specifically to compete with the original in filmmaking. Pic unrelated

Pirates, gay raiders that are holed up in a bar, football. There’s the basics

Right, so tons of space stuff. Except I think the Cuban Revolution was after the timeline divergence. Cuba may still be an American puppet.

Damn, that's a really good concept for a main plot. Cheers, user

Where the fuck did you get that rumor from?

Every now and then have a radio announcer tell the listeners a new tale about the newest adventures of Florida Man.
of course the pc's exploits may wind up on the show as well

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

I don't think they ever touched on it. IIRC the big scary enemy in 3 is Red China. Also I think the war kicks off in like 2100, so there's a lot of open space to put whatever you want in.

That's what I was thinking.
>Cabal wants to launch the Orion and fuck off to colonize Mars.
>The inhabitants of Florida is a small price to pay.

>What should be in it?
Disney World, of course. Maybe inhabited by a cult worshipping Disney characters as gods or something. Maybe have a New Miami as the game's New Reno, this time with people LARPing 80s drug dealer types instead of old timey mafia. Also there's the Coral Castle, maybe it really was made by a psyker and is now the site of some psionic weirdness.

>fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2
I like the GECK gon wild explanation for why it's all jungle instead of wasteland. I don't think I'd go so far as having a radioactive GECK as an antagonist.

I do want Kudzo monsters though.

>psyker
>psionic weirdness
Please tell me shit like this isn't cannon.

Nukagators and modern day Floridians, nothing else needed.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker
It's in every Fallout game.

Point Lookout

So like mama Murphy, that weird kid under that trade post bridge in NV(I think it was i15) others?

Do RE7 with swampfolk.

Fallout is a weird sci-fi retrofuturistic setting, of course it has psychic bullshit in it.

Would be really good if the players think their is a human antagonist. But it wall just wild rumors and misdirection, it really was a malfunction all along.

You do realize the central villain of the very first Fallout game was an incredibly powerful telepathic mutant, right? Just being in the same room as him would hurt you if you didn't have a special piece of headgear.

Anyone wanna point a possible location out on the map?

how would fallout florida be different from regular florida?

>Kennedy Space Center.
Wasn't Vault-Tech's big plan to use the war and vaults for human testing of space colony shit? That would make Florida the center of their post-War activity.

>all that's left is this concept art for a mutant croc
No, they used that design for the Nuke World DLC.

>tfw when I am making a Fallout PnP game
It will not be done for a while, but I did not like the system being used in the one that currently is. trying to create something simpler and quicker. might post it here when the Player's handbook is done

Unfortunately, most important cities weren’t really settled in Florida until after the fifties, when the timeline split, because so much of Florida is swamps. You can still go with the important ones, miami, Orlando, etc, they’d just probably have little to do with how they are IRL (which could be good if you want to make stuff up).

Outside of that, you could do the Everglades, or the Florida keys, which are more carribean in weather climes than anywhere else in the country. If you want some sailing, you could also reasonably reach the Bahamas. Or perhaps go to the panhandle which is more akin to the deep-south, especially if you want evil redneck swampfolk (or perhaps good red neck swampfolk).

In wake of that nuclear missile false alarm that happened to Hawaii, what would a Fallout style post apocalyptic Hawaii look like? I feel like apocalypse islands aren’t really explored too much in fiction

Jesus christ man I was panicking when I got that shit.
But consider that the rain is more acidic then most other places, so you're probably going to see ruins fade fast, especially on Big Island where there's still volcanic activity.
Also, most of the plants are good at poking through lava flows quickly, we're talking 'Ohia, and some of the ferns, so you're going to see rainforests.
If you're talking the Big Island, it would make a decent setting because there are a bunch of different climates there. Arid deserts, rainforests, even snow on the mountain.

The newer islands, the cluster around Maui and Big Island have sea cliffs that drop straight into open ocean depths, so if you're going a mutant heavy setting, theres potential for some serious monsters off the shore.

You either have to do island hopping in some form or have everything stuffed into one island. Oahu and Hawaii are the best candidates for that. With the recent Hokulea, island hopping wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Nascar Cult. The Talladega Knights. Long range forays along old highways.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju0yn0qHeEQ

F L O R I D A - M A N
Even in the irradiated world of tomorrow there must be Florida-man. If you're going to add VATS into the system and someone takes the mysterious stranger perk you can play with it a bit and have him be an extension of this and do some crazy shit from time to time based on the dice roll. One second he's doing the normal shit where he pops in, shoots a guy, and disappears, and he next he's managed to hogtie a young gatorclaw and is using it as a melee weapon.

You can steal the idea of nukaworld from fallout 4 to use as Disneyworld.

Either completely dead due to a direct nuke hit, or no direct damage but problems of fallout from the main land/sea monsters.

I'm actually running this exact scenario now, in a slightly modified version of All flesh Must Be Eaten's Unisystem.

The players have only just left their vault but it seems fun so far

The Master had couple of them in his service in Fallout 1, I think that the your tribe's shaman might be one in Fallout 2.

Personally I would make the Disneyworld a base of operations for a mouse worshipping cult. Have pre-war Disney to have got back in the business of making pro-USA propaganda (and couple film reels/holotapes survive) and you can have them running around looking for "Chinese" to sacrifice to their gods.

How is that system? Good?

It's flexible and rules light enough to suit my purposes, and is appropriately lethal for a game set in the fallout universe.

As I said though, the game's just started, so any rules issues it may have might just not have come up yet.

Would you say that you could take some aspects of the system and apply it to others?

Well as I said, it's generic and rules light, so there's not a huge amount that's unique enough to be worth porting over to another system?

Ah. I just wanted to include some good zombie rules for a game.

>Many cities in Florida didn't exist until after the 1950s.
This prompted me to learn more about the history of Miami. During WWII much of Miami was converted into training centers for military personnel. Which could continue on or make a resurgence in the later timeline. The Cuban revolution in the early 1960s should probably happen similarly to allow that Cubano flavor to come into the city with the fleeing Cubans being both praised for fighting and rejecting Communism and feared for being potential spies and double agents.

Quickly glancing at the rest of the history of the state, much of the growth of Orlando and Tampa was a direct result of WWII military bases and military personnel returning. Add to that a Lockheed Martin expat's presence in the state and you could justify many historical sites between 1947 and 1965 growing similarly.

Disneyland has already been mentiones but what about EPCOT, Disney's planned "city of tomorrow"? Maybe disney didn't die when he did in our timeline, and he lived long enough to build it? And then when war was on the horizon built a protective bubble over it, and now it's inhabitants have been living the retrofuturistic life for the decades/centuries since the bomb fell in total comfort, and are only now opening the doors due to some issue that needs resolving

Like the institute but not autistic?

That could be something. As the war with China dragged on, more and more of the city was used as training facilities.making it a prime target for the nukes.

Yeah with a touch less "science for the sake of it" kinda idiocy

>the reason supermutants exist in Boston at all is because the institute found some FEV and basically decided to fuck about with it and release the monsters it spawned "just because"

Fucking stupid

It is Bethesda, what did you expect? Them not throwing in supermutants just because or bothering to come up with a halfway decent reason why they're there?

Man FO4 lore is just depressing. It sucks ass knowing that the series is a zombie now.

Our only hope is elder scrolls does a turnaround

Bruh, just come to florida for like a week in july. You'll get your post apocalypse jollies without ever filling out a character sheet

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams

user, the problem is Vault-Tec is no longer a thing. They had plans to use vaults all right, but they never considered the war will actually happen. They got wiped out, and all that's left are vaults.

You really think Vault-Tec didn't have its own vaults?

Considering how much they cost, they probably didn't have their own outside of a small demo vault. When shit did go down, they probably evacuated to the nearest civilian vault and quietly disabled the vault experiment. Either that or evacuated to their private tropical island retreat.

As if costs were a concern. Come on now.

Every single Vault-tec employee of any importance is probably frozen in some tube based on predictions hundred of times more accurate than whatever they fed the government and the people.

The point is - Vault-Tec failed to both conduct their experiment and perform the Star Ark project. The plan was roughtly this: due to excessive war paranoia, get people into vaults, then in ensuring war chaos keep them inside for as long as possible and collect as much data for Ark project. This obviously failed, since the war pretty much wiped out US out of map, Vault-Tec included. So the vaults ended up ironically playing their role as shelters, despite not being really designed with that goal in mind. Out of them all, Vault City is probably the most successful example, doubly so since it was in a control batch of the experiment (so no weird shit going in Vault 8, aside the accidental shipment of water chips)
Then there is Enclave meddling with the whole Vault experiment, but even they are aware they lack resources to go to space. Nor see a point for it.

It's semi-canonical that Hawaii are safe and sound in Fallout verse (guys from BIS discussed this in an interview in '97)

Seeing how weird the actual Disney towns are...
cracked.com/personal-experiences-2442-so-perfect-its-creepy-i-live-in-city-designed-by-disney.html

No I’m pretty sure vault-Tec is Gone. They were meant to sound an all-clear signal to vault 111 and never did, and there seems to have never been any follow up on the experiments at any vault regardless of if it was ‘successful’ or not.

They may have been folded into the Enclave, who were active in the immediete aftermath of the war (there are quite a few military dispatches and communiques you can find from the first few weeks after) but the Enclave has seemed to lost any interest in the vaults outside of genetic stock.

>Ice cream machines break
>open door to get mechanic because current one is sick
>everything is mutated and/or on fire
>slowly close door

>It's semi-canonical that Hawaii are safe and sound in Fallout verse (guys from BIS discussed this in an interview in '97)
Source?

if I recall, all the vault tec scientists were to retreat to their own master vault to survey the experiments.

But I think the game it was supposed to be in was never finished or it became non canon or something

'The Drunk and The Ugly' did a Fallout campaign set in Florida based around not! Disneyland.

drunkandugly.com/tag/happiest-waste-on-earth/

I think that’s tactics, which is semi-cannon (we know there are Enclave and BOS outposts in Chicago).

McCoy AFB. It's a bunker now with some Army reserve units in it but during the cold war it was a nuclear fighter bomber base next to the Orlando regional airport (now Orlando International Airport).

There's also a small town near Orlando called Christmas.

Patrick AFB down near Melbourne and Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral are good locations too.

Cocoa Beach and Cocoa Village would probably be good places to have if you're going to include Kennedy and Patrick.