magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Do we really need all these Art Sources?
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

scryfall.com/sets/ps15
media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/MagicCompRules 20180119.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any of these too busted/useless?

I'm not great at judging power or practical use, but to me these seem like things so narrow they'd be classified as junk rares. Only caring about legendary creatures isn't great in the first place, but also only caring about ones your opponents control means you can't even build a deck around these things, because they'll always be contingent on the opponent playing legendary creatures, which is something you won't be able to predict most of the time.

Trying to figure out what I want UG to do, so I'm trying this Not-curiosity effect theme.

Feels very inconstant in power level. None of these are broken due to how inconsistent the trigger is, but they all feel very different in strength.

Like, the U and B one feel extremely fair, and are almost uncommon worthy, while the R and U one can easily blow your opponent out with a trigger that is big enough.

I am curious to what inspired this cycle.

I originally had them trigger off of any legendary creature's death, including your own, but that often got out of hand (particularly with HOU Gods), so I erred on the side of caution.

I'm doing a set based on Dark Souls where legendary creatures matter. Flavorwise, you're transmuting the soul of a legendary creature you've defeated.

Your advice in mind, I'll probably change them all to uncommon and reworking WRG to not care about what the legendary creature was, to make the cycle have a tighter identity.

>Trying to figure out what I want UG to do, so I'm trying this Not-curiosity effect theme.
The theme is... the bog-standard combat damage trigger?

The idea is for her to be a commander for a GWU enchantress deck, not to replace enchantresses in other formats.

I like your idea, but she seems weaker than Bruna Light of Alabaster - the keyword is weaker, the commander damage body is smaller, and I can't imagine the strength of going wide with auras.

Were there cards you had in mind to work with this?

I'd rather run angus in an enchantment deck to be honest.

Repostan

Well the set has Renowned so yes, a lot of bogg'n.

It's a shame there's nothing in-between UU and 1UU

This doesn't need the Climactic stuff. It's frankly pretty fine on it's own. In a lot of cases this is a better Swerve that costs 1 more, which would be fine, and in the other cases it's a slightly better cancel, which is still fine.
If you are really worried about this things power level with out Climactic, you could make it cost UUU.

Yeah he's strong, just sucks that he's so expensive and is named fucking Angus

>It's frankly pretty fine on it's own.
>It is frankly pretty fine on it is own.
>on it is own.

I'm lucky that I got mine when he was like 30 dollars.

God fucking damn it this reminded me I had thought of a way to do legendary spells inspired by someone's version in this thread but I forget to make a card and save it. Fuck.

That's a shame. I want to develop Climactic, but I really didn't feel comfortable putting it at UU, even with the keyword. At UU on cast it would be somewhere between Counterspell and Mana Drain, and could later pitch to FoW in formats that aren't singleton, which is too much as far as I'm concerned.

I could kinda buff it by replacing permanent with creature, which is probably more flavor-appropriate anyways.

>Its a shame there's nothing in-between UU and 1UU

You could always add a "Target land you control doesn't untap during your next untap step" clause to it to give the player access to it at 2 mana but still cost 3 mana total.

Red feels like the strongest here.
Also imagine this in commander, Derevi decks on suicide watch.

Is the user who used black frames and weird templating in the previous tread still here? I'm curious what program he was using.

ok, am I the only one that thinks this piece of shit looks like an absolutely craptastic CCG card that people would rip apart?

God WTF has Wizards been doing...

This thread is about making custom cards. Cry somewhere else.

Probably just a format in MSE.

There's all sorts of MSE custom templates. He was probably using one of those.

Yes, this card has no creature types. No, I'm not going to add any. The entire point of the character is that he has multiple backstories and it's impossible to tell which one is true. Among the possible stories he could be a an angel who was neutral during the war in Heaven, a scientist stuck in a time loop, or Judas Iscariot.

But going beyond that, I'm pretty sure this is done, so I'll probably just put it into the finished folder unless anyone can suggest something that should be changed.

I hope he's gone forever.

That was me, fuck you dude, you hurt my feelings.

Hey user

the black frames were actually taken from official MTG cards given out during conventions, like both san diego comic-cons.

i simply edited these a little, found the magic text formats online, matched up the sizes and used photoshop.

you can find the cards I used here:

scryfall.com/sets/ps15

Here's my card as it is currently. I'm making more but i'm being more conscious about their wording etc before posting to not upset the autists, like

LOOK WHAT YOU DID

Nobody cares about your feelings, or your shitty cards.

why are you guys so upset? do you go outside? why are you so angsty about someone posting digital cards on the internet.

ps. using programs are for lazy autists.

also using mtg-style wording is great, but it's also lazy and for autists. someone wanted me to put home counters on a card that didn't need them and in doing so changed the entire functionality of the card. it's pretty subjective tbhfam.

It's not like these are meant to be played seriously, or in modern.

I will remind the thread that it's best not to respond to trolls. So if you see any in the thread, please don't respond to them.

A Targeted sacrifice effect? Idk maybe it's already been done but it seems a little strong, then in top of that your going to kill another creature? Paying 4 Mana to kill a shit ton of creatures that usually can't be killed seems strong enough on its own.

Like the rest of these a lot though, and primal seems really good, but Pulops Chosen looks like it could maybe be fine at uncommon

Should gain vigilance on that attack imo. He seems quite weak but at least attacking would be attractive. I guess it would be a white card then but honestly why does red even want a 1/7 for 4 anyway.

>Grip of Tar
>Artifact and enchantment destruction in Black.
How about no.

might bump him up to 2/7 and give him an ability throw his sword as a tap effect for 2 direct damage.

That was me, and only because it would be annoying to keep track of which land is which, especially if you have multiple of this guy out.

Mercy Killing, Arcum, Barrins Spite, and the Polymorphs do it.

However I hear what you're saying. Should it be exile, and that player gets the token? Or should I make it sacrifice A permanent and reduce the cost/make it instant?

or no tap effect, but pay a cost, he throws the sword for direct damage, then gets -2/-0 until the next turn.

Added mana cost to ability and number of tokens created now scales with spell's CMC.

Giovanni Zatara was the father of Zatanna Zatara, and like her, was both a stage magician and real magician (ie, spellcaster). This hat is supposed to represent using magic in order to catch spells inside it, then producing doves, an animal used in classic magic tricks.

This seems decent. Maybe decrease the cost to 3 or 2.

>using mtg-style wording is great, but it's also lazy
What the fuck did he mean by that?

>using programs are for lazy autists.
What, you drew it by hand?

I don't feel confident that the wording is correct, flavor is a Druid that can turn into a poisonous snake.

A few choices for this.

You could just change the first ability
>Whenever ~ attacks, if its power is 1, it gains deathtouch until end of turn.
This could be changed to any number of other triggers.

Or you could combine abilities.
>1: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a Snake with base power 1 and gains deathtouch.

You could probably make the ability work similarly to skinshifter.

I used to come to these threads like three years ago. I stopped coming here for a while and last I checked these threads weren't being made anymore. Did I miss something or did ccg disappear for a while?

Part of me feels there's too much utility here to be healthy, but WotC seems to love to make super-pushed uncommons these days so I guess it's on-par with their current philosophy. I might be inclined to say make it a 3/3, then go with 's second suggestion. It's the cleanest, I feel.

Honestly I'd play this as a Birb generator and just keep playing middling spells to it to make tokens, then bounce it to get the cards back and do it again. I agree it might be able to be cheaper to cast, but also remember artifact and enchantment hate is more rare outside draft except as a sideboard when it's meta-necessary so you do have to keep that in mind.

I feel like instead of "bottom of the library" you could attach a cost to it and have it bounce back to its owner's hand if the cost is paid if it would die. Might be a bit too much synergy but if you make the cost something high but not outrageous it could be fair and interesting. Especially since it itself seems to want to play with ETB strats, so it enabling its own ETB ability in turn is sort of satisfying to me.

So, I sort of feel like this should be a Legendary creature. It just feels kind of like a Commander.

They have been around, but are very slow these days. Threads often last for nearly a week. Most of the regulars are gone; there are still a few of us that pop in though.

Same, I used to post in here a few years ago and have been working on some cards lately so I looked up the CCG threads.

Here are some new cards and some updated cards.
>Basking: Removed defender
>Shark: new card
>Tar: Removed it being a targeted sacrifice, changed to exile.
>Mindleech: This is new, supposed to be a good finisher for blue
>Primal: New card, white combat trick at common
>Set Camp: Newish card. Added a clause to be similar to tithe.
>Spiral: Another blue common, new card.

Grip of Tar should only hit creatures or planeswalkers. Period.

Oh fuck, and lands. I always forget Black hitting lands.

So, "Exile target creature, land or planeswalker.

Create a 1/1 black and green Ooze creature token with deathtouch and defender."

Seems to work. A land converting to a tar pit makes sense too.

Primal as an ETB replacement effect should come first on almost any card. The only things that precede it are cast modifiers (like Flash or Convoke) or cast triggers.

???

And now I wait to find the true answer lol

>Hat
Sounds good. Guess I'll put it down to 3 for now.

>Phantom Stranger
Hmm. Maybe give a choice to bounce to top or bottom of the library? And wow, you just made me realize I've designed this along the lines of the WU draft archetype for Kaladesh.

>card
Card seems OK, unsure about it being a legendary though.

Might as well post my own stealing creature.

Sounds good to me. Well, I do have to ask about the colors of the token. Couldn't it just be Black?

The answer is:
>Evergreen keywords
>Set-specific keywords including those dealing with ETB stuff
>Other ability text
>Keywords dealing with graveyard stuff/ability words

Unleash gets lumped with the static abilities due to its second half, despite its first half being a replacement effect.

The rough order is typically
>Cast modifiers
>Cast triggers
>Replacement effects
>Keywords
>Static effects
>Triggered abilities
>Activated abilities

Alternative costs get thrown in all sorts of places. Emerge and Bestow, for example, go between cast modifiers and cast triggers, but Evoke goes at the very end. Delve has one counter example, in Tombstalker, (and in fact wasn't even consistent in its own block with Logic Knot and Death Rattle) before they standardized it for Tarkir. Additional costs get lumped with the cast modifiers, except for Conspire, which goes last.

Glad to hear!

The other ooze tokens in the set are BG.

>>Replacement effects
>>Keywords
Doesn't seem to be universal.

>i don't know what a replacement effect is :(
Why are you even in this thread?

media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/MagicCompRules 20180119.txt

>614. Replacement Effects
>614.1. Some continuous effects are replacement effects. Like prevention effects (see rule 615), replacement effects apply continuously as events happen—they aren’t locked in ahead of time. Such effects watch for a particular event that would happen and completely or partially replace that event with a different event. They act like “shields” around whatever they’re affecting.
>[...]
>614.1c Effects that read “[This permanent] enters the battlefield with . . . ,” “As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ,” or “[This permanent] enters the battlefield as . . . “ are replacement effects.
You're right, people who don't know what replacement effects are shouldn't be in this thread.

So why haven't you left? It's a static effect, not a replacement. Even what you quoted backs that up.

>614.1c Effects that read “[This permanent] enters the battlefield with . . . ,” “As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ,” or “[This permanent] enters the battlefield as . . . “ are replacement effects.

Forget your glasses? Let me help.

>614.1c Effects that read [...] “As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ," [...] are replacement effects.

Oh, and here;s another rule.

>112.6g An object’s ability that modifies how that particular object enters the battlefield functions as that object is entering the battlefield. See rule 614.12.

Hmm, sounds to me like this could be talking about an effect that reads "As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ,".

But enough rules, let's look at a card. How about Thief of Blood?

>As Thief of Blood enters the battlefield, remove all counters from all permanents. Thief of Blood enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each counter removed this way.

Well, that certainly looks like an effect that reads "As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ," if only we had direct confirmation. Wait a minute, what's this ruling on Gatherer?

>If more than one Thief of Blood enters the battlefield at the same time, you can apply the replacement effect of any of them. That one will enter with additional +1/+1 counters due to its own ability and the others will not.

Oh, replacement effect? I wonder what that could be. Well, something tells me they aren't calling Flying a replacement effect. So, this is just a wild guess, but I think they might be talking about that second ability. You know, that effect that reads "As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ,"

>It's a static effect, not a replacement.
Static effect? I wonder what that is, because the Magic rules make no mention of them. How odd.

Core set cards!

The goal right now is to complete the core set, then finish my custom set (pinwheel user) to create something of my own Standard environment.

Core set first. It's a lot more relaxing to develop.

Errytime I post these, I gotta ask, what kind of effects would you want to see in a core set?

What are your all time favorite core set survivors?

What strategies do you think are the most "MTG" strategies ever? (Elf Tribal, Red Deck Wins burn, suicide black etc.)

>I didn't post the cards
I'm a genius!

Super armor from... Apokolips, I think. Makes the user superhuman, but drains the user's life.

Think I said this before, but one of my favorite Core Set cards is Elixir of Immortality.

As for "strategies" I suggest following what Wizards tends to do now, creating dual-color uncommon cards that are representative of that dual-color archetype in draft.

Oh yeah, and I think you mentioned something earlier about having both Elf and Goblin tribal. I'm not sure about having any tribal in a core set, much less two tribes at once.

>Bring Down
Strictly better Plummet? Also, not entirely sure how I feel about the returning nonevergreen keyword being Cycling. Just kinda bland I guess. You have any others?

>Woad Warrior
Meh.

>Soul of the Forest
Hmm... I like the design, but maybe bump up to XGG?

>Think I said this before, but one of my favorite Core Set cards is Elixir of Immortality.
O I totally added this, btw.

> not entirely sure how I feel about the returning nonevergreen keyword being Cycling. Just kinda bland I guess
Bland is the goal. Cycling, to me, feels like the most evergreen non-evergreen keyword on MTG. Which is the goal. I'm trying to make the set as simply MTG as possible.

>Hmm... I like the design, but maybe bump up to XGG?
Is already behind the curve at XG. Is intended to be a strong finisher, so I think I'm ok with it. Once the set fills out, I'll see how it does in limited.

>Is already behind the curve at XG.
How? Endless One? But this gets Trample and it can't be countered. Big pluses for something you're going to invest a ton of mana in.

Endless One is colorless. Green typically gets P/T above CMC, not 1 behind.

For reference, Mistcutter Hydra is very similar.

MC Hydra has pro U and haste though. That's a big deal.

>Burnout (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is in exile, you lose life equal to the number of cards that share a name with it in exile that you own.)

How about that as a mechanic?

It feels very punishing, and player's don't have fun getting punished by their own cards.

If you want to make cards that have a big downside to make up for their big pushed power level, it should really be stand alone cards and not an entire mechanic.

In other news, gotta sell those packs right?

...right?

This is a bad idea, isn't it...

>Green typically gets P/T above CMC, not 1 behind.
Yes, X-cost creatures are inefficient for the same reason Charms are: Flexibility.
I can't even fathom why this has to be explained to you.

>what do you like to see in Core Sets
Commons that push NWO to the breaking point. I miss being able to make more complex commons freely. I sort of agree with NWO, and usually design to be compliant, but dammit I want commons that can freely be awesome sometimes and sometimes you need verbosity to do that.

>This gets trample and can't be countered, so it should be XGG
>Mistcutter Hydra is very similar for XG
>Yeah, Haste and protection from blue. Pro U and haste is a big deal!
Like, are you trying to say that Mistcutter Hydra should be XGG or something?

>Commons that push NWO to the breaking point.
Ooo that's a good idea. I know *just* the thing.

Do you know how Trample works?

Do you know that having Trample on a big body is better than having Haste on a big body?

Do you know the only X-cost "~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it" creatures that have Trample are Lifeblood Hydra and Primordial Hydra (conditionally), the first being XGGG and the second being XGG?

A U version of Grim Pyromancer is interesting, but i feel scry 2 or 3 is a much more fair comparison to a shock. Repeatable card advantage is always good, while a repeatable shock can come up short easily.

Seems very fine.

>pushing NWO
I think this is honestly the best practice, as it it allows you as a designer to experiment with both controlling yourself to not go too crazy, but still be creative and wild.

>Do you know that having Trample on a big body is better than having Haste on a big body?
Haste is arguably better. Fewer options for responses before it swings.

>Do you know the only X-cost "~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it" creatures that have Trample are Lifeblood Hydra and Primordial Hydra (conditionally), the first being XGGG and the second being XGG?
Ok what!?
Lifeblood Hydra is built for EDH and literally is an X/X slapped onto a fucking Sphinx's Revelation.

Primordial an exponentially self-empowering mythic rare....

I really don't see how they compare to each other in any way.

>Haste is arguably better. Fewer options for responses before it swings.
In the early game, sure. But what about the late game, when you have a lot of mana to put into it? Your opponents will probably have set up defenses, at least a chump blocker to take the first hit.

>I really don't see how they compare to each other in any way.
I'm not comparing them to each other. I'm just pointing out they're the only X-cost "~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it" creatures with Trample. Dear god, do you need me to explain why I brought them up? Because you made an X-cost "~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it" creature with Trample. The point is to show that this doesn't happen at just XG. It's precedence.

>but i feel scry 2 or 3 is a much more fair
I agree... on the other hand, gotta sell them packs...

Will probably end up at Scry 2 if it does stick in the set.

I think this printed in a random set really misses a lot of context that Grim has.

Grim was printed in a set with a big focus on graveyard as a resource pile, including Threshold and flashback. Unless your set also has a serious concern for the graveyard, this U Grim feels very out of place.

>The point is to show that this doesn't happen at just XG. It's precedence.
>This card has never been designed before, therefor you can't design it
literally
WHAT

I don't think this works for a variety of reasons. The first ability works fine, but for the second: A) you can't target abilities, you can only target permanents with abilities, and B) If the rules for Propaganda/Ghostly Prison are anything to go by, you can't make someone do something if they would have to pay for it.

Open up!

By looking at cards Wizards has made in the past, we can use their decisions to inform our own. This is called "precedence." For example, since there are no creature cards with both Deathtouch and Trample on them unconditionally (that is, the creature would always have those keywords when on the battlefield in a vacuum), it would be inadvisable to make such a card. In other words, you could do it, but it probably wouldn't be a great idea.

The reason precedence is important is because most of us here design cards that could fit into the current design standards of Magic. We use past cards to help inform our decisions when creating our cards.

In this particular case, I'm simply pointing out the lack of precedence for a ETB X +1/+1 counters creature with mana cost XG. Since the only precedence for this have been in XGG and XGGG cards, it would probably be a good idea to at least make the card XGG.

If you're still lost, there's one last thing you can do. Inside your head is something called a brain. Start using it.

>Open up!
>Inside your head is something called a brain. Start using it.
>Hey Wizards, why are you even designing cards that have never been designed before?

Was your mind *absolutely blown* by Soulfire Grandmaster or something?

>>Hey Wizards, why are you even designing cards that have never been designed before?
Because they own Magic. Have you tried not being completely retarded?

>Because they own Magic
Hasbro would like to have a word with you.

>I don't know what a subsidiary is!

You're right, my bad. Its roughly

>Cast modifiers
>Cast triggers
>Keywords
>Replacement effects
>Static effects
>Triggered abilities
>Activated abilities

Not sure how I fucked that one up, after how much digging I did to make that list. This means that Unleash is indeed in the "correct" place on Rakdos Drake and Chaos Imps, but Basking Plateosaur from should still be

>Primal
>When ~ enters the battlefield...

Doublecheck my shit wording on the first effect. Alternatively
>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, if that creature’s controller controls four or more creatures, exile that creature.

Originally included a sacrifice ability that was open to everyone (but made them pay life for it), but removed it for space concerns. Also felt that White making people pay life to sacrifice things was all kinds of weird, color wise.

I always wondered why equipment are mostly unplayable garbage outside of limited. The design space is so huge but it always ends up being some +2/+1 with an equip cost of 3 or some shit.

I'm trying to determine if this is broken or not. 1/2

2/2 (yes I am aware the ability of the jungle should be specified on Vatar, and that I need to remake this to look like a token not a card)