MTG Arena General

Card Economy edition

>what is MTG arena?
magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

>What do we know about the Card Economy so far?
kotaku.com/how-buying-cards-works-in-magic-the-gathering-arena-1822151318

TL;DR
Free currency and PREMIUM™ GEMS™ currency.

PREMIUM™ GEMS™ will not cost = to real life money for packs. Current dollar to pack ratio is not known.

Non-draft packs are 8 cards (5 commons, 2 uncommons, 1 rare/mythic).

Draft packs are the standard 14, and the cards you pick do add to your collection.

You can currently earn up to 30 random singles through play.

Wildcards are a thing. Basically you open a Wildcard with a set rarity, and you can trade it in for any card of the same rarity.

Get a bunch of 5th copies of shit? Those fucks get burnt for this Vault System™. When your Vault™ is full it opens and gives you a pack of Wildcards.

THERE IS CURRENTLY NO CARD TRADING SYSTEM

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/WDQQHfPL
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/developing-mtg-arena-economy-2018-01-17
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So this is new MTGO? Will it actually be easy to use?

>linking to Kotaku
fucking pleb pastebin here
pastebin.com/WDQQHfPL
this post also feels really forced, Hasbro shill begone

>no trading
Honestly, good. The secondary market is probably the biggest barrier to entry into the game and as long as they make the in game packs affordable there shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I don't have a problem with that in paper, but online. I'd rather just have a crafting system, wildcards are close enough.

So much of it is automated, but since its standard i doubt there's going to be too many times where stacking triggers is going to be relevant. Though i hope they port modern. I doubt they will.

Probably. it looks a lot cleaner tho I think there is over all less interaction. They tried to hype it up as being equally in depth, but the interface makes it look like you can't stop at every phase, like upkeep/draw, which was an issue Magic Duels had.

If MTG Arena is supposed to be standard only, what happens at rotations?

You found me out. Hasbro pays me in MLP merchandise to post on TG. Please don't tell my boss that I've been found out.

Pastebins are the most passive aggressive faggotry on Veeky Forums.

Well if they are anything like Magic Duels, the project will be vaguely dumped around that time and be left as this extremely strange format of Standard + 3 more set.

More likely, it'll be "stored away" as they work on getting more modern sets added and eventually there will be actual modern.

Or maybe they'll do the HS thing of a "wild" format aka mini-modern.

Where is my beta invite wizards you fucking shit shuckers. I was supposed to have priority access

>no trading
>can't get the singles you want

LMAO dead in the water, use it for free draft and nothing else.

Will they steal my cards if i say mean things on twitter? . . . asking for a friend!

>use it for free draft and nothing else.

And that's exactly what I was planning to, but I guess the service would die pretty quickly if no-one else actually spends money on it.

Tell your friend Jeremy to ask himself.

>Honestly, good. The secondary market is probably the biggest barrier to entry into the game and as long as they make the in game packs affordable there shouldn't be too much of an issue.
>I don't have a problem with that in paper, but online.
Unless they are incredibly generous with free packs, the game becomes impossible to get into after a year. Playing hearthstone competetively is significantly more expensive than Standard and overtakes the price of modern and legacy if you keep up for two years.

Whats it like to have autism?

>smaller packs
>unlikely to be any bit cheaper
>no mention of a crafting system
>no trading

It’s gonna be rubbish. Especially given how it’s Standard only. Look at how amazing Standard is right now! 9 cards banned in the last year! That’s about as many as the last decade combined!

At least RIX-RIX-XLN feels somewhat tolerable.

I swear I'm thinking really hard at why they decided not to include trading but I can't get it, why would you do that? I can't think of any reasons, even stupid ones.

Im willing to try it, and hope is just a fun MTG that I can play from home that is really simple to play.

It look like Heartstone magic, but at least the rules still magic....

It may be asking to much, but it would be nice if they made something like a "Dungeon run/Shandalar" game mode... but that would be just if they are successful, and if they feel like doing something unique for the game.

Well, they aren't doing a deckbuilding pack at the start as far as i'm aware, i definitely didn't. (Because filling your vault up easily is counter intuitive as far as getting people to buy packs goes). I got like 140 packs upon entry because its the beta. The important thing is that you will be getting a good number of rares upon entry from the latest set.
Hearthstone did it. That's probably it. And even though i have my problems with Hearthstone and the Digital CCG format in general, trading doesn't benefit the crafting system. If hearthstone had a trading system people would pay someone who had a card for it instead of buying packs and dusting and crafting.

I play hearthstone incredibly casually, and i've complained about the price of entry to my friends a number of times, but i would definitely say the knowledge of 1 shitty legendary = a staple epic is much better than unpacking a shitty rare that will never see play and knowing that it will sit there in your collection until you decide to perform the "I just bought a box" ritual of burning all of your jank and sacrificing it to our lord Garfield. And for what its worth, hearthstone is getting MUCH better than it was.
t. definitely not a blizzard shill

>>no mention of a crafting system
Its the wildcard. You get so many dupes, you get a wildcard of a random rarity and trade in for a card of choice of that rarity. RNG on what rarity you get, yes maybe, it may be a separate vault per rarity i don't know its not implemented yet.

I'm probably the last priority player they would want beside my entry point being BFZ, i don't buy anything, i don't go to fnm, i don't play standard, i don't play events. Why i got in is beyond me.

>>smaller packs
This does piss me off though, i need 4 siren stormcaller for my favorable winds deck, i've opened over 200 packs by now and i have 1.

>include trading
>economy like MTGO and paper MtG happens and people only use it to jew others out of their money

Pokemon has it and is one of the most approachable games for it.

Pokemon also gives you codes when you buy packs.

>Im willing to try it, and hope is just a fun MTG that I can play from home that is really simple to play.
It is really automated and stack bull doesn't exist yet. And right now it's just set constructed and tribal is the best and worst part of this.
I find it pretty fun. I've built and seen so many lists, you'll just play against wizards precons all day.
>Started on UW control, which with a lack of finishers it became UW Sanguine Sacrament.
>Built UB favorable winds, but like i said i need a few more cards to finish it.
>Currently playing Dino-Jund, Play attrition until the board-state allows you to slam jam a regisaur alpha and beat face. Just know that there aren't any sweepers in the format so you have to trade 1-1.

>RNG on top of already RNG booster packs
>Keep the cards you draft! We'll also charge you an increased price for them though :^)
>Can't get rid of garbage you don't play. Have to wait until you get the 5th copy before you get any sort of value on it.
>Free cards from standard every match win, up to 30. No mention of rarity.
>Wildcard meter is rarity-driven.
>Can't choose the wildcard you want.

In attempting to make it different from HS, they have made it even worse.

What make me think....
Would they push at some point, push themselves to just Ban Cards in the future...
Or they could do the Unthinkable...
And be able to Nerf Cards instead of Banning them....

>linking to kotacuck

also lmao at all of those fail features, shit will be dead in the water within a year.

ask yourself you are on Veeky Forums.

You don't want it.

I'm in the bet and I'll break the nda to tell you it's fucking garbage.

It's slow, clunky, the interface is awful, and the only available thing to do right now is play 70 pack Ixalan sealed. I cannot stress enough how terrible a format Ixalan 70 pack sealed is.

>So this is new MTGO?
No.

The game is terrible and business model is unsustainable, I opened 294 packs and still I barelly have 4x copies of the rares and 1x copies of the mythics and this is ONLY for explorers of Ixalan, it's gonna be impossible to make a standard deck with the full standard rotation in.

That's just one of the many issue, ask anything you wish to know.

Wouldn't it be far more accessible if paired with a crafting systems? You could have all the pros of a market without the constant jewing. What they fail to understand is that nobody wants to play mtg having without having easy access to singles, it will be a worse grindfest than HS. Wizards' ability to fuck up big time everything they do is honestly baffling.

Looks like garbage
Shitstone fucking sucks and anything patterned after it will fucking suck too. Just because shitzzard ripped off magic to make shitstone doesn't mean that Wiitards of the Communism should copy shitstone.

hey /v/, go back okay? Nobody here cares about Nintendo.

The fuck are you talking about, retard? Go give shitzzard some more money you waste of space

>buzzwords forced in each inch of text you wrote
a truly enlightened gentleman i see

>forced
Entirely accurate descriptions that you are complaining about because they are so fucking apt and they are making you reflect on the terrible dogshit that you cram into your life at all times

well time to stop playing MTG
I've always said it "the game lives and dies in paper" and Arena the first sign of its death

Oh really the neocommunists literally printing themselves on cards didn't do it for you?

Don't worry, the game will have the same cycle has DotP, it's a trash game with endless grind, nobody will play in a few months from release.

who is that?

is it me or does the card look nothing like the thing on the left..?

Jackie Lee, someone who mismanaged Life Totals, got dq'd for it, then got a job at WotC.

Bullshit. Not only is it obviously "her" but the picture on the left was blatantly used as reference for the art on the right. Face angle, nose, cheek are all identical and that's ignoring the hair and clothes being identical too. I mean of course they tried to make "her" less ugly, but that's to be expected.

Not that you actually think they aren't similar, you're just another neocommunist useful idiot who's trying to do damage control for some reason.

An incredibly powerful sorcerer from WotC's design cult, primarily known for sacrificing chickens with glass knives to influence world events.

That's pretty aggrandizing, I didn't know that sucking pozzed dicks in parking garages was considered influencing world events these days

So why are the non-draft packs so much smaller? That doesn't really benefit anyone and won't allow for buying a real pack with a code to redeem on online like with pokemon? Hell why aren't they just copying the system they have with pokemon for collections?

Kissless virgins are always so desperate to find reason to be mad at women. It's kinda sad how funny you are.

I would imagine they plan to make them very cheap? I agree it's a very questionable decision. They did it in Magic Duels too, but in MD it was pretty easy to grind for packs so you could fill the collection at a reasonable rate. There were also just a lot of decent budget strategies too.

yes, this will be the only online game in existence where you will actually own your digital property as stated in the eula that you agree to every time you start the game

Either way, wouldn't it be best for the physical to compliment the digital and maybe vice-versa like with the duels games giving promo cards. All that kind of set up will do is create a divide between physical and digital player which can't be good for potential growth. No physical player is going to want to dump even more money to also play at home.

>this post also feels really forced, Hasbro shill begone
Once again, does anyone here seriously think any sane company sits down and says 'hey you know who we ought to get involved in our game community? Channers'? Most sane companies would rather that all of Veeky Forums and the shittier parts of Reddit stayed as far away from their player base as possible.

I don't click the Eula i get my mom to do it, so it doesn't apply to me!

No dipshit, it's just Alt-right Whistle blowing tactics. The only people who believe this shit are the retards who buy into the ideology of the alt-right but don't understand what it really means.

Hearthstone doesn't suck because of it's business model, it sucks because it's a poorly designed game, and blizzard can't balance for shit.
Model was generally fine until they got rid of adventures and the game got more expensive, you used to be able to play pretty well as F2P. That and because there's no trading system, your collection is worthless because you can't sell it. Whatever you put into it is gone if you ever decide to stop playing.

Don't shill the idea that shills aren't a thing.

Don't shill your politics.

>does anyone here seriously think any sane company sits down and says 'hey you know who we ought to get involved in our game community? Channers'
Well yes, at least anonymously. Get the grognards on your side and you have a loyal consumer base that will sing praises about your product for life.
That's how traditional games have survived the religious inquisition of the 90's.

>Using dog whistles to push out anything as vaguely left like a woman being on a magic card
>"don't shill your politics"
Okay sweatie pie ( :

>women
It was real in your mind

We have had confirmation that at the very least EA and Ubisoft do it on /v/, by looking at various posts you can tell that blizzard does it too and wotc does it here on Veeky Forums.

And yes, it's a very powerful form of marketing, you are delusional if you think it doesn't work.

>gems
>no trading
>no ties to irl product
>display still looks ugly

I can't wait for Magic Duels 1.1!!!!

here's the official WOTC article on this that explains some reasoning for what theyre doing and also some other stuff not touched on in the article: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/developing-mtg-arena-economy-2018-01-17
>we're testing rewarding players with the opportunity to earn three to four free boosters a week.
This part though really activates my almonds. Seems interesting but considering Eternal Card game can afford to give you one booster a day, im not seeing why be so cheap considering theyre making boosters smaller. Maybe its because ECG's sets are massive but still.

Do we know if the random 30-40 cards earned from matches is being counted towards that free weekly pack?

This system could be good or bad, entirely depending on how greedy they are. If you can draft with gold and earning gold doesn't take as long as in Hearthstone, it'd be pretty okay.

>>confirmation that at the very least EA and Ubisoft do it on /v/

sauce

>registered for beta few months ago
>still no email
Just

Dog whistling? A misogynism strawman? Fuck you. Don't shill your political bullshit.

Lurk moar, the posts are several years old now not going to dig them up.

>misogynism

lol

i really hope you're not talking about those posts from people claiming to work for a marketing firm who were allegedly instructed by ea to shill Veeky Forums without providing so much as a screenshot of an internal memo.

yeah, that's what i thought

Just going to copy paste the update information that was given to people in the beta, should help you get a feel of what the free currency will be like
Changes in the Economy

Player Grants
All players will have 2x of every XLN Common and Uncommon cards in their collection.
All players will have 1x of every XLN Rare card in their collection.
All players will have 2x of every RIX Common card in their collection.
All players will receive 2x XLN packs, and 2x RIX packs every Friday during the RIX closed beta testing period.

Quests
Quests have been updated with a new reward structure with quests rewarding 150, 200, 300, and 500 gold depending on their difficulty. The more games a quest typically takes to complete, the higher the reward.
We’ve added a number of new quests to the game and revised others to balance difficulty.
We’ve removed the "Continue" button from the Quest Overlay. You can now click anywhere outside the overlay to close it.
We’ve adjusted the behavior of the "Quest cycle" buttons.
We’ve improved the overall look and feel of the Quest overlay.

The Vault
Vault progress is granted whenever you open a pack.
Vault progress is granted whenever you collect a 5th copy of a card.
When the Vault is opened, it awards 1x Mythic Rare, 1x Rare, 2x Uncommon, and 4x Common Wildcards.

Cont.

Daily Win Bonuses
When you win a match, you’ll now see the gold earned and cards collected in the post-match flow (currently with placeholder art).
As part of each win bonus, up to 30 wins a day, you will roll for an Individual Card Reward (ICR). If you roll a common card, you’ll add 2x copies of the card to your collection. All other rarities add 1x copy.
1st win of the day will award 200 gold and a Common Card or better.
2nd win of the day will award an Uncommon Card or better.
3rd win of the day will award 50 gold and a Common Card or better.
4th win of the day will award a Common Card or better.
5th win of the day will award a Rare Card or better.
6th win of the day will award 50 gold and a Common Card or better.
7th win of the day will award a Common Card or better.
8th win of the day will award an Uncommon Card or better.
9th win of the day will award 50 gold and a Common Card or better.
10th-30th win of the day will award a Common Card or better.
Weekly Win Bonuses
2nd Win of the Week will award a Common Wildcard.
5th Win of the Week will award an Uncommon Wildcard.
10th Win of the Week will award a Rare or Mythic Rare Wildcard.

Wildcards
A Wildcard filter has been added to the Collection and Deck Builder filter menus. This will show all cards that you can currently craft using Wildcards, and all Wildcards in your collection.
Wildcards can be redeemed by adding an uncollected card, that you have an equivalent wildcard for, to a deck in Deck Builder.
Wildcards can be redeemed in the collection view by clicking on a card that you don’t have 4x of in your collection, and that you have an equivalent wildcard for.

Unless the change is unlisted packs (8 cards) still cost 1000 gold

>people are still mad about Spike

You fucking people are ridiculous, lmfao

>Vault rewards
These honestly feel fine, assuming you can crack the vault every two or three days.

>1000 per pack
That's really rough seeing how you could earn as little as 550 gold in a day if you roll a low reward quest.

Judging from that pack price, a draft would cost about 5000 gold which would take too long too.

Some kids just never grew out of being scared of kooties.

There's a reroll system for quests in place but I'm not exactly sure how often you can use it because I haven't been using it at all.

Vault seems neat but how long does it take to open? If quests are a daily thing, they average at 287.5 gold per day. 350 gold from 9 wins, which is a lot of play. So at 637.5 as the average gold per day you are still averaging 2 days per pack. So it's a pretty rough exchange rate.

You'll probably have to wait for the patch to go live in about 16 hours to find out. The development team pretty much never replies to questions on the official forums.

Shill detected

If you say shill, you are a shill. Thus we are both shills and need to leave.

My mistake for jumping the gun on some of that then. Arena seems like it's going to flop about as badly as everything before it for mtg right now

>Registered after Ixalan pre-release
>Fuck all
This game is garbage anyway, but still annoying.

It takes an average of 8640 packs to get a playset of every mythic in Standard.
4 packs a week literally means nobody will ever have a playset of all Standard cards avaliable before rotation without spending real money on their "free" game.

Racists don't get invited.

Is there any more annoying meme than that one?

You.

To all the people complaining about smaller packs, all they did was decrease the amount of Commons in the packs. Still one rare and only one uncommon was removed.

So you're telling me they made this game as a way of making money? Somebody call Wolf Blitzer.

I really don't get how people can be shocked that this online tcg indirectly requires people to pay money to get literally everything.

I know this isn't exactly a standard general but I don't want to start one for just a single question and this seems like the closest thread.
Do Pummeler decks survive the banning? I've been playing the R/G version since Kaladesh and it's been awesome; it's the most fun I've had playing 60 card constructed Magic in years. I just have a sense that the loss of Attune kills it; losing the fixing and 2 energy that comes with it is just such a blow to the consistency of the deck.
Are there any fellow pummeler bro's here who can confirm my suspicions?

People are made at removing all the flexibility from a trading card game. Even hearthstone addresses this by letting you dust cards you don't want. With Arena you need to get a full playset of cards you don't want before you can start 'trading' away the extra ones on top of that.
Boneyard Parley is a completely unplayable card. I will never put this card in any deck ever. I have 2 of them in the Arena beta and (ignoring the coming reset) it would take be hundreds of packs for me to finish a playset and actually start turning the 5th completely useless mythic into something I wanted. Every time you open a card like this, it's no different than just randomly not having a rare in your pack at all.
Why would I pay real money for packs that contain cards I don't actually get to own, and randomly don't even have cards in them?

The positive thing to say about Pummeler is that it's a fringe deck. The consistency obviously hurts it, but it will remain fringe regardless, so you'll likely have the same enjoyment with it. Temur Energy, however, is hurt bad. Tier 1 is hard to maintain, and with the added fact of being 3 colors that fixing is vital. I think it'll survive, but I don't see Temur Energy being tier 1 ever again. Probably 1.5/2.

There is making money and there is being so fucking greedy you shove your would be consumers right into the competition's arms.
They want to be Blizzard but are acting like EA.

Wasn't this shit meant to be out already?

Yes, the fact that you need a playset before your useless cards become less useless is pretty shit, but the people I was referring to were throwing out numbers that included getting playsets of every single card in the entire set.

it's in invite only beta

Unless you get lucky that's what you need to do to have access to competitive decks. You can't trade your entire collection of stuff you don't want for stuff you do, you need to keep opening packs. We still need to see how many packs you need to open to access the Vault though, which will be the primary method of getting cards you actually chose.

>And yes, it's a very powerful form of marketing, you are delusional if you think it doesn't work.
I got 'em. My thread on Veeky Forums has attracted potentially tens of new players! We're gonna be rich.

By default the interface only stops at your main phases and during combat. You can enter 'full control mode' or something like that though by cressing ctrl or holding shift (something like that) which forces the game to stop everywhere until you ok it to proceed.

The amount of luck is honestly minimal. You're exactly as likely to get a playset of a good mythic as you are a shit one.

The real issue may be how many packs it takes to get a playset in the first place and how big of an impact the game win rewards cards + vault make on collecting.

There are a lot more shit Mythics and Rares than there are usable ones, though. Isn't Hour of Devastation the prime example of this, with Scarab God or Bust giving you a 1 in 14 to get a deceny Mythic?