EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
What other formats or games does your play group play?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kumena-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-01-18-saskia-aggro/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-clash-s3-episode-22-viewer-submitted-decks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thread Question:
They play standard, modern, some duel commander and are going to pick up pauper. I take part in none of those things

>What other formats or games does your play group play?

Kitchen table. I tend to make my decks with the legacy banlist. Mostly because for some reason modern feels off for me.

Mostly draft, and "modern"(it's actually just formatless, but since it fits modern, we call it modern). We have been planning on picking up standard pauper, it seems fun to play and doesn't cost much.

I play no other formats. They are all ridiculously expensive and not half as fun as EDH. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't found Commander, I wouldn't be playing Magic anymore.

play pauper my dude, its the best format other than commander. its basically legacy lite for 40 dollars

>Thread Question
Nothing. We used to play 60-card kitchen table but that's since been phased out.

I play Legacy at my LGS though, BR Reanimator for life

We also play Catan, Carcassone, and Love Letter

Pauper EDH. It's ok

Nothing official. Me and my brother came up with a stupid format where you move creatures around a "map" with lands used as terrain. It's janky but amusing.

Not the same poster, but I've been wanting to get into pauper. Also tiny leaders.

Tiny Leaders is deader than Elvis, user.

60-card-casual multiplayer was sort of killed by EDH. We play a ton of board games, and a little Force of Will on the TCG front, but no other Magic formats.

Not if I can get my playgroup to brew decks.

Tiny Leaders is not only a dead format, it deserves to be a dead format. It's shit.

One group drafts, but the guy who runs it always does redrafted, meaning he gets the best pick of the cards because despite being a total narssicistic jackass he’s actually a great player and drafter. I’m moving away from this group and taking players with me.

The other group does EDH, Draft, Legacy, and Modern, though they are on a real legacy kick lately and I don’t have a legacy deck together.

I’ve also got a group of 3-4 people who I try to play with once a week, mostly met in the first group.

honestly get in on it now cause there is a big movement to get proper pauper tourney support at GPs and opens. if that happens pauper will get a lot of exposure and costs will rise, not a lot but that 50 dollar deck will be a 100 dollar one

that said its a super fun and diverse format and i highly recommend giving it a try. just dont be a faggot and play delver or elves like everyone else ever

>super fun and diverse format
>dont be a faggot and play delver or elves like everyone else ever
Sounds real fun and diverse

>just dont be a faggot and play affinity or elves like everyone else ever
FTFY

>doesnt understand hyperbole

you sure your old enough to be on Veeky Forums?

>immediately check how discard would work in pauper
>Hymn to tourach banned
:|

MBC has plenty of discard and you can always use Wrench Mind anyway

Speaking of MBC, I really want to play an MBC commander, who should I go with?

>Wrench Mind
My next thought. It's not random, though.

Erebos is the most good-stuffy of monoB commanders but in reality any of them can do it fairly good, Big Black Mana is good regardless of who you put in charge.

Friend fucking always complains about lands. Not drawing them/drawing too many and having to mull. I've played with him probably 100 times and never heard him not complaining.

Is there a "no way anyone could complain about lands with this" commander or build i can suggest to shut him up?

Karametra?

His preferred colors? Rishkar's easy while still having feild presence

Borborygmos Enraged

Captain Sisay, run a bunch of legendary lands.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kumena-wip/

thoughts?

Xiahou Dun is the only correct choice

Good etb cards for this guy?

Horobi. You use a bunch of jank to blow up everyone's shit.

Maralen. Its literally impossible to not get land drops when you play her, and if your buddy is really cool he'll just win on turn 4 every game Maralen stays alive for a round.

reposting again because I got no repsonses, but I'm looking for improvements to my saskia aggro deck, while still keeping a somewhat budget theme. please help.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-01-18-saskia-aggro/

Deepglow skate

Toshi, easy

Thanks for the recs. He's really into x spells/spellslinger shit. Usually mizzix. Watching him mull down every game and bitch about his luck is gonna give me cancer.

Gisela, fireshrieker, anything that doubles damage and stacks

Your argument falls at "if you manage", since no one wants to play the format, since it's just so bad

How viable is this?

I love the concept of limiting cmc, but I was never crazy about the life total changes or deck size.

Tell him to look into landcycling spells. Traumatic visions is my autoinclude. Also, rocks

Toshi seemed all right but I haven't really seen him played so I don't know how decent he is.

Seems like a pain to flip and there are better turbo-ramp land commanders. Might be OK in the 99 of Titania, Bobo Engaged or Angry Omnath.

Not sure how strong it is in monoG, but soratami moonfolk and kamigawa sweep spells could work.

The big issue is that there aren't that many low converted mana cost commanders and restricting the pool that much really shows which of them is the best

I really wouldn't put her into 99, because she uses a lot of spells that tutor multiple basics to hand/requires abnormal amount a lands while probably skipping some landdrops to save till 7 lands.

Borborygmos on one hand is viable, because he tries to do almost the same thing+can then get get rid of all that 7 land in style, although I wouldn't run Borbo with mostly basics

Not much but it's a fun deckbuilding challenge. You have to play a high land count, and a high Forest count; find space for card draw because you'll be drawing lots of basics and then pick a wincon.

This is super playable right? Feels like it gets rid of a ton of things. Gets around indestructible and hexproof/shroud.

Maga or nuKalitas

Definitely equalizes a big numbers board, but it can whiff those annoying key targets. Its fun/10

Dolmen gate/Iroas
beastmaster ascension
sunforger
ankle shanker
xenagod
berserker's onslaught
duelist's heritage
ogre battledriver
thunderfoot baloth

I usually kill someone the turn I cast saskia, focus on damage doublers, haste enablers, giving your things double strike
I focus more on going wide so that when someone removes saskia, the result is letting me choose a new target, not my deck falling apart

>Built Mina & Denn as like my second/third deck back when I was a wee babby who picked up playing Magic again when Oath of the Gatewatch came out
>Deck was basically big Gruul dudes featuring Omnath and landfall shit
>Deck was ok but could never survive outside of the most casual settings
>Gut the thing of most of the big hydra dudes and crap landfall dudes (Shit like Akoum Hellkite) and turn it into Borby Enraged last week
>Got to play it last night
>Collective Voyage into 8 lands total, played Borby on turn 4
>Snake Umbra + Illusionist's Bracers is complete hilarity
>Bloodrushed a Rubblehulk onto Borby for 30 -something lands after a Splendid Reclamation and swung for lethal

Jesus christ this is way more fun than "You can play a second land each turn", I have seen the light brothers

There's a list for her here (viewer submitted, not brewed by these idiots)

mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-clash-s3-episode-22-viewer-submitted-decks

I honestly liked it a lot and wished it wasn't piloted by an illiterate person

Doran likes it.
Tragic Arrogance is worth the extra +2CMC

Tragic Arrogance whiffs against voltron though, unlike Slaughter the Strong. Not saying it's good, but it has its upsides.

God, I was eating when I decided to watch the video, had to stop due to intense cringe. About the list though, isn't 39 lands a bit low for what it is trying to do? I'm brewing Ghalta atm and it resembles this one a bit too much.

Nevertheless, a deck that can utilise picrelated to such a backbreaking effect makes me diamonds

That's funny. I had a Borby deck, got tired of it and turned it into a Mina and Denn deck.

Any tips for this dood? got him and a zombie infestation along with a couple eldrazi, havent built a grave deck before.

patrician choice user

ez pz
we draw 50 cards at once

>sorcery/10

u wot m8

>He doesn't use Forbidden Orchard to cast Tragic Arrogance
>no horsecockfu

Some of the best board wipes in the game are sorceries.

>some stupid shit
leave

it needs to be instant speed to be worth a damn in commander
we already have a bunch of unusable boardwipes

thats not really a boardwipe

>damnation is now shit because it's sorcery speed
>toxic deluge is now shit because it's sorcery speed
>wog is now shit because it's sorcery speed

As part of a trade during my pre release I got a foil Sidisi brood tyrant and while talking about the Tarkir block with some of the guys a very interesting question came up.
>Why was there no faeries in the set?
While the answer was just that it wouldn't make sense fluff-wise it gave me the mental image of Sidisi and her brood trying to deal with a faerie infestation on their zombie pits with an annoyed Sidisi screaming at the top of her lungs "where are these bugs coming from?!". Now I have taken upon me to brew a Sultai faerie tribal, mostly because I can include scryb ranger, faerie noble and Willow priestess as part of the creature package. Any cards that can make this deck annoying for my opponents? I'm thinking creature bouncing, counters and equipment to take advantage of the fact that the little buggers fly.

How? It's guaranteed to wipe most creatures off of the board when you play it. Board wipe doesn't just mean all permanents (or non-land permanents).

You're absolutely wrong. I reiterate.
Some of the best board wipes in the format are at sorcery speed, as pointed out.
Are you also gonna call Supreme Verdict bad?

>It's guaranteed to wipe most creatures off of the board
not if your board is like melek, goblin electromancer and a staticaster

doesnt get rid of utility creatures therefore its bad
it blows out timmy and leaves spike and johnny an opening to win

At that point you don't even need a board wipe. Spot removal will take care of the problem cards there.

It's 3 mana and you can break parity easier than with Wrath of God (4 mana sorcery) itself. Goes straight into every Doran and probably stands as a decent White staple outside that. It doesn't replace Wrath but it certainly get a place in the Wrath package, at a similar priority to Retribution of the Meek.

I'd probably take it over Tragic Arrogance every time, but only after Austere Command for sure.

>Spot removal will take care of the problem cards there
the point of a boardwipe is that you dont have to use spot removal you x for 1 your opponents
treating this as anything but a way to deal with tokens or big fatties is retarded

Sometimes killing all of the big shit is all you need to do. Besides, they can't have a bunch of utility creatures without having to give some up anyway. It's not an amazing board wipe, but it's not terrible. Nice job of trying to change the subject from it being a sorcery to not being able to hit everything though.

This is literally a "dies to doomblade" tier argument, besides the original complaint was that it's at sorcery speed > therefore it's bad, stop moving that goal

>probably stands as a decent White staple outside that
no its not it doesnt clear the board
its a bad card
if it were instant speed it could at least be used as a fog cause thats pretty much all its good at doing
reducing the power on field

>I'd probably take it over Tragic Arrogance every time
for 2 extra mana you get to choose whats sac'd
you would be an absolute fool to choose this POS over tragic

>Gaykings player starts dropping his bombs
>i copy them
Piggybacking is fun

STOP
IM THE ONE THATS SUPPOSED TO BE COPYING AND STEALING YOUR SHIT WHY DO YOU THINK I DREW YOU ALL THOSE CARDS REEEEEEE

2 extra mana is a lot in white. There's a reason you don't see Rout a whole lot.

>2 extra mana is a lot in white
why do people act like we dont just use mana rocks in every deck even green?

Because you aren't always going to get them, and even if you do someone will probably blow them up.

Cloud of faeries and nim deathmantle if you like running bouncelands

>Because you aren't always going to get them
imagine being this fucking dumb
10 rocks
10 draw/card advantage
35 lands
you will get your lands and your ramp in 80%+ of your games
its not that hard

Oh, nevermind, i dont know why i thought sidisi cared about creature etb triggers

thinking of making a storm deck, any suggestions for a commander?
Current Decklist-Unfinished
>10 Islands
>10 Mountains
> 1 Swiftwater Cliffs
> 1 Jace, Vyrn's Prodigy
> 1 Jhoira of the Ghitu
> 1 Shivan Meteor
> 1 Empty the Warrens
> 1 Sift Through Sands
> 1 Snap
> 1 Goblin Electromancer
> 1 Mind's Desire
> 1 Deep-Sea Kracken
> 1 Peer Through Depths
> 1 Chandra's Phoenix
> 1 Mirrorwing Dragon
> 1 Sage-Eye Avengers
> 1 Jori En, Ruin Diver
> 1 Volcanic Vision
> 1 Grapeshot
> 1 Young Pyromancer
> 1 Docent of Perfection
> 1 Dive Down
> 1 Dragon-Style Twins
> 1 Beacon of Tomorrows
> 1 Quicken
> 1 Bloodwater Entity
> 1 Reach through Mists
> 1 Talrand, Sky Summoner
> 1 Firemind's Foresight
> 1 Cryptic Serpent
> 1 Rift Bolt
> 1 Desperate Ritual
> 1 The Unspeakable
> 1 Niblis of Frost
> 1 Spellheart Chimera
> 1 Nivix Cyclops
> 1 Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
> 1 Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
> 1 Baral Chief of Compliance
> 1 Temporal Fissure
> 1 Delver of Secrets
> 1 Nucklavee
> 1 Wildfire Eternal
> 1 Mirage Mirror

>decent
Argument discarded. Let me explain why it's a bad card.

In EDH, you're usually in a multiplayer format. In this case, people don't throw down their fatties asap. If they do, there's a pretty high chance of spot removal being in someone's grip. It's really only useful vs battlecruiser metas, where there would be a plethora of >=4 dudes and it wouldn't be a gg push. This is why Aggro decks (most likely the ones that would run many dudes that are over 4 power) flounder in EDH, because the cards were designed to hit 20 life instead of 120. So on average, how many big guys can you see getting killed with it? 1, 2, maybe 3. Even in a battlecruiser meta, because people most likely bring boardwipes to counter big boards. Unconditional board wipes too, like Toxic Deluge, Languish, Wraths, Cyclonic Rifts, etc.

The inability to hit 3 and lower is another issue. It doesn't kill mana dorks or other utility cards. Many creatures are sitting comfortably at lower than 3, because they were never meant to fight. You killed Karen's tapped out Dinos, good job. Except Bobby Blue has a Jace's Archivist + LabMan setup that's about to win. And not touching mana dorks is a fucking crime. You better believe the dude with mana dorks up is going to gun for your ass since he's got an easy recovery.

It being a sorcery is another flaw. As another user said, it's functionally a fog, it just kills the average power of the board for a turn. If it was instant, then you could bait people into alpha striking like a retard and boom! You smugly tell the other dude "Don't YOLO into untapped lands ever again. Welcome to EDH, bitch. "

tappedout.net or gtfo

reyhan, death's presence, corpsejack menace

>dies to doomblade" tier argument
only if you consider that argument to be that doomblade doesnt kill black creatures so it shouldnt be played because there are much better options

There are some questionable card choices, I don't understand how courser of kruphix isn't there

ultimately swapping some creatures and artifacts for forests and adding some extra things like dryad arbor could end up making a well-rounded list

How do you feel about this card? I feel like it's mostly a 'winmore' card, but always seems to draws the ire of the table whenever I play it.

So, /EDH/, what cards from RIX are going into your decks?

I had been brewing Ghalta for months since she was revealed as the store Championship promo, but with the set release, I've put in Polyraptor, Wandering Swordtooth, Path of Discovery, and Tendershoot Dryad.

Immortal Sun in every deck.