/swg/ Chimaera and Profundity Edition

Post about FFG, X-wing, Armada, Legion, WEG D6, Saga/d20, Lego, and anything else Star Wars Related!

Previous thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB
Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
Other FFG Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the FFG RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ
Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.nz/#F!kJtCTR7Q!HNUwVc1B8KB2FrD4Twmb7g
The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing
Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Armada full wave 7 unboxing/spoilers:
>community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/267745-chimaera-unboxing/
>community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/267760-profundity-unboxing/
Admiral Raddus guest article by a playtester:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/17/hes-going-to-fight/

Legion AT-ST preview:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/12/massive-destruction/
Legion T-47 Airspeeder preview:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/15/scramble-airspeeders/

Armada's wave 7 has been given an official release date - February 1st. Which ship/card are you most excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/esz9oqz31d1ppl6/deckplan.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for Clones > Stormies

2nd for Stormies > Clones

3rd for Rebs > Stormies > Clones

Nth for thermal detonators > everyone

5th for Star Trek > Star Wars

Two questions:

1. Is podracing or any similar sport popular on any planet besides Tatooine?

2. Is podracing still popular on Tatooine at the time of Luke being there, and we just don't see it? What about at the time of The Force Awakens?

The podracing scene and Darth Maul were the only things I genuinely liked in Episode I.

Number of trained force users taken down by Rebel Troopers and Storm Troopers combined: 0
Number of trained force users taken down by Clones: An entire Jedi Order.

I wonder, did we ever get an update from this guy and his game?

>4
I personally like Star Trek better too, but I enjoy both and there's literally no reason to post this here except to be a dick.

Imagine that order.
>Hey guys, Thrawn says he wants a massive stylized skeleton dragon fish thing painted all over the ship, top and bottom. Get a couple hundred men into some space suits and start painting, we got a couple of transports full of paint about to dock right now.

According to the wook, it's popular on Malastare and Theron, and is broadcast all over the galaxy

I've had pod racing featured (illegaly) on Kashyyk, Naboo and Hoth. Some kind of speeder/podrace on Taris too.

>1. Is podracing or any similar sport popular on any planet besides Tatooine?
Hard to say. Seems like it would be.
>2. Is podracing still popular on Tatooine at the time of Luke being there, and we just don't see it? What about at the time of The Force Awakens?
Seems unlikely since Luke and his friends all pilot T-16 Skyhoppers.
>The podracing scene and Darth Maul were the only things I genuinely liked in Episode I.
Those were the only remotely competent scenes in the movie.

RIP scantily-clad Jedi babes

I think it's supposed to be an engraving, too.

Podracing thought the forest seems incredibly dangerous. I bet those races are popular

Probably done by droids.

Podracing is apparently popular in the more loosely-ruled parts of the Galaxy. In Legends, the Empire actually outlawed it due to how dangerous it is, I think. The similar sport of swoop racing is popular all across the Galaxy.

According to the characters in TPM, humans don't have fast enough reflexes to podrace, and the only reason Anakin can is due to his Force sensitivity and his irresponsible Jew of an owner.

Was there any plan to have Padme discover her pregnancy during the last episodes of TCW? If the show was going to lead right up to RotS it would have made sense.

How do you think it could/should have been handled?

>Inb4 "It's a kid show, they wouldn't have done that."

Full disclosure, have not watched it myself.

Jedi deserved to die out for never wearing armor or carrying ranged weaponry into battle desu

The attire and toolkit you wear around the temple or as a sand hermit planning to sneak/trick your way past guards isn't the same you bring into a warzone

Padme was a tertiary character at best in TCW. And her and Anakin's relationship was always something that simmered in the background, even when the two were sharing an episode.
It was really for the best that they kept the worst aspect of the prequels to a minimum.

>>Inb4 "It's a kid show, they wouldn't have done that."
No need for that. Rebels has a higher kill count than anything that isn't R2-D2.

Cool.

I'm trying to figure out a setup for players to be a team of upstart racers trying to get into the big leagues, simultaneously managing their team democratically after the manager died and left them ownership, and trying not to get fucked up by gangsters and thugs associated with rival teams.

Does this sound as cool to anybody else as it does in my head?

Obi-Wan did wear battleplate I think and a lot of Jedi seemed to rock it during TOR at least. Would've been nice to see more of it.

Depends on the source

The Jedi didn't wear armor by design. After Ruusan, the Jedi officially renounced all military rank (like the rank of Jedi Lprd) and such, and got rid of their battle armor. This was supposed to symbolize their role as peacekeepers in a peaceful age rather than the warlords and generals of the Sith Wars.

That said, yeah they should've been wearing some protection in a bloody warzone

They're incredibly different franchises. Both are great, they just tickle different parts of the brain stem.

It definitely would have been cool to see more Jedi dressing like pimped out space knights and space samurai, flamboyant head ornamentation included.

My players enjoyed my colorful descriptions of all incidents their opponents on the tracks suffered.
And their designated pilot.
Davos is one with the force now. [Spoiler]And with his left engine turbine intake. Thankfully he wasn't upset about it as he had survived insurmountable racea already and I warned him several times that it was dangerous.

Lord Hoth is bestest Jedi

What genre of video game would you love to see in the Star Wars universe but there hasn't ever been?

Why can't anyone make a regime that lasts more than a couple of decades after the old republic fell?

Because no one knows how to write a good story without galaxy-spanning civil war and upheaval

First order macguffin planet killer

Because "Star Peace" doesn't have as much of a ring to it.

Because once it is shown the “government” (as a general concept) wasn’t sacrosanct in its perpetuity the spell was broken and anyone with the balls and strength decides, “why not me too?”

Because the Force is a malevolent parasitic entity that requires conflict to survive

Kreia get out

Two words: waifu gacha. Imagine the whaladonbux from all those players desperate to roll their Star Waifu.

You're a monster.

Because Chancellor Valorum was right.

Casual starfigher flying game
Please explain.

>too small-minded to accept the obvious truth
Just kidding Kreia was a dumb cunt

>Casual starfigher flying game

Filthy casual.

It's Sheev's legacy. He destroyed the concept of a united Galaxy. We see this in both Legends and Disney.

>Casual starfigher flying game

Sure, fly casual. But don't LOOK like you're flying casual.

Nope it's just a NJO. Luke tried to recreate the OJO completely in nu-canon.

This is the only path.

>"this is a naval combat game, right?"
>cross the T on a star destroyer

>they don’t even have shields
Got me to reply/10

>"this is a naval combat game, right?"
>cross the T on a star destroyer

Oh no, Star Wars ship battles work like 2d naval combat!

Go play this and leave the rest of us free of your relentless autism.

what did he mean by this

I'm not convinced you know either

I am reasonably sure it's a reference to broadsides. You wanna be the cross on the T because that puts your guns facing the target.

>Surigao Strait but in space with asteroids instead of islands
Battleship combat is so damn cool

Correct. "Crossing the T" meant you could bring all your guns to bear and the enemy could bring essentially none of his. In the age of battleships it was THE thing to maneuver for

Anyone have any good maps that would work well for a Rebel base?

but isn't that really fucking dumb because most of a Star Destroyer's firepower is to the front?

It works exactly as expected against an Ackbar broadside list in Armada, though.

-Warriors styyle game

In infantry parlance, this is known as enfilade fire...you always want to be the one executing it, and never be on the receiving end of it.

Still better to take one ISD worth of lasers to your cruisers than four or five of the same.

Thats the joke

hm, note to imperial captains, always use a V formation...

So, looking at the spoilers, came up with this Raddus list.

So, the 9pt initiative bid is meant to choose to go second, so Raddus's restrictions don't really matter then (I'm not really sure how Bail and Raddus interact as of yet) and it's based on cards I own rather than what would be 100% optimal.

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Admiral Raddus

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

MC75 Armored Cruiser (104 points)
- Strategic Advisor ( 4 points)
- Fire-Control Team ( 2 points)
- Aspiration Title ( 3 points)
- Early Warning Systems ( 7 points)
- Heavy Ion Emplacements ( 9 points)
- Assault Concussion Missiles ( 7 points)
= 136 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette B (39 points)
- Engine Techs ( 8 points)
= 47 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
- Admiral Raddus ( 26 points)
- Gallant Haven ( 8 points)
- Lando Calrissian ( 4 points)
- Expanded Hangar Bay ( 5 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
= 122 total ship cost

3 X-Wing Squadrons ( 39 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)
1 A-Wing Squadron ( 11 points)
1 Tycho Celchu ( 16 points)

So, obviously the Vette is the postman, meant to deliver a Close Range Aspiration with 6 frontal shields and frontal chaff directly in front of the biggest, meanest Star Destroyer he can find and just tank everything in the first round of shooting, watch the ISD bonk into him, and then return fire with 3 Blues and (enhanced via a firepower dial) 3 blacks and HOPEFULLY. MAYBE. Get a crit on each for an extra 4/5 points of damage that can't be soaked via Brace or Redirect tokens.

It's more a thought experiment than anything else.

Who did it better?

People shit on my deck plan. For what possible reason?

That actually does work really well in Armada. The Rebel player wants a broadside on broadside engagement, and doesn't want to take a head-on engagment OR for a ship to get in the way of it's broadside conga-line.

Running a pair of SD's in V formation so that to broadside one means taking it in the face from the other and then running into him and jamming up everything behind does both these things.

Where's the power generator and sublight engines?

I'm more wondering why Corellian resized the internals of a YT-2400 for Jawan sized crew.

That's a penis.

Yeah, kind of. By their physical layout, MonCal ships should generally be broadside fighters, while most ImpShips should be nose-on fighters. Tactics aren't just constrainted by maneuver, but also by the physical capabilities of the combatants; and stuff like ignores the latter in favor of a prety direct copy-paste from naval tactics where the physical capabilities of the combatants were essentially identical.

With that said, a bunch of MonCals crossing the T of an Imperial formation still works as a concept, because the lead ship theoretically masks the fire from the ships behind it. The "Ackbar slash" would be suicidal, because all of those ISD can concentrate fire on the lead MonCal ship - the MonCal formation is, in essense crossing their own T by driving directly at the Imperial formation. The "Fake" simply puts both combatants on an even footing; facing the MonCal's strong firepower to the ISD's strong firepower. "The Exchange" is actually what a MonCal Admiral should be TRYING to accomplish; it puts the MonCal ship's strong firepower against weak firepower of the ISD.

And in all cases, getting in the REAR of the enemy vessels is the best possible scenario - whether crossing the T for MonCals, or "dogfighting" style for ISDs - because it minimizes return fire. Unlike IRL naval vessels, Star Wars capital ships generally have only a tiny proportion of firepower available aft.

>all of this ignores 3d tactics. A vertical "wall" of battle is absolutely a possible thing that we never seem to see. 3d is why I said that crossing the T still "theoretically" works; if the ISDs are displaced vertically, it means that they can still bring dorsal or ventral guns to bear past the first unit in line, changing the T's effectiveness dramatically.

Below decks? The floor is grated, so presumably there's things below the "living" deck we're seeing.
But I don't know shit about SW tech because I lean way more into the fantasy rather than sci-fi parts of the science fantasy, so feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

The what? Engines are behind hyperdrive
What do you mean there is more than enough room for anything Gigoran size or below

>Build: Not Attractive

What are some good ideas for an Edge of the Empire campaign?

And I doubt we will see, unless the new LoGH delivers (I'm still hopeful damit).
Also nice ships.
But yeah, seems than star wars capital battles follow age of sail like doctrine, with the add on of fighters.

Deadman's Switch with rakghouls/geonosin brain worms instead of insect spirits.

The Galaxy is tumbling off a cliff towards Balkanisation, it's very hard to recover.

Here. Read this and UNDERSTAND it.

mediafire.com/file/esz9oqz31d1ppl6/deckplan.html

Your deck plan is nothing but habitable space. It ignores headroom, structure, necessary component space (engines, etc) that take up massive amounts of interior space in EVERY ship.

The plan looks very nice. But you're making the same mistake that a ton of "official" artists do; all you care about *is* the habitable space. Ships don't work like that. At the very minimum, delete all but 2 sets of quarters, delete all the "storage" spaces and Escape Pod 2, cut the width of the circular corridor in the center in half, and devote ALL that space to "starship components". A sample is pic related, though I can't cut the circular corridor width in half without paint. A 10-foot wide corridor in a ship that small is a ludicrous waste of space.

Balkan galaxy is best Galaxy. The Republic was weak and boring to play on, after Endor tough it's full of posiblities.

I have never not wanted to just fill in the empty space on the YT-2400, because it's such a stupid idea to not have that sort of structural strength

ISD I > ISD II

>(I'm not really sure how Bail and Raddus interact as of yet)
If Bail is on the set aside ship, he's not in play to resolve his ability after deployment, and does nothing.

Strategically, the glaring issue I see is that you've only got one ship to warp Raddus in off, so if it dies you've lost the benefit; and even if not your opponent is going to be able to position around you. The other big thing is that even if you max shields on both arcs facing the target, most ISDs are gonna win that trade after a few turns anyways - and they'll have their fleets (and squadrons) nearby to pitch in, whereas yours will be far away. You'll also be perpetually out-activated.

Keep in mind that with FCTs, ACMs, and HIEs, you're paying 18 points for 5 extra damage that's contingent on rolling two different colors of crit. Even if you get those rolls, you're putting out 9-10 damage; braced to 7-8. You're looking at around a 60% chance of getting one crit or the other, and around 40% chance of getting both. That drops your *average* damage down a lot.

Whereas, if you took, say, the Ordnance Cruiser with Ordnance Experts, ACMs, and External Racks, your front arc is still dishing 9-10 damage braced to 5, but doing it *consistently*, and for almost 20 points cheaper - and that's before considering your side arc is deadlier too.

Did you read the Raddus article they threw up? It's written by one of the playtesters on his experience using Raddus. (Link's in the OP.)

Dang, this one is fucked in terms of cargo holds.
I can only imagine how shitty would be to be in a tour in a cheap corvette or something, packed like sardines trying to save as many mass and space possible, with the spacers sleeping where they can ala Das Boot.

Players are mercenaries hired by a backwater colony founded by refugees fleeing the Empire. Supply runs, diplomacy with nearby civilizations, protection from pirates, a comfy base of operations. Plenty of potential.

The tl;dr of this just sounds like design a weirdly shaped submarine.

Pretty much stated already, but the idea was the Republic/Empire was an unusual time for the galaxy. Legends and Canon pretty much establish a lot of organizations would otherwise enjoy sovereignty.

Chaos in the aftermath of the Empire's fall allowed several organizations to form. Both canons involve some degree of the New Republic reigning them in after the post-Endor chaos but both encounter difficulty. Hutt Space is always hard to control, you have consortiums like the Hapes break out again. Confederacy of Corporate Systems .

Tl;dr Space Nationalism exists and the Republic was unusual in keeping everyone together. Without a strong, unifying figure systems are bound to break off.

This makes me wonder why no one's made a giant RA3-like Paradox mod for the Star Wars galaxy where there's all these smaller factions to play as

A campaign where the PCs are space cops instead of space criminals.

>Dang, this one is fucked in terms of cargo holds.

Well yeah. Light freighters aren't supposed to carry huge amounts of cargo. They carry *valuable* cargo - if you want lots of cargo space, hire a bulk freighter. If you're carrying valuable cargo, having space for 18, 125-cubic foot pallets (5x5x5) is a pretty fair bit. That's just about 2 complete IRL cargo containers worth of cubage.

Honestly, looking at that deckplan, I would have preferred to delete Hold #2 entirely, but I also do get that the YT-2400 is a PC ship and PCs need a place to sleep. Players are very wierd about hot-racking bunks, and they ARE flying around in a ship built for about 4 crew, of which only 2 will be on duty at any one time (so only 2 racks plus the captains would be needed).

He has a Jedi Academy so he clearly isn't replicating the Old Jedi way of one Padawan to one Master.

The power of space realism must retreat in the face of Space Fantasy.

2 Crew, 6 passengers. No mention of conversion, so unless you cram a triple bunk in those two passenger cabins.

Trips = truth.

Spaceships kinda are just wierdly-shaped submarines in general. They can be little nicer because sci-fi, but looking at the maintenance and escape pod access corridors on the Tantive IV, they feel basically just like a submarine's. Certainly a ship should be CLOSER to a submarine than it should be to an aircraft carrier's hangar deck (ie, entirely empty usable space).

Well, what's a starship if not a submarine than doesn't have to conform hydrodynamic shenaningans. At best some aerodynamics if you want it to enter atmosphere.

I like pre-Clone Wars galaxy. Republic is dominant but only out to the Mid Rim. Outer Rim is basically free for all with Hutts, Mandos, Corporate sector, independent worlds etc