mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame

mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy
tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more

basiclandart.tumblr.com

> Budget lists for newer players

docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing

READINGS

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but oddly relevant)

channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database

pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lich-and-tell/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6a_JQ9C4c4
youtube.com/watch?v=5Drh2tBD8kQ
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-mono-blue-delver#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-burn-30586#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/949308805313019905
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Legacy is a Dying Format (tm)

I play Post, and Grixis Delver is easy-peasy. If it was really tier 0 it would be common enough to drive out storm, and post would be tier 1.

only if your poor :^)

I have lost more to leovold BUG than to grixis delver

I'm playing UW stoneblade (without wasteland) and I want to improve my 4c loam/punishing maverick matchup, what's my best sideboard option?

RIP turns off their Loam engine. not sure if chalice is too much of an issue to you but white has good artifact destruction options. Back to Basics seems like it would be good too. You can work off of mostly basics and they cannot. Beyond that, maybe some extra removal like Path to Exile if their creatures are causing you problems. Could try a spicy equipment option too.

>Path
>not STP
baka desu famalam

Not really legacy but
>Playing against wife
>She is playing blue/green deck with lots of spells that make me return cards to hand or give cards to her
>Play black/white, love playing my sheoldred but every fucking time I play it she either unsummons it or steals it from me
Anyone know what I should do about this?
I have a card that adds protection from blue and green but she would probably just destroy the enchantment on me.

Anyone liking any cards from Rivals? Was hoping for some neat tech for fish, but none of it fits well.

>extra
>removal
>like
>Path
I'm assuming they're running 4x STP already familia. It's a stoneblade deck.

Wrong thread. It's pretty hard to answer questions about casual because no one knows the exact power level of what you're playing and the most realistic answer is probably don't play bad cards like sheoldred.

This honestly, this is the worst thread to be asking these kinda questions.

That said, God's Willing?

So I've been playing my Lich deck in xmage.
For the most part, it goes a little something like this

>Game 1: 90% lose
>Game 2: Win by SnT
>Game 3: 90% lose

I guess any tips for Game 3? Cause after they see me play SnT, it's pretty much a race to remove it.

Shouldn't you be thinking about how to win g1?

I do, but that's the usual result, I guess.

Also, I'm probably

I'm probably having a little trouble piloting.

Well don't forget that the deck is kind of bad. If I was going to play it anytime soon, I'd probably play something like this: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lich-and-tell/

I don't think Grix is Tier 0. Piloting skill has a lot to do with how the matchup goes, and I think plenty of tools are there to beat it. It's only getting easier with cards like Silent Gravestone and Blood Sun. I think it's a somewhat problematic archetype, but I don't think it's at the point that it deserves a ban the way Miracles did. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to practice lately because I'm in the midst of a move and I don't MTGO.

On a semirelated note, what are good places for Legacy in greater NYC? I'm gonna be living on the Jersey side, so I'm wondering whether it'll take an hour and a half to get to a decent tournament.

Don't load up on high-cost threats. The reason Legacy is predominantly comprised of decks that curve out at 2–3 is that there are 25 years' worth of answers to high-powered cards, so you don't usually want to bank on them when they get answered really easily by free stuff.

Here's another way of looking at it: what took me forever to learn about control in MtG is that though control cards are probably the most potent "interactive" cards in the game, you need at least as many as your opponent has threats to actually stall someone out. So if you're playing a Sheoldred and hoping it'll win you the game, you're open to losing because it gets sniped; if you're playing 16 Bolt clones, your opponent needs to find a ton of counterspells to stop them from getting cooked. That's one reason combo is usually the weakest archetype: sure, what you're doing is better than what they're doing, but if they knock out one block, the whole Jenga tower regularly crumbles.

Monastery Mentor. Seriously, any white deck that's not TurboHatebears and isn't playing that card is doing it wrong.

I don't think the Grix matchup is too bad for Storm. It's definitely harder than any of the other Delver decks or Berserk Poison, but it doesn't play Chalice or Exhume.

>Monastery Mentor. Seriously, any white deck that's not TurboHatebears and isn't playing that card is doing it wrong.
pretty much this. any amount of spells takes over the game.

Im moving to vintage. I lost all interest in the meta decks of legacy. The format could really use a new deck right now. Is there any "please build around me" cards that arent utilized yet?

Should I run surgical extraction to attack their Punishing fire/Life from the loams? Currently I run Faerie Macabre as Graveyard hate because it dodges Chancellor of the Annex and occasionally Xantid Swarm, but for Storm I usually pack 2 flusterstorm and 2 aethersworn canonist. I also run 2 back to basics Maindeck, but Abrubt Decay usually kill’s that one after a few turns. Mentor seems like a good addition, I’ll probably add 2 to the sideboard as I currently have 2 free slots in my Sideboard.

The vintage meta is definitely more stale than that of legacy. I think you're looking for Modern if you want untamed variety.

What's the theme song for your local legacy scene?

>mine
m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6a_JQ9C4c4

>I lost all interest in the meta decks of legacy
Have fun playing one of the 6 viable vintage decks.

After some goldfishing and tweaking i actually think this list that i posted is kind of alright. Just SnT-ing in a Giselbro or ProG is is alright, and all the individual peices play nice with each other. And in a pinch you can draw a ton of cards with griseldude and draw the game with a big ol sickening dreams

So if I lose interest in all the meta decks of legacy does it mean I cant have interest in the few vintage decks? I dont think you understood the message right.

I did a little bit last night.
Took a couple mental notes on the matches, but seems a bit better than the list I've made together

I have the opportunity of buying a BGS 9 graded Library of Alexandria in my city for €800 (or hopefully less considering they're selling online). Should I?
It would be my first investment.

Shit condition ones (dog bites etc) go for 450 so it doesnt sound that bad.

It's all 9s. I wish it was a 10 though.

Is Tin Fins still a thing? I remember it being fun as fuck to pilot years ago

Yes it is

What do you see as the essential "good guy" Legacy decks? For me it's something along the lines of Maverick, RUG Delver, Goblins and DnT.

I'd add Pox and Red Stompy to that list

>turn 1 let's not play magic
>good guy
Eh, I guess.

Any changes? I mostly play EDH and I know that Aetherflux has taken the place of Tendrils in high-tier lists, dunno if that holds true for Legacy

>i heard you were bullying fair decks with your leovold drs 4c manabase bullshit
>not so tough now, eh?
Bullying the bully counts as a good thing in my book

gonna buy rishadan ports, vials and 2 caverns for DnT
any other legacy decks that use ports and vials?

Goblins my man.

I think it hasn't changed much desu. There's a pretty active thread on the source. Some people have tried Magus of the Will/Mind but I don't think much came of it.

When are they gonna ban gitaxian probe?

>endless salty tears from dual-lands-playing snobs
>not the most righteous thing ever

>What's the theme song for your local legacy scene?
youtube.com/watch?v=5Drh2tBD8kQ

Hey, Veeky Forums. I asked a question over here though I suppose I could have asked it here - what's your impression of my decks as far as relative simplicity/synergy/fun? Anything I should change out, reasonably priced of course?

Not legacy, but if you want cheap fun decks, Pauper is always a good choice.

Mono Blue deck - mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-mono-blue-delver#paper

Mono red deck - mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-burn-30586#paper

don't let it die

Give me a interesting card to try to build a deck around

armageddon

So ideally you'd want to ramp into that spell that puts lands in the graveyard right? Here let me start your list for you.

>4 Deathrite Shaman

Literally just Armageddon Stax.

what if you ramp with veteran explorer? they'll never see it coming

Anyone else that has some insight or advice to give?

so what if we...
armageddon
crucible of worlds
eternal witness

buttcoins

Birthing Pod
Make a memebrew with some unusual color combination like Temur

My favorite modern deck is mono u timewalks. Would it be possible to brew a legacy version utilizing FoW, brainstorm and other goodies? Bear in mind that cards like Gigadrowse is a powerhouse that allows me to tap out my opponent's land on their upkeep, and replicate means the copies have to be countered individually lest you trickbind the replicate trigger.

For reference, this is my modern deck list.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

All the free spells in this format make things like gigadrowse a lot less effective. If you werre to attempt something like this. Id start with 4x sapphire medallion and some city of traitors or something. But if all you want it a spicy mono blue deck that does lots of stuff as it goes off, check out high tide.

Mirage Mirror

Blue/Red deck around Benthicore and Splinter Twin.

Just play High Tide.

What if miracles with brainstorm ponder and all the 2-3 birds that have etb of reordering top 3-4 cards of deck?

How easy it is to make a IE/CE edition to look like a real card? Im planning to use one in cube so wouldnt they look good if just round up the corners and have them in sleeves? Only the backside is golden in some of them.

:thinking:

It might work, but how are you going to get the mana to play blood sun and what are you going to use your mana for?

Dont know but I think the prices for the lands will go up. EDH will surely use them

Indeed. R.I.P
It's not just card availability that's an issue.

If they would only take duals away from reserved list it would be way more alive.

ded thread, ded format

would it be a terrible idea to play DnT if I'm still pretty new to legacy
seems stronger than dead guy ale which I'm currently playing. I like DGA but it's super inconsistent

Mentor is so much better in a delver shell or something that can reliably cast 3-5 spells in a turn.

Not sure your exact list, and I don't have a ton of 4c loam around here, but containment priest and prelate both shut them down a lot when played right, and can be used against a ton of other decks each.

I feel like you're planning on doing the same thing a big B cabal coffers deck would do, except you're relying on more cards to do it, with the exceptions that /maybe/ you can use more colors. Honestly, look up Train Wreck on mtgtop8 and just make a modern list of that.

no, you'll just learn the format.

Doesn't work the way you want it to. It's a replacement effect

Agree with this. Too much of a staple

Sees play in CG-Post, the swiss army knife of cards there. Activates depths, copies Cloudpost, etc.

it works, Rules Manager says so.
twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/949308805313019905
614.12. Some replacement effects modify how a permanent enters the battlefield. (See rules 614.1c–d.)
Such effects may come from the permanent itself if they affect only that permanent (as opposed to a
general subset of permanents that includes it). They may also come from other sources. To
determine which replacement effects apply and how they apply, check the characteristics of the
permanent as it would exist on the battlefield, taking into account replacement effects that have
already modified how it enters the battlefield (see rule 616.1), continuous effects generated by the
resolution of spells or abilities that changed the permanent’s characteristics on the stack (see rule
400.7a), and continuous effects from the permanent’s own static abilities, but ignoring continuous
effects from any other source that would affect it.

>It's a replacement effect
Except no it's fucking not, it's a continuous effect.

the lands have replacement effects. However (and this is actually a recent rules change) blood sun does turn off those abilities, so it does work. It's just probably not good enough.

The card does lots of fun things, but unlike Blood Moon, it cannot end a game on its own so for 3 mana it's just not good enough. I suspect that Wizards knew this so tacked "Draw a card" onto it as compensation for being so bad.

Some of the fun stuff it does include:
>City of Brass no longer damages you
>Bouncelands become Sol lands
>Burnwillows no longer gives your opponent life
>Shocklands become dual lands

But by far the single most amusing thing that Blood Sun does:
>Equip Basilisk Collar to Dryad Arbor, pass
>Opponent plays Blood Sun
>Dryad Arbor loses deathtouch and lifelink

>investment

I'm not sure if its a good idea to begin investing right now. Until we see how stable WOTC is after all of their recent political "maneuvers;" as well as some terribly anti-competitive business moves, it would be prudent to be patient. Maybe this one card is fine (decent deal btw), afterwards i would stop for a little bit. See how Dominaria fares. Not being partisan, but if you know anything of the market, its that apolitical products shouldn't move towards politicization. I would recommend we wait and see if they stabilize before investing too heavily.

>But by far the single most amusing thing that Blood Sun does...
Guess I'll have to reequip it then

So its confirmed bouncelands just come in untapped for 2 mana? Into edgar it goes.

they're both fine decks. deadguy is a totally legitimate strategy and i think you probably just need more practice to git gud with it.

Woohoo, first step

Rate my meme
Gonna swap one island for a volcanic soon

Sideboard

Seems fair. There's also the new speculation about Hasbro selling WotC that's bothering me. Thanks for the response.

6/10 have you considered Parfait my good fellow?

I like permission, plus this way I can switch to miracles if the meta doesn't favour my deck

hoping for a drs and brainstorm ban so BGW nic fit is better

whats above the RiP's

Must be energy field

Is legacy boggles possible? I think it's there, but no one has taken the time to discover it

we can just hope that the chinese prints get better and better in the future

What would it do better than infect?

What's a comfy control deck?

I think it protects itself better, having a better defense since it doesn't get as wrecked by some of the staple spells of the format. But it'd be pretty much a more punishment-resistant infect. Still good enough to be a deck on par with it, I think, which is reason enough for it to exist.

So all these Team Constructed events lately have me thinking about Legacy. Is Legacy Affinity a viable on-ramp to the format, or would I just be wasting my time getting stomped left and right? I've been reading up on it and I suspect that the answer is "getting stomped", but I figure it can't hurt to ask for opinions here.

I think affinity isn't all that amazing, to be honest. Maybe legacy robots could be a thing, but most cards you'll use in it would be better suited for other types of deck, so idk