What would a Waterworld setting be like?

What would a Waterworld setting be like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=At2BWcWqxRA
pastebin.com/CwVgtm8G
youtube.com/watch?v=I_5F1zYQF5M
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/56788134/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=At2BWcWqxRA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wet

Hot and dry

Earth of 2100, if Global Warming were real.

Fpbp
>came here to post this

Depends on whether or not there's catgirls.

comfy image

Very likely a Super-Earth. The more massive a rocky planet is, the more gravity it has to hold water. Hydrogen, being a light gas, has more difficulties to escape the planet with higher gravity hence more opportunities to combine itself with oxygen to form water. Super-Earths are likely to be completely covered in water unless they have very high geological activity. That said, the deeper this ocean is, the less life since light can't reach the deeper levels -> no photosynthesis. The deepest ones would have such gravity and pressure that the water on the bottom becomes solid ice by pressure alone. This is not normal ice you see on Earth but a one denser than liquid water (there are many types of ice).

youtube.com/watch?v=At2BWcWqxRA

I don't know, that fucking giant crab in the bottom doesn't make feel comfortable

Enjoy your hyper-storms

From the thumbnail that looked like The Day After's absolutely fucked Earth

Wizard of Earthsea
Pirates of Blackwater
Waterworld

Immersive.

He's just chillin'.

Lots of gigantic hurricanes

Check out Gargantia On the Verdurous Planet if you want some setting inspiration.

Good shit.

Mad Max on the water. Just watch Waterworld.

my takes:
>It's low fantasy and the world is big, so you have the remnants of a once powerful trade civilization living among scattered islands far off from major continents, like the pacific islanders as far as the look of the location. The world isn't water, but the world they know is water.

or
>most land is under the poles and frozen over and inhabited by coast dwelling viking-like people or monsters.
>there is is a single continent non-frozen continent, but it's dangerous nearly inhospitable, filled with monsters and things too terrifying to encounter surrounded by harsh unforgiving deserts.
>people live on the coast or on islands surrounding the rest of the known world.
>It's easier to eliminate all the monsters on an island and over thousands of years that's what humans did to survive.

or
>traditional "oceans rose, mountains became islands" idea is ok.
>they also live in the remnants of the ancients who are blamed for angering the gods/doing something bad to cause this
>there are massive constructs like man-made islands that are used.

or
>land floats. For some reason be it magical or due to certain elements in the world filling every inch of soil and rock, or due to massive floating reef-like structures that grew over millennia around volcanic vents and were able to withstand the heat more than enough to catch and build up layers of molten rock creating massive island structures.
>sometimes they collect together or break apart, few are as big as Japan, but they exist. smaller islands get caught up around them and tend either for complex tidal reasons, or due to some magic
>mapmaking and navigation are very active and dynamic trades.
>politics and wars between islands and island clusters shift as the currents do and as they drift towards or away from each other.
>there are very few solid and stationary islands due to the depth of the ocean, but the small tops over underwater mountains that manage to breach are the source of legends and myth.

Shit.

Fuck yes, I don't know anyone else who's actually watched this show. Highly recommend for the setting, but also for the great implementation of different languages as a story element.

I think piss is better word to use seeing op's world is covered in liquids.

Damn it, you beat me to it.

Also because Kevin Costner drank his own piss in Waterworld

lots of cool sailboats

Surprisingly similar to a Postman setting

I think it could be a "fluid" setting that might make a "splash" if you "pooled" your knowledge together and rode a "wave" of enthusiasm, I'm sure it wouldn't be a "wash" out.

Alright moronic jokes aside, have some islands and sea creatures.

set to expire in one month
pastebin.com/CwVgtm8G

a high tech setting, as water worlds would probably not be able to develop technological life due to a lack of land

fuck
meant to say would not be able to develop technological life on their own
meaning the population of a water world would have once been colonists
whether or not they're connected to the galaxy at large, or a sublight colony in a no-ftl universe is up to you

I think it'd be pretty deep.

>massive floating reef-like structures that grew over millennia

All I can see is that magic island from the Life of Pi that survives off of eating lots of fish at night. But volcanic vents seem more steady than eating fish.

Subnautica with guns.

Shit, I didn't notice that crab. Wait... I get it now. This is not a comfy image. It's not happy, or silly, or playful, or any of that shit. That's all a ruse. A veneer. This is an image of a dystopia populated by catgirls decorating their meager living space with scavenged trash from a world long dead, in a desperate gambit to forget their position in life. Trying to forget that the slightest slip could result in their death. That their lives are subject to the fickle whims of the sea and its creatures. That this moment, right now, could be their last.

How could we have been so blind? We saw their cute faces, their cute ears, but we couldn't see their hearts, beating like war drums. Their palms, as wet as the depths below them with nervous sweat. We couldn't see the turmoil, the depression, the impotent anger. For God's sake, we didn't even notice the broken catgirl at the top, committing suicide before our very eyes!

>thumbnail

Just means more crab meat.

CATastrophe

No you idiot, everyone knows cats are by far the best fish-catchers, the girl diving is diving in the water to swim around and catch a fish so a person's order can be filled.

JEEZ, ya make everything so serious.

>What would a Waterworld setting be like?

It has the potential to be a deep setting, but I couldn't fathom running it with most players because it would just be a shallow and dry game unless they were really willing to dive in. I imagine it would take atoll on most GMs, but on the other hand it could probably tide you over between serious campaigns.

You're good. Your humor held its water.

BADUMTSSSS~

fuck you beat me to it

Explain the one making a 9.5/10 into the water

Pacifically though

Not to be a wet blanket, but this is worse than that god awful kevin kostner movie.

I see someone is afraid of crabs.

You need to just go with the flow.

I think that's the one he's referring to about the suicide. Water=death.

I'm trying to think of a water-related pun but my arsenal is running dry.

Oh shit pirates of blackwater.

youtube.com/watch?v=I_5F1zYQF5M

Imagine them as spelljamming ships, the black water is the void, which has started consuming everyone, everywhere, every when. Stormy seas ahead.

I wonder what exotic ices are like.

Some are most likely lighter than air.

So many fucking enourmous storms wracking the planet.

It's a real 'bolt from the blue' isn't it? Thank you, thank you, try the opabinia, it's the best in the sea.

GLORY TO THE BATTLE CRAB
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/56788134/

A world with only a handful of small islands, if even that, for humanity to naturally live on. Life is hard for these land dwelling humans; with such little space these islands either needed to instigate severe population control (maybe to the point of human sacrifice) or become incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. Tropical storms ravage their lands with such fervor that permanent residences above ground are considered foolish in the best of cases. Complicating matters, the oceans of this planet are filled with such voracious predators, such heinous life, that only the bravest would dare venture into the depths.

And yet, for those few who possess the courage, the ambition, or the need, these oceanic depths hold an abundance like no other. Fish in schools too numerous and massive to count. Strange reefs whose coral can be fashioned into the finest weapons and tools. And most damning of all, strange ruinous formations, remnants of a time long since past.

This is a world of both danger and opportunity, a world where one could find either their fortune or death in the deep blue sea. All they have to do is take the dive.

you fucked up son

Serious question; how exactly might human colonists settle a land-minimal world such as an ocean planet?

Drop some high-velocity metal rods to shake up the plates and get some vulcanism going.

Export water to Mars.

Are they explosive in some way or are they being dropped from space? I thought land had to be under the rod when it dropped for that, due to the heat of the rod causing it to self destruct when it hits cold water.

i like the end of waterworld
the dude is special, and finally reached the promised land with chosen ones

but it's not his nature
he doesn't fit it
he feels wrong here

and he leaves
he returned on the ocean, alone
forever

what a great ending

Well, when you said "land-minimal", I assumed there would at least be some land above sea level to target.

If it's 100% ocean surface, then yeah you'll have to look at subterranean atomic explosives.

I know part of it was just because I was 14-15 when it came out, but I really love it even today.

that's fair, and I didn't really mean 0% land above water, so your answer worked, I just then realized it wouldn't work for a water body target, unless the rod was significantly bigger, like a giant meteor.

Splash

A lot of floating platforms over the most accessible oceanfloor parts, with maybe the only land parts being a mined out and developed mess?

Ocean floor colonies in the shallower areas. Wave action goes away a couple hundred feet below the surface so it's the only place on the planet that's immune to hurricane damage. Underwater farming and geothermal power would be useful. The surface could basically be vacation land and a spaceport.

I was studying one of my old settings and I came across a list of planets I made some time back, here's the ocean worlds from that.

"dense atmosphere" means its so dense you can't see the surface (at all) from space.

>Divuuza – Bitterly cold ocean world. 5.6% land surface.
>Candiru – Large number of underwater volcanos make a tropical environment. Ocean world with a 12.2% land surface.
>Biryat – nearly all surface land is perma-flooded swamp jungle. Ocean world with 17.2% land-surface.
>Nidro – Deadly cold permanent night ocean world. 12.4% land-surface.
>Ahura – ocean is see-through-blue clean, ocean world. 9% land-surface.
>Luoak – Dense atmosphere ocean world, 7% land-surface.
>Raelon – Total darkness and bioluminescent life. Ocean world with 12.4% land-surface.
>Minholt – Extremely gradually drying out vibrant ocean world, 4.8% land-surface.
>Veedbo – Ocean world with oval-shaped orbit that takes it near the sun for an intense 9 month scalding but survivable summer, then 2 years of long winter. 2.7% land-surface.
>Xhu – Ocean black with tannin and warm. 11% land-surface.
>Osiro – Shallow high salt seas. Salt count so high this ocean world’s waters never freeze, land surface 13.1%.
>Worudba – Hurricanes are very common. Ocean world with 7.6% land surface.
>Voguin – Dense atmosphere imitates a polar climate despite closeness to star. Ocean world with 9.1% land surface.

So with your answers in mind, are there any ocean worlds at that are especially suited to colonization just based on the brief information on the list?

I could give more specific information if it was needed.

Unfortunately no, there'd still be a lot of land in that case. In fact, Florida is the only US state that would be completely underwater if the ice caps completely melted, because of course it would.

Like this.

>florida going away
>unfortunate in any way shape or form

Much like the origins of life on Earth, warm, shallow seas are optimal for colonizing if you can avoid storm damage.

So none of the bitterly/deadly cold worlds, none of the totally dark worlds, and none of the dense atmosphere worlds.

Possibly Osiro could be ideal, since it's a salt water ocean world and it's water never actually freezes.

>underwater stuff doesn't have barnacles or tunicates or algae or anything growing on it

>what would a waterworld setting be like?
>check out waterworld, it would be like that

Gee thanks user

>not riding the hyperstorms waiting for that one wave, the one gust, that will flutter you up to the realm of the god's beyond the water world

>what a bodacious, bodacious day brah

No one mentioned Blue Submarine No.6?
>submarines
>underwater bases
>underwater ruins
>overwater ruins
>mecha
>AI
>biomechanical constructs
>artificial sapience / uplifting
>human experiments
>qt hybrid girls
>terraforming (aquaforming?)
Too bad it wasn't really explored properly and likelly never will be.

Depends alot on the average depth of the water.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=At2BWcWqxRA

Sounds kinda like CATastrophe.

T H A L A S S O C R A C Y

>what would post-apocalypse australia be like?
>just watch Mad Max, it'd be just like that
>Gee thanks user

I mean he answered the question.
The elemental plane of water: The planet

I dunno, OP, something seems fishy about the premise.

perhaps that's the hook that's been baited to get you to swim.

Wet I imagine

>What would a Waterworld setting be like?

Fuck, sure, why not. This is what I'd do:

-The World
>There's only maybe 10% or less 'dry' land and most of it comes in the form of atolls, loosely connected strings of islands, and at least one australian sized land mass.
>The ocean is completed connected, but it's divided up into 'shallow', 'open water', and actually deep portions. There are entire continent spanning shallow seas, reefs, with little atolls peeking on them.
>Average temperature is maybe 25-27 degrees Celsius, it's a very warm, tropical, world with no polar ice caps.
>Weather is predictable, but strong: massive waves, tsunamis, typhoons, but they come like clockwork.
>3 Moons

-The People
>Fantasy Races: Most to least populated races: Animal People(think shark, turtle, tuna, etc), 'Sea' Elves, Orcs(& Ogres), Cyclops, and 'other'.
>World is dangerously loaded with millions, maybe billions, of tribal Animal People who raid, pillage, and fill the ocean. This is their world.
>Sea Elves are 'the' people: really just pointy eared, pretty, tanned, sun-damaged blondes, who've built civilizations and coastal beacons of hope. Think Hylians, not 'Elf', 'Elves'.
>Orcs exist on numerous, metal, rusty, platform-fortresses, and stupidly massive steam-powered, juggernaut shits of their own creation.
>Cyclopes were 'the' people, but they couldn't keep their numbers up. Brilliant, beautiful, but weird looking people; they're not particularly bitter, just introverted: avoid the giants, make friends with the people sized ones.
>'Other' includes species like Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, etc: they all have their tribes, villages, etc, but due to such a harsh genre shift this really isn't 'their' world, but you can't ever seem to get rid of these types.

Expensive and very boring.

I would play in this setting. It's like a reverse Dark Sun.

Aquatic environments let you do some crazy stuff in scifi settings.
>Europa or Enceladus for lightless water worlds heated only by their own volcanism
>aquatic aliens in a more temperate setting, like the Xindi or space mermaids
>gravity/magnetic contained spheres of ocean and atmosphere as an equivalent to orbital mini ringworlds or O'Neill Cylinders

If you want a zannier waterworld, One Piece provides plenty of options and has plenty of weird shit on top of the massive amounts of ocean to spice things up. Like weirdass magnetics fields and such that make navigating weird as fuck.

I think the next question to start asking is; what forms of intelligent life could already be on a water-world when the colonists arrived?

Don't worry, it'll be smooth sailing from here.

Heres a rather strange plot twist, not sure how zany it is though, the HMS Gladden Fields (british navy warship, commissioned 1913 AD) falls through a time space warp and ends up in the world of one piece.

I was really drowning there, thanks for the life-saver.

it's all good, I don't mind helping to turn the tide on this one.

Just when I think I've hit sea bottom you come along and throw me in a trench, the pressure is killing my sides.

Probably not much of anything. Nobody on that ship is tough enough to make it even in the East blue as anything but a civi and the ship's tech is pretty much irrelevant in the face of the exotic materials that are mandatory for high level play and the power of basically anyone of importance.

Plus Dr. Vegapunk is explicitly stated to be 500 years ahead of his time in terms of the bullshit he produces, and he's working for one of the big three groups of the setting.