The Castle Greyhawk Comic

castlegreyhawk.blogspot.com/2014/

For those of you who have played old-as-fuck DND, does this comic give off the old fashioned feel in a way that is faithful? I've become interested in the down-to-earth zero-meta-gaming and highly creative playstyle of 1970's dnd.

>Not knowing what spells are until you cast them
>clever shit like El Raja Key
>having to figure out what magic items do
>henchmen, meaningful treasure, and a dungeon's impact on the people around it

Other urls found in this thread:

blogofholding.com/?p=4050
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>old DnD
>all wizard party
>surviving low levels
Pick two.

^pic
I have never had a player say anything like this- nobody has ever even thought about creating their own spell. Meanwhile, so many of the spells we have today were created by THESE very PC wizards. What edition stopped telling wizards to create their own spells? I'm running 2eAD&D and it's in there.

3e has a laundry list of spells that eats up around half the PHB but less than a page on making spells and it mostly amounts to “ehh basically don’t” IIRC.

>page 21 is 404ed

Welp, I'm done with this subpar web comic. Neat premise, poor dialogue, and shoddy webmastering.

As for the feel presented by this perspective of Oerth, think that's something that is a good idea to emulate?

OSR media is a big thing right now, lots of media in Japan - like Veeky Forums's favorite Veeky Forums, Dungeon Meshi, which is based on the old Wizardry Games - and there's a persistent general on the board.

The FEEL of OSR is great, people like the low fantasy/high lethality/everyone is useful feel. It's just actually playing these systems that cause difficulty. Even then, a grog might argue that's a good thing and how accessibility is part of the problem

>>having to figure out what magic items do
I do this all the time - I always think magic items should be relatively rare, and highly individual. No two magic swords for example should look alike, and determining that a sword carries an enchantment and what that enchantment does should require some effort on the player's part
Potions that come as loot are rarely if ever labelled. Which has lead to some interesting scenarios, such as one player's dwarf drinking a potion of firebreath thinking it was whiskey, and then later falling in love with the party;s pack mule after unwittingly drinking a love potion

>down-to-earth zero-meta-gaming and highly creative playstyle of 1970's dnd.
LMAO oh you poor sweet summer child.

I am a summer child, man! Hitting my second year mark for DMing 5e and I've been consuming so much stuff even a few months before I started. Me and my players got excited about playing AD&D Second edition, and we all poured through that maze of a book, and have been playing it for some time.
I've played 3.5 with my father's friend and his kids, and I've even slogged through a cancerous round of Pathfinder on roll20.
Point is I haven't really gone too deep into any edition that's not 5e, but I've been dipping my toes in as many things as I can grasp (Not other non-d20 games, but those will come soon!) and I just keep consuming more. I read Vecna Rises and was charmed. I'm getting into the OG Supplement 1 Castle Greyhawk. I'm adding stuff from 3E's Draconomicon and Book of Vile Darkness into 5e. I'm just drawing from everything in sight and it's thrilling!

In that case I would recommend AD&D Forgotten Realms grey box set I'm confident you'll enjoy that.

Yeah, when I was diving in Dragon Magazine for stuff about Fraz-Urbluu I found a piece from Ed Greenwood about how he was writing what would become the Realms before DND even got made, and how it came to be involved overtime. Even earlier I read about how much of Forgotten realms was about having the planes and gods have purpose and meaning.
The funny thing is my worldsetting I set out to make was directly because I thought that the Realms' planes and gods were too wishy washy and lacked punch (thanks 4e cosmology). So his setting has probably changed a lot in 40 years... I'll get on that, buddy.

BTW, is it just me or is initiative in 2e a FUCKING mess? Switching from 6 second rounds to "eh, it's about a minute, and a turn is 10 minutes. You can't tell how much time exactly passes in the heat of combat! Here, I'll show you how it takes 60 seconds to drink a fucking potion."
That shit is so fascinating to read but hard to implement without...
uhg...
I am so wary of having those classic 20 or 40 enemies at once encounters... coming from 5e where I never throw more than 8 things at a party at once... May the morale saves help us all.

>Ed Greenwood about how he was writing what would become the Realms before DND
Moonshae were written just before grey box was published, but if you're talking about Greenwood it would be 'One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta'

Fraz-Urbluu was intentionally placed as a foil to Ernie who was running around dual wielding two +5 vorpal bastard swords, Gary believed he'd become a tad over powered.

The round mess yes you're right and hindsight it is, but 'back in the day' it was just the way it was.

>I set out to make was directly because I thought that the Realms' planes and gods were too wishy washy and lacked punch
Addendum: Before 3rd edition came along Forgotten Realms just used the Great Wheel cosmology like Greyhawk.

I can't find the OSR thread rn soo...

>great wheel cosmology

What do you think about the four elemental inner planes vs the weird 3d quasi-elemental planes? I just feel like Mineral Swamp and Ooze etc imbalance the cosmology, but then again we do have 5e's "plane of swamp, ice, dust and mountains" stuff inbetween.

As much as I think it's stupid to have a "plane of lightning" I love the idea of spells calling from these places. I don't know...

>What do you think about the four elemental inner planes vs the weird 3d quasi-elemental planes?
The quasi and the paras have been a feature since 1st. Quasi was just described as the confluence of two paras. I'm not sure about swamp though I haven't kept up with D&D since 3.5 ended its product line, I don't particularly care to either.

Not that you care, but

>5e

>Quasi was just described as the confluence of two paras.
I think that was correct it might be just two elemental planes rather than para-elementals, I haven't read MoP in some time.

I like what they've done there that's a interesting map, I see they've relocated the Isle of Dread to Elemental Water hmmm not sure about that one.

Well, when I did research on the inner, it just seemed like- not enticing for players. I feel like the stale truth is that the only thing worthwhile in the Fire plane is the city of based. The water plane is for shifting ppl there so they drown. If you need diamonds for resurrection and can't get them anywhere else, fight some xorns for them in the earth. And in the air......
>rod of seven parts?

In my setting I made the four main apocalyptic Elemental Primordials bound in prisons on their planes, so that there's a possible quest to stop a cult from releasing any one of them- so there's at least SOMETHING to do in the planes other than what everyone already knows.

>rod of seven parts?
Boxed set mega campaign for 2nd edition.

Addendum: They did a Dungeon adventure path for 3.5 I think it was Age of Wyrms that featured it also IIRC.

Point being, what the fuck is even in the air plane. Bird folk obsessed with a tropey staff and at war against a scary-as-fuck obyrith.

Other than that..it's..it's air... The rod quest as I know of it doesn't take place mainly ON the plane, right?

And what's so elemental about Aarackoa anyway? Salamanders and Azer are fire. Xorn and Galeb Dur are earth. Fish people and bird people are less elementally... I wanted to make it where the party might actually want to go to each of these places.

>implying there wasn't literally a player who ran around solo in Gary's murderous campaigns even without henchmen and kept kicking ass

blogofholding.com/?p=4050

>are you blind?