Shadless in Seattle edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread
→ #

Do you think the Artificer can work in 5e?
What do you want from the class?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/james-haeck-dd-writing
twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/953571726037737472
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Running a planeshift campaign with

>lavastep paladin

>vampire storm sorcererss

>and a retarded amonkhet human rogue

How should i start?

I want to play a lawful good Orc with the Tanarukk Blood feat as a redemption paladin.
A former marauder who was spared by a Redeemer and took it upon themselves to pull others into the light.
is this too much of a Mary Sue character?
Is there any art I could use?

A reason for why the do what they do.

Well of courae

But i cant think of a way for such a group coming together.

Matt Mercer is Great Edition

>What do you want from the class?
To let me shoot things and shoot them good.

Yes, no

I think the big issue with the Artificer class is they felt the need to make subclasses for it, but it's too narrow a class already, but it has too much baggage to just be a Wizard subclass. Its basic functions weren't all that bad.

There's a character art thread this way

>Do you think the Artificer can work in 5e?
Yes. Though it would be great with an upgrade system like this homebrew.

It didn't really have any basic functions.

They got free magic items that were incredibly weak for their level (Especially in any setting that would allow an artificer) and then just got a bunch of attunement slots.

The only things that really the base class had was the companion (which was awful) and the magic infusion (which had limited use because they made them 1/3 casters with a tiny spell list).

>Do you think the Artificer can work in 5e?
Sure
>What do you want from the class?
Puttin magic in magic items. Even if they're only temporary. My dream artificer is actually just Gambit from the X-men

Reposting
Even with a GMpc you will have serious issues unless you have all "roles" covered.

A two player campaign is somewhat of a nightmare even with GM controlled NPCs in fights.

I can not agree with this more. You cannot easily run spellcasters/nonmartial in fights if you are running them + enemies.

5E is heavily balanced around having 4-5 people as well so unless you are running 2 GM Pcs I personally this this will be a serious issue.

I am not talking out of my ass here. I just ran a 7 month 2 player campaign and although everyone had fun and want me to DM in the future...there were serious in-fight logistical issues not to mention critical skill deficiencies outside of fights.

Yikes, I'm pretty liberal (yet very anti-SJW) but if I ever became well known I'd keep my mouth shut.

Making magic items is their thing though. If we remove the subclass bullshit and just let them make stuff, then we can make those features better with the spare levels.

It would really help if there were more of a rule structure to making magic items, then maybe the Artificer would have something to manipulate.

If a vampire spawn is inside a building and the vampire it belongs to is outside, can the spawn invite its master inside?

Does the spawn own the home? You can't invite someone into something that you do not own.

What does /5eg/ think of the UA Stone Sorceror?

If it's a private dwelling it has to be invited by the owner
If it's a public building then no invitation necessary

>he doesn't make the players come up with a reason they all met and are traveling together on their own with his approval
It's been years since I had to work my ass off to make sure every retarded-ass party comp had some arbitrary reason for a bunch of strangers coming together that had to fit everyone's character and was always just short of organic. Let them do the work for you, that shit is far too much of a hassle.

No, the spawn has no ownership of the house and as such no power to invite.

I liked the idea and wish they'd put time into that instead of making hexblade.

>What does /5eg/ think of the UA Stone Sorceror?
I liked it, it was a pretty good Spell Sword, though the flavor could use some touching up , the Con AC should have been dropped to 11+Con instead of 13 + CON, and some of the spells on the expanded spell list probably should have been bonus spells instead of an expanded spell list.

Be good to also get the hexblade ability to use cha as weapon modifier.

Depends on the flavor. They were not really going for the Bounded weapon kinda vibe, it seemed more like earth magic and metal works. There was a Sorcerer homebrew that was posted last thread that does what you're looking for though.

This one.

>Tfw forever DM so probably won't ever get to play not!Tony Stark

Why make the AC 11+Con? With that, you start with 14 AC, 16 with a shield, and have an absolute cap of 18. The class is already stunted in a fight by its poor HP, and we need a replacement for Mage Armor so as to not require the Stone Sorceror to be a Dex build.

In addition, requiring the class to have a shield for decent AC interferes with the spellsword feel.

Using Cha as the weapon modifier helps to solve this problem.

Mate, I do like your brew, I even helped you here with one of the revisions, but ffs stop posting it in every single /5eg/ thread.

Did anyone else feel the need to nerf the Artificer's gun? 2d6 at long range with an option to deal as much damage as the Rogue's Sneak Attack without Sneak Attack's requirements just felt like too much, even for an otherwise underwhelming class.

DMs, how do you manage players checking areas for traps?
My players have been humming and harring over how we're running trapped areas. They say that they want me to assume they're checking for traps constantly, and to take their passive wisdom into account for that. I usually run standard traps at DC 15, which means our rogue will spot every single one. If I do this, I'd just raise the DC to 16 to piss them off.
Our other option is to make them specify when they're checking for traps, but that reeks of us ending up with every other thing said being 'I check for traps'.
Are there any other methods we're missing?

>Why make the AC 11+Con? With that, you start with 14 AC, 16 with a shield, and have an absolute cap of 18. The class is already stunted in a fight by its poor HP,
Due to the subclass having the +1 to hitpoints and CON AC they have a lot of hit points as time goes on, a little more than what most other Sorcerer's would have with a better AC total. 18 Seems like a fair number for a Sorcerer with a Shield instead of 20.

Yeah, Passive Wisdom is garbage. Just make them roll Perception or Investigation and don't tell them why.

If you want them to put the work in, you could do conversational trap checking. Players tell you precisely what they do in the room, you tell them precisely what happens as a result, maybe a roll here or there to see something ahead of time.

I personally don't use traps unless we're in a place where an enemy might actually set traps, which cuts down on my need to deal with them.

You know, after DMing a campaign or two I think one may be entitled to a DMPC, even if it just to see how disruptive it becomes for your group

Write down their Perception modifiers, roll behind the screen for them. Same goes for Stealth and Insight.

>In addition, requiring the class to have a shield for decent AC interferes with the spellsword feel.
>He doesn't flavour his shield as an arcane device or energy
Maybe a game using your imagination isn't for you.

The main reason it's a problem is that you don't have a hand free for somatic components, assuming you're also keeping a weapon out to take advantage of your Aegis.

Just say passive perception only works on traps that can be detected without interaction. For example you could see a tripwire, or grooves on the ground from crushing walls, but if a pressure plate is flush with the floor then you wouldn't find it until you either actively looked for it or you, say, poked it with a 10ft pole. And sometimes there's something obvious there that might or might not be a trap, like holes in the wall that could be dart traps or just simple ventilation. If they get too antsy with active rolls tell them what I tell my players: you can use judgement and make educated guesses as to when to roll, or you can be a little shit and roll every room but the second you get below your passive perception you have to keep it for the rest of the dungeon.

>Moving the goalpoast

That's the whole point of passive perception/Investigation: noticing what's going on around you, even if it's being sneaky. If they're moving slowly, the rogue can rightfully be checking for traps with a passive check. If he trained in it, he should be pretty capable. If they're moving at a normal or fast pace, they can't keep checking (without disadvantage).

let them maybe!bomb rolls on a chest, which they inspect specifically. or chase them through a hallway with a large, terrifying monster, or an indiana jones boulder, if you absolutely MUST do trap damage to the party. sadist.

So what's the consensus on that Blood hunter class thing?

Ask your DM for an Arcane Focus that doubles as a shield. You can use the same hand that uses your arcane focus with somatic components.

Oh no..... It's almost like there's a feat for that.

Veeky Forums answer: It's homebrew so it's shit

Real answer: I'll reserve judgement until I see it in action.

I don't know yet, I have never seen one in play longer than 2 sessions. The new campaign of Critical Role has a Blood Hunter in it so that should be a good standing point to see what it can do.

More worldbuilding, but... Any suggestions for non-conventional cultures for D&D?

Rohan, for example, is a land-based Viking civilization.

Would you let the stone sorceror use its teleport strike on someone that struck it, provided that it gave itself the aegis?

Solid, but has too much of 'Big risks - big rewards' mechanics Mercer likes so much. Kinda different from a general 5e feel.

Sure, it's moving the "goalpoast"; why wouldn't I when the rogue is claiming a 100% success rate? I want to create variety, not monotony.
Today I actually had him fall off a broken bridge.
He specifically checked for traps, not broken bridge slats...

If anyone can break it, Taliesin can. Problem is, he'll know when he's breaking it and will rein things in.

I have to say, I really have to give props to him with that stuff and metagaming. I wish more players would actively do that, fully admit "no wait I wouldn't know that nevermind, continue".

He does have a point, the fact that his players insist on using passive wisdom makes his trap DCs either willfully evade or willfully meet the Rogue's total. He might as well not use traps as that point.

Which wouldn't be the worst idea,
imo.

Dim light disadvantages perception checks
Disadvantage on perception gives -5 to passive perception.

One of my players played it a bit over a year ago. I didn't really care for it, personally. I think it's too narrow of a focus to justify being its own class, especially because it's so similar in mechanics and flavor to Rangers. I think it would have been better served as a handful of Ranger archetypes rather than its own class. The idea of a supernatural monster hunter is something Ranger already does, and it's also able to be a plethora of other things with no problem. Blood Hunter is too restricted in its flavor, and the archetypes only get more narrow.

As far as mechanics, I think it's kind of out of place in 5e. It's certainly unique compared to other classes, but its uniqueness comes from something that really isn't present in any other classes. Most of its strongest features rely on giving yourself penalties, which isn't exactly a common thing in this edition. The only other big example I can think of that's used often is Barbarian's Reckless Attack, which is mostly a means of manipulating the edition's primary modifier feature (advantage/disadvantage) rather than actual stat boosts.

Overall, I think it's decently designed. It's not ridiculously strong, but it's a really powerful glass cannon because of how its trade-offs work. I don't care for it that much, personally. It's more balanced than some official classes (and the semi-official class that is Mystic), but I think it should have been a Ranger archetype.

DO NOT DO THIS! Seriously, I'm speaking out of personal experience when I tell you that going "but you didn't specifically say X" is one of the most cancerous things you can do to your game.
Why does every trap have to have DC 15? Why don't they vary? What sort of campaign are you even playing? Maybe we can give some specific advice with more context?

Now if only he didn't take 5 fucking years every turn.

Lost mines has traps at DC15.
He rolled a 7 while checking the entrance to the bridge for traps, then walked over it.

So lemme get this straight
Mercer used to use Veeky Forums
Probably still does
We will never know because if it comes out G&S will drop him because it's run by a fake geek SJW.

>I check for A
>You are affected by B
>I check for A and B
>You are affected by C
>I check for A, B and C
>You are affected by D

And so on, you just drag the game out with minutiae.

Yeah, quite possibly. He won't be a frequent user, but I am almost sure he looks through Veeky Forums every once in a while.

There's an easy way for him to let us know without making it obvious.

Gunsmith Artificer at least works perfectly fine, it's just incredibly boring.

Technically you aren't supposed to be able to roll lower than your PP

>Getting fired for visiting a Turkish cross-stitching board
Wew lad

>fake geek SJW.
I want to do dirty things to Felicia and I have no qualms about this.

Keep your salt stick in your skinny jeans boyo.

On sunday, I introduce my players to kobold vietnam.

Where does it say that?

I don't think I've ever actually worn skinny jeans in my life.

I've been cycling the same three pairs of work jeans since I was in high school in '92.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/james-haeck-dd-writing
sage advice section

Thinking about making a Goblin Eldritch Knight. Should I go Dex melee or archer?

Should I MC and take some Wizard levels?

Yeah, ideally you would multiclass for 20 levels of wizard.

Why is the hand crossbow "light" when you can only use two-weapon fighting with melee weapons?

pg. 195

>I can't play 3 weeks in a row after only ever missing 1 session ever
>DM decides to not have sessions because of it
>Now no one is playing because of me

I feel bad for my party, anons

It means you can shoot it with only 1 hand

No, that's what not having the two-handed property means.

I usually hate homebrew and don't use it on principle, and that's clearly just magic Iron Man, but goddamn is it cool. Both the armor and the gun one. I love upgrade/customization systems like that, part of why I love Warlock, too.

Flavor text, mostly

It has no implication. I suspect it's a vestige from an old design, before the current form of two-weapon fighting.

no, weapons are assumed to be one-handed unless they have the "two-handed" property

They're planeswalkers, they all end up on a plane where something bad's happening. They team up to stop it.

Agreed! Though I'm much more lenient on homebrew, its a game about Power Fantasys most of the time, what's wrong with getting closer to that with Homebrew?

Also man I really hope the final Artificer has something like that, the upgrade system works really well for a crafter/inventer. You don't even need the Magic Iron Man.

matt mercer browsed Veeky Forums?

whats the proof

dafuq? can't you just think of a reason for your character to AFK for a bit?

Had an idea for a new base class, and was wondering about one of their main mechanics. The class is basically a fighter/alchemist type thing, based very loosely off the Witcher concept. One of their mechanics is called "Mutation", and it basically allows the Alchemist to adapt their body in various permanent ways using mutagens. You would get about 5 of these by 18th level, with the ability to reaction-add one more temporarily as the capstone.

Just looking for feedback on the concept. At the moment I have:
>Darkvision
Gain darkvision or increase darkvision if you already got it
>Arcane sight
Eldritch sight
>Poison resistance
As Dwarves
>Trance
4 hour meditation in lieu of sleep
>Fey ancestry
Can't sleep, adv vs charm
>Natural weapons
Get claws or a bit
>Extra limbs
Can't attack, but can hold more shit at once
>Hidden pocket
Skin flap to hide things behind
>Leaping
Jump at will
>Venom
Add poison damage to melee 1/rest
>Biological redundancy
Auto-succeed first Death Save of the day
>Endurance
Auto-stabilize at 1 hp unless killed outright 1/long rest
>Elemental shell
Gain resistance to 1 damage type
>Breath weapon
1/long rest breath weapon like dragonborn
>Mighty grip
Reverse versatility (wield two-handed weapon in one hand, one dice level lower)
>Giant strength
Adv to athletics/ double carry weight
>Snake’s grace
Adv to acrobatics/ fit in spaces for small or tiny races
>Spell storage
Gain 1 first level spell slot, can only pick from small list of spells (probably just some evocation or enchantment)

Is this enough for a class feature? Is it too much? It's the one variable feature the class gets, to cut down on the versatility or mechanics overload, but is it too much anyway? Not enough?

twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/953571726037737472

We just TPK'd and we only had 1 session with our new characters, also I'm literally the only source of healing/CC on the party, so they would die really easily.

Literally Blood Hunter Order of the Mutant.

Mercer is a gigantic Witcher dork.

>implying you can't play 5e without a healer
Potions of Healing are a common adventuring item. Ignore to your detriment.

That doesn't help me.

Best classes to play as a gobbo?

>filename
I don't think so. Why would he need to talk about D&D here when he's personally and professionally connected to a lot of different professional designers elsewhere?

An archetype that coifs a class resource to nab racial features for half an hour? That doesn't sound bad at all.
Although I think it might work as a subclass. What other features would it have outside of mutagens? And what HD were you thinking?

...Also, is the name Mutagenist taken by other known homebrew already? That could work.

A full class that could do this seems a bit much, maybe a subclass for the fighter or Artificer?

>I'm speaking out of personal experience when I tell you that going "but you didn't specifically say X" is one of the most cancerous things you can do to your game.
God do I hate this. I've had sessions where it felt like we were playing fucking simon says with the DM.
>You have this thing latched onto you
>I'll take a look and see how bad it is (expecting a medicine check)
>It looks like it's latched onto you.
>I pull it off.
>you take (absurd damage)
>...would I not have noticed that it was dug in that deep?
>you didn't do a check
> ...

They probably intended for it be a dual fighting weapon at some and then dropped it for some inane reason. There's stuff like that all over 5e imo.

It is wrong Matt. Fuck you for your shitty meme show that gives players bad ideas.
Honestly though I don't know if it's his fault. From what little I've seen of CR it's the players I really hate.

>players are having fun and roleplaying

>YOURE DOING IT WRONG

??????????

I'm pretty fine with everyone but Marisha, and Sam and Travis are pretty cool dudes
Fuck Marisha man...

I didn't really hate Marisha until the Kraken episode.

Holy FUCK she kept forgetting what was going on. Even Laura was getting annoyed at her.

Ever had a Sneak Attack or Booming Blade bounced back?

No what it does is lock players into a box that you have to break. A 'funny' box where the game is all about silly voices and monstrous player races.
Games should not be model after CR and player's coming in with that mindset are generally a detriment since they've consumed so much of just ONE type of D&D campaign. To this day the best D&D game I've been in was text based. The memers who watch CR religiously probably have trouble even visualizing how a game like it would be fun.