WIP: Work In Progress Thread

First time making the thread edition edition.

>WIP Secret Santa unboxings
imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>WIP Secret Santa Poll:
strawpoll.me/14692516

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B075HRXC7X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7B4HDYPXOMWQ&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=hRR7W5-F15c
youtube.com/watch?v=WE5jw620c78
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ACTUAL PREVIOUS THREAD I FUCK IT UP I FUCKED IT ALL UP IM SORRY WIP.

Repostin'

Since idle hands do the devil's work, I've been working on some scatter terrain vehicles between painting projects. On the left is a fork lift take on the the out of print powerlifter sentinel. Center stage is a cargo grav sled. And on the right is an attempt at a Kettenkrad.

the one on the right could be converted to a decent ork boy wagon.

Should be decent with some rivets.
also do this.

Does anyone have a suggested strength magnet for magnetizing my bases? I've got some dreadnoughts 'n some noise marines I wish to store in an ammo can. Is magnetic tape the way to go? the infantry is 32mm

5mm modeling magnets on amazon.

>5mm modeling magnet
Nothing was showing up.
Would these work?
amazon.com/gp/product/B075HRXC7X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7B4HDYPXOMWQ&psc=1

Post yourdudes and critique others

yes, exactly.

needs highlighting, but looks good.

Please /wip/, help me out
Where can I get me that gunner model in this pic here
And also what other cool "Peaking out of the top tank hatch" models is there?

Nice my dude. Everything but the white looks nice and clean so far.

probably the leman russ accessory kit

You can get other tank commanders from FW.
You could also look into istoricals.
Though converting one shouldn't be hard either.

Probably baneblade kit

Nice flat olives you got, but the white needs to be cleaned up. The plasma blue details could do with more pop too

I like the highlights on the black and the blend on the weapons, the red is neat too but could do with some highlighting. Good clean job though!

>Rate my Flyrant WIP, please!

Highlight copy copy
Thanks will work on. Also wtc sick fire effects
Tips on cleaning up White? Masking Tape?
Akira tentacles soon?

>tips on doing clean whites on dark undercoat

youtube.com/watch?v=hRR7W5-F15c

it really works!

How do I achieve the mottled blue look like on his right thigh? (our left, no not the lightning part) Sponging?

Very WIP test model for my Maggotkin. Decided to challenge myself to paint Nurgle without using green in the colour scheme.

At this stage I'm really just checking that my choices for the predominant colours - the armour and the skin - work together before I get down to gribbly business of the exposed guts and open wounds.

Terrible photo, the light was going and I don't have a proper setup, but it gets the point across.

Does anyone have MKA studios or Matt Kane tutorials? He took them down off his blog a few years ago and I can’t find them in archives.

The painting itch got me and I spent the last 2+ hours painting on some Imperial Guard.

Ogryn are the best units, fluff-wise. I'm gonna name the vanilla ones Gav and Bob.

Turox prime kit

Look into blending
If your not already using a wet pallet that can help too, your gonna want to gradually build up your base color to a white with a bunch of lighter blues in between

Got the squishy bit of the snail done, on to the shell next.
At the moment i'm thinking either terracotta or dark green, any other suggestions?

Reddish brown with a slow transition to Bright red and orange highlights.

Terracotta or what said.

Green is too similar to blue, it'll kinda blend into the squishy bits unless it's a bright fuckin' neon green.

Thanks man. I want to say part of it is my shitty camera and lighting darkening everything overall, but I will for sure work on highlighting a bit starker.
WIP on my librarian. I'm not happy with some of the thicker areas, but from six or so inches away I'm happy with how it looks so far.

Snowed in today so I sat down and painted my shadespire crew.

[dooting intensifies]

6 hours straight on this guy.

Oh that looks lovely, what helmet?

You should had more depth to the hairs:
- Get some shades in the recesses (agrax for exemple).
- Put some of the orange back on all of the hairs
- Put some light orange on spot light would hit.

why cant i do yellow anons?

spellcrow, Salamandra/Dragon Knight helmets for termies. There's two of that type in it. The others are here:
There's then total. You can find them on amazon too if that's easier to order.

yellow is definitely one of the trickier colours to paint but in general you need to thin your paints more and then do more layers

Yellow takes time/patience.

Follow Duncan's advice: youtube.com/watch?v=WE5jw620c78

I was working the axe last and hit the hair with some silver I was correcting it but I was just tired.

I will however do your last suggestion and hit the spot light would hit. That was my first model after a long time.

Really like the armor, how'd you do it?

It's the 'Farsight Enclaves' armour from the Citadel paint app (which I recommend).

- Khorne Red base
- Nuln Oil wash
- Wazdakka Red highlight
- Squig Orange highlight

I did the last two steps as drybrushes, mostly for time. One of my goals with the Maggotkin is to actually paint them as I get them, and I'm typically a very slow painter.

Advice please lads.

Main colour of my dudes is mephiston red. Should I just spray them in it to get the base coat done and then wash / highlight? Or should I spray in black, then base coat mephiston red?

The shoulders And helmets will be gold, if that helps.

Any airbrush wizards here that could help me? My airbrush apperently keeps getting cloged up because after awhile it stops spraying paint and instead it spurts out a little paint somewhere in middle of the trigger.

I'm just starting to do airbrushing so I dont have that many airbrush colors yet. I'm trying to use normal acrylic colors by thinning them a bit over 50/50 relation. Do I need to thin paints even more?

It is fine when I clean and spray isopropanol with it, but the minute I put paint in it it starts to throw a shizzfit.

what do you guys think of my chariot?

What's in that mug?
Is it a pint of Lahmian?
Are his powers drawn from a realm beyond this mortal plane?
No thinned paint in the world covers like that when you put a thin light grey over black.

This might be the only time it's ever said in a WIP thread...
We need a bigger photo.
Bit of fridge wouldn't hurt either.

for some reason the resolution of every photo i take of this thing is too low
might fix it later

A bit flat yes, and white is hard. I didn't even try for white for months after starting. Yellow is just as bad.

Posted this health warrior a week ago. Noone said much then, and I haven't had the time to paint since, so might as well repost it.
Tried working with a very limited palette, but I'm not entirely sure if I like the result

i'd love to play against something this nicely painted. well done my dude
my phone takes 1920x1080 rez photos when i hold it landscape, and 480x620 vertical. try that

Good looking lads. Also +1 for highlights.

Some forever wip of my guardsdudes

The models need some highlights and shade, user. Also, try clening up the red and white shoulderpads a bit, they're pretty see-through.

I really like the color scheme though.

My Wip on some Bretonnian Archers.
Also somebody tell me what colors I should use for my next Bretonnian Knight

Certifiably fukin sexy boi.

How would you grand Anons achieve this with citadel paints?

I'm trying to paint feathers on the kingdom death Phoenix, and want to do red and gold.

Maybe put in blends to Orange if I'm feeling fancy.

Which color should I base with and which should I wash/drybrush with?

Using citadel paints, how would you get this colour

Why would you want to paint something shit brown?

Thanks for the insight user! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come by and help.

I dunno what the paint is called nowadays, but citadel had a paint called Snakebite Leather, mix 3:1 Snakebite leather, Ushabti bone and after basecoating wash with agrax and highlight with straight up snakebite.

Could work I think.

Just eyeballing it but I guess the modern equivalent of snakebite would be tallarn sand.
The vallejo game color equivalent would be leather brown.

Leadbelcher with a coating of nuln oil and casandora yellow.

Spray red, spend less time base coating and more time painting details.

Chaos black->Leadbelcher base->Cassandora shade->Thinned nuln oil shade (or gloss)

Coat d'Arms still sell Snakebite Leather (They used to make the Citadel paint line).

>Gary the Chaos Snail

you're adorable

I like the green on red but some highlights would defs take this scheme up a notch

Postan the bloat drone now all strapped and gatted up. Base is gonna get some dead plants from the garden once I can figure out a PVA mix to seal them that doesn't obscure details but still adds enough strength to keep them from disintegrating in my case during transport

thanks good anons, i'll have to give that a go on a tester. I was also thinking some sort of yellow wash over silver but wasn't super confident in my thoughts so thanks!

Actually thinking about it, should the yellow also be thinned a bit? It covers really well and quite vibrant iirc.

Just finished my roman fascist dred

[DEUS VULT intensifies to a fever pitch]

The text a decal? Looks tight

Yeah and so are the arrows around the fasces. Both from the custodes transfer sheet. 15 bucks but a lot of really cool stuff on there.

Finally finished my last 2 guys. My hellblasters are complete. Think i'm gonna stick with just doing 5 man squads now because 10 seems so fucking daunting to me. I think I'll do two tac squads next then a squad of noise marines and then a primaris dread.

très bien mon ami, Très Bien

I really like these. Makes me want to do Chaos-y Primaris. But I know I'd start and never finish lime many GW projects

sexy steelwork really punches against the red (awesome mini also).

could probably do with a wash of some kind on the steel surfaces to dull the drybrushing slightly?

are these count-as noise marines or just reskinning loyalist forces?

pink marines get my juices flowing

a/s/l?

cringe

Thats a really nice pink. Very clean.

Thanks man. I kinda like the drybrushed look, personally, it makes it look a bit more beat up imo. Here’s how it looks on some guys

Poop

I need some help with my Fiend of Slaanesh conversion project.

I know what I want to use to make my heads and my tails but can't find any fitting kits to make the body. I was thing maybe the huge boars mount from the AOS Orcs line but I feel like it's too much green stuff work. Any ideas ?

Gotta give us your idea, a red table with an anus on one end and a tail on the other isn’t much

Maybe a Seraphon cold one body? Or a dragon ogre body would prolly work well

Basically, I will use the kharybdiss heads (the anus one) as the upper body and head part and the flail bits from the maulerfiend kit to make the tails.

What I need is a kit to make the main body and legs (masterfully drawn in red here).

Dragon ogres seem to be a great choice, a bit expensive tho, maybe I'll try dark elves colde ones instead.

It’s chaos bruh, is the body fat Muscular? Skinny? Malformed?

How big do you want? Is this a monstrous critter the size of a tyranid tyrant? A spawn?

How to convert Hobgoblins? Any ideas for good methods? I’d like to get more of the realistic kinda look they have from Blood Bowl 2 where they look almost human but just enough goblin features to work.

Been working on some battle sistas / acolytes for a friend's Undercover Brother based Inquisitor

And two more. A rogue trader and Inquisitor Antonius Jackson's personal Valyrie pilot "sky Muffin". The valkrie is called the "Spread Eagle"

Whta did you use for the snow?

the new thingy from GW?

Bumping this question

Nubeast of Nurgle size, muscular and somewhat skinny, certainly not fat

Seen some good results with goblin heads on stormvermin bodies.

I've been working on this guy, hes got a few spikes of bone sticking out of him but im not sure if I want to paint them bone coloured as they might stand out too much any, i was thinking of trying either dark brown or grey, any ideas?

What colour should I make the interior walls of my GK land raider? I'm not sure wether I want them white, ivory-ish, metal or something completely different. I'm probably putting in white LED's so you can atleast see the details in proper color.

How bad is my space wolf? Any advice?

Fuck whoops

Keep the red, it's more atmospheric.

Better photography
The moldline down the chainsword is apparent
You could probably do for some edge highlights on the legs

what about the northstar goblins?

Or any kind of 28mm human with a gretchin or gnoblar head might work. Those are a bit smaller than the regular goblin heads and wouldn't look too out of place on a human body.

Voodooworx Sells a couple of character models but I'm not sure they fir the bill.

Spray, then go over in a thin coat of mephiston red to ensure uniformity.