That Guy

Do we still do these threads? I haven't been here in many moons but boy do I have a story for you fa/tg/uys.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4
gonewild.co/52837/purr-blind-mini-dump/
vimeopro.com/somesucharchive/mark-romanek-12-02-15/video/95947494
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, go!

>that guy who starts a thread so he can post his own story and doesn't even put it in the op

Consider me intrigued

So, a few of my friends wanted said they wanted to play D&D and a couple of them had played a couple sessions in the past and the others didn't have much experience with it outside of things like Community and Harmonquest.

I've hidden my power level pretty well and I don't think any of them know that I've been an acid roleplayer for a few years so I get the group together for a session 0 to plan things out.

At this point we haven't decided on a system or anything but I had just picked up a copy of Genesys and I'd played EoTE in the past so I was eager to give it a shot. I'v got my own Scifi settting that we're going to be running it in so we get started making characters and such and this is where I fucked up.

I wanted them to have fun because for a lot of them it was their first time roleplaying outside of a video game so people were coming to me for help making characters so I make a few custom classes with people and everything is going well.

One of them wants to play a stealth character

>okay

That is a sentient shadow

>Wat

With psychic powers

At this point I'm trying to figure out if he's kidding because he's one of the guys that had played in the past but he's not. He has an edgy angst filled anime backstory and he's very insistent that this is what he wants.

I agreed mostly because I want to see how badly this goes.

Now, the powers I'd used weren't anything over the top just reskinned magic from Genesys nothing too crazy but I'm talking with him in Discord one day and he tells me that he figured something out today...

>go on

Since I have psychic powers I can throw Lettuce McClain(an 8 fot tall sentient tortoise PC) at people right?

At this point I think I've created a monster and I don't know what to do. Our first session is Saturday and just yesterday one of my other players told me that he was a problem in the last game they were in.

I'm mostly just hoping that he's not too overpowered and outshines the other characters but I'm pretty sure he thinks this is just like Mass Effect and he's the main character.

well since the first session hasn't happened yet just talk to him about your concerns with what he said
otherwise, see how the first few sessions go and don't worry about kicking him out if he rubs you the wrong way
it's not that hard

>At this point I'm trying to figure out if he's kidding because he's one of the guys that had played in the past but he's not. He has an edgy angst filled anime backstory and he's very insistent that this is what he wants.
>I agreed mostly because I want to see how >badly this goes.

First mistake

>Playing reskinned Deathwatch during Horus Heresy

>Assaulting fortress world

>Due to shenanigans crusade forces begin fighting one another

>Enemy mole people burst out of the ground

>One shoots unarmored apothecary

>Critical hit

>Has plenty of fate point

>REEEE's and leaves the Discord server never to be heard from again

I know. It's harder just because he's a friend IRL . It would honestly be much easier for me if he was a stranger because if he decides to get pissy about and I have to kick I don't know how that would go and I'd hate to kill the group before we even start.

That GM

Playing EoTE

>Start off in Mos Eisley because why not

>Owe favor to local crime lord

>We decide to kill him and take his stuff instead

>Rally mob of angry townspeople thanks to dice gods

>Attack fortress and steal all ships and vehicles

>Sell for stupid amount of credits

>100,000 each

>Decide to take out big crime boss on his flagship

>Crime boss is defended by GMPC rogue jedi knight

>Hope he can fly

>infiltrate ship and set charges on hyperdrive

>ship goes boom

>Jedi is the only survivor

>find him in the wreckage without a scratch

>blow him up with grenades

>GM ends the session and never comes back

sounds like you murderhoboed (IN SPACE) and the DM didn't want to play with you anymore.

i had a whole party of that guys once in a very similar situation as you. most of them got better in later campaigns after they got all the edge out of their system. might not save your upcoming session but i wouldn't burn any bridges if they're good people otherwise.

Maybe.

When I say we owed the Hutt obligation what I really mean is that he wanted us to play him 10,000 credits and do work for the empire when we were all Rebel sympathizers.

The GM also told us that we needed to do stuff to get noticed by the Rebellion so we thought killing a major supporter of the Empire would help speed that along.

Yeah I think inexperience on my part since I haven't GMed much before and on their part is mostly to blame.

How did you handle it if you don't mind me asking? I've set up a sandbox universe for them to play in so I'm not really worried about going off the rails since their really aren't any. I'm more worried about the other characters just getting outshined.

>That Guy starts as That GM
>picks on one player in particular
>like "kills the guy's PC in one shot to establish powerful NPC, then resurrects him in a way that was described as excrutiatingly painful"
>other NPCs are all always rude to the character
>also "bad luck" tends to happen to the character a lot
>he thinks this is all in good fun
>also he did shit like shoehorning in a "joke" NPC that was immortal and very annoying but that's besides the point
>eventually his campaign ends (we all win forever and turn into gods after not even fighting the BBEG despite it starting as a low power campaign)
>I run the next game
>he continues to pick on the same guy's character "in good fun"
>gets another player to join him
>hitting the character for minor amounts of lethal damage out of combat, berating, telling bad rumors about the character to NPCs, etc.
>actively making this player (who is new to ttrpgs) feel like his character is a joke
>it was my first time GMing and I was also new to the group so I didn't know how to handle it
>decide to try to make it up to the guy and tie in the Mcguffin with his backstory
>player's character falls unconscious after retrieving said Mcguffin
>That Guy: "LOL I stab him like 20 times and then slit his throat"
>his partner in crime tries to do it too
>Having had enough of his shit, I just kill both their characters with bullshit Mcguffin powers and tell them to reroll
>they don't come back next session
That Guy left a dry-erase hexcrawl/grid mat behind when he left that night, and we never gave enough of a shit to return it. I'm fairly certain he tried to get it back at one point, but if he did the host of the game must have told him to fuck off or else.
Thanks for the mat, Sheldon. Hope you're less of a prick now.

a friend of mine was a that DM once but it was more from lack of experience then actual dickheadery.

>first session, we arrive on cthulu island (dnd 4e btw he just has a hard on for lovecraftian horrors)
>done exposition about the island, includes a giant statue in the middle of town that is missing a head
>townsfolk tell us is a statue of their godking. the way he describes it makes it clear it's DMs old PC that died in a TPK
>whole party rolls their eyes
>later the DM describes a shop that has almost everything
>noted
>we do a quest for a tiefling (DMs favorite race) that lives in a club/rave house that involves getting unicorn blood
>says as a reward he will give us anything within his power
>most pcs choose weapons of some sort
>i choose a bust of my PC
>plot turns into "grab mcgufgin to revive godking DMPC from statue state to save everyone from existential horror"
>party feeling pretty much like "dmpc & friends"
>i go to the store with everything and buy the strongest glue known to man
>glue my bust to the statues head
>he makes my bust explode

nofun.jpg

in that case nah your DM established that causing a ruckus might help the story along. probably just got mad his dmpc died.

Oh yeah. This is a syopsis of the 1st and 2nd session

>I agreed mostly because I want to see how badly this goes.
You are that guy

terribly. i was a first time dm and wasn't even aware that this kind of power fantasy stuff didn't just cone with the territory. i did force a few rewinds when they went particularly far and we were all already the kind of passive aggressive cunts that wouldn't confront one another for being a dick so most of our sessions plodded along. for example
>very first scene, in a tavern
>tiefling champion starts his first action by spilling his drink on a passerby, lights a cigar and flips all the tables
>dwarf rogue insults the barkeep then rolls to steal the "distracted" tieflings gold
>human ranger just watches
>players argue and dickwave irl
>start a PC V PC fight that i have to end

didn't even leave the first area. but with the benefit of experience i find that approaching your players with complete honesty about how you feel and your concerns goes a long long way. be reasonable and act professionally and keep in mind that in the end it's supposed to be fun for everyone and a GROUP activity.

Dm sounds trash. You did the right thing

>Since I have psychic powers I can throw Lettuce McClain(an 8 fot tall sentient tortoise PC) at people right?

So the crime is that...he's using teamwork via the fastball special? I dunno about Genesys but in some systems like Mutants and Masterminds he'd just be using a Team Attack manuever.

It's more the edgy back story and the general vibe i'm getting about the character that has me irked than the flying turtle.

That one I'm just more worried about how to balance it in combat, I don't really have a problem with it.

Brilliant

>Friend wants to try DM'ing
>Sure, why not
>We're aborted a few campaigns in the last few months for various reasons, and none of us want to start from level 1
>Ask DM if we can start from a high level
>"Sure"
>Nothing else
>What level?
>"I don't know. You pick"
>We decide as a group in a groupchat that level 5 is a nice place to start
>Send him a message saying that we're gonna make our doodz level 5
>Campaign starts, we have 5 players including myself
>4 of which are fucking casters or hybrids
>I'm the only warrior
>One is just a hanger on who doesn't actually do anything though, so it shouldn't be too tough to deal with
>Party is told they're exploring an ancient temple
>No lead up, we just get told we were hired to do this by the NPC and that's that
>We're meant to guard him while he does his thang
>K. Whatever
>Suddenly we're attacked! There are three and they're tough! An NPC ghost who randomly appeared urges us to run and hole up in a nearby abandoned fort!
>Except...these guys don't seem too tough
>Casters begin to discuss running, but I point out we have almost twice their numbers
>They're bandits, according to GM shoddily armed and not all that
>One of the casters and I stand our ground while the others retreat
>We actually do pretty well; don't let them flank us, make sure to let caster cast
>Another of the casters joins in and we're about the finish the final bandit, when 5 more appear!
>Other casters join in, and we're holding this fucking temple for this NPC like we were instructed
>We just keep killing them and they keep coming
>Dm had mentioned there woul be a holdout scenario so we assumed this was it
>DM is getting progressively more angry, throwing hordes of low level bandits and shit at us
>We run out of time on the session
>"Ok, the bandits overwhelm you and you run to the abandoned fort"
>What the fuck? No, fuck you, we were winning!
>None of us want to retreat. We were doing pretty well

1/2

>"No, your characters see the overwhelming odds and decide to flee to the fort"
>What? An abandoned fort? How is that better than an abandoned temple?
>"It just is OK! Stop questioning the game!"
>"You were meant to be overrun and have to retreat! But you all made your characters too strong and broke the game!"

Suffice to say we didn't play with that guy DM'ing anymore. I get what he was trying to do, but it was a complete fucking railroad, and the way he tried to do it was clumsy. He hadn't read any of our messages and assumed we'd be all level 2 or 3 for some reason. But even then, the CR ratio was stupidly low. The bandits who were meant to chase us out were at best a low level encounter for a party this size.

That Guy was a really frustrating player to deal with for a few reasons, but this was why we don't let him DM anymore.

seemed unprepared and uninterested in actually dming

I hate rollplay GMs.
>Makes you roll for everything.
>Guards don't tell you to surrender, bandits don't demand your coinpurse, they just auto-attack you with letal weapons.
>Punishing the players who roleplay the most because of the stuff they do in character, and rewarding the players who just rollplay.
>Always rolls on the random encounter table for everything.
>Hardcore rules lawyer who discourages creative tactics and plans.

We had this GM for a while but after the campaign was going well for a while she started railroading us super hard, because we wanted to explore more around the world, instead of going straight for the 8 session slogfest dungeons she made. this is the worst of it.

>playing princes of the apocalypse
>go to earth cult first and whoop their asses
>we get the gloves that let us dig through stone
>idea.jpg
>carve around the magic door and head off to the fire cult
>"we wish to make a deal, help us take out the earth cult and we will help you with the water cult"
>fire cult agrees and we attack the earth cult, get into the fight with Marlos
>fire cult does shit all until they bring out their orb of destruction
>set it off and leave us for dead after "fighting bravely around you"
>stone walls melt around us, we have 3 turns to leg it or we're fucked
>we GTFO, 1 character is dead, another is stone
>massive crater where the earth cult used to be
>fast forward a few sessions
>we hear about a stolen orb of destruction, from the fire cult
>we go to steel that shit and hide it away
>end up getting trapped in a temple to Lolth
>to get out I have to single combat my way out of the temple
>now a level 7 bard so cheese the fight with greater invis
>win the fight but forced to become a servant of Lolth
>don't care, got the orb.

1/2

>set off to assault the water cult
>steal a ship
>cleric casts control water underneath the ship, sending it over the chain of the castle as we set off the orb and leg it
>swim off to shore
>"15 minutes later you see a small explosion come from the castle"
>we sneak around the other side of the castle and get ready to attack.
>push through, no damage on this side, tons of guards, way more than beds
>get into several fights as go around to look at the destruction
>"the walls have a light coating of soot and one of the boats has been destroyed"
>WhatTheFuck.png
>no casualties whatsoever, get into a 2 session (5 hours a session) for A SINGLE COMBAT

we eventually got through that slog of a fight, I got super pissed that all of that planning, effort and my character getting turned into a spider worshiping dumbass (I was playing a half-orc bard), was all worth nothing. I didnt end up coming back after all that shit, had to move away not long after so it didn't matter too much.

>angst filled anime backstory
What kind of anime? OPM, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Overlord, Stein's Gate, Haruhi, HxH or perhaps maybe Berserk?

You did good, anti-bullying ranger user.

Only one of his kind, dark and mysterious past, evils of the world and monster within cliche.

>user stops bullying at his table

good work

You know exactly what kind.

I have absolutely no idea what that story was about or how it was in any way relevant.

Basically, they were planning on assaulting a castle, and did a whole sidequest to get a big bomb, and when they blew up the bomb, it did nothing except alert all the enemies that they're under attack and destroy one of their own ships.

Why would a GM put you through an entire sidequest and have it amount to affecting nothing?

you are that GM I hope you realize

And so it begins.

she said she just wanted us to have a massive castle fight against Garr, by taking our hard work and perverting my player character.

I would've done the same.

>So, a few of my friends wanted said they wanted to play D&D and a couple of them had played a couple sessions in the past and the others didn't have much experience with it outside of things like Community and Harmonquest.
youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4

>no one in the party rolls a tank so I have to trash my necromancer in favor of a legacy paladin
>warn the party that this character is a notorious LN/LE hardass who has killed players that go against his code
>lay out the code in no uncertain terms so they know what they're dealing with
>stress that there are plenty of ways to work around this asshole, and provide examples of how past parties have dealt with him
>Gnome Artificer belatedly reveals to the GM (in session 1) that he sold the recipe to Alchemist's Fire to literally fucking everyone, including heretics
>GM call bullshit, shuts him down
>Gnome continues talking about it IC for some reason
>if my character had overheard any of this, he would have cause to execute him
>OoC inform the Gnome of this
>Gnome keeps IC talking about it, and about all his other arsonist shenanigans
>several sessions later, my character had organized a successful crusade, gotten most of the skin burnt off his body by one of the Gnome's firebombs, and converted the Rogue into his squire
>the party has mostly figured out how to deal with him
>we encounter a human-Alhoon hybrid that happens to be a saint from my character's religion
>he'll become my Warlock Patron and tell me where the One True Cross(bow) is if I sacrifice the party bard (who had to drop the campaign)
>OoC joke about how my character is going to use the relic to conquer the Gnome Artificer's homeland on yet another crusade
>Gnome Artificer OoC starts plotting to kill my character
>finally has a chance where he could feasibly get away with it by abandoning me with the Alhoon, but has no real IC justification to do so
>he's an absolutely terrible decision maker and bailed on one of my campaigns when he had to talk the party out of being arrested by Not!BestKorean state police
>sperglord is so torn up about this that he's started ghosting us and keeps postponing the next session
>all of this after he complains that my character is too involved in the storyline

>no one wanted to play an MMO concept that doesn't translate well to most tabletop so I changed my character into a concept specifically designed to be unfun and even actively lethally antagonistic to certain people without asking them if it was cool, then dictated my approved list of ways they could roleplay for me not to kill them
Come on, dude.

>57498545
>an MMO concept
I know this is bait, but what really bugs me is that there are people who actually don't know mmos pulled all their terminology and basic modus operandi from pnp games of the 80s.

Kill yourself, please

Both the party and the GM asked me to play tank after the Gnome dropped his Barbarian to roll up an artificer when we already had two casters. I decided to oblige, since I already had the character statted out, and the GM designed the code for me. Seriously, is it really so much to ask that players not kill, steal, blaspheme, or rape around the paladin? My rules were literally "either ask first or don't get caught," and I would always let people diplo their way out if they could provide an IC justification for it. "I burgled the mansion to win the trust of the Orks and give you intel on how to raid their sewer fortress," or "We knocked over a shop to get the Gnome ingredients on how to make bombs for breaking the siege."

ITT: I'm playing combat centric games with sperg players who dont get kicked after the first session and not enjoying myself

Oh wow.. Truly an asshole in that tale..

>tfw you discover you were That guy
>tfw responsible for the group breaking apart
>now it's too late to get my group together
>they don't even accept when i tell them i will be narrating, despite aknowledging my ideas are good
What.. what can i do? they clearly want to play. Just not with me.

What did you do, user?

Dont be a retard
First session dont participate as much to feel out how much of a retard you can be
Tone it down if its too much
Ask them ooc after a session if they think you did okay

that guy thread? okay.

>join a new group seemingly okayish folks for 3.5finder
>they all want me to be a cleric becuase party has no healer
>I warn them that healing is janked, and cleric's are glorified fighters with holy magic
>they don't seem to know or care; whatever
>games are kinda fun, She-dm actually kinda competent relying mostly on puzzles rather than combat
>sadly, lavishes her fiance's clear min/maxing habits and his character has essentially rewritten most of the setting due to inconsistencies
>her fiance, (later husband as campaign progresses over the years) takes over the campaign
>at that point the party is literally just hand servants of his dmpc (a tengu alchemist).
>"Oh, a cleric? well I have all the healing potions that are better!"
>"of the thief? Just so happens I have this exact concoction for stealth"
>"oh the paladin melee god of smiting? lol I have melee mutagens I am the new party melee"
>Party never allowed anything to do better than dmpc
>The entire story nosedives into setting up the dmpc as a god emperor of some mystic wuiju tengu bullshit computer AI no gods athestic spheel
>I decide this is getting kinda silly, start pushing the CODzilla angle hard now.
>I still play supportish, except now I force the story onto the halforc paladin making him the "hero"
>"achktully, my alchemist..." is useless, the gods inspire the man, not his inventions
>go full religion memery to establish a knightly order
>recruit religions into a pious crusade that support the half-orc as a mesiah
>dmpc tries to intervene; not enough charisma to beat the charmisa focused paladan, not enough wisdom to challenge my cleric

game never finished after all that... group drama from the ether divides everyone and it all eventually dissolves into a pile of ugly sludge

Well.. there was a lot.
- More than once argued about system mechanics (that ALWAYS kills the mood).
- Killed and kidnapped some essential NPCs (in my defense, they were Asking for it)
- While they were participative and useful, my characters didn't always fit in the setting
- Generally not giving credit to the DM/asking more than what he could do.

Hey guy
Try in the future not doing things that arent fun for the rest of the players
Consider this

Yeah.. but There is no Future. Nothing i can do to get them back. It's.. it's just sad.

>Muh speshul oc
Good riddance

I am gonna need tha sauce.

Then look for new ones
Use facebook, ask people irl
And dont play like an reatard if u play with those people

I was thinking of buying a table-top game, that should make ammends. Any idea of a good friendship-healing table-top?

Board games or what?

I do have some Magic cards here. Perhaps introducing them to it? my mono-blue should still be fun to play.

>mono-blue
Of fucking course you play blue

>>find him in the wreckage without a scratch

I was expecting this to follow:

>kill him and carefully skin him

>craft his magical plot armor skin into a starship hull which is now invulnerable to all weapons

First of all you should apologize
Then you should ask them what you could do to make it up to them
If they talk to you you do that
If not you move on and try actively improving yourself with a new group.

>that guy who bullies OP for putting his story in the OP and accuses him of blogging

>Punishing the players who roleplay the most because of the stuff they do in character, and rewarding the players who just rollplay.
How so?

if you are aware you are that guy, probably you arent that guy, but you are somewhat incompatible with the group. find another group.

From a quick search it apears to be "purr blind".

Here's a couple of photos
gonewild.co/52837/purr-blind-mini-dump/

potential That Guy in a new group I'm DMing for.

>session 0
>character is Scrooge McDwarf
>"I'm greedy, only in it for the money, and I'm prejudiced against spellcasters" (entire party is spellcasters including McDwarf)
>breaks one of his own items, blames it on another player and spends 10 minutes trying to get him to reimburse him three times its value
>tries to pickpocket player when he doesn't give him his money

Gonna try and nip this one in the bud before shit gets out of hand. Not looking forward to the awkward conversation though.

It shouldn't be awkward, it ought to be firm.
You tell him, "Son, knock that shit off, it isn't cool nor fun, this is your first warning, you get to the third, you are out the game".

Or he is an self aware that guy which means hes able to change
Yea thats not good. Tell him to roll a new character or to make an existing one. Make it with him and outright tell him whats ok and whats not ok

Proud of you for stopping a bully.

Mad at your host for stealing the mapgridthing. If he tried to get it back then he should have given it back. Those things are crazy expensive. If it was like the laminated paper with a grid like i made then its not a big deal.

>80s RPGs have enemies that are compelled to attack their most heavily armored opponent
Don't talk about things you don't know anything about.

This is bait, right? No one could possibly be so lacking in self awareness as to be this much of a That Guy yet accuse anyone else of being one...right?

You're putting the horses before the stables user.

Enemies didn't attack the most armored opponents first, the most armored opponents were simply the most likely to get in the enemy's face first since they could afford to take hits that would kill people with weaker HD's.

The only person in the party who has a problem with the character is the Gnome, and it's mainly because of OoC jokes and quips that have never come close to playing out IC - to the point where he's IC the paladin's favorite character.

Furthermore, I told the GM about the concept and playstyle of the character and how he worked, asked for background details that fit the campaign, and asked the party OoC if they wanted the paladin to play party face in lieu of using him as an angry meatshield. They (bard included) said yes, despite him having lower CHA and fewer Diplo skills than the bard.

At no point did anyone express OoC distaste for my playstyle or the character, and they generally enjoy treating the character as an IC antagonist to outwit and manipulate. I regularly and deliberately send the character away to do mundane shit so the rest of the party can get away with things he would disapprove of if they want to. The character is and has always been an attempt to make Lawful Stupid interesting.

You know when they say "no game is better than bad game"? I used to think it was pretty false. Boy was I mistaken.

So, playing GURPS Infinite Worlds. One guy wants to play some kind of cyborg in a diselpunk setting. The GM says no, saying that the TL needed to do that is too high and it wouldn't really fir for his vision anyways (a game of mostly intrigue and social encounters, with only a few combat scenes), but he insists, saying that it won't really make a difference. When the DM refuses once more, he starts creating his character, but he decides to give him Cut Tongue and Poor Social Skills advantages on top of making his character a mercenary that turns out to hate people of a certain nationality, which was coincidentialy the one of two PCs'.

You may wonder what did he exactly do, since he literally chose to be a useless weight in 90% of the situations. The answer is "shit most encounters up," by deciding to, say, drink straight from the bottle in an upscale dinner party, or try to pick a fight with a cashier in a mall.

The climax of all of this was when he tried to stab an extradimensional traveler in the back. An extradimensional traveler in an armor that gave Damage Resistance on a value around 60, with a glorified table knife, because he wanted to get the extradimensional's gun that could apparently destroy cover. When the inevitable happens and his PC gets his jew ripped off by a kick, he throws a temper tantrum and outright annoys the GM for days, until the GM gives up and lets his character come back, albeit with less teeth than before. Does he learn his lesson? Nope. The following session, as soon as he gets out of hospital and meets an extradimensional soldier, he tries to shoot him with a gun and, when it fails, it burns his only Fate point to dodge a salvo and try to snap the soldier's neck, only to get beaten down into a pulp again. Cue another fit of rage and a table flipped over.

The fact that you had to spell out how to "deal with" your character should be a huge red flag. You have autonomy, user. You can decide to NOT play a character who's bound to execute other players.

Alright, here we go.

>Decide to try and ST an oWoD game
>All my players are familiar with tabletop games but not familiar with WoD, perfect to set up a simple 12-13th Gen game to introduce them into the setting
>The only guy who is not familiar with tabletops is a really quiet guy with turbo-autism and likes to quote poets to appear intellectual
>Always makes horrible, shitty racist jokes- and this is from a table filled with people who make racist jokes. He has no concept of comedic timing or gravitas to make a funny joke
>We haven't even started the session, trying to get one guy over to set up his character sheet
>Every time I attempt to invite him, the turboautist texts me within 24 hours
>"So I heard you're setting up character sheets. We'll be over at XX PM"
>We? Haha what?
>Get a text a few hours later
>"Sorry, looks like the character sheet session is cancelled. I need to go over to my girlfriend's tomorrow to help her with something."
>Pondering how he could possibly cancel an appointment he wasn't invited to.
>He insists that the other player will no longer make it as well, if he is not there.
>Text the other fellow-- his car is suddenly irreparably broken and he can't play for a couple of weeks

I feel like I've invited a psychopath to my table.

>a character who's bound to execute other players
What's the point in taking a paladin oath if you're not going to follow it? I told the GM I wanted to play an overzealous hardass, he gave me a custom oath and backstory tailored to the setting, I told the party about it to dispel confusion, and then the Gnome started bragging about all the things he did that I would be obliged to execute him for if I was going to follow the oath. It's not as though I actively look for ways to shit on the other players - the Gnome went out of his way to put himself in a situation where my character would be obliged to act immediately after I told him about my character's outlook.

Better yet, the very things I'd have to kill him for canonically never happened because the Gnome never discussed them with the GM prior to session 1 (and the GM told him this), but he still insisted on talking about it IC around the paladin. Things got tense, he passed his low difficulty diplo checks to pass it off as a misunderstanding, and the paladin backed off. He now knows not to brag about bankrolling a rebellion and selling napalm to avowed heretics when the Paladin is literally sitting next to him in a quiet room.

I spoke to the GM afterwards and he condoned my behavior. The only time this character has actually killed party members was when they did heinous shit like make blood pacts with demons or burn down an orphanage. You know, things that any good/lawfully-aligned paladin would be responsible for dealing with.

...RUN, FUCKING RUN!

>she
>having a female DM
>having women at the table period

vimeopro.com/somesucharchive/mark-romanek-12-02-15/video/95947494

don't mind letting a woman DM, she just has to not be shit at it

I know how to ward myself against psychopathic gypsies.

>I told the GM I wanted to play an overzealous hardass
You're That Guy.
>he gave me a custom oath and backstory tailored to the setting
He's That GM.

>be new campaign with friends
>group of criminal prisoners on a transport vessel to an unknown fate
>members are an investigator (me), burly sailor, regal pretty-boy, poetic madman, mentally-handicapped murderer, paladin and quiet guy.
>first session was just our group desperately escaping captivity and taking over the vessel
>during the entire chapter, regal pretty-boy grabbing anything not nailed down and trying to lead the group by simply being loud
>rest of group is permissive, but clearly suspicious and annoyed
>we're allowed to take actions during the evening between sessions for private actions
>next session, when talking to regal pretty boy, notice he has crumbs all around his mouth
>haha, okay whatever
>not long after, burly sailor is absolutely losing his shit because someone stole the entire vessel's worth of hardtack biscuits
>being an investigator, easily put two-and-two together and walk over to the regal pretty boy
>tell him that i'm very much aware he took all the shitty biscuits, and that i can help him get out of this in exchange for a favor
>assuming i want to make him my slave, he immediately tries to hold me at gun point with a flintlock pistol he picked off the Captain's corpse
>just sort of stand there as the other party members catch on and just start surrounding him, weapons drawn
>instead of trying to reason, he hurls himself off the boat, forcing him to drop 95% of his gear
>instead of drowning like one likely would, he clings to the ship and yells that he dislikes me
>party begins preparing to hurl javelins at him while i just watch
>he disappears under the waves and our ship prepares to violently beach on a nearby island
>mfw everyone was that guy over a bag of literally the shittiest biscuits ever

He specifically chose a class which the party needed instead of his first choice, and he checked with the DM that the character wouldn't be a problem.

Its a fine character, its not his fault a PC started bragging about things which he knew would incite a severe response from the paladin.

Then it's wrong to call it "anime"

You might as well say
>he had an edgy angst filled book/movie/vidya backstory

I do, but that doesn't mean I will excuse OP's ignorance.

Haha. You're just helping That Guy with his master plan. He'll use his second warning to setup his endgame. His third warning will be for his """genius""" total campaign derailment bullshit as he gets kicked out.

One strike and you're gone is how to deal with the worst That Guys.

I remember That Guy from another thread.

>a table flipped over
wait what, was this IRL?

Muh niqqa

Alright I'm not sure if this player is going to turn out to be That Guy but I'm definitely seeing some early warning signs.

>Friend of mine invites me to join a 5e campaign her bf is running.
>Haven't played tabletop since D&D 3.5 but go sure why not.
>Get a hold of a PHB and roll up a Light cleric since the party at this point consists of a barbarian, wizard, and rogue.
>Get to session, everyone seems chill enough, apparently it's DM's first campaign but he's doing well, has great descriptions and does pretty decent voices for each character.
>Turns out he's running Lost Mines of Phandelver but I didn't know it at the time.
>Session starts with other PCs reaching the goblin infested keep.
>My character is nowhere to be seen but I assume he's being held prisoner so I just observe for a bit.

>All's going well until this point, but things start to go awry.
>Party spends close to the first 3 hours of session time scouting the place out from every possible angle.
>During this time it comes out that the wizard is a bit eccentric and has pyromanic tendencies coupled with a backstory that is equal parts edgy and absurd.
>worry.jpg
>The rogue ends up getting spotted by a patrol of two hobgoblins, but manages to lead them into the rest of the party and they end up killing one and capturing the other.
>After grilling him for info, the fucking barbarian of all people convinces the hobbo to ally with them, telling him if he convinces his men to stand down they'll take out the bugbear for him so he can take over.
>Party decides to wait until nightfall then make their way to the keep.

Cont.

>Party gets too the keep and lays low just outside while hobbofriend goes inside.
>Short time later a horn is sounded off.
>It would appear negotiations have broken down.
>Party decides fuck it, storm the doors
>I'm a little annoyed at this point that so much time was spent trying to plan and they went for a frontal assault anyway, but at least they didn't go full murderhobo from the start.
>Meanwhile I finally get control of my character, woken up by the sound of the horn. Sure enough, he's bound and stripped naked in the side room opposite the room with the altar, but still has his holy symbol on him.
>Make a strength check to break the bonds and torch the two gobbos still in the room. This leads to some DAM confusion since he thought I was a LIFE cleric, not a LIGHT cleric.
>Take what I can from them, and decide my character, who has no idea what's going on besides the fact that there is a battle going on, is going to go the other way and try and find an exit.
>Turns out there actually was an exit right next to the room I was in, have to justify staying by saying I need my stuff if I'm going to survive after my escape.
>Meanwhile wizard decides to go full retard and runs ahead of the party while invisible to set up a Burning Hands on a group of 2 hobbos and a goblin.
>Both hobgoblins make their dex save and on their next turn shank his ass. He's on the floor bleeding out now.
>Session has to end mid combat due to time constraints and the wizard's player starts sperging out on me as we leave the place.
>Somehow the fact that his character is only one failed saving throw from death is somehow my fault for not joining in the fight.
>Try to explain to him I had no in character reason to do so, as I was poorly equipped, naked, and had no way of knowing if whatever was attacking the keep was friendly.
>Only reason I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt is that he admitted that it made sense, but it was clear he's still pretty pissed at me.

cont.

What do you guys think? Do I have a possible ticking time bomb on my hands here?

I'm kind of worried what's going to happen if his character actually dies. I'm hoping he doesn't just up and decide his character is super racist against half-orcs or some other shit to justify getting revenge, what I'm reading in this thread definitely makes it seem plausible.

Maybe? He did admit that you were right so maybe it just that he was pissed at the moment, but will como to his senses.

I mean, he does seem a That Guy, but presumption of innocence and shit.

Have a current DM who would just laugh and say we weren't supposed to win against the bandits and would have us break while he rewrites the campaign to fit what happened. That's the point of ttg is to have flexibility. I feel this is lack of experience on the dm's part in of not knowing how to handle players' solutions