EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Old Thread (Cross-thread)

RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
Do you prefer old borders or new borders on your cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14870980
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have never seen anyone play this card.

That is all.

>Thread Q
I prefer modern borders to old borders or the M15 border.

Old boarders.

I have this card as a russian prelease foil. I used to run him in my Wrexial Lovecraft theme deck.

Old borders are almost always harder to read and are much more likely to have really weird wording that makes it not possible to know exactly what they're up to without an internet connection.

That seems like it'd be really dumb unless your opponent is at 6. Or you got that one card that doubles EtB abilities

Modern border > M15 border > White Border
Watermarks > all and it makes me mad that reprints don't have them, outside of MM1 for whatever reason.

He's pretty fun in a timmy smash kind of way.
Slap these bad boys on him and go to town

How would that do anything? His only activated ability is the regenerate one.

But mt argument being that I mostly run it as a removal magnet. I don't have many uses for it in my deck, outside from the off chance of creating infinite tokens and having Ghave with million counters.
It's a wincon, but not a main one.
I rather loop Protean hulk or Boonweaver giant.

>But mt argument being that I mostly run it as a removal magnet
If there's anything in your deck that screams 'waste a card on me or I get a million tokens' that costs less(or even a little more if you can put the DS elsewhere) you should run that instead. Like what were you thinking of replacing it with?

>Do you prefer old borders or new borders on your cards?
i only use old border lands, but i like all borders. i think the modern border is the goat. altho i love the white print and textures on plane shifted cards.

I've been thinking of building a deck like Mogis enchantments, but either with white or green splash for enchantress effects and tutors.

Problem is i haven't found good commanders. Mathas fiend seeker could be a good Mardu for some carddraw and politics. Any other suggestions?

How many cards do you want to run that don't necessarily gel with your commander or have any synergy at all, but is goodstuff?
Things like Consecrated Sphinx in U/G Ezuri?

Oh, thought he was talking about the card in the OP

i don't really run any cards which don't reinforce the central theme and plan of my decks

i would run rhystic study in ezuri, but not consphinx.

Some cards go in every deck, sol ring goes in every deck. Birds of paradise go in every green deck. Demonic tutor goes in every black deck. Swords to plowshares goes in every white deck. Red deck slits own throat. Cyclonic rift goes in every blue deck.

Only good excuse is money.

Old Gold borders. Specifically the golgari ones like pic related and pernicious deed.

>Red deck slits own throat.

where did the blood moon touch you? theres a blood sun coming out too you know. might need some prep h from all the incoming butthurt.

God Bless Blood Moon and the asspain it causes

>Birds of paradise go in every green deck.
>Demonic tutor goes in every black deck.
i don't run either of these. birds is only really good if your deck likes having creatures and badly needs the fixing.

tutors just make edh boring.

More looking at how mono red has many more 'build around me' commanders like Purphoros, Norin, or Daretti than adding other colors, and less general good stuff. So the top three includes for mono Red decks according to edhrec are Chaos Warp, Vandleblast and Blasphemous Act. All not nearly being known as auto include staples like Sol Ring or Demonic tutor

Yeah agreed. Though I would put senseis top in every deck if I could. Shit is addicting, though I understand it being annoying for other players if the guy topping was slow.

the same people that bitch on forever about a single blood moon play blue, stax, all nonbasics, etc. its great.

Top vs rack? I like rack

what do I add to make this deck as brutal as possible?

I know all the obvious stuff like board wipes and taxes. I'm looking for super special secret tech that I might not think of. Like Uba Mask! Which is in the deck and hilariously oppressive if it sticks.

Either with another sac outlet or Walking ballista more likely. Possibly a tutor as well.
I have gotten rid of many things that were there originally, but DS I have never cut, because it's still another combo piece, even though I rarely use it as such, since I have many better cards for comboing off.

Jade monolith?

oh my
oh yes
thank you

Rack is better the more draw+ shuffle effects you have. Top doesn't care about draw but is better the more artifact hate cards there are. Plus can turn into "3: draw a card" if you have rings of brighthearth or similar

Just to clarify, scroll racking into a counterbalance trigger is legal right?

Yes, it's just like CounterTop

Nice, glad i pulled the masterpiece of rack. Its so sexy

What cards should I get rid off from the draconic dominance commander?

You wanna fix the mana base first and foremost. Get a lifecrafter's beastiary in there too. Dumping dragos can eat through hand quick.

First thing I did was to get a bounty out and replace it with a lantern.

Should I get the rest of the bounties out? I don't like effects that give my opponents stuff.

Seriously. It is also a savior of cheap decks that run lots of basics. I love seeing the smile on the face of >100$ deck players and the dread on 3000$ foiled out faggots.

Both are great. I need more racks, but top is what I played with first so I am more used to it.

The curses? I only ever liked curse of opulence. If you are struggling with fixing, you can use it but its not a mandatory card, get rocks in there if you wanna cut opulence. I like cutivators caravan

Might as well drop this

strawpoll.me/14870980

i don't run either in any deck. instead of fucking with the top of my deck i prefer to just draw the cards.

seems like your gripe is with mono red top edhrec, since most mono are heavy commander based and use alot of artifacts to make up for the lack of another color.

edhrec just averages the cards among all decks, and isnt a good resource for anything but what the average player is using for X thing. by eckrek average, no blue decks run force of will ever (except maybe baral), but you know damn well any blue player WOULD if they had the dosh. blood moon is a reasonable price with all the reprints and is a no brainer in a 75% or "cEDH" scene, but falls short in more casual groups running more basics than two.

having alot of the same staples becomes stale, boring, and expensive since its a braindead choice that everyone wants. having a few generally good but not wholly universal staples leaves more room for other cards and diversity.

>Do you prefer old borders or new borders on your cards?

New ones by far. I wish they'd reprint all their shit old cards with the new border desu.

dont forget the warping and chinese bootleg print quality control

Now that's dirty. I like it.

Depends what you find fun. I like to have variety between games and not be tutoring for some shit combo every game, so I prefer to run goodstuff over combo pieces and tutors, but if you're in a competitive meta or like to win, then you'll drop goodstuff for combo pieces / commander wincons.

>tfw playing against Nekusar
>dumb shit Windfalled after I plopped down Michiko

With prototype portal it becomes 1, draw a card.

Chinese bootlegs are probably better quality than some of the real ones from back then at this point

Anyone else buttmad that O-Kagachi was just, like, a mildly underwhelming dragon?

The fucking thing was the most powerful being on an entire plane. A 6/6 flying trampler with an ability that does nothing stapled to it is, like...

It's total ass.

The fucking thing could eat 3,000 soldiers in a single bite... like, come on...

No, it becomes 1 tap portal, create top, tap top: draw a card. Only reason PP would be superior if you had Unwinding clock

I was. Man, at least he should've gotten haste.

dies to one angry owl

>I was. Man, at least he should've gotten haste.
oh GOD I KNOW

>Eats entire armies alive
>Annihilates all in its path
>Carves entire canyons into the landscape as it moves
>Easily destroys Eiganjo, a castle protected by literally the most powerful possible magic that mortals could put together

>In game effect
>Conditional Utter End on a stick.
>without haste

>purphoros and rakdos at the same table

or one hungry boi

What birb are you refrencing?

>third player reveals Malfegor

baleful strix. Granted, its one of the best early game blockers ever printed

>baleful strix
O-oh

Still better than 3 to draw a card desu.

>one Nekusar and one Locus God player
>everybody wheels forever, two Teferi's puzzle boxes on the field

This shit just happened to me the other day.
>on Krenko
>buddy is on Norin
>Third guy on some W/G token deck, don't recall the commander
>randy who I don't play with much pulls out Elesh Norn deck with a shit-eating grin on his face
>once he drops Elesh Norn, the whole table proceeds to target the fuck out of him, she dies within a turn rotation
>We all contribute to making sure he can never play her a second time
>he complains that we're unfairly targeting him
I don't understand, what else would he expect to happen when he was playing a commander that literally prevents the rest of us from playing the game?

Nah. At least you can do it multiple times during your turn, each turn if you have a flasher.

>Idiot playing Elesh deck doesn't have enough tech in it to 3v1 some jank decks.
Disgusting.

Not to mention that PP top is way more prone to removal and you lose top permanently, and you have to have top in hand when PP enters the battlefield

>Randy
>Playing Elesh Norn deck
I had an old roommate named Randy who played Elesh. Dude needed to shower more, though I suppose that could be said for most of the mtg playerbase.

If that's the idea, why not just play reanimator that can be actually useful instead of monowhite deck and hope for the best to kill tokens. At least adding black gives you card draw, Happy wurm and the new demon that reanimates with energy. Green would give ramp and Ezuri's predation, which is pretty meme worthy against tokens.
Your friend seems to be idiot, like really, 7 mana to wipe out your opponent's tokens spell it out.

Why do such dirty introverts play MTG? One would think they'd be too autistic/shy to go to an LGS. My LGS has a huge problem with this due to no AC in the building.

I assume he only built the deck because he got his hands on a Phyrexian text Elesh Norn.

You know what's even worse? Kamigawa is a block regarded as having some of the best, if not THE best, flavor of all time...

And this is O-Kagachil's flavor text.

How is it even possible to reduce one of the best stories in MTG to something so boring and unimpactful?

Also Blood of the Martyr

:^) I guess I could post the image too.

It's Ludevic all over again
It's Ancient Grudge all over again

Because they see other dirty introverts tucked away in the dark corners of the LGS, so they think it's a safe haven for dirty introverts to hide from clean extroverts. Also all the nerd culture they've been steeping in while locked away in their bedrooms.

>Ludevic
I'll give you that one, but
>Ancient Grudge
His flavor text may have be bland as plain flour, but it's not "At his behest, The Kami War began. The war, started by the Kami, specifically O'Kagachi, who's behest it was to war; to regain That Which Was Taken."

>It's Ancient Grudge all over again
It's worse than Ancient Grudge. At least Ancient Grudge had proper grammar.

O-Kagachi's flavor text over there makes no sense. According to it, the Kami War itself, an abstract concept, was somehow trying to regain That Which Was Taken. O-Kagachi was just standing around behesting and shit, while the Kami War manifested into a physical avatar with hands so it could tussle with Konda 1 on 1.

Quality control? Who cares!

I don't think you know grammar as well as you think you do.

hot

:^) I'm just having fun.

Seriously though, parse that sentence. It's a mess.

If people are gonna play strong commanders they shouldn't be surprised when they get focussed down... I play a Gisela player a lot who gets angry because everyone focuses them - but it's warranted because it gets out of hand so fast.
You've gotta be pretty desperate to want to spend 3 mana to draw a card desu. I can see it being ok in a late game deck with literally nothing else going for it in an empty hand maybe.

steaming

I actually like her GB version and I'm surprised at the characterization they gave her. It was actually interesting and I enjoy her now compared to being some fuck back in Ravnica.

Yawgmoth, Vengeful Phyrexian 3BBB
Legendary Creature - Horror
5/5

B, tap, sacrifice a creature: Target player loses 1 life.

>it gets out of hand so fast*.
*"fast" by Boros standards

>Flavor text
"The rationale behind Yawgmoth's actions is unclear, but he claimed only to be interested in the working of plagues and other diseases."

You can bring out Gisela on like turn 5 with mana rocks, turn 6 you're earthquaking everyone for 16.

Whats the average deck cost? I showed up to a multiplayer table earlier tonight with a 500 dollar edgar deck and smashed the entire thing and i kinda feel bad. Should i be investing in duel commander if i'm trying to spike as hard as I am?

It depends on the playgroup. Some go to $3000, some $50.

That makes sense. A high caliber Atraxa or something like that could easily be 3k. Rudimentary Xenogod list could be 50 easy.

Money is only a rough indication of someone's deck. I've seen competitive $100 lists and casual $1000 decks before

My decks range from 100-600$. I tend to like my opponents to have decks with some priciness to them, I don't really enjoy stomping unaltered precons. I wish my casual playgroup would invest just a BIT more into their decks, especially their mana base. Just shock lands, not duals or anything.

Yep. So ask beforehand in case they seem to be people playing super casually, and you could have a "sideboard" to side some things in and out depending on powerlevel. Some parts for MP, others for Duel if you go down that hard, but Edgar would not be good for Duel from what I know, just okay I think.
Disruption Kess would be something for Duel for example. There's also this It always varies, you could ask beforehand "are you guys more casual or competitive" and that's usually a decent gauge, Of course everyone's definition of what is casual and comp is always different.

How do you fight against board wipes outside of less overextending and teferis protection? I like the deck but man one boardwipe or rift just crushes edgar in my experience. In 1v1 though holy shit its a train.

>edgar deck and smashed the entire thing
what a shock

Abdolutely, thats a fair point. Decks like Xenogod are dirt cheap and insanely good.

I feel you there man, I enjoy playing even matchups with powerful cards, thats a tricky bind.

Boros charm, Aethreos, teferi's, necropotence, recursive vampires like bloodghast and oathbound vampire, torent of souls, demonic, vampiric, and enlightened tutor. Board wipes are ezpz. My goal is card advantage and flood. I have a solid 12 cards dedicated to card advantage, and a handful of cantrips to seek them out.

I like the idea of keeping a duel commander deck, and a value sideboard is a good call. Edgar is banned in duel, but i was thinking about Alesha who smiles at death to reuse my existing landbase. I really like aggro decks.

Thanks for the tips dude, forgot bloodghast is a vampire, got one sitting around somewhere. Necropotence too. My poor demonic and vampiric tutors are tossed between decks all the time, I really wish i bought more when they were cheaper.

Absolutely, glad to help. If you're running low to the ground vampires, card draw from cards like Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, Twilight Prophet (insanely good card), Outpost Siege (the worst one), and all others similar is insane. Edgar's Eminence makes casting 2 vampires a full board wipe recovery. You 2 for 1 every vamp, so just having vamps in hand is crazy value. Necropotence is unironically the best card in the deck.

I'll also reccomend bitterblossom because its hardcore goodstuff that helps you swarm or might help with aristocrats bs with Goblin Bombardment or Falkenrath Aristocrat. I dont have a copy of it myself, but its on my buylist.

Nice! Yeah twilight prophet is en route! I bought a foil since seb is my favorite artist ever in mtg. I hope bitterblossom is reprinted in the upcoming master set, its really due for one.

I'm going to be contrarian and say I'm glad they printed a decent card that's somewhat on point. I'm glad Timmy is all butthurt they didn't print another 15 mana fucking dragon when they already did that with Ur-Dragon.

>when they already did that with Ur-Dragon.
>Scion of the Ur Dragon is considerably better than The Ur-Dragon itself
jfc it's garbage fire design all the way down.