Do you guys have any tips for running Mutant Chronicles...

Do you guys have any tips for running Mutant Chronicles? I was hoping to run a one shot for my buddies to see if they would be interested in a full campaign. But I'm not quite sure on how to go about it. Should I use 1st or 3rd edition? And do I run it more like Shadowrun/dark heresy, or Only War?

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7330187/Mutant_Chronicles_Golgotha
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Idk but it looks cool so I'm bumping your thread

Can't tell you which edition, only played it the old swedish version, but we had the most fun playing it closer to SR or DH with a main focus on mega corp shenanigans and occasionally stumbling over a heretical plot. Most of the time we were running missions for the Brotherhood usually against cybertronic and they were a blast to go up against. Never felt too bad about taking some flunkies out and they were always up to some weird shit.

If you need inspiration, you should look up the old comic book. Fucking brilliant!

Bill King, Simon Bisley, Alex Horely ...

No wonder it looks so beautifully 90s. (aside from being made in the 90s of course)

STORY THAT SHIT!

1E suffers from power creep across the supplements, 3e's built around the Momentum and Dark Symmetry Points meta-currencies. Which of those is a bigger issue for you?

Bump

Well considering only one of my players wants to go outside the main book (ie, member of the Brotherhood) it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Especially considering they aren't too big on power gaming.

What's the deal with the Meta Currencies? Are they a problem in some way?

Would /co/ possibly have it?

If so, this guy has the right idea.

>Are they a problem in some way?
Only if you don't like meta-currencies, which I know can be polarising.

In brief, Momentum is points you get for getting more successes than the difficulty, which you can spend for bonuses on your later rolls (by default everybody shares the pool, so if you do really well on your taunt roll your buddy can use that to get more damage from shooting the guy). Dark Symmetry Points are used by the GM to activate special abilities on enemies, give them reloads, create environmental hazards, etc. The GM gets them when the players fuck up in their rolls or when the players give them to him in exchange for Momentum.

MC3 is the result of locking a boardgame designer into a room with only a copy of Pathfinder and telling him he won't be let out before he's produced a scifi storygame.
Add to that a line manager who never actually played the original and a publisher who specializes in coffee-table books.
The curse of Mutant Chronicles is alive and well.

The setting is still one of the best ever devised.

I see, I see, while I don't meta currencies too much, it seems I'll have to go with 1st edition (I like the art a lot better to boot.) I took a look through the 3rd edition book and it seemed to suffer from having the same flavor as a certain rather infamous 4th edition game. At least to me of course.

So are there any sourcebooks I should find that are a must have? And on the other hand are there ones I should avoid? Due to the aforementioned power creep of course.

Damn it, the images are not cooperating with me today.

Don't Modiphius run all their fluff past the setting owners first, or did they only start doing that post-MC3?

Why 1st and not 2nd? The supplements are pretty much entirely compatible.

Oh I heard /thought there was wasn't too many differences between them. Not to mention I found the 1st edition books more easily.

It's a licensed product, so I guess they have to run it by the owners. Bear in mind that the same owners ok'ed the movie.

mutantpedia.com

Go with the second edition. It's virtually the same as 1st, only slighly fatter, slightly prettier and slightly less wonky.

>the movie

At least the teaser poster looked cool.

Like 1st/2nd myself, but heard good stuff about the adventures for 3rd at least.

That was a terrible decision on his part I can only assume.

Righto, looking over it now, and you were not kidding. Thanks user.

Mutant Chronicles is honestly more hopeful than dark heresy/only war. It's still a shitty, shitty world where shitty, shitty things happen on a regular basis but there are genuinely good people doing genuinely good things and actually winning. The main difference between the two settings tone-wise can be seen with the two sorts of inquisitors.

>40k Inquisitor finds guy struggling with demonic possession: Kill him or use him as a killing machine bound to the inquisitor's will.
>Mutant Chronicles Brotherhood finds guy struggling with demonic possession: Do your best to save him, give him medical treatment and psychological help to recover after he's exorcised. Kill him only if you can't save him.

The historical support is nice if you want more info on the immediate aftermath of Imperial ruining everything.

Imperial did nothing wrong!

Footnote: Imperials did EVERYTHING WRONG

Is this not the face of angelic innocence?

If you're the crunchy kind, I've seen a RQ6-hack around.

I'm quite fond of the new 3rd edition, never had a beef with meta currencies in the first place (I cut my teeth on GMing DH and the rest of the 40k RPGs and their fate points systems) so momentum and DSP aren't a big deal to me, with 3rd you gotta look at it like the PCs are the protagonists in a movie and the momentum and chronicle points acting like plot conveniences and DSP and complications being just that, plot complications. I'd quite like to give the previous editions a run, one of my players told me about 2nd edition and it sounded pretty dank.

As for running one shots I quite liked the intro adventure for 3rd ed. Straffar Garten 39 being an investigation game that ramps up the supernatural and horror elements of the setting and the Dark Symmetry quite nicely. I also am quite fond of doing special detective unit type games, procedural format a d plenty leeway for the players to do their thing and stretch out, so I'll admit to being a bit biased there. A shadow run like intro adventure is always a good angle, freelancers and their hyjinks are always a fun game.

Fucking browser crash.

If you go for 3rd be mindful you don't get carried away with blowing DSP in combat encounters, set a break condition for enemies that make sense. A gang of young toughs are probably going to cut and run when the PCs put half their mates down on the ground groaning for mother. Either way I hope your friends have fun with MC whatever edition you pick.

Speaking of adventures, how important would you say maps are for MC? I have trouble making detailed maps, and most of my time between work and such is spent writing adventures for my group; I always find it hard to fit in time to make maps that aren't absolute garbage. Especially on Roll20 as I can't seem to find any decent programs, tools or resources that actually work well.

So I ask can I run it theater or the mind, or will a crappy sketch on a battle mat or electronic map for positioning and such be good enough?

1e & 2e work with real distances, 3e works with abstract zones. Basic positioning sketches are always superior to nothing at all, but you just need to have a general idea of the distance between two points for 1e/2e

3rd edition can also use real distances, covered in a side bar with a rough equivalency of what each zone is in meters. As for maps I'd go all iut and make a full map for each scene, city blocks, precinct house, emplyment office, sewers, mobster night club. Mostly because I enjoyed making them, having a rough guide to go from for your players to orientate thenselves when bullets start flying is perfectly fine.

moar Warzone art plox

FYI - Michima Tiger Dragons (the jap in huge armor with exhausts and flags obviously) ware masters of infiltration.

forgot pic

Sexy Golgotha is sexy

Dying is for cowards, thread!

What is the appeal of Warzone? Is it just that it's a 90's, Americanized version of 40k?

The artwork is cool but seems derivative (ironic I know)

Technically it is a swedenized version 40K. But I do believe some of WZ's designers did work for 40K as well, so the derivative feel might be justified.
The MC-universe and the Imperium are very different places, tho

>Technically it is a swedenized version 40K. But I do believe some of WZ's designers did work for 40K as well, so the derivative feel might be justified.

Gotcha, didn't realize it was from Sweden. The art just seemed more...American to me.

The overall story seems very 40k (the evil demons coming to destroy the world, the Inquisition has to stop them), though I will admit that when you look at the rest, it's all about the big corps fighting eachother.

For what it's worth, the game seemed really cool. I took a few things from it when creating my own sci fi wargame because I liked a lot of the ideas.

(Not the other user)Yeah it's a strange mix, but it's what drew me to it. It's been a while since an rpg/wargame piqued my interest like this, and the art, tone and loveable cheesiness of ot all really struck it home for me. I even got a brotherhood starter box mostly so I could just have a painted group of them. If I can find some people to battle against all the better. Overall I'm just rather excited to have found this game.

The settings are very different though. Like space demons and inquisitors are 40kish but everything else is 100% different. 1890-1920 corporate noir feel vs space nazi dark ages. Very different genres. Plus MC is way less dark than 40K. Most people in MC live normal lives, work normal jobs, and spend their time doing sports or watching movies or whatever while 40K has a lot more "Everything is terrible!"

Had a look on mutantpedia, but despite having all the rules and source books in various languages as well as a bunch of other random MC related things...they sadly only have the comic in Italian.

Gonna keep looking though.

>didn't realize it was from Sweden. The art just seemed more...American to me.
The game's production art maybe, but that comic is pure Metal Hurlant.

IIRC, the comic was done by Paolo Parente, who was one of the artists at Target Games throughout the 90s until it got shut down.

Pencils by Davide Fabbri
Inks by Alex Horley
Colours by Paolo Parente
Covers by Simon Bisley
Writing by William King

One hell of a team.

>William King

Oh baby.

Well, there's this torrent, but it's dead.
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7330187/Mutant_Chronicles_Golgotha

Bump

I have the first issue of this in print, bought it out of a random box of indies at the pop up comics market in my city, going to try and hunt down the other issues now. Though I think it never actually finished, like, the last issue was never printed?

The four issues of Golgotha were printed, but Dark Eden, the follow-up, was not.

Ahh, well good to know Golgotha was finished, sad to know there's no follow up.

Is there any place online you can play the Doom Trooper card game? My dad used to be heavily into it when I was a kid and I loved it as well, it's simple, but very elegant and fun. Also Mutant Chronicles, despite being pretty much a 40k rip off is cool as hell

Vassal possibly, I know there are still some dedicated communities out there still producing their own card sets and expansions. But I think those are mostly Italian. Secret Cow Level have recently started a reboot of Doom Trooper as a digital card game, had a successful KS not long ago and are almost ready to send out a backer alpha build, I'm pretty keen to give it a try.

Checked it out, would sign up for beta, but for some reason it doesn't accept my e-mail. Anywhere online where you can browse through the full list of cards, along with their images? I would gladly browse them and reminisce a bit, but all I can find are just a few random ones, no extensive list.

Looks like a Gundam.
Which is great.

Don't say that to his face.

>unleashes the Dark Legion upon the solar system, then after humanity beats the Dark Legion back, proceeds to do it AGAIN!
>did nothing wrong

Pick one.

Bauhaus best megacorp, Cybertronic is a manifestation of the Dark Soul!

But user, Cybertronic is run by the Pope's brother.

Excuse me sir, this gentleman would like a word with you.

Uh oh.