Heroic vampire PC

>heroic vampire PC
Can this ever be done well? If so, how?

Alucard
from the abridged series

Blade

Angel

I mean, Masquarade and Requiem exist so you can play that in these systems

I’ve loved the concept of a vampire who is questing to feast on the heart of a Wyrm, and in doing so shall never again thirst for human blood.

As for your specific question, treat the thirst as an illness, an addiction. Most works that describe vampires who try not to drink blood often show those who do become more feral and unthinking they snap and drink half the village before getting their minds back in order.

Yes.
What you do
Is make a vampire
And then play them like a hero
Take your (You) and get out.

The problem isn't the archetype, the problem is that most games won't allow you to play a vampire for balance reasons and those who are about playing vampires are usually set in vampire societies where you are not allowed to hunt other vampires or force them to go vegan.

>Can this ever be done well?
pic related

If so, how?
in general emphasize their remaining humanity. They need to feed on blood but they choose not to kill people, taking only animals and or small survivable amounts as relevant the settings rules.
hunting monsters worse than themselves is an easy excuse for why they're tolerated in a world where most vampires are evil monsters.

Fucking up a lot, getting mad and killing people, then getting mad at them for killing them is still pretty classically heroic.

and i forgot the pic.

Yep.

You're a vampire. You drink mostly animal blood, but will occasional drain some of the blood from a willing lusty barmaid/stable boy after seducing them. You use your powers to fight evil, and fight against the vampire aristocracy that wishes to trick and enslave all humans into being blood servants. Your powers of hypnotism and transformation, as well as improved physical strength and agility make your a great infiltrater, and you can hold your own in a fight.

The party's religious characters probably doesn't trust you very much, but is slowly warming up to you. You are gaining all their trust, and in turn they will begin to do things for you like helping you over running water or get invitations to enter homes for you.

I was in a team of "monsters seeking redemption by taking outnan even great evil" game that ran for a bit and we had 2 vampire pcs.
One was played as a cringy angst ridden edgelord but the other handled it like a recovering drug addict, who's cocain was murder. He slipped up once or twice but the rest of the party (a minotaur, werewolf and half fiend) usually managed to intervene when we saw things going south.

>and in turn they will begin to do things for you like helping you over running water or get invitations to enter homes for you.
Man, that running water part sounds adorable.
>"Guys, please piggyback me, I can't cross this river."
>"Why don't you just cross on those rocks?"
>"They're slippery, what if I fall in?"
>"I don't want to have to carry you again..."
>"Please, this is trivial to you but you know how dangerous this is for me."
>Vampire proceeds to get carried across the river, content as can be, and is more so glad that their clothes didn't get wet than they were worried about getting hurt by the water

Nailed it!

Unless the setting specifically negates it, yes you can.

Playing a good vampire is fucking trivial, which is why every setting that has vampires throws in a bunch of their own donut steel shit in order to prevent it.

Feed on animals; literally less evil than humans eating them.
Feed a little off a bunch of humans so none of them are all that affected

It could be early vampirism, or maybe some half-blood vampire (the PC used to be a thrall or something) so the PC wouldn't gain all those insane traits and break the game.

alternatively just have them in a high powered party. I've done dnd 3.x with a vampire pc a couple of timrd. when the regular race characters are level 10 a level 2 vampire isn't a problem.

They are often seen as wretched monstrosities who, despite their strange powers, are ultimately lesser beings due to their loss of humanity. Not particularly heroic.

They restrain themselves to feeding on criminals, monsters, and other bad guys exclusively.

>I’ve loved the concept of a vampire who is questing to feast on the heart of a Wyrm, and in doing so shall never again thirst for human blood.
That's a pretty fucking awesome idea, although it doesn't work with ones where the vampire gets stronger with the more blood it's drunk. Unless (a) it desensitises it to human blood by comparison, or (b) functions as an infinite supply, making the vampire a functional god.

Don't make a vampire adventurer. Being useful won't make an unenslaved party think the guy who can't go outside half the time and can't follow them everywhere isn't a burden.

You're either Spawn, a Kassian vampire following the monster class levels template, that one Solider class that actually somehow practices vampirism until he somehow becomes one when he dies at the end of character progression, a Dhampir, or Katane.

Even then, you're still just a tool of the plane of negative energy, as you don't suck blood for the blood, but the victims lifeforce, which only leaves you with Ravenloft Vampyres and Nosferatu.

Ah hell no. Get that broody shit out of here.

Sorin Markov to a degree?

Sure, in Vampire: the Masquerade.

Strictly speaking you only *need* 1 blood point per night (which explicitly causes no real harm to a human, unless you're a Giovanni), and as long as your remaining blood is equal to or greater than [7 - Self-Control], you don't risk a feeding frenzy. For even a typical vampire this mean as long as they have at least 5 blood points (from 7 minus a Self-Control of 2).

Basically all the shit that vampires in the World of Darkness have to put up with is cultural, not innate or represented by the system itself. Left to their own devices there's really no reason why most vampires shouldn't be able to be Friendly Neighborhood Vampires, who spend their time lounging around their lairs watching TV and calling up late-night talk shows to complain about the state of Hollywood, or going to parties with each other.

My bet is that it's mostly the major cities where lots of vampires gather that things suck. In smaller cities like Providence or Worcester, where there's seriously only like 2 or 3 vampires, the vampires get together and hang out and have an awesome time with their immortality.

Everything we've witness Sorin do has been with the intention of doing something that would make things better for everyone if it works:

- Repair the Eldrazi seal
- Find and restore Avacyn
- Find out what happened to Ugin so as to deal with the Eldrazi
- Slay Avacyn after she's apparently gone mad
- Slay Nahiri

Even if he has fundamentally selfish goals, that doesn't change that his actions generally result in a net positive for the people on the plane where he lives.

Yes. No. Maybe.

I played an existentialist vampire once. While he was a blood sucking monster that occasionally needed to feast upon humans to sustain himself, he refused to allow the vampirism to be the defining aspect of his essence. Courtesy of his willpower and free will he chose to redefine himself as a good man, never taking a life when drinking and dedicating his immortal life to being a paladin even though no god would accept him.

Sure, as long as the vampire only eats certain kinds of people, like criminals or the homeless.

Just because the Vampire has an effectively infinite supply of vitae does not mean they're unstoppable, only extremely powerful.

Considering it's a vampire that has defeated an ancient dragon solely to carve into the thing's dying chest and latch onto it's beating heart to drink of vitae-dense blood for an entire night, I don't see that being a bad thing. Adventurers have done less to go from level 1 to 15.

Sure it can, however, vampires are seldom very good at being good guys, even Kane (legacy of kane) turned out to be an anti-hero.

Then why did he decide to preserve vampires and other monsters? He could live comfortably as the only creature of his kind.

Knight vampire ghosts

A better example would be Spike

I played one who only fed on bad guys and non human threats to humanity.

do it like venom: lethal protector

>i eat the bad guys and tear them to shreds!
>why are you screaming im one of the good guys?

Yeah. Hard ass lawful good is compelling for a vampire. You turn evil against evil, feed on evil individuals or individuals that don't contribute much to successful society, seeking to create utopia. Its just about as edgy as you can make LG, but can be within the bounds of LG.

A vampire is a sentient who needs to drink blood and comes with some strengths and weaknesses. Drink blood from the right people, don't be a dick, and you're just a dude with some powers who lights up like a match under the sun. OFC this doesnt work if the curse fundamentally makes an infected individual evil.

Vampires make great paladins. MTG has embraced it hardcore with its recent vampires, a boat load of them are vampire knights (in MTG this archtype includes paladins), and the Order of the Bloodstained is a paladin order that's exclusively vampires, and the Markov line has its own order of knights.

these are good ideas and aspects.

On a similar note, how does one made a heroic were-whatever?

Are you talking in a transformed state? Same way you play a chaotic good berserker. Outside of transformed state, don't be a dick.

If your DM says that weres are fully sentient, legit just don't be a dick, that's it. If it is an evil curse, contain the transformations.

Yes, but the how depends on system, setting, etc.
For the blood problem:
>Vampire can go hungry and refuse to drink blood
>Vampire can drink from animals or people who have just died/are about to die
>Only drink blood from criminals
>Feed on other vampires
Everything else is basically how the player acts.

Honestly it's really easy even if vampire rules state that only human blood sates their hunger and once they start feeding they go into a frenzy until the person is dead, just feed only on hostiles, considering in most games you're gonna get into a fight every five minutes this is pretty easy to accomplish.

I've had an idea rolling in my head of a guy that basically becomes a fixer since he feeds on vamps that get out of line, and you're a stronger vamp based on either age or vamp blood in you. But drinking too much vamp blood makes you go a bit batty.
Though I'm fairly certain I'm just stealing from OWoD.

I played a paladin that accidentally got turned into a vampire towards the end of his first campaign. The rest of the time he was desperately fighting the need to feed (solution came in the form of vials willingly donated by the party barbarian) and trying to find a cure for his vampirism. Eventually ascended to minor godhood under Bahamut of all things, and is now a patron of repentant undead. Casting Turn Undead was always nerveracking, though.

Possibly because those vampires needed to look after their humans. As immortal monsters themselves, they give the regular humans a much better shot at surviving while Sorin goes around and trolls everyone in the multiverse.

Yes. But for the wrong reasons.

Pic related

Dhampirs (human/vampire hybrids) are generally the way to go. Most settings go by daywalker rules, meaning they are about as sensitive to sunlight as someone with delicate skin, and are weakened in terms of magical abilities.

I don't know. Could you repeat the question?

this is already a thing.

>BTFOs Lahmia fucking shits
>slays greenskins, beastmen, chaos warriors, anything and anyone
>possibly the greatest swordsman in the Old World
>never willingly feeds on the innocent, only criminals and worthy foes
>freed himself from the curse, aspiring countless others to attempt the same
Abhorash was a bro.

>bro with the knightest of knights, gilles le breton
blood dragons are A-OK

yes. Pic related

>resurrect herohammer bullshit with the End Times
>Nagash, maximum sue Archaon, Eternity King Malekith, Karl Franz Ascendant, the works
>still don't release rules or a model for the greatest undead warrior in the history of the setting
W H Y
H
Y

>Abhorash never got ruined by modern GW writing
there is always a silver lining

Vampire Hunter D

Althought D is a Dampyr rather than a full Vampire

this

I've had a player play a Good-Aligned Vampire once. During daylight they would act through a Familiar while a party member would use their Coffin as a weapon. During night they would aid the party with interrogations and actively assist in combat. The Vampiric powers weren't actually a problem as much as the ungodly knowledge they gained in their Unlife. While it was useful for moving the plot along at times it was pretty inconvenient when they could just discover the True Name of any God with out even picking up a die, but Munchkining was a theme of the campaign by that point and there were other PCs that were much bigger threats.

Tl;Dr Depends on the System, so long as Vampires aren't God-Slayers by default just roleplay it well.

You need to establish some things that make it possible first.

Most importantly how much they need to feed. If you have a setting where vamps only need to feed once a week or so under normal conditions, and only take small enough amounts of blood to not do any permanent harm to the human, that's one step.

The vampire's feeding being painless or even enjoyable enough that the human doesn't notice or doesn't mind makes it even easier.

Would be very easy to then have a vampire who only feeds as needed, only on willing donors or else on people without noticing without doing any more damage than maybe a headache.

like the fucking romans