MtG Standard General Thread

Vague Hope Edition.

>Playing
>Brewing
>Hating

So does anyone think that a balanced and varied format could come out of the bannings? It feels like we're in that naive period where everyone's bumming around with shitty brews until reality slams home and something like Mardu Vehicles rises to the top of the pile.

Other urls found in this thread:

starcitygames.com/events/coverage/patrick_sullivan_on_game_desig.html
mtggoldfish.com/deck/824933#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dominaria better have counterspell/mana vault/mana crypt/lightning bolt and other powerful spells.

maybe vampire tokens will be good, my ramunaap red is a local hated deck, energy reignbs supreme in my local meta

The idea that powerful spells can be balanced by both people having access to them is an alien idea to R&D I'm pretty sure.

I don't need vault or crypt, but counterspell, bolt, path, thoughtseize, noble heirarch is pretty much the candyland scenario

>Playing
4 Spell Pierce
4 Unsummon
4 Siren Stormtamer
4 Grasping Scoundrel
4 Warkite Marauder
4 Kitesail Corsair
4 Fathom Fleet Captain
4 Lookout's Dispersal
3 Ruin Raider
3 Dreamcaller Siren

>mfw cucks soyboys and bugmen don't realise how to build a tempo deck and jam Hostage Taker and Scarab God into pirates

Sad really.

It's hillarious and sad to see how much the power level has dropped

>bant humans
>suddenly we’re not ok with one deck formats so we’re going to BAN STANDARD CARDS
how about, and here’s a novel idea, designing better fucking sets
I’m sure a team of 20 fa/tg/uys could sit in a room for two hours and come up with more balanced and interesting sets than wizards at this point. Fuck standard, the decks are all boring midrangey garbage now. Bring back caw blade

Going to try that blue aura deck from hareruya. Thinking of a sideboard now but my meta is all jank so i may just have to play it by ear.

Bolt will never happen. Having bolt in standard would make red the only playable color unless all red creatures are shit and all other creatures riduculously good. The other modern staple spells don't buff their colors nearly as much as bolt buffs red.

Print Counterspell and Giant Growth.

U gets Counterspell
R gets Bolt
G gets Giant growth
B gets Reanimate
W gets some stupid 2 CMC gain 7 life spell

Healing Salve is technically the anti Bolt card in white.

That's a shitty spell. Give em 5 life for 1 white at instant speed.

Would reanimate by itself be of any use in standard?

That doesn't protect your creatures from a bolt.

5 life or 5 toughness until end of turn.

I don't think that would help. The problem with bolt is that it advances the gameplan of red too much. No other spell synergises with a color as much as bolt does with red. Balancing other colors so that they can deal with bolt can't be done with a few spells.
Standard could easily handle counterspell. The reason wizards don't print it is that it would force them to design blue cards that aren't counter variants. Currently blue decks need to make decicions on witch counters to include, with counterspell this woud not happen.
Blossoming defence is better than giant growth.

Bring back Rancor.

Technically it's

W gets healing salve
G gets giant growth
R gets lightning bolt
B gets dark ritual
U gets ancestral recall

Either way, W is just as fucked

fuck my creatures

Are they cute?

>tfw dominaria is released, they're all here, but the big five are banned in standard

not after a lightning bolt

The problem is a lack of risk and reward. You play a Torrential Gearhulk and flashback a Glimmer in your opponent's end step after holding up multiple counterspells, then your opponent removes it. Boo fucking hoo you're still up 2 cards. Compare this to 7 years ago when Baneslayer was doing the rounds. Sometimes you'd drop Baneslayer and it'd win you the game. Then sometimes you'd drop Baneslayer, it'd eat a Doom Blade, and you'd be losing. You had to sculpt the game to a point where your opponent was out of resources to deal with this huge game winning threat.

starcitygames.com/events/coverage/patrick_sullivan_on_game_desig.html

Recall is reserved though.

I will accept brainstorm and a shuffle mechanic as a substitute.

ramunap red and energy will just be replaced by some other equally annoying and bullshit deck. honestly energy is still pretty fucking powerful and red wasnt really hurt that much either though red is definitely not going to be as prevalent

standard is a pile of horse shit anyway. unless your taking some budget meme deck to FNM for giggles there is no reason to play it over any other format

Are you an idiot? Do you think they didn't consider that? This isn't some online game you can fix with a patch. They cannot print cards to fix issues.

Of fucking course preventing is better than curing. But when you go to a doctor and his reply is "tough luck pal have you tried not getting ill", that's not fucking useful at all, is it?

They can either let standard be a fucking shitpool for a year, causing people to stop playing standard completely, or they can do the one thing in their power to fix it (banning cards)

>banning a land that gives an aggro burn deck late game reach is going too far
>banning lands that just tap for mana is a-ok

Stop being cheeky you know why they were banned

>This isn't some online game you can fix with a patch
29/09/2017 Hostage Taker has received errata to prevent it from targeting itself. The correct Oracle wording appears above.

>let standard be a fucking shitpool for a year

Energy standard wasn't a bad environment at all. They banned Energy enablers because no one was buying new sets because they weren't assed to print new cards good enough to topple off Energy. And then they ban burn because it's alienating new players.

MTG may die when the new company buys it ( depending on who it is my money is on Warner Brothers ). Just saying. Then you can all shut the fuck up.

They banned energy enablers because people got tired of playing a two deck format.

What they did here was a "Blanket nerf" because it was another standard nerf, people would and are getting pissy about losing value when they hit some of the cheapest cards in the decks that were problems. Lots of people wanted cub or hydra banned, especially hydra, but with the nerf they made to energy, it blanket nerfs him my starving the player of energy overflow that you may be able to kill the hydra more now than before, and aether, c'mon, it was too perfect of fixing and 4 color should never be allowed to be constant. And for ramunap red, they could have banned others but they didn't want people bitching they cucked a deck, they just kneecapped it, while making way for other decks to compete. althought ramunap red is technically dead, it is still red rush

So I'm guessing not many people are showing up to FNM tonight, about how long should I give it before going back because people need to fix or change their decks?
I haven't been to an FNM in like 2 months, actually. There's just no drive to.

noob here, why is Ranumap broken? Because of the 2 damage thing?

It's not, WOTC wanted to preemptively hit RDW so it wasn't just that deck decimating everything, because it was energies only opponent.
IIRC the argument is that it's a strictly better mountain in almost every scenario and it provides the deck too much range.

It's interesting that they hit RDW now when they didn't hit Mardu Vehicles after the cat ban.

By the way Mardu Vehicles is still a standard deck.

Ramunap isn't broken. They wanted to ban something from it to guarantee a change in the meta. Ramunap ruins is good because it's a land that turns into a burn spell in the late game. One way to beat read aggro decks is to stall the game untill they run out of fuel, ruins makes sure they don't. Ruins was the best choice for a ban to nerf ramunap red, because removing it doesn't change how the deck plays, it just lowers the win percentage by making late game kills more difficult.

Abrade keeps mardu vehicles in check.

>Removal keeps threats in check
Hahaha.

Path of Mettle seems to be a good replacement for it from the standard MODO testings, having a dirt land be alongside a rare that does the same thing at cheaper repeatable cost would be too powerful for standard, and they want the new set to shine more.

I was playing this list from sbmtg because I'm new and I could afford it

mtggoldfish.com/deck/824933#paper

But with the new bans, I've got eight slots to fill. Any recommendations? Would I be fine just using basics instead of Ramunap?

Replace the Ferocidons with Forerunners, Ramunaps with Abrades

Path of Mettle and make it RW dinos

I have 50 of them in store, just in case they ever get unbanned.
They will get unbanned, r-right?

VAMPIRES
A
M
P
I
R
E
S

>Banning a 4 Mana shock
Shit format

Remunap shits btfo

>Someone who’s never played again RR.

Ruins gave them inevitability. It didn’t matter if you stabalised because they were dealing at least 2 damage to you every turn after that point no matter what you draw. Often you’d manage to clear their board, clog up the ground and find yourself on 6 life but it was too late by then.

Yeah, they will always have deserts and will never have to sacrifice it to itself, and after sacrificing a land they will always have the 4 Mana to pay. Wow

He's saying that the format is shit, and he's right.
5 mana and sac a land for 2 damage is viable and gets banned? How fucking slow is the control in this format, come on?

Point at this user and laugh

>If I say it sarcastically it can't possibly be true.
Yeah, like any retard on Veeky Forums would ever pull that trick...

can anyone help me build a G/W human token deck that's like the humans have shroud and doubling season plus cathar's crusade?
After that i know i need commander's authority and rally the townsfolk but what should I do to survive when it's a slow draw or if I'm getting locked out of attacking / casting?
I just want it for legacy fun and I'll prolly have moxes n lotuses proxies

>lightning bolt
I've read that historically, most standards with Bolt were complete shit. Can anyone weigh in on this?

nigger what? Innistrad mirrodin was fucking amazing.

Why is Ramunap ruins broken?

it isn't new players are just stupid. Why do you think we had to get rid of regenerate?

>I don't understand how powerful lands that are also spells are

How does it feel to be terrible at Magic?

Si, you can't prove my point wrong? Ok

It isn't, really. It's very powerful but by no means broken. The red bans were just a way of leveling the post-energy format instead of RDW steamrolling everything.

>most

>5 Mana and a land for 2 damage is broken, why can't you understand that!!
>Unironically saying that

After quitting Magic 8 years ago and botting at the Pre-Release, I got this cardboard itch again and bought myself last Saturday the Ramunap Red deck for 100$. Now I'm trying to figure out, where to go from this position.

So:
>Playing - all kinds of mono-red and Pirate decks on xMage
>Brewing - the best way out of my self-digged shithole
>Hating - equally myself and WotC

The conclusion is at this point: Ramunap Red seems to work just fine after I added 2x Chandra and still it feels like I fucked up. Let's see how the deck performs at FNM tomorrow.

ITT: kitchen table players try and fail to evaluate tournament level play

Yes, but "complete" is an odd way of spelling the word "the"

fuck off tryhard bugman

It's not broken but it makes Ramunap Red too good. It's damage with minimal opportunity cost that becomes card advantage late-game by letting you turn useless lands into damage. Combine that with a very underpowered Standard and I can see it making Ramunap Red too strong. Still a hasty ban though.

Maybe white could have something like

W
Instant
Creatures you control are indestructible until end of turn

Cards that deserved to get banned from Standard by virtue of them purely existing:

>Smuggler's Copter (Too cheap, too easy to enable, and goes in literally everything.)
>Aetherworks Marvel (Should have come in tapped, otherwise is completely uninteractive.)

Cards that deserved to get banned by virtue of design being retarded:

>Attune with Aether (It was easier to go 4c than to go 2c, and it enabled a 2 drop to simply run away with the game, but ultimately shouldn't have been a problem by itself.)
>Felidar Guardian (How the fuck did you miss CopyCat Combo, WotC? Are you retards?)

Cards that did not deserved to get banned:

>Rogue Refiner (A good value balanced by the fact that it was hard to cast. Turns out, Attune makes it not hard to cast anymore.)
>Rampaging Ferocidon (An unreasonably pushed card that was a solid answer and basically Red's ONLY answer to lifegain tokens decks, but ultimately didn't deserve the axe. Probably should have costed 1RR or had its menace cut off, but whatever.)
>Ramunap Ruins (Fuck your stupid faces, Wizards.)

Cards that did not get banned which deserved to get banned:

>Fucking nothing, stop banning everything you possibly can you duplicitous cunts. Just because the meta doesn't look like what you want it to look like doesn't mean you can ban it in a certain direction. Bans are to cover up your mistakes and that's fucking it. Your job on influencing standard is supposed to end the moment the sets drop.

Tried out that Saffronolive monoblack monument deck that wins w/ Marionette Master. Kinda slow, but hopefully a splash of blue and a Tezzeret or three will speed it up some.

>Spending mana and land cards at a point in the game where they are otherwise useless at a minimal cost in deckbuilding
>In a deck that has proven powerful and well-constructed
>5 mana for too dmage WHAT A RPOFF!!

Banned because this is too easy to flip and deals another 2 damage, giving red even more lategame edge.

>Playing RDW
>Literally getting to 5 lands and not having already won the game
>Consistently getting to 5 lands in fucking RDW.
Week lad

gonna mirror basically everything these posters said. RR and Sulferic Dino ban hurts the deck a fair amount, but hazoret and the hasty creature curve is still there. deck will still put up results in some capacity.
What I'm curious about now is whether or not a boros splash would be bad for the deck. In particular Ill be looking at path of mettle. Is this combo a little too cute?

They probably should have waited to see how it actually performed in a meta without energy, but whatever. Its better to fix mistakes than let them hang forever.

Yes because you land it turn 3 instead and flip it instantly with either monkey fanatic or the other one drop red has.
Its already available on MODO and does well.

It's a whole different deckbuilding dynamic. In RR you just put Ruins in your deck and sometimes it won games for you while asking very little else in terms of construction.

Stuff like what you've posted could be very powerful, but you'll have to warp your deck around it. Potentially much higher cost.

I don't play standard, but your image doesn't make sense. Tolarian Academy and Jace, the Anus Sculptor are broken, we all get that. How in the fuck is a four mana shock that can hit all opponents is considered broken? I can see it's use in multiplayer, but it's still not broken.

>Every game goes EXACTLY according to plan
>If it doesn't it's your fault
>Having contingency plans means you're bad

>>If it doesn't it's your fault
Is literally your fault for playing a format where you don't have brainstorm/ponder/preordain

>Does not know the joke
>I have made myself a fool
>Steel touches my flesh
Forgive me, ancestors.

>the deck is literally named Ramunap Red
>tryhards seriously asking if the card was really that good

Who would have thought having 4+ shocks to face stored in your land base made burn decks really good.

Affinity

>durr repeatable 2 damage isnt ban worthy
RDW tends to curve out at around 4 (I don't actually know, but it's aggro and aggro doesn't tend to have high costs), so Ramunap makes use of the lands that are just sitting there. Even shocking 3 times is 6 damage. It's RDW, so Hazoret the Pervert is always online and if she swings twice is 10 damage. So then all you need to do is 1 shock and 1 weenie attack and you win. gg ez game ez life.

It's still stupid to kneejerk ban the deck out like that. But what do I know? I'm just some nerd looking into UG Murrfolk

In order for us to have bolt in standard we'd need a bunch of great reprints in all of the other colors and red would have to only get bolt.

It's possible in Core 19, but I doubt that's the direction they want to go in.

>The idea that powerful spells can be balanced by both people having access to them is an alien idea to R&D I'm pretty sure.
This is what they should learn from current standard though. The only reason a card like Attune with Aether would be ban worthy is because they fucked up on archetype balancing, not the card's individual power level.

Some of those Big Treasure lists look promising. I kind of want to brew one of those.

Not if it gets Mana Tithe

>Comparing punishing fire to that shit
>Impliying people actually uses punishing fire as burn and not as removal
>Getting punishing fire online requires 3 Mana instead of 5.
I don't know if retard or just pretending to be

>But what do I know? I'm just some nerd looking into UG Murrfolk
No, you're a retard looking for a fight.

Catch these hands nigga

Only if they give me a handjob, user.