Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=55rM2_XvcT4
youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810
db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?ope=2&cid=8824
youtube.com/watch?v=qgombsd-QJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Beats me.

What does it do?

Jewish Vase allows you to draw two cards from your deck.

You've got my number, but fuck you for calling it.

The simplest terms I can think to put it is:

Your deck requires 40 cards. Imagine you could have a 12 card deck - your 4 best cards, 3 copies each. You'd probably win every game against those 40-card deck losers, since you're always drawing your best cards and deploying them.

Every card you put in your deck makes you less likely to draw those game winning spells. So you replace them with some themed cards to bide your time until you DO draw into them. So it makes sense that a 15 card deck is weaker than a 12, and a 20 weaker than a 15. The important fact is that a 37 card deck is stronger than a 40.

Now imagine Pot of Greed just said "draw 1 card" instead of 2. What it would essentially do is let you get take your 40 card deck down to a 37, because every time you drew Pot of Greed, you would immediately exchange it for the next card.

So if it were draw 1 card, it would immediately be banned because it turns any deck from 40 into a 37 card deck. And if at draw 1 it's too powerful, then at draw 2 it must be even more powerful.

Another very simple way to put it is this: when it comes to making games fun, the key is to make interesting decisions. Pot of Greed has no interesting decision: you play it, you always benefit. It's not like a burn spell where you choose a monster to burn, or a monster that you choose "should I put this out now? Or wait for him to use up his monster kills..." Pot of Greed doesn't make games more fun. It makes them less fun.

>So if it were draw 1 card, it would immediately be banned because it turns any deck from 40 into a 37 card deck.

But Upstart Goblin is Limited, not Banned.

Came into this thread on a lark, having no understanding of MTG. Found this very informative. Thankyou, user.

I wasn't with you until that last paragraph. Since everyone would run 3 PoG, everyone would be on an even playing field running 34 card decks.
You're right about it not being interesting though. The dozens of cards printed to replace PoG were more interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=55rM2_XvcT4

>rata

Everyone being on an even playing field doesn't change the fact that it's a card you'll always want to play right away because there is almost never a downside to playing it ever.

High level Yugioh play is based around setting up the board in such a way that your opponent can't counter your board state. Any card that lets you draw for free essentially lets you set up your board state faster than the gameplay flow is intended by both reducing the number of cards in your deck and letting you cycle through them faster... which is fine when it comes with a price, but Pot of Greed doesn't.

Why was it ever taken off the ban list?

It wasn't.

This is yugioh

That's a really good way of putting it, thanks user!

cause it essentially lets you play with a 30 card deck instead of 40 not that it really matters cause you can just tutor for all your shit in yugioh anyway

yugioh is shit

To be fair the concept also works with MTG card draw.

Upstart Goblin also has the drawback of giving life points to your opponent

There's also the whole free extra card in hand at no cost. And there's not really a cost to play cards in yugioh (or youd build your deck in a way that the cost doesn't matter).

Why was this card so controversial?

Upstart Goblin
Pros
>draw 1 card
Cons
>opponent gets 1000 life points
Jar of Greed
Pros
>draw 1 card
Cons
>is a fucking trap card

There's the potential risk of losing by running out of cards to draw, but honestly if you can't set up a winning board state early on the game when you're cycling through your cards rapidly, you probably wern't going to be able to do it later when your opponent has had more time to set up THEIR board-state.

Fucking saved

In Magic, at least, the card draw has a cost beyond the card itself.

youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810

So why does graceful charity also end up on banlists, if it actually does have drawbacks?

The jar cards are controversial because they essentially reset the game. Way too powerful.

Because drawing cards is just that strong. He just explained how in a 40 card deck only 12 are actually worth it. Discarding any of the 28 bad cards to get any of the 12 good ones is an easy price to pay.

Sending cards to the graveyard is an upside

Pretty much every staple card goes on the list.

discarding cards enables reanimator decks, so it's not a drawback at all

It LOOKS like it has drawbacks, but most of the time it really doesn't. It still allows you to cycle through your deck extremely quickly for cards you need, and the "cost" of discarding two cards afterwards isn't really super relevant because you often won't need all 40 cards in your deck to set up a winning board-state.

At it's worst it's still "Draw one card"
At it's best when you have shitty cards in hand it's "Draw three cards, trash two filler cards"

The Graveyard is basically a second-deck, given how many cards and monster effects interact with and let you play cards from the Graveyard.

Graveyard =/= Removed From Play.

nah, it because stupid looks exists. Morphing Jar/#2 are fine. Cyber Jar and Fiber Jar are the worst ones and even then Cyber Jar could be unbanned because it's too slow.

A lot of decks run Desires at 2/3.

Desire actually has a appropriate cost though. Banishing 10 cards, some of which may be cards you WANT, is a hefty price to pay for draw advantage. Especially considering banished cards are alot harder to get back or "use" than ones in the graveyard.

Running 3 pots of desire in a 40 card deck would leave you with 7 cards leftover, and no real choice in what those 7 cards would be.

You really only want to resolve 1 Desires after you've done all your searching to draw into extenders or traps/hand traps.

Pot of Desires reminds me of Demonic Consultation.

Is this useful for something?

Question.

Why is Yu-Gi-Oh art so fucking terrible?

if someone is playing mill or you mill something you needed by accident.

It is but you can alter it like mtg, I plan on doing it to a deck that I ordered.

they do need new artists.

I tried my best

>yugioh babbies discover card advantage

If drawing 2 cards at no cost is overpowered then how come pic related never got banned?

Because it's mother fucking Bill

yugioh kids tell me its art is better than mtg

Because you're talking about a totally different game with a completely different card economy and the ability to put alot fewer cards into play at once.

The Pokemon Card Game isn't won by setting up a winning "board state" like Yugioh is. There are advantageous board states, but due to the simpler nature of the board, they usually aren't hard shutdowns like in Yugioh. You will never get a board state in Pokemon that renders it impossible for your opponent to play anything.

You can use Pokemon Breeder to summon Blastoise, give him a bunch of energy and oneshot your opponent's pokemon.

>green pot is a jew
>purple pot is hitler
What the fuck yugioh

>60 damage at most
>100 hp on the card in question.

What about Pot of Greed looks Jewish to you?

The greed of course

Rain Dance decks were a well-known deck type early in the TCG's history, and they were counterable. 60 damage is not high for a final eveolution card, especially when it takes 5 energy cards to achieve.

user 60 damage wont oneshot SHIT

There are literally stage one grass type pokemon (with a resistance to water) that can tank a fully-charged Hydro-Pump.

STAGE ONE POKEMON.

I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS

db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?ope=2&cid=8824

yes I've been going through every card advantage thing in this fucking game.

If I cared enough to play it, I think I could built a decent reanimator deck.

yugioh art reminds me of back in the day when they'd just put any weird thing on a magic card.
part of that has to do with naming conventions. So a magic card either has a name like "Extinguish" which will be coldly drawn tableau paintings of something relevant or some ridiculous named character like "Goldug, Bear Warden" and a portrait.
Yugioh art follows their naming conventions, which are more in line with old mtg card names like "Alabaster potion" or "Sorrow's path"

Even Removed From Play =/= Removed From Play anymore. There are too many cards that give you access to cards that have been rfp

If you want a turbo-draw reanimator deck, I'd recommend something like this for the core:

>3 Call of the Haunted
>3 Back to the Front
>3 Into the Void
>3 Card of Demise
>1 Upstart Goblin
>1 Foolish Burial
>If your reanimation targets are Level 8, 2-3 Trade-In (depending on how many reanimation targets you're running)
>1 Solemn Warning
>2-3 Solemn Strike

I saw trade In, would that be any good? I looked into those Eathbound Immortal dudes, they looked pretty rad as reanimator targets.

The Earthbound Immortals have the main problem of being vulnerable both to monster removal on themselves with no protection effects and spell removal on whatever your active field spell is. You can neutralize the first issue with Mound of the Bound Creator. If you run them, make sure to take advantage of the support they get from their type. Notably, Cusillu can be revived with Ayers Rock Sunrise and Ccaryhua can be milled with Snake Rain.
Generally, my favorite reanimator decks take advantage of Arkbrave Dragon and various 1-off level 7-8 dragons like Divine Dragon Lord Felgrand, Amorphage Goliath, and Cracking Dragon for disruption.

Fuck, didn't mean Cracking Dragon, that's a different list. Meant Pandemic Dragon.

Alright, I'll have to look into that, they just had nuke ablites and I'm not sure if it works like the legend rule in MTG. for example if I play the one that nukes the field when it dies will I get to keep my new guy?

No idea how the stack works on this game at all.

I remember when Yu-Gi-Oh! was new. I had some knowledge of MtG at the time and I was looking at some of these spells and when I realized they cost nothing to cast I knew this game was gonna be some crazy shit.

>not play Thunderclap Skywolf Turbo

youtube.com/watch?v=qgombsd-QJY

The way "you can only control 1 [insert thing here]" effects in Yugioh work is that you simply cannot even attempt to summon a second one if you already control one.
The way the chain (the YGO name for the stack) works is as follows:
>Player A does something (summons a monster, activates a spell/trap/effect, etc.)
>Player B gets a chance to respond
>If B responds, A gets a chance to respond to B, and so on
>If B does not respond, A may respond to themselves
>Repeat until neither player responds
>Then, the chain resolves, with the most recent part of the chain resolving first
>Any effects triggered by events in the chain are delayed until afterwards
>If an effect says "when" in the timing (as opposed to if) and the effect is optional ("you can" as opposed to simply listing an effect), it will "mistime" unless it was triggered by the first thing to happen in the chain (the last thing to resolve)
There's more to it than that, but those are the basics. Also, you can only respond to something with a card/effect of equal or greater "spell speed".
>Spell Speed 1: Summoning a monster, activating most monster effects, or activating a non-"Quick Play" (lightning bolt icon) spell
>Spell Speed 2: Non-Counter (curved arrow icon) traps, Quick Play spells, effects labeled "Quick Effect", effects that say "during either player's turn"
>Spell Speed 3: Counter traps

I remember running a mill/burn deck combo that involved Morphing Jar #2 and some torture room trap card whose name I forget that made people take damage from whenever they drew a card by a card's effect. I also played Bad Reaction to Simochi so they couldn't heal anything.

I didn't win very often, but I sure had fun.

Most of it is done by Japanese artists, so there is a lot of the anime/manga style in the cards, which many don't like

What the fuck was his problem?

Unironically great card. The design wasn't that good (looks like some 90s CGI) but the effect was such a blast to pull off.

He has none. He's a very nice bug.

This is a good thread

Fuck, that actually came out really nice.

because the one in the op was actually done in ms paint.

Getting off work in like an hour, down to take some requests.

Now my phone wallpaper kek

Malevolent Nuzzler

perfect.

here ya go

I think I'll use this as a proxy

Can I get a source on these?

user, I think this thread is the source. You are witnessing the birth of a new meme. A miracle.

1. pot of greed
2.morphing jar
3.man eater bug
4. call of the haunted
5, dark hole

OC my dude. Didn't make OP though.

Mirror force or polymerization please

Best cat has to get in on this

This is more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

You are a master of your craft, my friend. Keep up the good work.

I'm the OP. You can tell because I used a thick, black outline everywhere on Pot of Greed. Did you make every other one?

Decided to slack off at work to get it done early.

Yeah

Nobleman of Crossout
Yata-Garasu
Soulswap (duel masters card)

>that finger
Hello, ET

OC donut steel

>jenga
On the one hand, that's hilarious.
On the other hand, his original name wasn't gibberish.

Jinzo isn't gibberish? What is it supposed to mean then?

hahaha