Anybody play Talislanta around here?

Anybody play Talislanta around here?

Immagonna proselytize a bit. What is TALISLANTA?

An exotic post-apoc fantasy world inspired by the fantasy novels of Jack Vance, and by other sources such as H.P. Lovecraft’s The Dreamlands, Michael Moorcock’s Elric novels, and The Travels of Marco Polo.

The game is set in a strange world of twin suns and seven moons that's overflowing with exotic peoples, places, and creatures. The time is the New Age, a Renaissance-like period 600 years after The Great Disaster, a cataclysm that marked the fall of the Space Wizards of the Archaen Age.

Talislanta has seas of glass, phytomantic bird-people, tattooed clone warriors, transmutation wizards who use quintessence to change storms into crystals, sindarans with two brains, warring cultists who have taken over entire nations, elemental demons, ice schooners running on glaciers, windships manned by astromancers, beastmen mutants riding two-headed mini-dragons, and a whole lot more stuff that's a combo of every prog-rock album cover you've ever seen.

All the books are free, legally: talislanta.com/?page_id=5
Facebook group: fb.com/groups/2211928311
G+ group: plus.google.com/communities/116551534357549477172
Rpg.net review: rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10196.phtml

Also, the old books are being put up on DriveThruRPG for print-on-demand.
drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/12115/Steve-Sechi

Other urls found in this thread:

futurolog.wordpress.com/
futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/10/27/a-brief-history-of-magic-systems-in-talislanta/
sunday-skypers.podbean.com/category/talislanta/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some of the wacky races (archetypes) in the game.

Best game that never gets discussed on Veeky Forums

Hear! Hear!

What's your favorite race?

Matt, is that you?

Yeah it's me, Matt. What's up?

Hah! Haven't seen you in a while. Group still meeting at the university?

Do not listen to pretenders, man. This is Veeky Forums.

Shut up, you bastard.

Yes, E. Big group now, lots of fun. How's the new digs?

Its pretty cool. Mostly coursework and video games, but winter has been surprisingly mild over here. It is funny that Talislanta is obscure enough on Veeky Forums that its players can identify each other by name

Hah, yes, but we did meet on the Veeky Forums meetup thread so it follows. I don't think anyone else I know or who plays Tal visits here.

Winter has been brutal for us this year.

You playing any good RPGs out there?

Probably Thrall, favorite edition would be 4th I really love that magic system.

Haven't got a tabletop group going, so I filled in with Divinity: Original Sin 2. It is pretty good.

Anyone know of any good campaign podcasts/blogs for Talislanta? Besides what is on their main site

My nigs.

One True Talislanta is, of course, 2e with 3e's magic system. Alternatively, 3e with 2e's lore.

Podcasts no, but there is a recent Tal blog with homebrew stuff here:

futurolog.wordpress.com/

Good choice! Fun game. I've modded Skyrim for maximum gains, looks amazing.

Excellent choice. My preference too, though most of the Tal community prefers 4E.

What're the differences from 4e?

Mostly the magic system. The power level of starting PCs rose through the editions. The magic system was revised almost every edition and became more complex and flexible over time.

1/2/3e is spell-based with some magical schools introduced in 3e.

4e/5e use "modes" of magic which can be modulated to produce many different spells/effects. It requires a bit more understanding of the system to use properly but can be very fun. It's similar but less complex than the Ars Magica system (which came out around the same time).

There's a complete breakdown of the differences here:

futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/10/27/a-brief-history-of-magic-systems-in-talislanta/

There are some actual play sessions here:

sunday-skypers.podbean.com/category/talislanta/

Thanks!

>There's a character named Suk

Aaman or Dhuna, depending on how much or what type of a dick I want to be.

Dhuna witches don't have dicks, last I checked.

check again