How do you do a good redemption arc?

How do you do a good redemption arc?

The character can't get redeemed when shit goes poorly for them if they only abandon their evil ways when those ways bring them to ruin then they've not sacrificed anything, let their greed and cruelty bring them everything they've ever wanted, and then when they turn their back on it, it means something

pic extremely related

>if they only abandon their evil ways when those ways bring them to ruin then they've not sacrificed anything
They don't sacrifice anything because THEY'VE ALREADY LOST EVERYTHING. The ruin lets them see the error of their ways and then begin working to change them.

When it ends in heroic tragedy, but not a totally crushing dark end.

Jesus dude, learn how to write a sentence.

Redemption doesn't exist. Not in fantasy, and not here.

Conclude the arc but don't completely close the loop.

what a handsome man

It's fucking bullshit that he lost, I thought this company was supposed to be better than WWE

You have to make the character likable enough that the party actually still wants them around after the big climactic confrontation.

When it ends in utter, crushing tragedy.

There was one game where an evil knight was turned back to good through the love of a good woman. While climbing to safety, my PC stabbed him and told him: "You don't remember me, but I remember you. The village you burned was mine. Die, and be damned forever."

I mean, I wasn't going to forgive him.

>Pic is reply.

But honestly, the extent of depravity a character can perform while still eventually being redeemed is directly related to the quality of the author; aka, really good authors can redeem really shitty characters.

As for how, it's simple; you find a facet of the character that is redeemable, or at least acceptably grimy, and start from there. You hurl them into a hero's journey, pitting this single aspect against the myriad of depravities the character is tempted by, until they're forced to confront they really don't like who they are. And at that point, you determine if the character has the strength of will to begin redeeming themselves, or fall once and forever more into the mire.

The best part of a redemption arc is the doubt from others that there really is a change.

Scrooge like arcs are my guilty pleasure, but that subjectivity of the good doesn't wash away the bad, nor the bad the good makes for good story like yours.

genuinely no offense meant man but that is some textbook edgelord shit right there

In story it was Naito's first time challenging for the title in the main event of the biggest show and he made a mistake which cost him. Out of storyline he is so loved he doesn't need to win all the time or have the belt while Okada kinda does.

Between them it is currently Okada 5 - 3 Naito, but before this they had always traded wins back and forth. As says, this arc is over, but the story most certainly isn't.

>he is so loved he doesn't need to win all the time
I hate that argument, it's true but I still hate it

Is there a cute chick cosplaying Suzuki too?

Evil person who was swayed by good is guided back to the light of the darkness by a cute girl.

not really

I don't know of a Misu one sadly, that girl made a really cute EVIL though.

First off, you figure out what the villain's primary motivations and beliefs are and how that puts them at odds with the protagonists (party).

Then, you introduce something that shakes their world view and causes them to experience doubt; whether that's meeting someone they care about in spite of them being of a separate walk of life, or realizing that the enemy are not faceless goons but actually people with lives outside of the battlefield.

From there, have that doubt begin to grow as this new information causes the villain to experience cognitive dissonance as he's forced to confront the fact that his ambitions are less than savory and the fact that he is, in fact, the villain of this story, which will put them at a crossroads.

Finally, during a penultimate moment, have the villain choose one road and have them walk down it for a bit. Whether they stay good or not will depend on what they're introduced to and whether this info will shake their worldview again.

Redemption is possible, it's just that you're too weak to acknowledge your failings and push forward in spite of the pain.

Pic related.