>No Shadowrun
So, any good ones you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!8pRURayK!Kj16fd7nQhEcaId8hKD4oA
youtu.be/RlhXUb9F0eE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe The Sprawl?

Seconding.

If you don't like PbtA format, I've heard some good things about Interface Zero for Savage Worlds (and some bad things as well, but...)

Honestly I don't really know. It actually kind of triggers me Shadowrun is the most popular cyberpunk game since it's 1) creatively bankrupt even by the standards of genre fiction and 2) has everything I typically like avoiding when playing sci-fi games.

So I dunno man. When I run cyberpunk I usually use a generic system like Savage Worlds or GURPs and homebrew in the stuff I want.

INFINITY just had an RPG cone out, though it's generally lighter on the grungy parts of cyberpunk. Still there, but a lot more "corporations use spec ops teams to dick each other over while strangling each other for power under an omniscient AI as an alien fleet closes in"
Nomads are cyberpunk: the factionn and ALEPH is posthumanism and cyborg/designer cloning: the faction.

PanO is scary corporations, Yu Jing is oppressive police state, Haqq is a kind of Philip K. Dick/Dune-ish religious enlightened society, and there are a few other factions and sub factions

Any clue where I can find a pdf of infinity?

Check the modiphius ent site, or corvus beli.
I'm too poor to afford it, so I haven't looked, but the tabletop game has free rules, and the fluff is mostly on the corvus belli site.

Don't know if the rpg book is free or not, honestly. I'd assume it isn't free, but asking around someone might upload a pdf

mega.nz/#F!8pRURayK!Kj16fd7nQhEcaId8hKD4oA

Taken from the Infinity General, no less.

This is confusing as fuck, do you need specific miniatures to play this game?

What's wrong with Interface Zero?

Hardly surprising. At least it's something to read while I starve.

But I don't see the full rpg book in there, just the core, expansion (paradiso), the demo for the rpg (no fluff) the op. Icestorm briefing (fluff for a demo/tutorial game) and an artbook

The setting, and I've heard the implant rules are kinda fucked.

In the RPG KS folder, there should be the RPG Core Book and some other bits.

You are looking at the tabletop strategy game most likely.
The new system uses 2d20 and is a lot less confusing looking

Shadowrun

Cyberpunk 2020 obviously.
Also Gurps Cyberpunk is goat.

I also support Cyberpunk 2020 as a good system for cyberpunk settings.

It's not perfect (no system is), but it's fairly light and easy to learn, yet, has some crunch. Everything players need is written on the character sheet. There is nothing that slows down gameplay. In my opinion this is its greatest strength.

The domain where Cyberpunk 2020 is less optimal is netrunning, but this is a problem with almost every cyberpunk game around.

Another cyberpunk game I like is Ex Machina. It's also pretty simple and netrunning is definitely better than in Cyberpunk 2020 or GURPS Cyberpunk.

can you expand on the creatively bankrupt part?

Otherwise, Zaibatsu seems really cool. It's available for free, just google "Zaibatsu cyberpunk rpg angelfire"

Like Cyberpunk 2020 it has a fairly simple and straightforward system.

The setting for ZAIBATSU is 2030 Tokyo, the capital of Japan. This nation is the financial leader of the world. Using developing deep ocean mining techniques it has begun to exploit the resources it hitherto lacked. Japan has much more independance in this respect and has expanded its economic sphere. The Kazan-Retto islands in the Pacific are home to the Amaterasu aquatown. In Korea, Japan has resolutely expanded its operations with the zaibatsu eating up much of the failing economy there during the war. Most of the Korean multinationals are now subsidiaries of the zaibatsu, or do not exist at all. The old Korean Communist Party has begun a terrorist campaign against the capitalist zaibatsu, a move which has allowed the zaibatsu to deploy combat troops around their Korean concerns. Japanese business interests are highest in Korea, the Philippines and Hong Kong which is now a Free Trade Zone. The zaibatsu prop up the Liberal Democrat government of Prime Minister Yasumori Manabe, and organized crime (the Yakuza) is being pushed out of politics by the Special Justice Commission (SJC), funded by the zaibatsu to keep the Yakuza clans out of power.

Picture is unrelated

>It's not perfect (no system is)
Anyone else find it funny that no one ever mentions this unless the system they're talking about is so horribly broken it makes D&D3e look like the epitome of game design?

Maybe you should first tell us what you're looking for. Do you prefer a rule-light system, or do you want heavy crunch? Do you favor a realistic gaming style or do you want to go full cinematic? Do you want a fully-developped background or will you set the game in your own homemade setting?

Not played shadowrun before, what's wrong with it exactly?

Not the user you're replying to.

I only played the first and the third edition and only went briefly through the 5th edition out of pure curiosity, so I'm not an expert on the subject. Personally, what completely turned me off was the sheer quantity of rules. The whole book is 400 or 500 pages long and most of it are just rules and charts. This is way too much for my taste. No Shadowrun 5e for me.

CP2020 is fucking broken anons. IIRC there were no rules to resolve melee attacks BtB.
But some guy took the CP2020 rules and fixed them, turned them into a generic system called Interlock Unlimited. Look it up, it's pretty great.

From my experience Cyberpunk 2020 works fine within its boundaries. This means realistic to semi-realistic characters.

Ex. PCs created with 50 to maximum 60 points for the 9 base stats. Not more than one stat at level 10. No stat lower than level 3. Maximum level for skills is 7 at character creation. Minimum skill level is 1. Not more than 7000eb starting cash.

As soon as you have min-maxed PCs with 10 in their special skill and related stat, plus 10 in a couple of other skills, and a fuckton of equipment, the game starts to fall apart. For this reason I'm pretty dictatorial at character creation.

By the book melee is: Attacker rolls REF + Melee, Fencing, Brawling or Martial Arts (usually punch or kick), and Defender rolls REF + Melee, Fencing, Brawling or Martial Arts (dodge or block). If Attacker rolled higher than Defender, then defender gets hit. If he rolled under, then he missed. Characters can only perform one action per round without penalty. Subsequent actions suffer a cumulative -3 penalty.

Interlock Unlimited is a pile of autistic dogshit. It mixes the worst rules from Cyberpunk 2013 with Cyberpunk 2020 and adds a ton of unnecessary garbage to slow down the system.

man that is hot garbage. Boxy retrofuturistic visuals work well for equipment and hardware, NOT for vehicles.

Shut up, pussy!

Nigga this isn't mad max. I hate sleek apple products as much as the next guy but cars and bikes don't have to look like desk furnitures in order to be cyberpunk, quite the opposite.
Even in 1989 this shit would have looked primitive as hell.

It's real funny how 90% of the supposed "fanart" of that movie (at least the decently high quality stuff) just so happened to have been made a month or two before it came out, and to include the logo in some way.

okay that's more like it.

Who cares? The important thing isn't how stuff looks like or doesn't - style and trends vary. What is important, is that there is a general aesthetic line. In the case of the GitS movie, this is about the only thing they made really good.

The cars featured in the movie are all based on late 1980s / early 1990s cars (Lotus Esprit and Excel, Alfa Romeo SZ...).

Creatively bankrupt: It takes from multiple sources of other work, stuffs it in the setting, and doesn't actually understand why those things worked in the settings it stole them from.

So they took magic and elves and orcs and so on and the lore from Earthdawn, and shoved them into modern day Earth, added augmentations because those are cyberpunk, added decking for the same reasons, then started adding more and more disparate setting points like vampires, zombies, techno-zombie brainjacking, computer mages, evil mages, alien bug invasions from another world, dragons because dragons are cool... and so on and so on. There's little theme or rhyme or reason for half of the stuff to be added except "because it seemed to help other things sell better".

Yeah, Shadowrun. Quit being a sad cunt.

There's literally nothing "really good" about it and certainly not the vehicle designs. The trucks look okay because trucks are supposed to be inelegant, but the rest is just awkward attempts to create a retrofuturistic look by only keeping the least stylish aspects of older vehicle designs.

The general aesthetic line this results in, is desk furnitures.

That's funny cause to me they look mostly based on staplers and VCRs

In any case, it's still a distasteful choice considering that they could have looked into the source material and found plenty of vehicles design that looked plenty retrofuturistic and were actually drawn in the 80s.

Shadowrun is older than Earthdawn, and Earthdawn is supposed to be Shadowrun's universe 1000 years before. Shadowrun also used to have its own aesthetic, mixing classic fantasy elements, with classic cyberpunk elements, as well as Wild West and South American elements. In term of style it had a much more unique style than Cyberpunk 2020, which is a real hodgepodge mix of everything that was done in term of cyberpunk from 1984 to 1996.

Folks get really pissy about orcs and trolls and elves in their cyberpunk. Also the Matrix kinda sucks.

The movie is based on the anime, not on the manga.

Which is a distasteful choice.

And it's actually based on SAC, the two movies and a little bit of the manga. It's a grab-bag of ideas taken from all those versions, so there's no excuse here. Plus, the 95 movie went for a very drab and gritty aesthetic with its designs, the beauty came from the shot composition, lighting, and the quality of the animation, stuff that can't be replicated by a hack director-for-hire. So the ugly vehicle designs of the 95 movie weren't worth trying to imitate.

Man, almost no game ever seems to have good hacking rules.

I know right? Shit either slows the combat to a grinding halt or is just underdeveloped.

Ex Machina has a decent hacking system. The time you invest in the hack and the kind of interface you use gives the basic TN (with neural interface you can perform the hack in seconds or few minutes, with other tools you require minutes to hours, and sometimes days). Then, you do your roll using the systems security rating as modifier. There are also a few options for hacking (brute force, finesse, probing attempts...). Once you're inside the system, you can do different stuff. Based on your margins of success or failure things happen.

Ends of the Matrix for SR4e

CYBERPUNK RPGS
Cyberpunk 2020
Interface Zero
GURPS Cyberpunk
ICE Cyberspace
Underground
Wyred
Technoir
Remember Tomorrow
Karbon
Hunter//Seeker
Zaibatsu
Ex Machina
Neuropolitan
The Sprawl
The Veil
Memory Love Hotel
Corporation

>I don't like this genre mix so it's objectively bad

This guy

I wouldn't mind a bit of crunch.
I think realistic will fit me better.
I have a setting in mind but a full-developed background wouldn't hurt.

Hey I made that image!

But the original was larger... holy shit. I didn't think anyone saved it after I posted it on Veeky Forums around 2010.

Apparently it's blowing up the neurosphere

Cyberpunk 2020 seems to be what you need. Just go with the rulebook. Background is vague enough, rules are simple and can easily be modified to suit YOUR needs (every CP2020 GM modded it to some extend). If you scared of it being too dated, get Hunter//Seeker. It modernized and streamlined a couple of things, but it’s not completely finished, yet.

Alternatively, Interface Zero or GURPS light + GURPS Cyberpunk + GURPS Cyberworld (don’t know if fully compatible, though).

Everything not involving fantasy elements was taken wholesale from Neuromancer. Terms and concepts like "Nuyen", Street Samurai, etc. The game came about because the designers read Gibson's book and decided it needed Elves.

The Infinity Roleplaying game has a streamlined hacking system.

Can you make a brief resumé of it?

Essentially it's set up so that moving from one system to the next is a single check. However, each of those systems can have different hazards that you will want to know about.

Cyberpunk 2026, was it? 2025?

It was a sort-of sequel to Cyberpunk. A nanite plague rewrites the DNA of kids and teenagers, killing adults in hours but leaving the youth with superpowers. It was pretty awesome, not just in terms of the yogangs you could pick for your character but because you could port across grizzled old Cyberpunk 2020 characters as babysitters. It's "smash the state" vibe and emphasis on the Incorporated States of America (and their Corporate cruelties on a scale that would give Alex Jones an aneurysm) would play pretty well given the current state of the White House, just saying.

youtu.be/RlhXUb9F0eE

Corporation

Cybergeneration, set in 2027, is what you're thinking of.

You lost, deal with it. What about Obama, huh? Fucking criminal.

THIS POST IS PROPERTY OF REPUBLICORP

Obama was the one who bailed out Wall Street so they could keep fucking everyone over.

Never mind, I guess that is the original size, but that's not the original file.

Found mine!