Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Paint the Town Red Edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread

Which class would you dread fighting the most at its apex form? Which is the most terrifying at its most powerful?

It's probably between Druid, Shaman or DK.

Well, look at the greatest accomplishments of the 'core character' of each class.

Malfurion, the representative character of the druids, summoned a swarm of wisps to smack the shit out of Archimonde.
Thrall, the representative character of the shamans, is responsible for fucking up Deathwing with the Dragon Soul.
Arthas, the representative character of the death knights, was the fucking Lich King.
Tirion, the representative character of the paladins, beat the shit out of the fucking Lich King.
Illidan, the representative character of the demon hunters, is the jailer of Sargeras himself and eyebeam'd a Prime Naaru to death.

Those characters are all the apex of their classes.

>Druid
Nature itself turns against you with choking vines and searing arcane heat while ancients and bests come together to pummel you, all led by the most terrifying dire cat/bear/bird you've ever seen.
>Shaman
Getting blasted simultaneously by scorching flame, howling wind, raging earth, churning water and crashing lightning is no joke, and that's before you spot the shaman him/herself literally surfing atop a wave of elementals and spirits. It's only later that you notice the shaman themselves surges with that same elemental and spiritual power within them, a match for any martial master. In the face of all that, you notice that the shaman has never appeared so calm and at one with the world before, and you realize that the shaman never fights alone.
>Death Knight
He is all four horsemen of the apocalypse rolled up into one cold package. Unending swarms of undead hordes at his back, he charges with blistering cold and radiating curses. Every blow both from and against him only makes him stronger. He fights as well as any martial master, but the process is only ever made more agonizing.

All those are only surface assumptions of what they are truly capable of.

Paladins, to their credit, led the charge against both the Scourge and the Burning Legion, two of the apex threats on the planet. Coincidentally, they got help from the hero class of their respective expansion (death knights for WotLK, demon hunters for Legion).

The shit Malfurion and Thrall have done in novels and in game is fucking nuts, but I think a DK is just absolutely terrifying at the pinnacle of their power.

Unstoppable juggernaut that shrugs off magic, doesn't feel pain or remorse and then the emotional aspect of having to fight friends/family that they've killed and raised against you.

Paladins have several representatives. Tirion, Uther, Lady Liadrin, and most recently Turalyon are all patrons of their class.

Didn't Vol'jin have several sons? Why are none of them leading the Trolls now? Or at least remind people that Rokhan was kind of important during Rexxar's campaign.

I'd argue that Tirion is the most influential and powerful of them to exist thus far.

>Relative(s)
>Sen'jin (father)
>Unnamed significant other
>Unnamed children, Yenniku (youngest son)
>Thrall and Cairne (surrogate brothers)

who is the representative of warriors? Varian?

Varian, Garrosh or Grom, I'd say.

>druid
>arcane
wait, was not the whole point of druidism that it was totally unlike the arcane? Druids even distribute flyers in Dalaran to help people stop using the arcane

Probably Saurfang, Garrosh or Varian.

We don't know who all of Vol'jin's kids are, and the one we do know of - Yenniku the youngest son - was killed and his soul released.

What did Saurfang do, memes aside?

Blizzard World proves that the Alliance are Blizzard’s special little boys.

Horde was completely snubbed for character skins AND even having a presence on the map

Well, damn.

He was the supreme commander of the Might of Kalimdor. The army that went to fight the Qiraji. That's how he knows NOTHING good ever comes out of Silithus.

Well memes are what his entire character has been built on until he actually became them.

I think canonically he solo'd most of the Silithus event, and cut his way through the entirety of the Klaxxi forces in SoO.

oh, shut up. Everyone knows that Blizzard has fucking hordebias

The greatest human warrior of all time was Sir Anduin Lothar, the motherfucking Lion of Stormwind.

The greatest Horde warriors of all time, outside Cairne and Baine, are all orcs, but to claim only one among them is debatable. You've got Orgrim, Durotan, Grommash, Blackhand, Garrosh and Varok Saurfang, among others.

Veteran of the First, Second and Third Wars, Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor, leader of the Kor'kron in Northrend and a few other achievements. Current racial leader of the orcs, Saurfang doesn't have any great achievements under his belt but he's got more combat experience in the past 30~ years than any other character in the game.

Orgrim Doomhammer, for the record, was the motherfucker who beat Anduin Lothar at the base of Blackrock Mountain in a duel. He also killed Blackhand to take over the Horde towards the end of the First War.

Druids wield the power of the moon and the sun, for they too are parts of nature. It's just difficult to get an approximation of what it feels like to get blasted by concentrated solar/lunar power.

That’s why Alliance gets Stormwind and Magni Bronzebeard while Horde gets literally nothing in Overwatch, huh? I have observational evidence you’re just a salty little bitch

Metzen had horde bias, now Metzen is gone.

Now we need to figure out who's the one with an all-powerful anti-heroine fetish.

>Now we need to figure out who's the one with an all-powerful anti-heroine fetish.
Ion "Antonescu" Holocaustus

Pretty much. Not many characters have survived since vanilla, and Saurfang is one of them.

Mage because of the titans

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

>any other character
What is Tyrande? What is Edgilldan? Jarod and Maiev... Malfurion was sleeping most of the time but still.

He did say in the past 30-some-odd years, not overall. Illidan was in jail until WCIII, Tyrande was doing priestess stuff most of that time, Jarod and Maiev weren't really active until Illidan got out.

Metzen had a Horde bias, but moreso the genuinely honorable Horde than the "butcher the elves and drink their blood"-Horde we saw in Cataclysm onwards.

A lot of what he wanted to put in Starcraft 2 got drowned out, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had minimal influence on WoW from that point on as well.

Death knights obviously. They have frostmourne

>tfw rogues have no badass named characters
I guess Valeera will uhhhh act like a slut and kill you when you aren't looking?

tfw no big tiddy valeera gf

Garona, I guess. And you could probably make a case for Maiev being a rogue, most of the Warden skillset went to that class.

Tyrande and every other night elf spent the first 3 games sitting around being faggots. Vanilla tyrandes only purpose was to get gangbanged by horde chads that wanted moon priestess pussy

Calling it now, Anduin's "three lies" are Tenacity, Compassion, and Respect. You know, the three virtues of the Chuch of the Light?

Of course the Void would think Light-aligned virtues are lies.

The main playable character for each class in Hearthstone is generally presented as at least one of the paragons of your class. So yes, Valeera Sanguinar is considered a paragon rogue.

Garona would be a paragon rogue, too.

I mean I guess wardens are "rogue like". And they made maeiv the alternate rogue portrait for hearthstone (Vanessa VC btfo)

>rogues are so sneaky even the plot can't detect them

Is vanilla versions of characters really what you want to base their importance on, user? Do you really want to go there?

Rogues are a dump class along with Warriors and Hunters.

Vanessa is a rogue figure, but her specialty is poisons and alchemy.

Well of the shadow council members she's probably the strongest (aside from the pc) so yea I guess Valeera is the best we got. Lord ravenholdt was probably decent in his younger days

Hunters have a shitty deal all around, as their class fantasy isn't as pronounced as others. If it's any consolation, the apex hunter is muhfuggin' Rexxar.

I have no issues with that, since all the horde characters were badass from day 1. It took how long for varian, tyrande, and Jaina to not be useless sacks of shit?

>vol'jin
>ever bad ass

The Uncrowned, you mean. But yes, Valeera was one of its aces, along with Garona.

Rexxar would man handle most heroes. And huln highmountain is pretty much a hunter too. I'd say hunters are above rogues on the badass named character scale. Also sylvanas is definitely a hunter

Oh yea, shadow council was warlocks. Fuck I hope bfa has cool secret clubs like legion did

>No Mage
Queen Azshara is disappointed

>The Hood

Who?

Tyrande and Jaina were badass pretty much from the start. In fact, I'm pretty sure Jaina was stronger than any of the regular faction leaders, murderfucking Horde raids left and right.

>Also sylvanas is definitely a hunter
She's not the full embodiment of the hunter experience like Rexxar is. She's an archer and arguably the best marksman on Azeroth, but she's no beast master, nor is she a survivalist.

Yea you wish you were a member of the uncrowned Vanessa, back to cleaning duty with you, you're taking tess greymanes seat

Rangers are most definitely survivalists/marksmen. Rexxar is 100% beastmaster. I would say of the three hunter specs, rexxar is bm, sylvanas is marks, huln is probably surv

She still is, but just not a member of the top brass after you kick her ass. I mean, to her credit, she attempted a revival of the Defias Brotherhood, is a master alchemist and poisoner, and she gave a band of Alliance adventurers the runaround through the Deadmines before escaping completely unscathed.

>She's an archer and arguably the best marksman on Azeroth
That's not how you spell Shandris Feathermoon

Jaina had plot armour but is also ridiculously op since you can't really fuck with a mage. But khadgar is obviously stronger than her

That's why I said "arguably."

Maiev is a rogue hero in Hearthstone too, I'd say she is stronger than Valeera, she fought Illidan after all, and he got really leveled up.

She's your sidekick after you dethrone her. The other members are your equals, therefor she is beneath you

The Hood was possibly meant to be the Horde counterpart to Mathias Shaw as the leader of the Horde's intelligence apparatus - the Shattered Hand clan - but he never made it out of the Legion alpha.

If maeiv is a rogue then yes she's hands down the strongest. But I don't think she really is, wardens are kind of their own thing

You make Vanessa your prison bitch? I didn't know that.

Yeah, wardens tick most of the rogue checkboxes, but they're really their own thing.

>plot armour
No, I mean, she was statistically stronger than the other faction leaders, who were statted with the assumption that players in the city would be helping out. Which is also why Tyrande was considered the easiest faction leader to kill, Darnassus was by far the least populated and hardest to reach of all the capital cities.

Although still not as easy as Fandral, who players would actively refuse to protect.

Right. Fandral Staghelm technically counted as a city leader at the time, and he was one of the deadliest.

>Although still not as easy as Fandral, who players would actively refuse to protect.
Why? I wasn't around back then

He's projecting. Fandral was supposed to be another CORRUPTED since the start and anybody could see. If someone bothered to defend any leader was because of joy in pvping

'Cause he was a giant dick, even in the quests you did for him. Even the voicelines for clicking on him were chastising you for wasting his time.

Plus, even back then there were hints that he was up to some shady stuff, what with the whole Morrowgrain thing.

Makes sense, of all the warcraft heroes, barring demi gods and titans etc, Jaina is top 3 strongest. Behind khadgar and Illidan I'd say

Yea she's a follower you send on missions. She tries to kill you and you put her in her place, then she agrees to serve you. Garona is a follower too so I wouldnt put her high on the power rank either

Fandral was a cunt. He butted heads with Tyrande for almost his entire tenure as archdruid, and he belittled everyone who talked to him. And that's before you find out he's a corrupted traitor who was responsible for keeping Malfurion from waking up. And ALL OF THAT is before he turns ultimate traitor, founded the Druids of the Flame, and became the new majordomo for Ragnaros before his ultimate death.

Define demigod.

Yes, Rexxar, who will only join the Unseen Path if you prove you can cook steak and wipe your ass with leaves.

I kind of wish it built it to something more interesting than old god corruption? is that what it was, I'm not even sure. I always just thought he was a very crotchety conservative druid so him making a power play in that direction instead of FLAMING RAID BOSS direction might've been cooler

I don't much care for Moira and her loyalists desu lads

It's called being a survivalist, my nigga. Learn to love the land, and the land will love you back.

Why not, are you a Thaurissan bootlicker? You want to service the fire dick more?

No I want the Dark Irons to git

are you just mad because the dark irons have as much voting power as the stinky bronzebeards and the feral wildhammers?

haha but elfs are dumb! they are made to die to orcs and be human side kicks!

except undead ones ofc, thats my waifu

I guess titans are demi gods. But you know what I meant. Obviously the dragon aspects and shit like that aren't on the same level as named characters. Like tirion was just a paladin, Jaina is just a mage etc. We have no clue how strong wrathion is, or what exactly chromie and nozdormu are capable of doing

What about Aszhara who shat on like all demons in terms of power but at the end of it was just a Nelf?

Fandral was one of the most powerful druids ever, but the death of his son during the War of the Shifting Sands broke him. Xavius preyed on that and used the image of his dead son to corrupt him and do things like use Morrowgrain to keep Malfurion from waking up. When Malfurion finally came back and shattered the image of his son, he broke again and couldn't recover, so he was put in Illidan's old prison.

During this time, Fandral's granddaughter, living with mother Leyara in Ashenvale, was killed in a Horde raid.

While Fandral was being moved to another prison during Cataclysm, he was captured by the Twilight Hammer and delivered to Ragnaros, who restores most of his sanity. Fandral swears revenge on the world. Then he discovers his granddaughter was killed, and he swears double-revenge upon the world. He founds the Druids of the Flame, inducts his daughter-in-law Leyara to the order, becomes majordomo to Ragnaros and leads the effort in Mt. Hyjal to burn Nordrassil to the ground.

Yea she's up there too, and is a mage too, she might be stronger than Jaina or khadgar but we don't really know since she hasn't done much yet

My wow power rankings go

Illidan
Mage fags/shaman fags
Lich fags/light fags
Moon fags
Undead elffu's
Everyone else except rogues
Gamon
Rogues

Would you say he was "sane" while being the majordomo? I mean its pretty obvius he is still CORRUPTED.com

Huln is definately Surv. Surv hunters even gets his spear as spec weapon.

Ragnaros restored Fandral's """"""""""sanity"""""""""" when he was brought to the Firelands. It's assumed he was himself when he said fuck the world. He would legitimately let everything burn than live in a world without his son; that's how much of a weakness it was for him.

I see - I appreciate that there was a buildup to his breakdown and his "fuck the world" approach, but I'd still suggest he could've been moved in more interesting directions.

When I played in TBC I always thought (like I said) that he was just super conservative and his son's death had kind of made him reactionary or resistant to involving the Night Elves in other matters, and just wanted to focus on his Teldrassil project, so he would make an effort to extricate them from Alliance commitments or something, all while keeping Malfurion dreaming in order to prevent him from moving the Night Elves deeper into interracial politics, which he assumed he would do due to what he would see as Malfurion's misguided ideals, or optimism.

So maybe that could culminate with some sort of confrontation between him and Tyrande or, considering her WC3 conservatism, maybe more logically members of the Cenarion Circle or Night Elves who had favourable opinions of their new Alliance members.

I'm not really sure how it would be resolved from a story perspective though.

Wait. When did Fandral visit Dalaran?

>his son's death had kind of made him reactionary or resistant to involving the Night Elves in other matters, and just wanted to focus on his Teldrassil project
It was actually the opposite. Fandral was butting heads with Tyrande because he was a warhawk who wanted to expand the night elf "military"; he believed the night elves were the superior race and wanted to annihilate the orcs coming from Durotar.

Well that conflict between pro and anti alliance didn't went anywhere so they just retconned the elves as whole

Let's be honest, once his role in keeping Malfurion asleep was discovered, he'd pretty much have to become a villain or get removed from the plot via prison or death. Drugging what is basically your king into a coma is for all intents and purposes high treason, and Fandral did not have the depth of character needed to become a second Illidan.

The fountain has coins from Helya and Azshara there, I'm not surprised it has Fandral's.

He also despiiiiiiiised the tauren druids, especially the Archdruid Hamuul Runetotem. Becoming the leader of the Cenarion Circle at the time gave Fandral a gigantic head.