MTG Commander/EDH General

Giant Paragraphs of Rules Text Edition

Last time on /edhg/: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What is your spiciest jank interaction? How janky can you get while still pulling it off in game?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/b-u-r-n-i-n-g-g-a-i-a/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Patrician Tier Taste.

>What is your spiciest jank interaction?
Godo's interaction with Blade of Selves and Hammer of Nazahn. It almost never works, but it's a huge fuck you if it does.

Once I get around to paring down the Mairsil deck I'm working on on Cockatrice, I'm going to do my best to make pic related work.

Worldslayer + Silas Ren works.

Just thought you fuckers should know. Now get to reanimating that fucking wurmcoil. You might even be able to target Silas with his own trigger if you stack the worldslayer first, but that's levels of jank I can't quite comprehend.

>You might even be able to target Silas with his own trigger if you stack the Worldslayer first
You can't. Choosing targets is pretty much the first thing you do when a spell or ability is put onto the stack. (you choose targets as it is put onto the stack, not as they resolve)
Therefor whatever you want to target has to already be in the graveyard before Silas even triggers, so he can't target himself.

Why have I never seen anyone play this before?

It doesn't work if anyone board wipes, and it works for all players' creatures, not just the controller of Lifeline. (it's been errata'd)
That said, there are some strategies where it might be a nice addition, like maybe a Shadowborn Apostle .dec

>completely changing the functionality of a card with errata text so nobody knows what it does unless they look it up

what the fuck WotC

"Whenever a creature dies, if another creature is on the battlefield, return the first card to the battlefield under its owner’s control at the beginning of the next end step."

I play this in saffi and I've seen it warp games, great for abusing etb or ltb triggers if you have a sac outlet.

Urza's Saga dude. It's a mix of totally nonfunctional cards and absurdly broken.

actually, the original wording makes no sense as is. it starts by saying when a creature is put into ANY graveyard, then later states return that same creature from YOUR graveyard.

I used to play this in my Shirei and it was pretty good. It hasn't been erratad, just oracle text updated. It has always worked like that, just that the text is written pretty confusingly.
I don't even understand this, why would you hit someone with Silas equipped with Worldslayer? How do you have mana to cast the Wurmcoil?

So I theorized this a bit better. Either you give things flash and tap all your mana in your combat step to reanimate Wurmcoil, which you accomplish by putting Worldslayer on the stack so it resolves after Silas, and then casting Wurmcoil after the stack resolves during cleanup.

The other option is to float all your mana Worldslayer, bring back an artifact with flash, preferably Shimmer Myr, then dump your hand of artifacts during cleanup. It's janky, but it's intense if you can pull it off.

no it was changed from "put" to "dies" completely different mechanics

right ok a week or two ago some fucking moron came on talking about how his playgroup didnt use priority. didnt read alot of the replies but i've been thinking about it and i cant make sense of it. Can anyone explain?

also, post your commanders

iirc, because during Urza's block creatures were "Summons", they werent considered creatures when milled.
correct me if I am wrong

Why won't they ever return Tribal

i want Tribal Artifact - Cat Fortification

IIRC It turned out that they actually did use priority and he just didn't realize it

You're just wrong here.

how am I wrong? wtf

huh, neat. guess he was just retarded then

>Thread Question
Animar Morph Tribal. Best tribal deck full of jank, while still being more than reasonably good. The fact that I can pretend that I'm playing a Yugioh deck full of traps just makes it the icing on the cake.

Now, unrelated to the question, would any of you anons mind taking a look at my Titania deck? I want to make it more staxy but I'm not sure what to add. Beyond that, there's a few cards from RIX that I wanna add, namely Path of Discovery, Wayward Swordtooth, and World Shaper. I also want to add Abundance, Gaea's Touch, Field of Ruin, and Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant. Thing is, I have literally no idea what to take out! Plz help?

Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/b-u-r-n-i-n-g-g-a-i-a/

Was advised to build Ghalta on /edhg/. Here's how it all went down

>pod is larger than 4, what a surprise
>Akiri/Kraum assembles voltron rather quickly, while simultaneously staxing others
>combo guy stuck on one land and Azor's Gateway
>Atraxa doing Atraxa shit, has evergrowing amount of mana and power on board, everybody else just durdle
>I drop Primordial Hydra for 2 on an empty board, Atraxa player groans
>combo guy flips his Gateway while still on 2 lands t6, vomits his hand onto the table, declares his work is done here and scoops
>my Primordial Hydra still unanswered, allows me to drop Ghalta from 5 forests
>Atraxa is about to get real, Akiri finally finds Rogue's Passage and gets in for 21 commander damage, leaving Metalwork Colossus and a whole bunch of smaller shit to block
>I cast Overwhelming Stampede through stax and get in for a gorillion damage with my commander, Hydra and manadorks, taking Akiri out
>proceed to murder the rest of the table

>Akiri player is salty about the "stolen" victory, he wants a 1v1 rematch
>start with a bunch of land and dorks, no real plan
>he mauls me with small Akiri from t3, then I begin to chumpblock while ramping
>hardcast Ghalta, but he prevents him from blocking, putting me at 18 commander damage, while I have and empty hand
>topdeck Rishkar's Expertise to draw 12 cards, among those is fan favorite Overwhelming Stampede, which I cast for free
>Akiri's butt of 3 allows my 24/24 dinosaur to squarely get in for 21 point
>opponent leaves Solar system on a jet stream of burning salt

wtf, me timmy now

Cleanup? You have to do everything during combat and besides, it doesn't matter how you stack the triggers anyway. Pretty much only way I know to do this is with Shimmer myr or having white for Faith's reward.
At least I used to run Worldslayer with my Sapling.

Ghalta stompy/voltron is really a timmy's dream come true

I've been seeing Chains in Nekuzar decks recently.

This is retarded and will never work

because proxyfags

Pretty sure you can entomb shimmer Myr, swing with worldslayer Silas and call it a day. Is it practical? Not really, but exactly once it's perfect.

No it doesn't work. You have to choose a target when you put the ability on the stack.

There would have to be a state-based action that puts Silas Renn into the graveyard at the same time the ability would trigger. You can see this with Karmic Guide being able to target itself when an opponent has an Elesh Norn in play.

The original printing was basically misprinted. It either needed to only trigger for your own creatures or not say "your" in the second part. The only notable thing about this card is that they errata'd it to bring back all creatures like the first part of the trigger would imply.

I don't know if it's strictly jank, but I run a 5c Tazri ADVENTURE deck. It's allies, Legendary creatures that are good/fit an adventuring party as a leader of sorts, and every Trap in the game. It's bad but it's great fun in a beer and pretzels group.

Cool. I like them already. Chains is a cool card.

Oh and a bunch of the Quest/Expedition enchantments from Zendikar.

>>combo guy flips his Gateway while still on 2 lands t6, vomits his hand onto the table, declares his work is done here and scoops
Respect.

List? I've been thinking about something similar.

It semi-locks out with Anvil of Bogardian.

people are JUST NOW seeing it because chains is so fucking weird.

Timmy player here
What are some fun commanders that remain fun and interesting but aren’t too linear
Have a proshh and sheoldred deck of that helps at all

Vorosh.

What set/block do you guys think had the best Legendaries? My vote is Time Spiral.

Tarkir, Fate Reforged.

I have to say one of the Alaras or New Phyrexia, maybe.
Time Spiral block's sets had way more legendaries than normal sets though, so variety is much bigger. I feel like I'm at home with alara block, so naturally I'm drawn to the cards released then.

I agree with Time Spiral block. It has a ton of unique legendaries that created new, interesting decks. Stuff like Dralnu or Saffi

Alara also had the first mythics so they went over pretty well for EDH

Easily Time Spiral and Kamigawa. They both have a good amount of interesting and unique legends to choose from that range from build-around to just plain good.

New phyrexia
Power, flavor, the art is amazing
It had it all

Yeah. It also doesn't help that the cards are really colourful and look absolutely magnificent in foil.

Conspiracy. The stuff they did is powerful AND interesting.

Literally every commander they printed in those sets is solid gold except the boros ones, and Boros is always bad with 0 good commanders, so can't really blame them for that shit.

Time Spiral had the best Potential Commander loadout. Kamigawa had a lot of hits too, but it had so many that I don't think the hit rate is actually that good, and they're nearly all monocolor which stings

>Boros is always bad with 0 good commanders

>He hasn't run into Mad Avacyn
True, that's one fucking commander, which is pathetic, but some folks will speak up for Brion, Basandra, or Depala. I just like that Purifier is a Boros commander who legit isn't about all combat all the time.

>It hasn't been erratad

>10/4/2004: It works for all players and has errata to remove the “your graveyard” text.

Staple in my Gonti deck that basically requires that you remove it if it comes down with a Sac outlet in play because if you don't, I'll be winning in the next turn or two.

>Essentially get to flicker Gary on peoples 2nd Main phase
>Razaketh loses his downside
>Mindslicer becomes permanent hand disruption
>Gonti starts to filter through and eat the most powerful deck at the table

It's really good. better than conjurer's closet for sure, though I play both.

New Phyrexia or Legends it'self.

Legends had some pretty horrendous legendaries my man

The art was better back then :^)

Would you put Curse of the Cabal in an Elenda Aristocrats Deck?

Also, why the fuck is Braids banned?

>Would you put Curse of the Cabal in a deck?

No.

For the good of human race, please be joking

Turns out band lists for non competitive formats aren’t to “level the playing field” they are just a means of control to stop other people from playing cards the fag judges don’t like

There's no functional errata. Oracle text has just made to make actual sense. The card always worked like it does now.

>oh no, you have to sac something!
Like, the only way Braids could be as oppressive as something like Time Walk, the Moxen, Emracool, or Tolarian is if you're playing a fuck-ton of fast mana and get her out turn 2 or 3. And even then, if she's not removed quickly, then you have some serious deckbuilding problems.

She deserved it at the format's inception and I'm not sure Sheldon ever really gives "Parole hearings" to the cards smacked down way back when. See also Rofellos (when mono-G Selvala exists) and Sundering Titan.

>oppressive

I do not think you know what this word means.

I mean, Protean Hulk got unbanned. Rolf deserves an unban too, imo.

Sundering is so much mana for not much effect.

You could just cheat Sundering in and blink him a bunch to fuck up everyone's mana base

>play monoblack
>lock everyone from the game from turn 1 onwards
>it's fair, guys
PH was a mistake, but Roflellols is even bigger mistake. At least you have to do some hoops with PH, but Rofellos is broken from cast.

>Ruby Medallion is almost $10 now
The fuck

Remind me again wtf priority is

It isn't, where are you looking?

MTGGoldfish. That's weird, maybe it's the eBay listings they use that are inflating that price listing.

Should i put Hall of Gemstones in my Ghalta?

It's not Sheoldred, which is 7 mana and only target creatures. Your line of though is right, it can be reliably cast t3 and then everybody start their turn with saccing either a land, a rock or a dork. The only right answer to that is either a counter or a targeted removal spell which isn't always present. Braids player will surely run Bitterblossom, Greaves and such.

I've actually played with Braids back when I didn't build my own lists and it was disgusting

Super tutorable, lots of ways to cheat cost, 2 activations instead of 1 for each recursion, fucks poorfags and ABU duals equally

Selvala needs other cards which cost mana (other that single use dreadnought), Gaea's Cradle needs creatures on board to produce even a single mana and can't be your commander (but still is busted, no shit). Rofl on the other hand requires you to play lands and that's it. Incredibly easy to break, especially with the attitude towards MLD.

Tolarian Academy on the other hand I'd play with, since Cradle isn't banned and green has dozens of land tutors while blue doesn't.

>destroy 20 lands, none of which need to be yours
>then goblin welder him in and do it again
>no effect

I don't think he should be banned either but he's obviously a top tier mono brown card

When you cast a spell you get your chance to respond, then the next person clockwise, until no one responds. Only then does the stack start resolving. It's like betting in poker.

You basically can't play spells or use abilities that aren't mana abilities "out of turn." It's not your turn unless you have priority. Priority belongs to the turn player until they do something that would require them to pass priority like casting a spell, using an ability, or attempting to change phases. For example, if they cast a spell and decide to pass priority, then the next player in line gets a chance to respond. If they don't, then the next player gets priority. This goes on until it goes back to the player who cast the spell at which point it resolves.

>Tolarian Academy on the other hand I'd play with, since Cradle isn't banned and green has dozens of land tutors while blue doesn't.
Until you remember that Simic+ is already the most disgusting color combo in EDH.

I don't often see simic running lots of artifacts. Anyway, there is no fixing that

You cant use mana abilities either without priority.

so, how useful is this

Oh right right

I've been playing a ton of pokemon showdown and priority in pokemon is like quick attack and extreme speed, so magic priority wasn't coming to mind

Shit, you're right. I was thinking of abilities that use the stack. My bad.

You cant while somebody else has priority, but there are cases where you can activate mana abilities (like during the resolution of a spell or ability) where nobody has priority

>Ban lists for non competitive formats
Bet u Sheldon got molested when he was younger and this is his way of continuing the cycle.

>What is your spiciest jank interaction? How janky can you get while still pulling it off in game?

I'm not sure how janky it is since everyone considers different stuff janky, but my favorite is to use Archeomancer and Ghostly Flicker or Essence Flux with Inalla. It would allow me to bounce him, get the ETB trigger, duplicate, returning a flicker effect and another spell (preferably cyclonic rift or torment of hailfire). Then I would just cast that every turn.

It only shits on multicolored decks.
Plus Mono colored artifacts could definitely use sundering titan, it would level how they play vs multicolored decks with all the best utility.

Somewhat, but not that impactful, really. Costs way too much and it restricts too much. I run one in my Bladewing dragon tribal and I've used it maybe once.
Maybe it could be used in some kind of infinite in conjunction with Intruder alarm and Cloudstone curio, but it's still way too restrictive and costly to be useful.

It obviously negates counterspells but it only seems good if you are trying to cheat fatties into play in a tribal deck because 5 is alot of mana for a card that can just get blown up by a 1 drop instant.

Tolarian is a pedophile.

His name is Brian Lewis not pedophile.

tolarian as in the card or are you referring to some youtube personality or some irrelevant shit like that

It's like $7, so that's pretty good.

Jeremy pls

between that and wurmcoil I'd rather buy the whole deck

shit, wrong picture

I run this in every monogreenmanadorks.dec

Jeremy Hambeast is probably a child molester who wants to slander the name of this fun game because he got banned for being a flagrant fagget.
I literally bought that deck just for the wurmcoil lmao

There are probably plenty of silly combos if you look for them.

>he doesn't like Tajic, Brion, Aurelia and Gisela
Though granted, all "made for commander" Boros guys suck except perhaps the partners

I think you'll find most people don't "actively" use priority, just like most people don't talk through every step of their turn (untap, upkeep, draw, main, combat, main 2, end, cleanup) because to actually play out every single step is tedious and pointless. Priority only matters largely if people are playing a lot of counters or instant speed interaction, in which case the game might occasionally warrant it. Just like how most players don't physically use a stack.

Seems the best thing to do in a Silas deck like that would be to run Darksteel Forge, cheat it out with Master Transmuter or similar, then one-sided rape everyone from then on.

Proxies are the future old man.

It's weird that Tolarian is banned but Cradle isn't, when they are basically the same thing. I'd absolutely love to run Tolarian proxies in my decks.

I could see it being strong in an eldrazi deck. Tap 2 scion, put Void Winnower into play.