From /v/ to Veeky Forums

Has anyone moved from video games to traditional games?
I haven't ever touched cards or roleplaying games ever, except when I was a kid playing Yu-Gi-Oh.
I just started getting tired of video games because it is the same bullshit all the time and the whole industry is just getting worse. Picked up a MTG starter box a few months ago and have been hooked ever since. Anyone else like this?

MTG is a bit of a rough one to roll with. Be sure to stick to drafts and ask local Cubes.

the standard tournament format is a pay-to-win scam but there are still a lot of ways to have fun

I have just been playing casual kitchen table MTG with friends. There is a place about 30 minutes drive away from me that has games. Are those any fun?
Was also curious about D&D but afraid to get into it.

Lots of people have. It's pretty evident if you watch the catalog for a few days.

D&D 5e is pretty easy place to start, but loads of people will come recommending much easier-to-start games. The difficulty with those is that D&D has the brand recognition, so it's easier to get people outside the hobby interested.

For your first TRPG experience though, it's beneficial to have someone with some years under their belt to show you the ropes. Does the place with games host weekly TRPGs?

>has anyone moved from movies to books?
Why would you need to fucking move, this mindset seems to imply to me that you don't have a particularly stable personality and define yourself through what you consume to the point that you can't seem to imagine just taking the best of both worlds.

Board-wise, yes. /v/ is a beautiful shit heap that I find myself browsing less and less.
Hobby-wise, I just like games. I find myself focusing more on my next session than I do my games library, but it’s all still fun.

I'm with ya guy. But I think he just saying overall his interest in video games as of late is on the rough side. So that had his eye wonder over into traditional games.

Yeah of course, I've jumped between one or the other in terms of what one is taking most of attention at the time. But really just depended on how I am feelin.

I've finally hit "jaded asshole" with video games so i only play or buy the ones i know i'm going to enjoy. Most of my free time is spent being an adult or planning my next sick session of murdering my friends with chimera.

/v/ is the forth worst board on Veeky Forums

please don't shit up Veeky Forums, one of the last good boards on the site

I've seen my friends blow hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Magic every year because they need the rush opening those little packs. With table top rpgs you only buy more when it's a new edition. and even then there's people like my old DM who bought all of 2nd advanced when it came out and never bought a book after.

I think it won't be even an exaggeration to say that third of all players come straight from vidya background and their only idea of how to play tabletop RPG is based on cRPG. Which has both bad AND good sides.
There is also a lot of people playing strategies that then go for board games, as board games tend to be easier to make when doing some high concept game, unlike video games (Paradox fags absolutely love A Few Acres of Snow for example)

>one of the last good boards on the site
Last time Veeky Forums was any good it was '14

>Anyone else like this?
Kinda, I’ve never posted in /v/ before, also I’ve never played a Veeky Forums game before, I just like talking to these assholes for some reason

There are no good boards anymore. Even Veeky Forums has fallen to the great newfag migration.

no, it has never, EVER happenned. You're the breakthrough case.

Still miles better than most other boards on the site

All of the other boards on Veeky Forums have devolved into neo-nazi incel redditor shitposting (/pol/, /r9k/, /tv/), degenerated into moeblob fapbait dumps (/jp/, [s4s], /qa/), or are dead (/gd/, /3/, /i/)

>All of the other boards on Veeky Forums have devolved into neo-nazi incel redditor shitposting
Fucking /wsg/. You know, WORK SAFE. And third of it is /pol/ threads

I'm really starting to miss nazimods. At least there was no /pol/ back then, instead they were burned with fire.

I used to play games alot more, but then I tried linux and could no longer stand windows, and coincidentally I also tried d&d around this time. I still play vidya from time to time, but mainly just Sword Coast Legends (a d&d vidya), Chivalry, X plane 11 and minecraft.
If your interested I would suggest trying linux and dnd 5e, combined they can easily get you less addicted to video games and more into traditional games.

now nazimods will probably be card carrying nazis

>getting bored of vidya
>would love to play more tabletop RPGs
>no one to play with

Are you really complaining about the anime loli dumps? /l/ used to be a thing before you and I were even here

I'm complaining because all the people that do it are massive faggots who feel the need to roleplay as a twelve year old literally everywhere they post

Lolifags are the new furfags

>get friends together to play with
>we maybe do one session before they all just muck around an never schedule the next
>repeat process with 2 other groups of atleast 2 friends each
just

Jesus fuck. Just hearingbthat makes me want to dig my heels in and tell them to fuck right off, which is honestly the only shit we can do because Mootwo isn’t modding strictly and probably doesn’t care for the sake of having site traffic from /pol/‘s participants. He wants all their stolen Nazi gold, not realizing most of these punks are would be neonazis with little or no direct connection to someone with bars of gold bullion melted from the conquest of Europe and their own people.

GM prep sure eats up the free time I used to spend gaming.

I’ e stopped prepping as much after i got a better handle on flying by the seat of my pants and letting my players make their own problems. They are a greater enemy to themselves than i could ever craft

>lolifags are the new furries

I'm going to screen cap this for future generations

>I'm with ya guy. But I think he just saying overall his interest in video games as of late is on the rough side. So that had his eye wonder over into traditional games.

Oh thank god. Yes thinking the same thing as these two. "Give up playing video games," is OP going Amish?

Sure OP stick to MTG for a bit. I honesty suggest NOT going draft like everyone here seems to be suggesting as the skill cap for that is high and feelings like cliff scaling for more beginners I've met, and there is no support to help you with it other than "Get good faster". So casual or yes even the dreaded standard might be easier to get into.
If you can swing it I really suggest getting into an RPG group (As suggested 5e is easy to slide into these days).

If you're suggesting Veeky Forums is not rampant with fapbait, may I point you to the nearest fetish "worldbuilding" thread?

Imagine being this assmad that someone posts somewhere you don't like

Same. I used to play a lot of video games and buy new releases all the time, now I will probably buy 2 new games a year at maximum. I spend most of my hobby money on role-playing game books, mostly because one game book can last for years or even decades, whereas games try and get you to pay for expensive DLC and then buy the sequel a year or two later.

Plus, without a dedicated group of friends, video games are just boring after a while. There's no teamwork, and the storyline is usually completely shit. Honestly, I feel bad for people who will never get to play an Edge of the Empire campaign with a good GM, and instead have to play Lootbox Simulator: Star Wars Edition and it's shitshow of a storyline.

Mine goes hand in hand. I play a tabletop video game simulator. Blood Bowl is so fun. But its because of the first video I got into tabletop. A wonderful hobby game.

Imagine being this assmad that someone posts something you don't like

It's nowhere near as bad as it is on [s4s] and /jp/

Start a thread about literally anything, and you'll get at least one reply by some faggot pretending to be a cute anime girl

On Veeky Forums, it's fairly self contained, and the people who partake in it are much less obnoxious

Given the way that guy looks he's not in any position to be judgmental towards those plumber's cracks, dude's face looks like he glued pubes to it

I personally dislike Magic, but D&D is fun to me. It's pretty common for people to just show up alone to game stores like that. Nearly everyone there is a lonely autistic nerd looking for friends. My shop does weekly D&D nights where everyone comes to play together.

It is way easier to go find people that are already into tabletop than it is to convince someone to try it.

That was my plan but it feel short of one crucial thing. I have no friends to play with.

The ones I have are uninterested in Veeky Forums and think it's childish, all while playing Gran Turismo Sport. People that are into Veeky Forums are such repulsive memes it's makes me physically and bodily sick to be around them.

Back to vidya.

old el paso mexican kid
"Why not both?"
When I had rl friends we consistently played both nerd games and the vidya together, there's no reason to segregate your hobbies.

hey there, another /v/tard here whos going to have his first proper RPG session soon.
Got a question for oldfags of this board, how do you fight the initial cringe out?
Thanks

Where the fuck do you live? Veeky Forums related games are normie as fuck in normiestan (that's it, Spain) and don't carry any kind of stigma apart of seen as a bit infantil be some (but that is shared be videogames and it has faded a lot).

>pot meets kettle, decides it's too black

You shouldn't chase joy like that. It drastically reduces your ability to invoke your free will.

>use to be playing /v/idya alll day err day
>started working for company related to video games
>sweet get to play vidya everyday
>1 yr past.. sick of vidya
>got interested in Tabletop especially X-wing miniatures
>got introduced to a friendly LGS
>started playing X-wing followed by Armada, Bolt Action and D&D 5E

from then on i dont really give a shit about video games.. still play them but i dont find the joy anymore..

There isn't even a big amount of loliposting these days.

*paedophiles

This! You know we're going to shit when Wojaks start appearing in the catalog.

wait a sec. Is that guy the original "m'lady"?

Play builders?
And I mean it seriously. It's a perfect middle ground between playing vidya, playing tabletops and solving issues with lack of people to play with.

Nope.
Jerry Messing is the "m'lady guy".
The one from OP picture is unrelated with it Sid Blair, who just went on Magic's tournament and decided to take photos. He got banned from MTG tournaments for over a year because of this

AY HOL UP, you saying the m'lady guy is Pugsley Addams?

Yup.

He's also pic related

Yeah. I used to play video games with my friends every weekend. Now it's all board games and the occasional couch co-op vidya.

He's a fat fuck neckbeard for sure. His point (he does shit like that a fair bit) is that being a fat neckbeard doesn't mean you can't be smartly dressed, clean and not smell like shit.

>Anyone else like this?
Yes. I've been losing interest in video games for a while now, to the point that I can't even get myself to sit through an entirely new game that I was excited for. I had been lurking on Veeky Forums but now it's pretty much the only board I post on. I've managed to get a pretty good online group that isn't just DnD rollplayers and it's a lot of fun, I enjoy the creative freedom and the ability to tackle things however I want, and I'm liking GMing and thinking up my own ideas. If I manage to sit down and play a video game, most of the time I'll just goof off for about half an hour until I get bored and switch it off.

I kind of miss video games but oh well.

Of other players?

Keep playing in games until you find a solid group. In my experience usually every game group, even the bad ones, tends to have a person in there that's on the ball. Keep their contact information and see if you can play future games with them, rinse and repeat until you got a stable gaming group.

I've lessened the amount of games I play that's for certain. I mean I still play the crap out of Doom WAD's, certain RTS games (I like playing starcraft), indie games, and Super Robot Wars, but aside from the occasional title which I know I'd like (Deus Ex:HR) I tend to avoid most big games these days. Doesn't help that the game industry this day seemed utterly blinded by greed that's turning someone like me away from it. Lootboxes and virtual cosmetics bore me so much that I'd rather go out and buy jeans, at least own those.

I came here from /v/ 4 years ago to escape that place and have good discussions. I'm saddened that the new transfers don't seem to want the same thing. They appear to just be trying to escape the videogame industry.

Sadly you can say the same for many tabletop games, especially big name stuff like D&D, Magic, and 40k, but if it works for you than go for it. Just be very careful with magic, a lot of it's sets and standards can rotate out of date from what I've heard, which means you need to go out and buy more cards. Just something to be aware of.

Honestly I just got burned out on /v/ because very few new games excite me any more. Used to be AAA titles excited me in my teens, back when Halo and Call of Duty weren't complete shit. I didn't even bother upgrading from my Xbox 360 and to be honest haven't seen a console only game yet that made me regret it. With the whole state of bullshit I've seen in the news lately with things like Battlefront II I've pretty much given up on mainstream games. Other than the odd new thing like Subnautica that strikes my fancy, I've been digging through Good Old Games and just playing through my steam library. Maybe you should try that OP. You'd be amazed how many great games out there if you're willing to not solely focus on how good the graphics are.