Page 9 revive edition

Page 9 revive edition

Last time on /edhg/: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Hypothetical situation, lets say Wizards does the impossible yet sensible thing and takes over the format. They see Sol Ring as a problem card, and ban it, but they get pressured into printing a "fixed" version for EDH. What does it look like?

>Hypothetical situation, lets say Wizards does the impossible yet sensible thing and takes over the format. They see Sol Ring as a problem card, and ban it, but they get pressured into printing a "fixed" version for EDH. What does it look like?
Already exists. It's called Worn Powerstone.

Seriously though, how the hell has Sol Ring gone so long without being banned?

So many games start off with turn 1 sol rings and just end in extremely boring ways. Like "Oh, he got a turn 1 sol ring and nobody has an answer. Guess we'll all just concede and start a new game. That was a waste of 5 minutes."

I'm looking into making a pauper commander deck and after browsing through a bunch of potential uncommons to use, pic related caught my eye. I like the idea of just going off in a turn and slinging a bunch of spells and one-shotting people.
I'm just wondering if a deck like this has a way to work against multiple opponents - I'm sure there's enough cheap cantrips and spells in U/R to kill at least one person, but I feel like the deck could potentially run out of gas after the first kill. Am I better off just playing Enigma Drake for the permanent power increase for all my spells, even if it's less explosive?

>Seriously though, how the hell has Sol Ring gone so long without being banned?

The card is fine. It's reprinted left and right, so really everyone should just have one.

There fixed

>The card is fine
A decent percentage of games end with turn 1 sol ring, turn 2 some random walker, nobody has an early answer, a few turns pass and then everybody just concedes as the walker ults.

Even if it doesn't get stupid, almost every game a Sol Ring is played turn 1 and not immediately destroyed is a less fun game than it would have been otherwise.

I probably should have said "A non-zero percentage" and not "decent". Decent feels a bit over-exaggerated...

I dislike Sol Ring as the next guy, but what are you even talking about? I have played hundreds of games with people with all kind of decks and this literally never happened.

Ban Mana Crypt too.

No, that card is hilarious. I saw someone receiving more than 20 damage from his own Mana Crypt in one game. He just lost that coin flip.again and again and again.

holy shit kumena feels so good to play.
it flows so well as the engine just turns as you optimise every minute play of your turn to eek out the advantage.

im gonna cumb

No! You don't understand! Kumena is a worse Azami and all his abilities are useless. He will never be viable!!

>literally never happened.
Lol, everybody you play with must be absolutely shite at deckbuilding, then. I've seen it happen a few dozen times.

among them;
>Turn 1 sol ring into Rakdos Signet
>Turn 2 Plains, Kaalia of the Vast
>Turn 3 Kaalia attacks, drops master of cruelties
>Everybody looks at each other. Nobody has an answer in hand. Everybody shrugs, game restarts.

>Turn 1 Sol Ring
>Turn 2 Koth of the Hammer
>A few turns of chump blocking and removal to protect Koth
>Koth ults
>Everybody agrees that they don't want to play out the drudgery of mono red with Koth emblem for an entire game, game ends.

>>Thread Question

Pay 1 for an artifact that reads 'At the beginning of each of your main phases add 1 anus mana to your mana pool.'

The people you play with must be absolute shite at deckbuilding if they have no removal or creatures to deal with these situations.

>Expecting every deck to be 37 lands, 62 pieces of removal
yeah, that sounds like a great deck.

No, if there are three other players, they should be able to remove those threats when they work together. If not they are shit at deckbuilding.

I know this is bait but:
If I wanted to play high power I've got other genuinely good decks, as well as a cEDH deck.

Also the deck is more resilient than Azami, at least in my meta where we don't play wraths cause all the threats we play are super efficient (relative to our decks) so wrath only hits 2 or 3 creatures.

Well, sometimes you don't a table has one white player that didn't draw Path or Swords.

I'd rather not have the solution to "Did you win the 7% lottery and draw Sol Ring?" be "Did your opponents draw removal?" Banning Sol Ring would help the format.

Fact of the matter is, it's printed in the precons. They won't ban it. If it's such a problem, house rule ban it and quit crying.

>it's printed in the precons. They won't ban it.
wow that sure is a true statement

What's the best way to run a newzuri deck without it turning into simic goodstuff? My meta is durdle central and precons, so lower powerlevel isn't much of an issue.

>What's the best way to run a newzuri deck without it turning into simic goodstuff?
Affinity!

Just houserule it. We banned Manacrypt and Sol Ring. People play more green than before, but not much.

>Just houserule it.
:^) We already do, friend

Going from local to online, seeing just how god-awful Sol Ring can get, I don't miss it at all.

Post dumb shit you tech in to cause problems

>IT'S ACCESSIBLE
>THAT MEANS IT'S FAIR
By this logic if Black Lotus and the Power Nine were legal and easily accessible, they would be fair too.

Do me a favor and look up the definition of fair, and tell me I'm not right.

>Wild, volatile swings in favor of one player over others, based entirely on random chance
Ah yes, the old "Definiton of fair"

>Talks shit about not wanting to run removal.dec or not having answers
>All the threats he is talking about can be solved just by playing creatures.

You sure are fucking stupid and bad user. Even fucking mana dorks could attack and block and stop this shit, let alone the actually strong early game combat creatures like strix and ascendant.

>aka, any game of MTG ever

Just stop playing then I guess.

Do you even know what Sol Ring does?

Have you ever seen it played a single time ever?

It is the best card ever.

You're fucking retarded. Just because games can be swingy doesn't mean Sol Ring should stay legal when it exacerbates the problem by a huge margin.

Completely agree, I have people try and wrath it immediately now after I goofed up a few games the first time I played it

>Ha ha! You THINK you were Wrathing MY chimera
>But in truth, it is actually ME that is Wrathing YOUR chimera!
Strictly fun. Every time.

It wasn't a wrath, but something like that actually mattered one time. I was playing 5c Enchantments with house-ruled Genju of the Realm as my commander. One of my opponents cast Dreadbore targeting my Chimera, so I swapped control of it and Dreadbore without changing the target. They were confused until I pointed out I had Grave Betrayal on the battlefield as well.

If sol ring was banned, the price of mana Vault and mana crypt and other rocks would skyrocket. A non "broken" version would just be worn powerstone desu. Or sol ring, but it doesn't untap until a second untap phase.

>the price of mana Vault and mana crypt and other rocks would skyrocket
Not really. If people would buy those cards in a Sol Ringless meta, I guarantee 95% of them already own them.

Tell me, is it always snowing in Magical Christmas land because that is were those situations exist. I'm the real world, a turn one sol ring to signet gets you targeted by the other three players.

>sol ring was banned, the price of mana Vault and mana crypt and other rocks would skyrocket

There's no reason to have only one rock.

Yeah because 3 players sitting on a single land when you are about to combo off is so fucking scary right?

You can get your craw wurm out 2 turns earlier, it's fucking insane and should be banned

You suck at math. If you're going to meme at least do it accurately.

>a turn one sol ring to signet gets you targeted by the other three players.
I've seen turn 1 sol rings win 3v1. It's a busted card.

>any game of MTG
You clearly haven't played mtg, allowing cards such as power nine into the format would turn the game into a dice roll, of who starts the game and isn't FoW'd, wins. Basically, yugioh now.

Remember, there's never any reason to use Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile.

>Basically, yugioh now.
As someone who also plays competitive YGO and agrees with your overall argument, I can safely say you obviously have zero understanding of top level YGO as a game and should really avoid using it as an example in the future.

>Path the guy who has already ramped WAY ahead of everyone else
>Ramp him even harder

Your options are:
>Shoot Kaalia
>Die

sol ring is not a problem though. I do wish wizards would take over the format though. sheldon is a fag

Sol Ring should be banned.

Now hear me out on this one. No, it isn't because of how strong it is. It's not that drawing it super early game gives you a pretty large head start.

No, Sol Ring should be banned because it limits creativity. 99.9% of decks run it. Only jank meme shit nobody plays has any reason to not use Sol Ring. Functionally, this means you are building a 98 card deck, rather than a 99 card deck. Because no matter what the fuck you're playing, Sol Ring is ALWAYS an include.
>BUT WHAT ABOUT COMMAND TOWER?!
Mono color decks don't use it, so that's irrelevant. Sol Ring is the only card in the game that goes in EVERY deck, and for that reason it should not be legal.

How do you stop first turn kills in Yugioh/how is the comparison incorrect or inaccurate?

>top level YGO
I haven't played in a while, but it still should be Whatever is strong now+Handtraps. And unless the game completely changed, the first turn of each player basically decide who wins or loses.

HOUSE RULE YOUR BANNED LISTS
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO HAVE A RULES COMMITTEE FOR THE BEER AND PRETZEL FORMAT

>trusting wizards after the godawful last 5 sets they made

>BEER
>Mixing cards with alcohol and/or drugs/tobacco products
Fucking disgusting.

ban list:

sol ring
cyclonic rift
iona
sisay
derevi
deadeye navigator
sub 4cmc tutors

(unban rofellos he's a good boy he dindu nuffin)

My edric deck doesn't run it, but that's just because I have no use for mana.

>sub 4cmc tutors
I agreed until this line. Fuck off.

Cyclonic rift? What are you smoking?

>GG: the card
>Fair

>ftk
Not him, but they don't really happen. It is extremely risky, and most of the times not consistent.

What does usually happen is each player tries their best to prevent your opponent from creating a boardstate in which you barely have any chances of winning, with either monsters/spells that are immune to effects, or they have an ability that let you destroy or negate something.

FTKs don't exist in YGO. You either make a very difficult to break board or get hand trapped into oblivion.

That isn't the same as opening Sol Ring.

>nothing personnel.... kid

>I always draw my outs
>always

>being so autistic you cant handle a drink or two while playing

>ill never have my answers but they will ALWAYS have their threats

i hate to tell you but that just magic kiddo. sometimes you lose because you dont have an answer, literally an unavoidable part of the game. thats why you put in redundancy to make sure you have a better chance of having your answer

Alcohol and similar substances destroyed my childhood, parents, and took two of my friends. Thanks but I'll pass on associating with it and anyone who enjoys it for the rest of my life.

>A "You win the game"-spell would be perfectly fine since you can just counter it.

'Beer and pretzel' just means casual fun shit with your friends with no stakes around here.
And that's cool, that's your right to do so.
Are you now some superhero that will go on preaching the evils of alcohol? Get over yourself, no one asked for your origin story.

kek are you the guy who tore up cards from his friends binder?

>not having self control

fag

Not even the guy who posted originally, just chiming in my two cents.
Nah I don't even know what you are talking about. I'm actually a pretty chill dude that stuff aside. Is it a funny story?

>ill never have my answers but they will ALWAYS have their threats

user, it's kind of hard to accuse a card of being a problem in a situation where nobody is casting it. It's an almost surreal remark to say "Ah, what if you have Dispel and they don't draw Cyclonic Rift? Then what?" compared to "They've cast Cyclonic Rift and you don't have an answer ready for it."

It's a kind of point of fact that the only situations worth discussing any specific threat as a feature are situations where they do in fact have that threat, so that's a given. So then you have to divide it into situations where they have a threat and you have an answer or they have a threat and you don't have an answer. Situations where they don't have a threat and you don't have an answer, or they don't have a threat but you do have an answer don't really bear mention.

>Complete chastity isn't self-control
Not even him but fucking what?

every card on the ban list is okay with me! you can just counter them, swords them, or strip mine them!!!! XD

I'm only okay with cyclonic rift being removed because it's almost always used as a delay the game rather than a win condition by that fucker that's 5 turns behind

>having a stable group
>using make your own banlist as an excuse for not managing a proper format
Hi Sheldon, how's your Kukosho deck going?

>not having a stable group
>not crying and walking away when asked to play a pickup game with strangers
>making new friends
It's going great, thanks. Blade of Selves is one hell of a drug.

>Opening Sol ring
He was talking about letting people use any card as long as it had a good printing, even the power nine. And the comparison with ygo was mostly due to the fact that if that happened, everyone would have to run shit like FoW(handtrap mtg equivalent) to prevent people from playing their moxes/ancestral recalls/time walks/time twisters/etc on the first turn.

i mean ya

People can be genetically predisposed to substance abuse issues. Why take the risk?

thats like saying people are genetically fat. put down the burger fatty and put down the beer after one or two, its hard

>He was talking about letting people use any card as long as it had a good printing, even the power nine
Literally the dumbest fucking idea.

>Lament that OTHER people have died or ruined others lives from substance abuse
>JUST HAVE SELF CONTROL YOU FAG
Fucking what

>Sol Ring is the only card in the game that goes in EVERY deck
Wrong. I have six decks that I switch between, and two don't use it (Atraxa enchantress and Kess instant-and-sorcery-tribal). So no, it does not go in every deck. Your argument fails.
inb4 special pleading/backpedaling/goalpost moving

The only reason to have six decks and only use Sol Ring in four of them is that you only have four copies.

Literally both those decks you listed should be using Sol Ring you fucking pavement ape.

Not true. If your spells are especially mana intensive, sol ring doesn't offer much.

>If your spells are mana intensive the best ramp card in the format doesn't help much

Wrong again. I own multiple copies. Which is irrelevant because it's a singleton format and I can just switch cards between decks whenever I need.

You're telling me what my decks need? Fuck off you presumptuous cock. It's an intentional choice. They both have a lot of symmetrical artifact hate that would just hamper anything I ran myself. I bet you're the kind of niggerfaggot that whines if your opponents do anything other than cast turn 6 Craw Wurms.

>You're telling me what my decks need?
No, I'm telling you that you're a shit deck builder.

>2 colourless mana helps to cast coloured spells

he is using it as an excuse to not do something himself implying he wont have the self control to not ruin his life

truly a soyboy

Post a list for a good deck that only uses spells with colored mana symbols. Go on, I'll wait.

The chance for Sol Ring to accelerate you into a crazy position is well worth the chance that you sometimes use the crazy acceleration from it to accidentally blow it up too. I suppose I should rephrase as "the only good reason".

It's down to that or you're playing a deck where all of your cards have only colored mana costs, which I'd struggle to call "you're playing a gimmicky pile" a "good reason".

>Signets
>What kind of idiot has a decklist where every 4CMC and below card has a minimum of 3 pips

>Guy murders your wife
>JUST SHAKE SPEND A WEEKEND WITH HIM YOU PUSSY IT ISN'T LIKE HE IS GOING TO KILL YOU