Flames of War General: Winter Warfare Edition

Welcome to the Flames of War and Team Yankee General discussion thread.

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Other urls found in this thread:

theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_194
forces.flamesofwar.com/CompanyByItem.aspx?Item=Sd Kfz 250/7 (8cm) half-track&Country=G
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Infantry_divisions
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New panzerfunk when?

We recorded earlier today.

I need to get it edited, and will upload once that is complete.

Anyone in the st Louis area play? Haven't seen any shops with events.

Oh shit I did not expect a real answer. Did you guys review Avanti?

Our main focuses are the 2018 announcement video, Stripes, and Armies of Late War.

But we do briefly discuss Avanti. It’s not a full spoiler review, but we talk about what we know.

We’ll probably do a full review after it’s been released.

Looks like Armesarmy merged with PSC.
theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_194
This just significantly boosted PSC's SKU for their cold war products (even though quite a few are DOA, I doubt any user would pay more to have Brit vehicles in resin over BF's plastic crack).

And you'll let me know when that goes down, yeah?

I kid, of course. I get the feeling you guys probably record when I'm at work anyway.

Typically it’s on Sunday, usually around 3pm Eastern Time.

It’s actually scheduling a *day* that tends to be the hard part.

Actually scratch that.

We started around 2pm.

nippon tanks I'm working on, colourful half-fictional camouflage. 4 chi-ha's, 2 ha-go's and 10 te-ke's still to go

Yeah, I work Sundays.

Lookin' good! I like how vibrant they are.

Very nicely done. Keep it up! Got more to show us?

I'll post more once I finish the tank bunch. I got 2 infantry platoons, a mortar platoon, 2x 20mm AA guns and 4x 105mm howitzers still to paint as well

If I want to get into Flames of War, how do I know which among that massive list of books is relevant to my interest? Seems quite confusing.

Armies of late war is a good place to start, its the newest book and it has options for all 4 major players, UK, USSR, USA, Germany

Where can I find a exhaustive list of V3 books before V4 came out ?

In the OP

What army and era are you interested in?

Mid-Late Germans, as I'm sure you're incredibly bored to hear.

Tanks or infantry?

Probably tanks, though maybe a recon unit where I can use my favorite Sd Kfz 250s and silly stuff like the luchs would be cool.

Well the half tracks have not been updated for MW though there is a recon company in MW. LW Gray Wolf covers the biggest period and has tons of lists.

The Panzerspahkompanie in Gray Wolf seems pretty neat. I'm not sure how good it would be on the tabletop but it would allow me to build a lot of the things I want to. Do you know which formations would allow use of the Sd.Kfz 250/7 though? Don't seem to be any in this book, but the website says it's rated for late war.

Most Western Front Aufklärungs lists let you use the 250/7: forces.flamesofwar.com/CompanyByItem.aspx?Item=Sd Kfz 250/7 (8cm) half-track&Country=G

Is it intended that western front lists should only fight the western allies?

Nah they can fight whatever.

Is there a good source for the full structure of the armies used by every nation during WW2?

The 9th Panzer Division Aufklärungsschwadron seems neat. I assume the rules don't really care whether you use an Sd.Kfz 250 Neu or Alte? It never seems to specify and I believe a mix was used generally.

Do you mean a source with the TO&Es for the major powers throughout WW2?

Thanks, which ones are up to date with V3 ?
I can't find a complete list of all the books.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the books in the main page of the scans database are current.

The majority of them are V3, a handful are V4, and a handful are Team Yankee.

Indeed. I'm curious about how the major powers structured and organized their armies/corps/regiments...etc.

Osprey books are good for that.

yesterdays progress, still a bunch more to do

the /7 is in every gepanzerte pioneer company in every late war book involving germans.It's that ubiquitous that it's even in a lot of the FoW digital lists.

The /7 Pioneer halftrack is the SdKfz251 - I believe the original question was for the 250/7 (short bus mortar halftrack)

Yeah, i'm talking about the scout halftrack mortar carrier not the engineering vehicle. It only seems to be available for western front forces other than a single Nordland list for the defense of Berlin.

Very nicely done.

almost finished with the rest of the ho-ro's, plus the chi-ha turret with the tank commander. only missing drybrushing on the tracks and washing a few of the tanks wheels, and then varnish. pretty satisfied with how the camouflage turned out.

10/10
Would watch my Italians die to.

Excellent job!

So, who's getting some, and how many are you getting?

I will not buy any. Instead I will wait rill BF release their plastic valentines.
PSC products require too much effort to build, taking more than an hour for each complete build while BF products can be built in less than 15 minutes with almost no plastic dust.

What kits are you building?

Even the T-55, arguably their most complicated kit, didn’t take me that long.

How? PSC takes a bit more time to assemble for me, but not double, much less the quadruple time you say it takes.

They were comparatively rare relative to the sdkfz 251 series IRL. 15k 251's (all variants) vs 6.6k 250's (all variants.) Makes sense they'll show up in fewer lists unfortunately.

Sd.Kfz. 251/2 was the one with the 81mm mortar btw.

I doubt anyone here knows, but were there any Japanese units that fought several major opponents? Like one that fought against Russia and also against the US?

So Bartosz and I may be throwing down in EW tomorrow, but I don't have access to Burning Empires right now. Is there any difference between Fucilieri and Black Shirts in terms of organization? Or is is just what column they roll on for 8MB?

Organisation probably, both roll on Regular.

Also brow beat Bartosz into playing V4 already.

TODAY IN AUTISM
While grinding T-34s I found that the unit I was representing employed armored skirts on many tanks to prepare for Berlin. Enough T-34s were outfitted this way to provide meaningful postwar feedback, but no mention of layout was provided beyond "1.5mm thick" and that it outperformed mesh armor substantially. Digging on dead Russian modeling websites got me this mockup. I have the following rule:
>there will be exactly 10 T-34/85s and they will all have the skirts
I took a short unit of tank riders because that is how many a platoon actually had. I took Zis-3s because that is what they actually had (they only had 3 per corps due to losses but gayfuck BF won't let me grog well). I am bringing the most historical list to this tournament possible. So my question is not so much what do I bring, but how do I use it in V4? Oh yeah company will be finished by March for those who want to see.

you'll really want to exploit follow me orders to close with the enemy (without huge AT you'll need to), that said you kind of lose the benefit of not having hen and chicks. I'm no expert on soviet lists but maybe consider going down to a non hero FT list? I've just always felt the hero lists were a bit of a waste, moreso in V4. your support picks are solid though.

They seem like they use the same organization. All the same unit choices, but different costs.

We plan to, but I need to get ahit for my Italians to be able to play them in V4 (such as knowing how my Fucilieri will work, and buying the plastic starter to get some sweet sweet 100/17's).

Won't fit his requirements, the normal tankovy starts at 11 tanks. V4 the Heroes get 3+ skill on all the orders, I'd say they're better in V4 rather than worse.

ah, wasnt aware heros got buffed for V4, in that case it looks very solid.

Nevermind, they are different structures. I'm a dumbass. Wonder what org chart I was looking at...

next project

Their Panzer IIIs were pretty bad: I had a lot of warped front panels that needed filing, a lot of fiddly bits, not to mention two piece tracks. The turret shruzen supports for later versions also took a while to match up.
Shermans were awful had it's been how many years and they still don't have one piece tracks for them?!
Their early crew also looked no better than melty man.

Hey everyone, completely new player here looking to start playing American mid-war. Here's my list I would appreciate some thoughts, thanks
Core Formation: Infantry company
1 hq platoon
2 infantry platoons
1 1917 MG platoon
2 mortar platoons
1 m10 platoon (4 destroyers)
2 armored recon platoons
2x warhawks
1 m3 observer tank
2 105 platoons (4 guns each)
Total 100, I like artillery

I didn’t run into any significant problems with their Panzer IIIs myself.

Perhaps you just got some bad sprues.

I don’t have Fighting First with me to double check everything, but it seems like a decent list.

But I’m not sure if you can take an observer tank if you have stationary artillery. I think that’s only for the Priest battery.

It's either, and also the only dedicated observer in the book. Though every rifle platoon leader can do the same job if needed.

Okay. I wasn’t entirely sure.

I know I’m some of the older books, stationary artillery teams had a small base infantry observer, while the self-propelled artillery had an observer tank.

Yeah, well, this is V4. "What do you mean sneaky infantry? Have TONK" *shoves random tank in face*

Which Panzer IIIs? They have two kits.

The ones I thought went together well are (I think) the later models of Panzer III.

Although it’s been a while, so I’m not entirely sure.

That might explain it, the kit for the later models needs 8 less pieces just because of the removal of the multi-part tracks.

Compared to this, which is more parts required for the build and less options on the sprue...

multi-part tracks at 15mm that sounds like a nightmare

Yeah, it was a thing PSC did on the early 15mm kits as they were transitioning from 1/72 kits. They've since made single piece tracks for most of the old kits, which they now include in the box.

Is the Ausf M the cutest, snuggest fucking tank ever made?

Cutest? Nah. Snuggest? Yep. All wrapped up in schurzen.

No that would be the early StuGs with the short barrels.

Yes
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Infantry_divisions

>25/1/2018
>'Nam Coming Soon
>We’ve just received our first print samples of the new ‘Nam book from Osprey and it is looking great. There is already some talk around the office about pulling some old half finished armies out and giving them a game under the new Team Yankee based rules.

>We also have packing samples of the 3 new army deals to check out. With the book and army deals out next month getting into ‘Nam has never been easier! Of course for our veterans with a Tour Of Duty or two under their belts the Unit Card packs will help you prepare your forces for a return to the Ia Drang Valley.

Pic related is accompanying picture. Every starter box looks completely vehicle based with the PAVN getting an Ironclad Battalion and the US getting an Armoured Cavalry Troop. Because Vietnam was known for it's huge centrepiece tank battles!

Dead on fucking arrival. They turned what people hated from Tour of Duty into the main focus of 'Nam.

At least the Ausf M fag has taste. The Ausf N is like the tranny of tanks. It wants to pass as a Panzer IV so it attaches a gun to big for itself on and hopes no one will notice.

So their first plastic T-55s are coming with the PAVN?

I like the N, its like a short lil chubby tank

I sure hope you're not the Stug III fag, because I have news for you if you have an issue with a 7.5 gun on a fucking Panzer III chassis.

>armor as the focus
>in fucking 'nam
Goddamnit Battlefront. Just kidnap someone from PSC and learn how to fucking do hard plastic infantry again you lazy fucks.

True taste is a mix of Ms and Ns supporting Königstigers.

>mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms

The best place to find it is in Gepanzerte Aufklärungsschwadron lists that feature a Heavy Platoon. The FoW site, back when it had PDFs to download, had a generic Aufklärungs Abteilung PDF that would've had them.

Other than that, their Forces site had a few lists, like the 116. from Devil's Charge.

If you like that grotesque turret that is fine. But your choice in tankfu is still shit.

Wait... Plastik ZSU-57-2s? Now that's what I call exciting news!

Hmm could they reuse the T-55 hull for that? It was pretty similar right, I know when the NVA retired their ZSU57-2 they kept the hulls for driver training.

>NVA tank battalion
>battalion
They had 52 tanks per battalion though. For example, the entire offensive across the DMZ in 1972 had 260 tanks but only 5 battalions. I also see ZSU-57s on that box, but those came in companies of 20. Based entirely on the information we have (one battalion plus AA vehicle support) a single NVA tank list can take 72 armored vehicles in a single list without messing with multiple formations. This is assuming you can't take APCs at all, or the 15-tank independent support companies for obsolete equipment like the SU-76.

The Americans get a scout troop and an infantry company.

The Mark VIII is my tankfu.

noice. fckign ace paint job!

call me odd as fuck, but Vietnam shoudl have been re-developed as a 15mm mini's based TRPG with various Free World parties jungle-dogging and tunnel-ratting against GM controlled NVA/VC forces....

wait....are the box sets confirmed all-plastic?

Not my Ausf N, sorry.

....it's still good

Only a teeb could have such poor taste.

I'm king of the Wehraboos but Great War shit is my real pleasure.

It doesn't.
ZSU57s have lighter hull, fewer wheels.
Their hull looks similar but can't be shared.

I am ok unless BF changes Charlie's RPG teams to small bases.

>have male tanks as tankfu
Good boy

The box under both the book and the Ironclad box is a Huey Company box though.

Also that the VC did bring out their tanks, after the US Withdrew. And that the Armoured Cav squadron was already a formation in Tour of Duty.

They are hoping TY brainlets will see tanks and eat it up.

me