I don't hate 5e i think it does "story" games well the ones you have the same characters almost all the game and all...

I don't hate 5e i think it does "story" games well the ones you have the same characters almost all the game and all that , but i don't know for some reason it feels bland

People often say 5e is the second favorite of everyone and that people will grew into playing other games but i really don't know where to look i liked 3.5 for its lethality but i didn't like the disparity between classes

any suggestion for a lost nerd?

Get away from swords and magic fantasy, it's a genre where DnD's taint is in basically EVERYTHING.

Look into cyberpunk, space settings, post apocalypse, shitty weeaboo magical girl games, ect. Basically anything except standard fantasy.

but i like sword and sorcery!

Play a sword and sorcery game that isn't D&D.

That would be great if anyone actually PLAYED any of those games besides DnD. But they don't.

Have you considered playing with a group of people who are not close-minded?

The trouble isn't close-mindedness, it's getting people to leave their comfort zone. I've had better luck finding players for my games by getting people who "have only watched Critical Role but it interests me" to try a new system than I have found in getting a 5e player to try a new system. It's not that they don't want to, they're just comfortable with what they have.
It's also why Pathfinder still manages to be a thing.

13th Age, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Barbarians of Lemuria, DCC, Whitehack, Mythras, Talislanta, Fragged Kingdom, Symbaroum.

Do you even research, nigga? Any of these is better than 5e at least at something, most are better than 5e overall.

That's exactly the reason that "have you tried not playing D&D" is such a meme. People spend so much effort learning D&D that it basically turns them off of playing anything else forever.

Anyway, if your problem is "bland" campaigns, that might be a GM problem, not a system problem.

Try Shadow of the Demon Lord.

If you need to stick with D&D, BECMI or 4e.

Fuck you.
D&D can't be used to create any campaign that wouldn't be a D&D simulator.
They are bland, because they're "throw more magic at it" campaigns, at level 5 no ordinary human can hurt you so you stop giving a single fuck about them, the whole system is built as to discourage roleplaying.
It's not goddamn GM's fault that he was given a turd.

So much this. I'm fucking tired of people foaming at the mouth arguing that you can do any kind of a game in DnD (or even, some go as far as just saying 5e).
No, you fucking can't. Even if you could, it would be akin to using a woolen sock instead of a condom, you imbecile.
The woolen sock argument I employ quite often, but it doesn't seem to able to penetrate that thicc as fucc crust of fanatic fangayism that DnD causes.

>Runequest
>High magic

>i liked 3.5 for its lethality
wat

but they are not D&D.

Oldschool RQ is legitimately insane when it boards the magic train.

Don't you love how people say PLAY ANYTHING BUT D&D and then gripe about D&D, but never actually give you anything that is realistically useful as far as suggestions?

>Which genre interests you
>Medieval fantasy is the path that leads to all the D&D options

So...was the person who made this flowchart stupid, or did he have an agenda, or was he actually retarded?

D&D isn't and never has been Medieval fantasy.

>never actually give you anything that is realistically useful as far as suggestions?
Ahem

Ok let's see
>liked lethality
>doesn't like power disparity between classes
GURPS or DFRP (aka GURPS but streamlined for sword & sorcery)

>doesn't like power disparity
>recommend a game with extreme potential for power disparity

No shit if you let someone build a completely mundane 200pt farmer and everyone else builds some kind of warrior then there'll be a power disparity, but that's not the system's fault, it's either the GM's fault for not making his campaign type clear, or the player for being a contrarian asshole and making a character that doesn't fit the campaign.
If you bring up the M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N, reminder that it's not rules legal.

American I take it.

You could make the same argument for allowing characters of different tiers in the same game for 3.x.

No, because nobody tells you in GURPS "you know, a farmer with no combat skills is a pretty good fighter"
If the player choose no combat skills, he knows it. When a player choose to play a monk in D&D, he doesn't know he fucked up until he learns it the hard way.

I find this chart severely lacking in most aspects besides DnD. Can you fix it please?

The DM informing the monk player that this a T3 campaign, pick a tashlatora or unarmed swordsage or something instead of plain monk is not any more complicated than the GURPS guy telling players what is and isn't allowed (including setting some hard caps on starting skills probably).

And 3.x is probably the worst D&D has to offer in this department.

I see it the other way user. It really appears that every system is just another attempt at not being DnD. People like you think they are better, or in the know. However your systems never take off for a reason. You rabbid hate mongers eventually come to hate the alternative systems as well. None of you can agree on one. The meme should be “Have you tried not playing a role playing game?”, because you guys don’t like them. Just play a war game or something.

>They are not D&D
>List includes 13th Age, DCC, SotDL and Whitehack
Are you SURE?

This.
It infuriates me. Groups I play with are playing TTRPGs for the story, so naturally you take a game which doesn't support you AT ALL with stories, but instead gives you a fighting simulator including 100 pages of character creation and 100 pages of magic. WTF?
Since DnD also is the first system people learn they don't want to learn any other systems, because of course, all of them are like that. Difficult character creation (magic) OR a simple character which doesn't do shit in play except auto-attack enemies (non-magic).
And don't you talk shit about DnD! It's the best system there is! – They know their shit, eventhough they haven't played more than a 2 sessions of other games (if it even comes up to that). DnD does everything the best way possible!

The trick is gradual houserule method. Houserule 5E with systems from other systems. Slowly and incrementally you will pass through the idiot nerd skull which cares only for comfort and shielding of ego against new or different experiences. By the time they realize it, they'll have played 50% or more of a new game's systems and concepts that moving them over to the real deal isn't an issue.

Or just play with normies. Normies > hobbyists

then be a man and play Barbarians of Lemuria