EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What is your opinion on proxies?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-meren-wip/
deckstats.net/decks/99245/888383-in-construction-mardu-tokens
magiccards.info/query?q=kaervek's spite&v=card&s=cname
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-tokens-wip-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yisan-altima/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hokey-fright/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Im trying to make a mono-B deck with discard and rats that isn't Relentless based.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-11-17-rat-rack/

am I missing any obvious cool/spicy tech that'd be fun.

I want to win games with Barren Glory, give me your spiciest tech

>What is your opinion on proxies?

i prefer playing with real cards but i can understand if someone wants to proxy some power staples like mana crypt and force of will to keep up in a meta that has become too sweaty for its own good

o-ring it and drop a "destroy all permanents" spell

>90% competitive

Do we know even generally how tapped out calculates this stat.

I'm fine with people using them when I play with them.

I think anyone who BUYS fakes is fucking stupid though. Even more comical when they try to claim some sort of financial superiority. You paid money for something that has no value and could be printed out on paper and have the same effect. At least the guy that buys cards can sell them all off again and make his money back or possibly get a return on reserve list cards.

>thread question

there's no reason to buy real abur dual lands or more than one real copy of each shock/fetch/sword of/whatever. proxy that shit and throw it in every deck you own.

If teferis protection is in the deck or not

This is a difficult stance to have because it invites people to bring a bunch of B+W photocopies to the table or worse, handwritten cards, which I have actually experienced

>proxies
Sure, but my playgroup is against it.
We are fine with our Power level staying in our budget

At least print the cards, I have seen people just like said, who would just take some lands, and put a paper with the name of the card on the sleeve.
It's fucking annoying that you have to keep reading each card and then looking up what each of them does.

I literally said in the post to print them out.

It's a slippery slope

>Cao, Cao
I used to run this dude before modern existed in the 90s, Surely there's a better discard and wheel commander than this boy by now, he kinda sucked back then.

And what if you don't have a printer? Either you make the files, go somewhere that will print it, pay for it(a print of good quality isn't that cheap, you will pay like a dollar for each a4), and then you will have to cut them and put it into your sleeves.

Buying fakes aren't expensive, and its ready to play.

In favour for EDH. Generally against for professional play / competitions (since it's wizards product and their game, and they deserve to make their money for it). EDH without proxies quickly becomes stale and pricey.

I have a question for the thread lurkers also - what do you all do for a living? I've noticed the majority of MTG players are NEETs or otherwise in low end jobs with minimal education. Why is this?

It's because the average age for mtg players are around 24 iirc, so most people are either minimal education+ low end job or still studying/just got a job out of college(so, a low end job).

It doesn't, seems to just be an arbitrary number. It's highly innacurate.

Now that would be a nice way to win. If someone in my group won with that I would be crazy impressed.

>You paid money for something that has no value and could be printed out on paper and have the same effect.

Uhm... Don't you see the fallacy in this statement? Pretty much every card is worth its paper and ink and that's about it. I mean yeah, you could sell it, but because of inflation it will most likely sell for less than what you paid, in real terms - and most people playing commander aren't using P9 or similar reserve list cards, just expensive lands and other rates that aren't in the RL but are expensive - so they won't hold their value in the event of a reprint (which with 2+ masters sets a year seems highly possible).

I'm a programmer. A lot of MtG players I know on real life are graduates or are trying to graduate and idk about jobs but they all seem to be comfortable. Most of them are little rich dipshits though, so that might explain.

If you can pay for the card, do it. Proxies should be limited to hard to get and expensive cards. Over 50 bucks it's a maybe, 100 and over are definitely acceptable.
Although it should only be used if you plan to get the card eventually.

No. It's retarded, my Volrath deck with an average CMC of like 5.5 is considered 100% competitive

Speaking of Meren, this is my WIP.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-meren-wip/

Maybes are cards I'm interested in, description are swaps I'm thinking of making currently. Am I on the right track?

Chinese proxies are 1-2$ a pop plus S&H(a real cost when getting shit from China). A cheap printer is in the 30-50$ range.

At even proxying a couple dozen cards it's cheaper to have a printer, which is something you can also use for non magic related things. You are being really silly.

>Uhm... Don't you see the fallacy in this statement? Pretty much every card is worth its paper and ink and that's about it.

You are a fucking idiot that must have failed econ 101. This is the kind of stupid ass statement that makes everyone believe proxiers are stupid poorfags.

Proxies are fine when not taken to the extreme. I'm ok with my group putting for example FoW or LoTV in their decks but if they go full proxied power 9 the arms race becomes a little stupid

I'm an extracurricular teacher, deciding on what I'm going to study next year with all the money parents throw at me for teaching english to their lazy children

I'm a Psychologist and work for a children's rights protection program in my country.

>majority of MTG players are NEETs or otherwise in low end jobs with minimal education.

I don't know where you live, but most of the people I've met are either studying in college or have a paid job with a decent income. Playing this game requires money.

China proxies >>>>> Cheap Printer
A cheap printer have a terrible quality, I have a $400 printer that I use for work, and it's still not as good as ordering from a graphic. You don't need to order proxies from china, just order them at your local graphic, cut them, and put them in the sleeves.

It's what I do for custom tokens, except for the sleeves part.

I don't think you understand this in the slightest, especially when a decent proxy will be about 10-20c a card depending how many you're ordering. You're clearly confusing proxies with counterfeits, which is about what I'd expect from your other posts. It's fine if you don't understand the time value of money. Just because P9s have held their value doesn't mean you're fetch lands will.

love them, they have to be high quality though. no one should have to pay hundreds of dollars to play magic. if wizards wont make the game affordable the chinaman will

On what kind of paper you ask the graphic to print? I'm guessing certain kinds of paper will look better than others.

i mean when you can spend 10 bucks and get professional almost wizards quality play sets of cards i dont see a problem with buying the proxies. nothing annoys me more than someone coming to game night with a black and white printed out paper bull shit taped to a land

Your ramp sucks for a green deck. Put more cmc 1 creatures. Deathrite Shaman is a must in your colors. Birds of Paradise also if you play G and another color. Consider Carpet of Flowers if your meta has a lot of blue decks.

Put Birthing Pod, and then check on your curve for it.
Pattern of Rebirth is pure value for this deck.

Over all, I prefer Meren Stax over a bunch of value cards, but it would require cutting a lot of this deck.

What are some fun artifact based semi-competitive commanders? I want to play artifacts but no idea what I want to play.

Blue or black core 300gsm cardstock provides the best results in both feel and look. That is the type I use to make custom lands and tokens, or any alters as well.

Maybe Couche for a little of glossy finish? It will still be obvious at plain sight thou

Oh, I was thinking on printing on paper and then sticking it to a real card. If this is avaible that'd be awesome

i teach english overseas

how the fuck could people with no money play this game in paper? is this why the thread question is about proxies?

>Implying I care about my fetches.

I got them when they where in print, so I only paid like 10-15 bucks tops for them. At that price point I couldnt give two fucks if their price grows or shrinks.

Reserve list cards are what I am talking about with value, and if you think it's just P9 going up you are very uninformed. It's pretty much skyrocketing everywhere. Duals are obviously growing, but stuff like wheel and rector have tripled in price in the last year or so. Even fucking wood elemental is a 10$ card now, and it was like a quarter before.

Once again, I will say its silly to claim some sort of economic superiority when BUYING fakes. Just print them yourself.

Most artifact decks are combo, so are you ok with it?

I play mostly artifact decks, so Daretti, Arcum Dagsson, Muzzio, Memnarch, Sharuum, Sydri, and my waifu Breya.

The most fun I've played are Breya, Memnarch and Daretti.

The most competitive Breya and Sharuum.

What are you contemplating? Combo, funny interactions, win-win, budget friendly? What colors and or how many colors?

I can't decide on which commander to build.
I'm stuck between Oloro, Zur lockdown. Marchesa the Black Rose, Derevi and Narset.

marchesa. the rest are pure cancer.

I am fine with combos and funny interactions and I was looking for 1-3 colors. I think when going through a bunch of commanders, the ones that stood out the most to me was Sharuum and Memnarch but I am not sure what I want.

I've had a shitton of fun with Derevi in a semi-competitive environment

I've wanted to make a Narset deck since she was spioled, but it requires a ton of money and I have more projects ongoing

College student in health studies focusing on Pre-PT. Also a CNA, but I tend to just work odd jobs and retail.

Fuck, I can't decide between Chainer or Toshi Umezawa. My meta is pretty creature-centric so they'd both work fairly well, but trying to decide between being a hitman or a grave robber is harder than I thought it would be.

I've been debating if I want to make Toshi as well.

Toshi with Chainer in the 99. Or Horobi.

Go play legacy you tryhard faggot.

Oh I'm not sure how that would turn out desu. You could try it but it wouldn't look as decent I dont think.
Maybe Breya or Silas Renn could be fun?

Are image uploads fucked for anyone else?

Then I recomend you either Memnarch or Sydri. Sharuum is pretty linear and tends to be very boring even for combo (unless you make an eggs deck which would be awesome).

Both Memnarch and Sydri are open to funny interactions and could easely turn into abusive to win the game in the end. Memnarch draws more hate tho

>Sharuum is pretty linear and tends to be very boring even for combo (unless you make an eggs deck which would be awesome)
just make breya eggs, much more entertaining

What about Lim-Dûl? I've never seen it played and I think he might be fun to use

To be honest I didn't look at Breya that much since I constantly hear how bullshit and abusive she is.

Yeah, I prefer to stay value since I'm already on that path. I'll see if I can work in these suggestions, I figured my land fetching creatures would be enough ramp..

7 mana is pretty hefty price
wouldn't he be better as one of the 99

It's not enough wen you start ramping on turn 3. Most green deck I play uses all Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise, Elvish Mystic, Fyndhorn Elves and DRS if they can.

Yeah, she could be very abusive, but when I first started with her it was in the fair plan and it was ok. It was later when I turned her into cedh. You just don't need to make her abusive.

I might do Memnarch since I was a big fan of his even when Mirrodin was new.

Justin Parnell's gyno is ____________.

2pricey

I started with a sidri deck and it was fun stumbling onto interactions between cards, currently moved to breya and i have to say it brings a lot to the table and her abilities help you a lot whereas with sidri or sharum you just have to sit there and take the artifact hate breya can punish people for messing with your stuff.
Either way if you go esper or breya artifacts bring every piece of mass artifact recursion like scrap mastery/second sunrise.

yeah
seems like imageupload is dead, so when this thread 404s, there won't be a new thread.

It won't get bumped off because no one can make new threads

Fucking Hiro

>not printing a full playset of every magic card ever printed

I need advice on this deck.

deckstats.net/decks/99245/888383-in-construction-mardu-tokens

What 12 non-land cards should I take out?

The idea is an avalanche like token swarm with tons of accessory punishment based on token creation / removal

Who is the most fun luck based commander deck?

Wait, it's a mardu Alesha token goblin deck?

>Thread Question
If you own the actual card but want to keep it preserved, sure. Just show me proof. Otherwise, don't use tech you don't actually own. I'm not gonna face down a Gaea's Cradle unless you actually have one.

Build a coin flip tribal. Add chaotic cards like Possibility Storm.
Have fun, never win.

It's really a token deck with nice combos, I use a ton of goblins for Krenko, which I'd tutor. I also use some rats for a tutored marrow-gnawer

The card Apocalypse usually works well for it. So something with Boros colors at least. Maybe Jeskai or Mardu to afford you some card draw.

use tappedout, please. I cant see shit in that list

kinda surprised no one said this already but here is the true spice. For this to work you have to have Barren Glory in your deck Academy Rector in play and a little known card called Kaervek's Spite in your hand. Then eot cast Spite get barren glory with the rector trigger and win on upkeep

magiccards.info/query?q=kaervek's spite&v=card&s=cname

won't let me post the image

You should really copy it to tappedout, you can playtest the deck there too.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-tokens-wip-1/

Bottomless Pit

Bruh, just play Chainer. He's hands down the best Mono-Black Commander ever.

The End Times are upon us, lads.
Post whatever you've always wanted to, but never could. You won't have another opportunity to do this.

I built Nekusar. I'm going to fuck my playgroup hard and I'm going to enjoy it. After that, I'll probably never play it again

Now we talking
At first sight I can see some cards that don't fit the theme: Kaervek, Iroas, Shirei, Norin, Wort, Scholar of Athreos, Sheoldred, Whispering One.

I'd focus more in the ETB make tokens theme, sinci it's more abusable with Alesha. Siege-Gang Commander, Mogg War Marshal, Geist-Honored Monk, Beetleback Chief. You can also go full Goblin theme, like a Krenko +WB

>that feel when my playgroup hate me for playing Yisan

I always wanted to play green, mostly BUG and Bant, but I started in esper, then turned into grixis, so I'm in all color but green. Turning into green would cost me tons of money I don't have.
I'll never have my own Tasigur and Derevi :(

I'm curious. Got a deck list?

Alesha is ok but I dont have a clear commander. I built the deck around Marrow-Gnawer, Krenko, Purphoros and token generators. I thought about Licia, Tariel or Marchesa as well.

I regret not investing into White.

I thought it was the lamest gayest color but now I'm seeing tons of OP value cards that I actually love, like angels and ghostly prison.

I should have started as a white player

>thread question
I'm not going to open that can of worms. Have a story from saturday I want to share though

>6 fucking people, myself people, playing some EDH
>Friend wants to play Arcum since he hasn't played it in forever, I decide to play Gitrog
>guy we call Penismancer, literally obsessed with penis and talks about cards that look like penises and wanting to make a penis deck, gets asshurt and says he's going to play his counterspell.dec, Baral as commander, and wants it to a 2v2v2 game
>says me and arcum guy have to be 1 team, penismancer teams with some dude playing scarab god
>me and friend just look at each other and are like ok
>penismancer boasts he has 31 counterspells so his deck is unbeatable
>game turns into us baiting him into countering random shit
>he exhausts around 15 counterspells on us and ignores the other 2 they were relatively new and were playing mostly unedited precons
>other 2 make little to no impact snce they are also getting countered from time to time
>draw into my combo, same with arcum
>being gitrog I bait penismancer to into countering my spells and let arcum combo to win the game for us
>penismancer gets super pissed and claims the only reason he lost is because it was 2v1 and his counterspell deck wins in multiplayer and 1v1 and that we're all shit at deckbuilding
>move away from him and play some janky shitbrews with the new guys
Afterwards scarab guy came up to us and said he got to look at the counterspell.dec it was void of any wincons besides beating face with torrential gearhulk

I'm going to introduce horobi to my playgroup that mostly consists of people who started playing mtg during khans.

SMOKESTACK. Start nuking your shit, do the math so you'll have exactly one permenant left, and budda bing budda boom, you've won the game and stax-locked a table.

why play with people like this

lgs players are mongs

>Baral counterdeck with no win conditions
I played against such a deck once. Never again. I will pack my stuff up and walk away from the table the next time someone wants to play this.

I'm basically running this. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yisan-altima/

>vomit.png
That sounds like the equivalent of snapcaster beatdown in edh but somehow worse

Did he had any counterplay to an upgraded precon playing prowling serpopad?

Our regular group was out of town so we went to the LGS. Plus side is we got those 2 new guys to join us
What I found even more sad was that from the deck the guy didn't even have good counterspells, he just stocked it with common bulk counters besides a spell swindle

I insist in the ETB tokens generators + Alesha. Is the best approach you can have in those colors for a token deck. You still need some draw engine. Mentor of the Meek is a good option. Will need more tho

Want to fuck up a combo player but my current deck is too slow to stop him. I need suggestions for good (but not completely boring) control commanders

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hokey-fright/

I have two degrees in liberal arts fields, with various specializations, and a post-grad in Emergency Management with a professional accreditation in Business Continuity. Right now I work in one of the largest car parts distributing warehouses in North America, and I'm hoping to get into a business continuity director job, which would jump my income from ~$50k a year to ~$200k. Before that I was a broke ass minimum wage retail manager, so I really understand what it's like to have nothing.

Personally, proxies are a touchy subject. If someone's deck is garbage, I don't particularly care, but if people start proxying Tabernacle and Chains of Mephistopheles, I feel like it gives you an unfair advantage. To keep it simple:

>1) You can proxy any card you own as many times as you like.
>2) You must tell everyone in the group you have proxies, and show us what they look like so there's no confusion.
>3) If a card is on order, feel free to proxy it.
>4) If your entire deck is proxies, that's just bad taste, but I'll allow it for a while.
>5) Each player MUST have a casual deck available at all times that can be played upon request. This is so new players can actually use their precons and understand why they suck. These decks can't run proxies, unless it's something like Sol Ring or Swords to Plowshares, and .

Remember to kick anyone who plays this card from your playgroup

Yeah man that card sucks to play against

Describe why you want to build each in separate sentences.

My group has banned islands and we are much better iff