/bgg/ board game general - Ameritrash Forever edition

Previous Thread Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

What's your favourite Ameritrash game?
What's your least favourite?
What are some interesting mechanics you've seen implemented in an Ameritrash?
Or talk about Euros.

Other urls found in this thread:

gmtgames.com/c-48-solitaire-games.aspx
twitter.com/dasbrieger/status/955581256053415936
youtube.com/watch?v=V2v02mqLC_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>favourite
Shadows of Brimstone

>Least Favourite
HeroQuest or Darkworld or any of those nostalgic 90's games. Darkworld is especially bad, but had some decent minis. These, to me, represent the worst of Ameritrash. Very random with little mitigation, static board, no campaign or story progression. Heroquest is the better of the two but doesn't really standup to more modern games.

>Favourite Mechanic
I'm a sucker for continual campaign, but that's not really a mechanic. The most eurotrash game I own is probably Gloomhaven, and I really like the main mechanic in that (play two cards, choose top of one, bottom of another), and the combos that go on with multiple players. With SoB, I really enjoy the exploration in the game, and the holding back the darkness, which gets more dire the further you go. Ameritrash aren't really known for complex mechanics though. I like rolling dice.

>What's your least favourite?
Fucking Talisman. Trash game needs to burn.

>57557936

The first one is jut pointless and messes with a main game strategy, doesn't add anything and allows for more kingmaking.

The second one gives the leader an unfair advantage. They are leading for a reason. If a card comes up "spend 10 resources", well, maybe they just got 3 or 4 from benig in the lead. At most, they might get ganked by two people, while everyone else tries to do their own thing.

Yeah, they are releasing 4 more version of it on iPad and Steam. Who plays it? Especially on a computer. Isn't it just entirely automated on PC and iPad? Computer rolls, you click one of two spaces, everything else happens without you doing anything.

Relic is meant to be better but I haven't played it.

was meant to be for in previous thread

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm pretty sure I disagree with your conclusions, but I'll keep an eye on those issues in future plays, see if I notice a problem.

My favorite Ameritrash is probably currently Mechs vs Minions. It has great production value and is very semicasual friendly.

Is that the League of Legends game? I don't play LoL, but how is it related?

>What's your favourite Ameritrash game?
Kingdom Death, pretty stoked to get all the old expansions here in a few months. Not like I've had time to get burned out on core.

What's your least favourite?
Ehhh sedition wars? There's a bunch of trash games out there, but I'd go with SW simply because the models are incredibly awful to assemble, even though they look okay...once you get that far. There's no game I simply hate, it's just either good like many others or it's terrible like many others.

>What are some interesting mechanics you've seen implemented in an Ameritrash?
The chaining ability in Nightfall always gave me quite the mental boner.

What exactly defines a euro vs burgerspiel game?

>What's your favourite Ameritrash game?
Shadows of Brimstone (Mah nugga )
Ehh.. Munchkin ? Monopoly ? Oh wait... Zombies!!! Pure unwashed ass.
It's not exactly groundbreaking, but I'm really digging the "shared dice" mechanic in TMNT : shadows of the past.

It has characters from the game, I've never played LoL but I heard that's pretty much the extent of it. Pretty fun casual-ish game, dont have to know the souce material to enjoy it.

There's no cut and dry rule. But on a general spectrum ameritrash will feature more luck and bombastic themes while euros will have boring mundane theme and more elegant mechanics. With some of the stuff that comes out recently, the lines are still very blurry.
Games that go either way in the extreme (say, a Uwe Rosenberg worker placement game vs a flying frog productions dicefest) are pretty easy to categorize though. No fucking way you'll mistake Last Night on Earth for a euro.

Since this is the thread that looks like it'll live I'll repost my questions here

I enjoy limitations.

Ashes, along with Ortus Regni (though not a lcg/ccg, still employs deckbuilding before play) limit how much you can do in a turn. Sometimes you can squeeze out some more actions with reactive spells/abilities, but for the most part you need to work around who has the initiative. That and deck constraints are tight (30 for ashes, plus phoenixborn and conjuration pile, 24 for Ortus); just changing a handful of cards can make a difference. At the same time, the decks do not limit what you can play from the outset as much as games with a slow burn resource system like Mtg or Hearthstone. In Ashes, if you roll poorly on your dice, then it is your choice to sacrifice cards to change their facing and be able to play what is in your hand. Ortus you can play anything, but there may be some prerequisites you need to set up first (need a castle before installing a lord in it).

Hi this is I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice.

She came over on Saturday. If you're interested in how it went, it was a complete disaster. I was very awkward and she became very uncomfortable. I was nervous beforehand so I set-up several games in preparation and I think this was a bad move because it weirded her out (she asked "how many games are we gonna play?" and I should have laughed that off but I immediately got panicky) and it made her think I was only interested in the games and not in spending time with her.

I will still go to the meetups but I don't intend to play with her for a few weeks at least. However, I understand that these were my mistakes and most of you gave genuine advice. So again thank you.

God damnit user

This is going to give me nightmare fuel and I got over my autism years ago

This has the makings of a Mike the Mint Man post. Sorry user, hope it works out better for you next time.

What are some good single-player board games?
;_;

Zulus on the Ramparts
Nemo's War
Space Hulk: Death Angel
kindgom death: monster

COIN games
Gaia Project
Mage Knight/Star Trek: Frontiers
I think Terraforming Mars is best as a single player game
Kingdom Death: Monster

boys, whats the best 2 starting player game!?

Lost Cities is pretty good

Finally I can post again!

>>What's your favourite Ameritrash game?
Probably Last Night on Earth. If you like horror movies from the 80s there's no better game to get that feeling.
Probably Eldritch Horror
Middle Earth Quest - how your deck is 3 resources: hp, movement and attacks.
StarCraft - the battle system
>Or talk about Euros.
Now that the dust has settled what euros from the last 3 years stood the test of time?

>it puts the meeple on the board or else it gets the hose again

I was not ready to see that kind of post outside of Veeky Forums. Good job.

Blue moon! No, wait...Summoner wars! No, no that's not quite right either- HIVE! Yes Hive works quite- no nevermind, it's gotta be Ashes. Oh this just won't do, but Sekigahara will! Sorry, sorry, that's not how you spell Twilight Struggle....

Any of the big multiplayer titles by Rosenberg.

Hide the Sausage.

GMT Games probably have some solid offerings if you're alright with wargames:

gmtgames.com/c-48-solitaire-games.aspx

Is analysis paralysis a real thing or am I being memed?

I keep or hearing horror stories concerning games taking much longer than they're supposed to because indecisive players weighing every possible move against each other. Like Ghost Stories taking 2.5 hours or Pandemic taking 4-5 hours.

I don't think I've ever experienced such a thing, but I've been playing with the same two dudes for a couple years now.

>Pandemic taking 4-5 hours
>4-5 hours
No way that's true. It takes 30 minutes tops to teach Pandemic and 1.5 to play if everyone is slow, distracted and bored.

In 4-5 hours you could teach the game, go out for a nice lunch together, have a youtube session where everyone waits awkwardly for their turn to bore everyone else, learn the fundamentals of economics and still have time to play 2 games of Pandemic.

Maybe he (the guy who told me of his 4 hour Pandemic game) was being a bit hyperbolic, but the question still stands and an addendum: if you've encountered this, what's the worst case you've seen?

while possibly one of the most traditional games I don't know if that's technically a board game.
Maybe if you kept score with a Cribbage board...

100% real. I'd get it real bad myself if I wasn't more paranoid about holding everything up than making poor plays.

it's more a player by player thing than a game related one. Some players simply process slower than others, and some just have crippling autism that prevents them from making choices unless they know 125% that it is most optimal.
Games can encourage it if they involve a lot of available actions with complete transparency.

Anyone got the pdf with instruction to solve gloomhaven's legacy elements?
I heard there was an official one.

Buy sinister fishes reuseable stickers .pdf

Been looking in to some kickstarters, but was looking for a broader view than my own narrow perspective.

What´s your thought of HATE and Nemesis kickstarters?

On one hand, I think the HATE game gives great models combined with a campaign system that says "I want to play Kingdom Death, but not pay the dough for it". But on the other, I feel like the combat system looks dull (not to mention been used like a hundred times before... I mean come on, roll X custom dice, is that the best you came up with?). And on a side note, the campaign was a bit of a letdown if you ask me. One free team and duplicates (dice, templates, board, you name it), that´s about it. All in all it will unundoubtedlye fun if you have a small´ish group to cacampaignith, but I fear it will become rerepetitivend boring reaching the ending of a crchronicleession. And the real dick move is that this game is Kickstarter ONLY! So no one getting it now is not playing it any time soon...

Nemesis however I really feel like it could bring a jojoyfulession. My group really enjoy the co-op games out there, and to be able to "betray" your team mates just looks like good fun if you ask me! A plpluside here is also the models, and the fact that Awakened Realms offer to paint your shit before shipping (for those of us to lazy to do it ouourselves. The downs then, well, with so much randomness (random rooms, random dice when making.. whWhatas it "sound") Im afraid it will feel like Ill be playing "having luck, the game". On this side however, the campaign looks to be really good, with great "free stuff".

twitter.com/dasbrieger/status/955581256053415936

Where were you when we found out that some Facebook rando was included as a named monster in every copy of Rising Sun?

Who cares?

>Hate
>combat system = roll dice
Just think of it more as a war game than a board game. If that's not appealing enough, I'd 100% pass on it.

Yep. Their loss and that dude's gain.

Well.. I do, as I stated. I was wondering if there was any other games out there, and or any other thoughts on these two I stated.

But judging from your comment, I take it your a bit slow, so don't bother answering posts you clearly didn't bother to read.

I automatically ignore any board game that uses "look how many high quality miniatures we have" as a selling point. I don't care for minis at all since they just increase the cost of the game, plus the game usually turns out to be mediocre at best anyways.
Most of the time the physical properties of minis, like direction, could be represented by a token anyways.

Well, its not just being a wargame and/or a board game. Its the fact that its been done so many times before in this exact playstyle, that I just finds it a bit dull that they didn't come up with anything new.

How many games don't we have that is "your model rolls X amount of special dice and looks for swords/shields/bonus, then alternate the final roll with cards". Its not bad, its just... Well, boring.
What makes me interested however, is the campaign setting and the upgrade cards (brilliant move if you ask me). Also the brutal art of Adrian Smith, which really lifts the feeling of this game.
What bugger's me though is, as stated above, the dull combat system and the somewhat bad kickstarter campaign. Had they rolled in the other two teams in to the campaign, it would have been a no-brainier for me, but paying $50 + shipping, extra just to get the essentials of what I think should be included in the core box is a bit of a downer.

Well, Im from the miniature wargames section, and I do like my games with miniatures. But sure, I get your point. If I didn't have the slightest interest in actual figures, Id skip them both to. The miniatures is part of what makes these games so to speak. Same goes with the art and story behind it, in the case of HATE at least.

what am I in for?

>Same goes with the art and story behind it, in the case of HATE at least.

The problem many have with KS like HATE is that they appear to be all 'story' and 'art' with little to no game attached, or attached as an after-thought.

>it would have been a no-brainier for me, but paying $50 + shipping, extra just to get the essentials of what I think should be included in the core box is a bit of a downer.

but you bought it any way right?

literally why we cannot have nice things. I can't wait for the KS that has a poster as the base, the board, cards, dice and 25 packs of character minis are each a KS exclusive and you'll get one scenario unless you buy every single exclusive.

this is the world you made. shut the fuck up about how you don't like it.

You asshats didn't tell me that I'd be playing Fairy Tale back-to-back multiple times every session. I literally cannot play another game because everybody wants to play Fairy Tale.

Also we had a run of homesteaders before switching to Expert cards. Bretty cool.

Well, the downside is that this is where the industry is taking us. You buy now, or never. And if you don't get everything, your bound to live with it, or be sorry about spending hundreds of dollars on e-bay to get the stuff you missed out on.

Its a sales tactics, and I think its sad that it´s come to this.

>You bought it any way right?

Well, Im thinking about it. What holds me back is this "all or nothing" idea. If I get it, I want it all, otherwise Ill bother not to get it.

>this is the world you made. shut the fuck up about how you don't like it.

I don't get it? So your not allowed to discuss opinions on an open board in regards to how a game playes out?

I get what you're saying, but I think of it more as buying miniatures that come with a rule set.

~65 miniatures (51+unlocks) for $120
You're getting some really nicely detailed models for $1.85/ea. Reaper models are usually $4.99+ and a little more per model for Games Workshop.

I'm personally all in. I only have a slight interest in the game itself, but being a fan of the artist and Chronicles of Hate has sold me on the Kickstarter.

So, $120 for a a box of models based on works I like? Yes please.

I'm even pitching in another $25 for the art book and I'm considering the add-on tribes as well.

However, if you strip away the IP/artist and have the rule set as the main driving factor with chibi/animu/whatever models instead then yeah I would definitely pass it up.

Then I choose to buy never. Luckily for every KS game, that's actually decent, there's at least one similar game that's just as good, if not better.

She's gonna fuck some Thad with a better deck

That's for removable stickers, isn't it?
I knew there was another option beside that, and right now I won't get them in time.

lots of downtime for 3+ players

HATE: "Highly Detailed" minis (Aka CMON PVC) is the selling point. The gameplay looks like a shovelware skirmish with a "campaign play" stapled to it, and damningly the minis don't even look that varied or creative. Play Frostgrave instead. I'd say KDM but KDM is all the money and co-op rather than competitive/skirmish

Nemesis: Seems OK if the idea of "Aliens: The Board Game" appeals to you. I'm getting a sort of "Dead of Winter" vibe off of it, but Dead of Winter was a mixed bag, good and bad. Take it or leave it.

I don't think your catching my drift. Im saying not only kickstarter founded games are applying this tactic.

Just look at something as similar as FFG. They don't go full retard as described above, but they do have their own "cycles", which in turn tells you, "if you don't buy now, you will never know when the next release of this particular product will release again".
Look at modeling trains, same thing goes on there, you buy now, or this will go out of production as we only make one set of these until it runs out.
Games Workshop is another example in the game industry who more and more pushes for "limited editions" of stuff regarding their games.
The list goes on, but you get the picture.

If you as a company can see that you sell X amount of product during a launch, and Y amount during the next 10 years. Now Z is a limited offer, a product you only launch once, and if you don't buy it now you will never get it. If X+Y is deemed less of a profit than Z, your company will most likely go for the Z option.

And why would Z be the most profitable option you say? Because we as humans are stupid and the market knows this. And if we know the stakes are high, and this chance might never come again, this alters the odds of reason and making a impulse purchase.

4 hour 6 player Lords of Waterdeep.

Didn't play it myself, but I saw it. The other night, I played 2 games of 6 player survive : atlantis, a game of Samurai Swords 6 player and something else forgettable, and the LoW guys were still playing their first game, 3 hours after starting, with two whole turns left.

I left, but it would have been another hour for those last two turns.

How can they make LoW take so long?

used Time Stories for 25 euros. Is it any good?

>HeroQuest
>Ameritrash
Er.

4 hours 3 player Caverna. Literally hell.

Just play the game. What is with everyone not wanting to play it as is. It's a boardgame, not an investment. Reusable stickers lol.

That's pretty funny

Kiwi guy makes a dumb fake wiki joke entry about himself that only him and his mates laugh at.

Eric Lang does 5 seconds of research and takes it seriously.

yeah, I know HQ, SC and those other Milton Bradley/Games Workshop crossovers were all UK. But even if they were out before Ameritrash became a thing, we all know that's the genre they fall under today.

Thanks for the imput. Yea, the selling point behind HATE is mostly due to be the miniatures and the art/story. And I fear that the teams and gameplay will only feel repetitive after a campaign. And if I get this game, I really want more out of it than one campaign before me and my mates all tire of it.

Bonus though to it being two game maps and tiles, which in turn makes you able to play two games at once during a campaign to speed things up. Don't know if its a bonus, but at least you don't have 2 guys sitting by the table cheering on when they can fight it out themselves.

One guy has AP, really bad. I refuse to play any game with him. Well, actually he refuses to play anygame with me since he holds a grudge for eternity and after one game of resistance where he fell for my lies, he hates me. He won't play resistance either. Fine by me :)

And two others also have AP. And I choose not to play with them either. I played Rex once and they crapped all over it the entire time, whinging about it being unbalanced and unfair.

They are the kind of people who only want games where everything is perfectly balanced (at least in their heads).

It's not my fault they one of them played the Bene (Xxcha) and proceeded to try and win every fight he got in instead of coexisting.

Those people are the reason I don't play euros at game nights except in private with people I actually know. And I like euros.

AP?

Analysis Paralysis.

>this is the world you made. shut the fuck up about how you don't like it.

WTF are you talking about there Crack-smoker?

That's fookin' hilarious!

Isn't analysis paralysis where you freeze up while deciding a move and can't think, rather than just taking a while to work out a move?

Frostgrave is amazing and for about $40 you can have an entire army of dudes. The minis are pretty good as well.

The only thing is terrain. But if you get "The Breeding Pits" rule book, you could use any dungeon tiles (from Descent or Shadows of Brimstone or similar) to play.

Probably some part of it, but some people are actually thinking through possibilities in their head and what other players will do and trying to optimise and they can't make a decision between two or more mostly optimal moves.

Eg, in LoW, you need 2 clerics and 1 wizard. There are two spaces you can go to, that will give you 1 of what you want, but what do the other players need. Which is better for you and worse for them. For some people, it's an easy move to make. Others will agonize over it and piss everyone else off.

I wonder if there's been statistical data on the time spent on pondering what move to make and the final points to see if there's a correlation.

Desu you probably worry more over non-critical turns than critical ones. Like if you make a move that makes you lose, you obviously didn't see what that move was at the time and you probably won't have thought about it a ton. The plays you really think about are the ones that might be minor nudges to victory or defeat.

Also there is nothing quite like being in that nightmare zone where you're considering next level plays from one of your opponents, like "but what if A does X and then I do Y, but B knows I'm going to Y so he does Z to bait me into..." and taking your turn, smugly feeling you have avoided disaster, and then the other guy goes and just makes a stupid fucking play that shows you weren't on the same wavelength at all.

Whats your thoughts on this game?
It looks like a quick two player game that plays quick.
might back this if it reaches its campaign goal

youtube.com/watch?v=V2v02mqLC_U

They probably do win more, but I'd rather have fun than spend 4 hours trying to win a simple game. This is why I don't tend to play a lot of Euros at public game nights.

I know the creators took it to reddit, so it's an instant no from me.

These kind of games don't appeal to me. It's like Santorini. I played a 3 player game, and was like "okay, that's it? let's play something else". This looks similar - simple ruleset, puzzly movement and interaction, no theme.

My gut feel is that after a certain point (like say, 5 minutes of mental math) there are tremendous dropoffs in the return rate of time spent processing to improvement in move quality.
There is literally a section of psychology and mathematical proofs from game theory that in absence of knowing what to do acting randomly is statistically the most profitable strategy.

If it takes you 30 - 45 minutes to 'work out' your next move in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe, that's still effectively AP since it realistically only takes a typical adult a matter of seconds to work out the optimal move for any given game state in a game of tic-tac-toe.

AP isn't simply the 'lack of a decision' but also spending far to much time and effort to reach a simple decision. I have yet to play a game of Archipelago or Twilight Imperium where the 'losers' were summarily executed. Spending 30 minutes on something that reasonably could be done in 3 or 4 minutes (and more importantly could have been thought through during the down time between your turns) is simply wasting your fellow player's time.

my generous impression would be this just looks like simplified chess, it's probably not going to be very fun to play because the guy who owns it will have the most experience and win 99% of the time
my Veeky Forums impression would be this just looks like gimmick chess; made simpler for normies but still finnicky enough to make them feel like they're playing a cerebral game.

You ever see the Stock Market program with the 'Monkeys vs. Experts' segment? They would have respect stock market experts make predictions about which stocks would climb (and thus which to invest in) and then they would blow up a wall sized chart of the current stock offerings. The Monkeys would 'invest' by throwing darts. Depressingly, the experts were only a few percentage points better than the monkeys when it came to predicting stock price performance. Yikes!

From now on I will only buy games with trailers done in the style of HATE.

Man, I thought it looked interesting and decided to check out BGG forums and... the outrage over this game. I just don't get it. It's grimdark Conan with a splash of 80s, but it's being marked as the fall of civilization rife with sexism, racism, and "toxic masculinity".

Did I watch the right trailer? I didn't notice any sexism or racism. I guess the "hate", cursing, killing, and barbarism could be "toxic masculinity", but I haven't a clue.

There was also mention of similarities to African child soldiers and the game could easily be reskinned to represent that.

Jesus. I just wanted a simple beer & pretzel game.

Why wouldn't there be an outrage there? It's the same community that felt alienated by uses of 'he' or 'his' in rulebooks.

The BGG community is so garbage. When Legacy of Dragonholt release, there were a few people concerned about the content, which is pretty much just 2017 gender politics garbage. Threads were locked, people were banned.

Can anyone suggest some decent 2-player games?

We've been playing Scythe, which has been a lot of fun, but I think works better with 3+ players.

We tried Netrunner, but there's too much pregame advantage in one player spending more time procrastinating at work on /tg and netrunnerdb

Got any ideas?

Try and look at onitama, i play it and its a fun two player game

or Star wars rebellion if you want a two player wargame

I'll check Onitama out, thanks.

Unfortunately our kitchen table is pretty tiny (barely large enough for the Scythe board) so wargames are probably out.

The minis don't look all that impressive either , its going to be cheap PVC plastic and they are touting their resin in the pictures and even the resin doesn't look all that good so the PVC is going to look even worse

All in price for this shit will make the core copy of KDM at retail look good. Paying 300+ for a fucking Cmon game or pay 400 for KDM easy answer if you ask me

I've never bought a CMON game before, but I'm hyped for miniatures based on HATE. Just how bad are PVC plastics? The comparison pics on the Kickstarter seemed fine.

Valley of the Kings, while not a specifically 2 player game is still pretty solid

Cheers also!
It doesn't need to specifically be a 2 player game, I'm mainly after games that work well with only 2 players

Stronghold 2nd Edition by Portal Games.