Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

What's the edgiest/chuuniest character you've ever made? Played?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI7VeIA7ZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're looking to wield a two-handed polearm two-handed while using a shield, no.

If you just want to use polearm and board, yes.

Spear Dancer
You may treat any spear or polearm you wield as though it had the finesse weapon special feature, and may wield it as a one-handed weapon. Spears and polearms include weapons like the amentum, boar spear, doru, elven branched spear, glaive, guisarme, harpoon, lance, longspear, naginata, pilum, planson, shortspear, sibat, spear, tiger fork, and trident or other weapons based on GM approval.

Gauntlet Shield + Bashing Shield gets you a Shield bonus to AC while letting you two-hand a polearm as well.

How about edgiest session I've ever ran?

Naxos Blackleaf is a level 5, gestalt, Kensai (Magus) // Evoker, LE moon elf.

>You make your way up the spiral stairwell that runs up the outer wall. On the walls and steps, there are runes of storms and necromancy. On the third floor, you make eye contact with a unicorn chained to a table. Its throat has been cut to allow the blood to run into carved glyphs on the floor, and its hide has been branded with curses denoting corruption in every language you can name. The worst affront to nature in this scene would be the woman on top of it. You recognize her as one of your customers. Unlike her steed, she is in excellent health. She doesn’t have any tattoos or brands. Something you see now, that you hadn't noticed before, are the antlers that would normally be covered by her hair. She looks at you. “Oh hai, Naxos.”

>Also in the chamber, chained to the floor, is a young air genasi. The chain marks on his light blue skin shows that he's been bound for most of the day. He is the source of the ozone and sweat in the room. He stares at you with a blank expression. He no longer has the water left for tears, and fear has broken his mind. When the door opened, there was a light gust of wind as he struggled at first, but there was no reason or hope behind it. His body reacted instinctively to the energy gathering in the tower. If there was any hope left, it disappeared when you drew your rapier and started chanting.

If I had written this five years ago, I could have been a lot edgier.

Dhampir Holy Vindicator who chanted litanies of all sorts of edgy things and used a +2 Wounding Bloodcrystal Scythe and rode a LG nightmare he beat into submission because that's how converting works.

>What's the edgiest/chuuniest character you've ever made? Played?
Nisha Long, alcoholic party girl tiefling paladin

>standard tragic tiefling backstory of childhood rejection
>pretty fair because of innate bloodlust and hunter instincts, pretty scary kid
>eventually kicked out
>hears the whispers of her demon ancestor
>goes to him and becomes his vassal, roving marauder for his various goals
>only stops her campaign of violence and thieving when asked to kill a tiefling priestess in the monastery she's raiding
>refuses, takes her prisoner
>'We are not so different, you and I!'
>"good night Wesley, good work, I'll most likely kill you in the morning" setup
>eventually quits and flees with her new friend
>slowly over several decades(tieflings live for a longass time) renounces evil, feels immense guilt for her sins, and eventually makes full turn to paladin
>drinks and parties relentlessly on her down time to drown out the guilt and her latent bloodlust

It was SUPER fun, but holy shit was it a catastrophe of cliches, magic realm, and edge.

Working on my setting and along with creating some custom races, I’m making a couple classes. I would like some suggestions for this one if you have some

A martial anti-spellcaster class that nullifies spells by cementing reality around them. Some features so far are:
>D8 hit dice
>Abilities are Wis based
>Innate spell resistance that stacks as you level up
>Proficiency with all but tower shields
>Lvl 5: 1/day+Wis mod create a 10ft zone where all magic effects cease, (except curses) and weapons lose their enhancement bonuses
>Lvl 3: 3/day+Wis mod grant yourself or an ally 20% concealment against ranged spells or spell like abilities
>Suggestions?

sounds shit famalam.

Can't deal with astral projection, ennervation. summons, makes itself weaker against monsters, still loses to mage's disjunction, can't benefit from allies buffs easily, low HD means it'll lose to other martials.

Hi, /pgg/, I've been out of the loop for a little while now. Are any of the APs released since Hell's Vengeance worthwhile? One of our players wants to try DMing, but he's not quite confident enough in how much spare time he has to invent a new campaign.

Arcane, Divine, or all magic except curses?
Give them a way to have all good saves.
How long does the level 5 ability last?

Give them Distruptive as a bonus feat. Look at the Spellbreaker and Witch Hunter archetypes for the Inquisitor for ideas.

Find an old copy of Lords of Darkness (3.0) and look at House Karanok.

can I add both the timeless and the flowing time traits to my demiplane? or can you only have one time trait

I hear a lot of complaints but not a lot of suggestions
>D10 hit dice?
>Fast BAB progression?
>Ability that removes buffs from enemies upon successful melee attack?

I forgot to put it in but it lasts rounds equal to class level. Thank you for the suggestions. In particular I’m thinking very high Wis save

I once played a nodachi-wielding, curse-slinging harbinger that mentioned blood every other sentence. He was edgy as fuck, but I enjoyed hamming it up when I played him.

Here's a suggestion that can be implemented a number of ways. I'll let you come up with any of them but you absolutely NEED multiple ways to no-sell or no-sell-reflect spells back at their casters.

Secondly, not have your own abilities fuck you over.
Thirdly, BaB won't fix the fact you can't just rip the casters from their demiplanes, so aspects of dimensional travel are a must.

Here's a suggestion that can be implemented a number of ways. I'll let you come up with any of them but you absolutely NEED multiple ways to no-sell or no-sell-reflect spells back at their casters.

Secondly, not have your own abilities fuck you over.
Thirdly, BaB won't fix the fact you can't just rip the casters from their demiplanes, so aspects of dimensional travel are a must.

>I already have my applicants picked out and i'll be posting pretty soon.
Bullshit, guy said hed choose on Thursday

What kind of paladin would this song represent?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI7VeIA7ZI

Literally everything about Skyfall is bullshit. That's how obvious bamboozles go.

Spell reflection: As a reaction, once you have been hit by a spell or spell-like effect you may apply the effects to the caster instead of yourself. If you choose to do so, you lose your next action. This can only be done to spells that are no greater than your class level -1

You may always choose to benefit from a positive magical effect, however, consult with the GM to determine whether this goes against your class (lore)

Material Anchor (6th level): you have become a walking tether to the material plane. Any teleportation or planar travel effects, including blink and summoning effects, cannot be performed within 25 feet of you. This includes teleporting to a location that is within that radius. In addition the DC for any scrutiny effects on that area is increased by +3

People have been saying it's a bamboozle for 2 weeks now but it doesn't much look like it will be
Sour grapes likely

>reaction
get out of here with 5e lingo. Have it function off AoOs and give the class wis-based combat reflexes otherwise you lose to quicken metamagic rods.

Secondly, your attempt at limiting teleporting ONTO something is a valiant, but noob-attempt. The problem isn't teleporting onto you, but getting to casters that refuse to engage with you. If you can't do that, you can't call yourself an anti-mage

I was using reaction as a turn of phrase. I’ll take that into consideration though

Notice how the last ability has no effective range and includes buffs and debuffs? If the opponent refuses to engage you in close range just use that range against him. Or find a way to sneak up on them so that they’re within that bubble when combat starts

First time playing pathfinder, normally a 5e fag, doing gunsmith. DM had us roll a d20 for stats and I got 20,16,13,8,6,5. Any tips for a beginner? I feel kinda overwhelmed by the amount of feats there are. Also anything in particular that I should watch out for or so on? I know 5e has some really basic things that are insanely useful if you're clever with it.

First time playing pathfinder, normally a 5e fag, doing gunsmith. DM had us roll a d20 for stats and I got 20,16,13,8,6,5. Any tips for a beginner? I feel kinda overwhelmed by the amount of feats there are. Also anything in particular that I should watch out for or so on? I know 5e has some really basic things that are insanely useful if you're clever with it.

The GM's shitposting didn't clue you in already?

Starting a PF game soon, wanting to play an Ifrit Paladin. GM is letting me swap out the two standard magical traits for "Fire in the Blood" and "Wildfire Heart". My plan is to light myself on fire and then charge the enemy like some kind of burning madman when possible. How bad of an idea is this?

t. Skyfall GM

A pretty fucking terrible one user, but you do you!

>want to use the templates in the Baby Bestiaries in my campaign
>can't bring myself to spend 25 bucks on pure fluff
Are there any similar "infant monster" resources anywhere that work with Pathfinder?

Probably a MtA character rather than a Pathfinder one, though I don't even know if she counts. She's a girl who killed her abusive parents when she awakened in a drugged deliruim, went through a life of prostitution and violence, and then wandered through life without purpose for most of her early life before being adopted by a kind Tamer of Water mentor and becoming an upcoming doctor

Her current life is quite comfortable, though, and she has a "live life to the fullest, take risks, and trust people, since nothing will ever compare to what you already experienced" sort of chipper and positive mentality. So, I don't know if she quite counts.

Hey guys, I'm about to make a psionic NPC for my game and I just had a random thought.

Is there really any reason to use Body Adjustment for healing over Natural Healing?
Assuming a psion manifester:
Automatic 15 health > 1d12

That said, I do really enjoy rolling d12s, but I don't know....

Apply the Young template at least once, maybe twice or more?

doesn't stop the caster from summoning things or calling things into pounce range and buffing them and mauling you with action economy. Nor do you have a way to bypass magical defenses or enter demiplanes

Sunk cost fallacy or something. I'll probably just look for another game elsewhere, and even if it was a bamboozle i still improved myself and my (apparently shit) writing
If its not a bamboozle and I get in then cool. If its real and i don't get in, I'll benefit by not being in a shit game
Speaking of which, roll20 truly is the worst way of making a group. No pre-existing bonds, no personability or anything

>"good night Wesley, good work, I'll most likely kill you in the morning" setup
How is any of this shit fucking edgy? Like at all.

Thought experiment:

All your characters are the same, except now they have zelda-style boss titles before their actual name. What are they?

I stopped playing Legend of Zelda after Link's Awakening. Give examples.

>zelda-style boss titles

you mean "boss titles like literally any rpg tends to do"?

>Any tips for a beginner?
Don't play PF, but if you must don't play PF with your GM. Patfinder and rolling stats does not mix well, in addition to this you're DM is having you roll a straight d20 for stats. This was never a thing and should not be a thing. Like it would be one thing if your GM was a wannabe grogtard, who insisted on the Xd6 whatever the fuck in order but he's not even intelligent enough to that. And if your GM is such a royal shitup in this way, I can't help but imagine all the other ways he messes up other games.

Straight d20 for fucking char gen is the fucking STUPIDEST goddamn thing I've heard in a while. What the fuck is wrong with your GM?

>DM had us roll a d20 for stats and I got 20,16,13,8,6,5. Any tips for a beginner?
Abandon ship.

So our group is getting a new player, and after looking at our group, he wants to play a samurai. Can samurai be an effective tank/meatshield in a (probably) low power campaign?

Can someone redpill me on Summoners?
No, like, for real though, I don't quite get their fluff/lore. How do Summoners come to be? Are they born that way like Sorcerers, or is it the result of some manner of specialized education/training like Wizards? What the fuck even *are* Eidolons? Like I get that they're Outsiders, but do they exist prior to being summoned by the Summoner? Outsiders are also, unless I'm misremembering and confusing my Pathfinder and D&D lores, explicitly said to have planar essence of some kind; what plane do Eidolons come from?

I mean, like, it's a cool class concept and whatnot, but I just don't have enough of a handle on the fluff.

>tank
Not really possible in pathfinder at all without a lot of 3pp support

Samurai can be decently durable, yeah. Carry on m8.

Tank in pathfinder means to be someone who gets in the way, leave this optimized tank shit out of it.

What are some things I should tell him to keep in mind with building a tank!Samurai? Like I said, more likely than not this isn't gonna be a highly optimized campaign(we have a Cleric who doesn't plan anything out and just wants to be a healbot for now, to give an idea of what's gonna happen)

Is there really no choice for Oracle for someone who wants to be in on a Storms or Electricity themed character, or am I just crazy? Wind has some of this, but I'm shocked (or should I say not?) that there's nothing that's just straight up "Electricity Mystery".

Is he new to the game, or just to your group?

If it's just low-power funtimes, he probably won't have too much trouble.

Both. He's 2 of our players(who are brothers) cousin. I've met him a few times. He's ok. The only worry I have right now is that this might turn into some high powered things if we're not careful(With a Cleric, a Ninja, and me as a Monster Tactician, it can go either way honestly) and he'll be left behind with nothing to really do.

Heavens is vaguely storm related

Infernal Dinosaur: King Dodongo
Parasitic Armored Arachnid: Gohma
Effete Soyboy: Tingle

Antagonize (Feat from Ultimate Magic) lets you either force a target to include you in its attack on its next turn by using Intimidate, or give penalties to the target whenever they aren't including you in their attack for their next 10 turns by using Diplomacy. Both of these are class skills for the Samurai, so that's a free +3 to all attempts to Antagonize.

Take Iron Will or something else to boost your Will save, Samurai has two bad saves and it's worse to fail a Will save than it is a Reflex save.

Also take Order of the Warrior as your Samurai Order, since you get scaling damage resistance against anybody you challenge.

Well, Samurai are decent and good at killin'. Their biggest weakness is honestly just paizo never making content for them.

I recommend he take a good look through the different Orders available, and to remember that Samurai and Cavaliers can take each other's Orders with no worries. So he could take Order of the Shield if he wanted to. Stem the Tide is actually a pretty good ability for someone who wants to stop people getting to their teammates.

I'm making an occultist!

It's 1pp only, so I'm thinking of going swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1/occultist (panoply savant) x. The swashbuckler level is so I can get dex to damage at first level (no feat taxes either, sadly) and for opportune parry and riposte, since I just really like that ability but have never gotten to playing around with it. I'll be using a rapier, and focusing mostly on buffs/debuffs and divination with the implement. I'm thinking of going for the mage's paraphernelia panoply, but I'm not sure if there's a better choice. Race-wise I'm a half-elf, mostly for the elf FCB from occultist.

Starting a new PF campaign soon, making a Tiefling and playing Magus for the first time. My stats are 9, 11, 13, 17,17, 18 without racial bonuses. My question is should I go DEX or STR? For the build I have in mind I definitely want high INT and CON (since I'll probably be up in melee a lot I imagine I'll be taking a good number of hits.) Right now I'm definitely leaning towards DEX and doing the standard scimitar play. Partly because of the +2 tiefling bonus dex, and partly because we're starting from level one so I really want high AC right off the bat, but taking two feats just to make scimitar attacks stronger seems pretty heavy. Like I said I've never played magus so I have no idea how much their melee damage factors in at the end of the day and I'm not really sure what direction to take.

Dexterity. It sucks taking up two feats to get dex-to-damage, sure, but the alternative is much worse

Strength magi can't benefit from two-handing while also doing spell combat, and you'll have to put off getting heavy/medium armor because you don't lose your spell failure chance in non-light armor until you have several magus levels.

Yeah you'll need two feats, hardly matters though since after those two feats you're free to take whatever the fuck you want. I'd recommend strength at 13, dex at 18 (20 with racial), con at 17 (since you wanted high con), int at 17 (19 with racial), wis at 11, and cha at 9 (7 with racial). If you wanna be a face consider picking up the student of philosophy trait, I'd definitely recommend wayang spell hunter/metamagic master/magical lineage and applying that to shocking grasp, then picking up intensified spell at 5th. You may also want pragmatic activator if you like UMD, aswell as magical knack if you want a single level of sorcerer for shits and giggles. If you take the sorcerer level, I'd recommend crossblooded primal (electric)/draconic (blue), taking blood havoc at level one, if you want you can switch one of the bloodlines out for the orc bloodline. This will get you like 30 extra damage on shocking grasp at level 10, but it's kind of cheese and probably a bit of a meme rather than going full magus.

Alright, thanks for the input. Last question, is dervish dance the go to dex-to-damage for Magi or is there a better alternative?

There are alternatives, but they aren't really "better" unless your DM lets you ignore errata by Paizo.

Slashing Grace and Fencing Grace can give you dex-to-damage with a non-blunt, non-Scimitar weapon, but they do not function with Spell Combat. Your off-hand must be unoccupied for the Grace feats to work, but it counts as occupied when you're doing Spell Combat

Gotcha. Already talked to my DMs about the graces and it doesn't seem like he'd be willing to ignore errata so scimitar it is. I appreciate the help.

What is the name for this sort of outfit? I'm going to give one of my PCs a special flying carpet with a few extra powers, but the carpet only functions for someone wearing the accompanying magic hat, which transforms the rest of your outfit to something in this kind of style. If there's not a particular name for this kind of outfit, do you think saying "Arabian prince" would get the message across? I'm mostly looking at the hat, pointy shoes, and baggy pants, and waist sash.

Also, what would be some good extra powers for a flying carpet? I was thinking that first of all whoever wears the associated magic hat is protected by a permanent Endure Elements and Resist Energy (Fire), and that the carpet itself is immune to fire damage and can be commanded to move quickly (doubling its speed for ten rounds) once per day as a free action. I feel like the carpet needs one more good power. The carpet is for the party's elven sorceress who specializes in cold blasting and the campaign's BBEG is an efreeti prince who is trying to teleport Golarion into the Plane of Fire in order to give it to a super-powerful dragoness, hoping to woo her and gain her hand/claw in marriage. The party fights a lot of fire-based enemies, usually outsiders, magical beasts, and the occasional dragon.

>tfw no feat to allow for decent Striker/Prodigy multiclass
>tfw can't be a literal fighting game character

>elven sorceress
>Arabian prince

Sir I appreciate your tastes in forced crossdressing. I hope she is secretly embarrassed about it. To answer your question though, instead of giving it a boost of speed I would give it the ability to teleport three times a day. In myth and legend, magic carpets were often described as having the ability to instantly take their rider somewhere far away, instead of just flying away. It was also said that someone on a flying carpet could direct the wind, so giving it a few spells like Control Wind might be appropriate, and maybe incorporate your speed boosting effect as something that happens if the carpet is traveling with the wind.

A psion can choose Body Adjustment when he gets to a high enough level.

You have to be an Egoist, or spend a feat, to get Natural Healing on your power list.

>do you think saying "Arabian prince" would get the message across?
Yes

So I have a sinking feeling that my neutral evil crusader in Wrath of the Righteous, who's only in Mendev because demons are a socially acceptable target for her bloodlust, is going to piss off Iomedae and get Chaotic Evil'd and teleported into the heart of Demonland.

Based on the character, if she has the space to do so before fighting breaks out, she'll likely drop to her knees in ecstatic prayer thanking Iomedae for gifting unto her such a grand bounty, and declaring her greatest among the gods, before going to town swinging on the demons while singing Iomedae's praises.

What can I do to ensure this character will survive the ordeal?

Is it too late to apply for Skies of Avalon

My fellow dm's, I have a question. How does one handle plot when your group is almost entirely murderhobos with one player who gets into things that aren't combat. The fights are going fine, I've got a pretty good grasp on encounters and the party strength, but when the roleplayer finally gets to do some facey bargaining or diplomacy the other players just tell any notion of avoiding violence to fuck off and attack.

How do I make them understand there's more to tabletop then rolling dice?

You pull the problem player aside and talk to them.

Introduce a sentient steel door and explain the only way to get past is negotiation

Otherwise, do what an actual person should do and talk with the players who aren't roleplaying

I've an idea. Have her gradually pick up a sense of morality from her companions, develop a sense of right and wrong. Basically, grow to a true neutral who REALLY likes fighting.

What does occultist do?
Is Panoply savant good?
What panoply should I pick?
If I pick Mage's Paraphernelia, which divination/necromancy/evocation spells do I want?

Two days remain, someone needs to do a shitpost review of the skyfall apps

If I have Pounce, does the Rhino Hide/Mammoth Armor bonus damage apply only to one attack or all attacks made while charging?

Whatever it wants.
Yes.
Trappings of the Warrior.
None, because Mage's Paraphernalia is horrible.

Occultist is THE jack-of-all-trades of casters without being a broken piece of shit like wizard.
Yes.
Panoply of the Warrior of you want to punch things hard, whatever else if you want flavor.
Whatever you want to build your character as.

Why don't you

Alright, I'll try:

They all shit, people who want to play PF are shit, the world is shit, this post is shit and I am literally shitting.

Is trading away half your feats on a Wizard//Investigator for Spheres of Might talents worth it for the Alchemy sphere?

RAI, one attack.
RAW, all attacks.

Making a chuuni Harbinger for my next game. The class is, by default, maximum chuuni anyways. Every single class feature has a cringy name, and the cherry on top is at level 7 you have Magic Aura at-will so you can make your left eye appear to be affected by Bestow Curse.

>Wizard
Yes. Bare minimum, you need Improved Initiative, and MAYBE spell pen/greater spell pen. Every other feat is just icing on the cake for wizards. You have bonus feats anyways
>Investigator
Maybe.

Which setting?

Homebrew. From the sounds of it, post-magical-apocalypse caused by too many artifacts chewing up the world's latent magic.

I'm at work

Late reply, but I'm playing a warder that is having damage troubles (16 str) so finessing or one handing is sorta out of the question.

I've heard from a few people that Mage's was an amazing panoply to take, what's wrong with it. Something about being able to be prepared with a few wizard spells and such. What's wrong with it?

Closest combination that gets me a chaotic good "paladin"?

There is nothing wrong with it, it's just that it's very Focus intensive and comes online quite late as compared to other panoplies.

Martial combined with inquisitor or cleric VMC:

Should probably mention, I'm taking the Exploiter Archetype with the Pact Mage archetype and get free Divination sphere casting. So I lost a feat to regain a familiar while still getting that teleport arcanist talent.

Should I just take a Hare instead of a Hawk to Bolster my initiative?

Warpriest maybe?

Ah, I see, makes sense.

Your initiative is the only thing that keeps you from being instantly killed. You tell me.

I'll go with the Hawk still for the extra delivery options for alchemical equipment, but still take improved initiative. Toss in the Divination Sphere Association's +1/2 level to initiative, I have an initiative of +8. Is that good enough, or should I go further?

Are Silksworn occultists okay?

>level 7 you have Magic Aura at-will so you can make your left eye appear to be affected by Bestow Curse.
It's also Cha-based so the DC will be shit and Gareth says this is intentional.

It doesn't matter if the DC is shit, it probably even fits the concept MORE that the DC is shit. The point is that you can be a WANNABE BROODING ANTIHERO CHUUNI FUCKHEAD and literally every idiot with an identify spell will know you're full of shit.

So much Touch AC is higher than my regular AC. Is that good?

Take the hare, it's never fucking enough. Always go first, never risk being afer the enemy. How the fuck else will you end the encounter with persistent metamagicked flesh to stone?

you what?

How?

It was supposed to say
So my Touch AC is highter etc.

Regular AC is 26 my touch is 29

That is for me to know and for you to not believe.

>That is for me to know and for you to not believe.
So you are either cheating or doing your math wrong, because being unable to believe mathematics means your math is wrong.