GURPS General /GURPSgen/

I made the thread edition !

What rule/s would you always use in every game ? Which rule/s would you never use in any game ?

Previous thread :

Other urls found in this thread:

kendelyzer.wordpress.com
noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/adjusting-swing-damage-in-dungeon.html
chainlinkandconcrete.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/gurps-fencing-weapon-rules-are-bunk.html
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=520470&postcount=4).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What rule/s would you always use in every game ? Which rule/s would you never use in any game ?
Weapon defaults are hard techniques. Combat Art/Sport defaults are average techniques.

Someone tries to rewrite RPM syntax into primitive programming language?

>using the outdated pdf
You had one job.

Would this user with the combat cards post his files so we can expirement on them? Maybe add to the mega.

>Incorrect punctuation
French (Native) [0]
English (Accented) [4]

I don't go for Last Gasp. I like it and the idea, but it takes so long to teach people that it ends up slowing things down too much

I always play with Hit Locations though. It's optional but it wouldn't feel like GURPS without them.

Sometimes I forget hit locations are optional. I mean, they're kinda fundamental to the balance. Thrust weapons have no chance of keeping up with swing weapon unless they can target the vitals.

Made another character I won't use because I'm autistic like that.
If the sheet is not clear on this point, he's dislikes criminals in general and go vigilante on them.
Based on DF Denizen Swashbuckler's Rogue template and Pyramid #10 Il Lavoro Veloce. Also backsword because I've read George Silver recently and the old chap says it's better than rapier according to the science of true fight.

>it takes so long to teach people that it ends up slowing things down too much
Really? I would expect most people to be quite comfortable with short-term fatigue systems, frim Dark Souls and other such video games.

Maybe you should just get smarter players. I used it with some GURPS first timers and they got it pretty quick. Also helps if you've got pic related or something like it.

I have a soft spot for Hatchets: swing damage, balanced parry, can be thrown effectively, very cheap (though improving can be expensive) and the skill used to wield it is generally good. Depending on your GM it can even be fast drawn (Kromm allows it). If your towns have control rating, it might pass up as a tool and not be confiscated.
Throwing Axe comes second, it's like a bigger version of hatchet with expected properties. More damage but unbalanced for parry, heavier (less chance of breaking), and higher ST requirement (higher ST ceiling). If you're going to a battlefield with a shield, it might be better than the hatchet but as a backup weapon the hatchet is better because of the aforementioned fast-draw and it can actually receive bonus from a defensive attack.

In the Broadsword category, Katana stands out among the others.
Katana is somewhat exotic weapon (glorious nippon steel) but I suppose it could be refluffed as shamshir or kriegsmesser. With that out of the way, Katanas deals average damage for its category but i has a few significant advantages over the other sword. First of wall, its swing attack has reach 1,2, being able to wield a shield (unusual for a standard samurai wielder but still) while doing swing damage at reach 2 is really nice. Second, it's somewhat heavy at 5 lbs, which means the only SM+0 weapon you can't parry is the Gada.
The Longsword comes second with similar benefits like weighting 4 lbs thus capable of parrying most weapons and its thrust attack mode has reach 1,2. Being able to thrust at reach 2 is nice but not as much as swinging like the Katana. On the other hand if you also have two-handed sword skill you could half-sword it (defensive grip) and go close combat to target armor chinks.Technically you could do the same with a Katana but I don't think it fit the style as nicely.

Don't forget the morning star. It doesn't play like any other weapon but can hit like a wrecking ball.

It's in this second part of the post!

Flails are very good one-handed weapons thanks to its inherent penalty to enemy defenses but they have a few issues. First, it requires a Hard skill with not much versatility. It only deals crushing damage, which is not that bad if the enemy is using flexible armor or you're targeting the head but you can't rely on that. Finally it doesn't make a good backup weapon, unless it's a bola but even then it requires too much investment to have decent skill levels for a secondary skill and the defense penalties are halved.

Spears are cheap to buy and cheap to improve. With a single point in Signature Gear you can have a fine balanced one. Unfortunately, thrust attacks have low damage but high wounding modifier, which means its damage output is much more affected by enemy DR than a swing weapons and if you face a foe with injury tolerance, you will have to rely on tip slashes. If you wield it two-handed it can enjoy at least +1 parry for as low as a single point in Form Mastery, it has better multiple parries and can try dual attack defenses. Very versatile weapon but poor offensive aspects.

Otherwise I don't think there's any other noteworthy one-handed weapons. Jutte/Sais makes for a good trick; Long knife, Kukri and Rondel Dagger has its uses; Shortsword and Cutlass are decent if not expensive.

Next post, fencing weapons!

Wouldn't that make more sense the other way around? Hard techniques are supposed to be risky stuff with a chance for failure. If you fuck up a kick, you eat shit, so it's hard. If you fuck up an arm lock, you just miss, so it's average.
If you switch your sword from 1 hand to 2 hands, there's no real extra penalty for fucking up, but on the other hand, fighting for real is WAY more dangerous than fighting in a tournament.

Fencing weapons. First of all, these are TL4 weapons and it might not exist in your setting but I'll consider it does. Also I won't repeat myself on thrust attacks so let's focus on the weapons with swing mode, namely Edged Rapier and Saber.
Edged Rapier is a good weapon, it can swing at reach 2 just like Katana but with -1 damage and can be wielded as Broadsword or as Rapier. It is expensive buy you can get it with 2 points in Signature Gear, just like Katana. As a Broadsword I'd say it's slightly worse than a Katana because of the price (scales badly with quality modifier), weight and min ST. As a Rapier it enjoys great synergy with Weapon Master and much better defenses, I'd even say it's the best one-handed weapon were not for the encumbrance penalty. Sure, you can go swashbuckler and expect your agility to defend you but if something bad happens and you get hurt, it gonna really hurt. You can mitigate with Armor Familiarity perk but it's a combat perk that can be restricted by the GM and costs extra points anyway.
Saber is poorman's Edged Rapier. Less damage, less reach, less weight... It has less cost too that in theory allows you to spend $300 on better armor but in practice you're either buying it as signature gear, in which case the cost difference won't matter, or you have enough Wealth that $300 won't be worth the downsides, especially if it's actually TL4 game with double starting wealth compared to TL3.
PS: Another downside of Edged Rapier used with Rapier skill is the lack of versatility of said skill. With Broadsword you could in a pinch panhandle $5 or $10 to arm yourself with a Jo or Light Club, or even just scrounge some improvised weapon. If your Edged Rapier is confiscated for some reason, you will have trouble finding a substitute. In other words, a fencer is less resourceful than a swordsman.

Conclusion, if I were to make a character with a one-handed weapon and shield as primary setup, I'd get him a Katana/Kriegsmesse and some nice shield. Maybe an Edged Rapier with Rapier skill. For backup weapon I'd get a Hatchet. Shortsword defaults from Broadsword at -2 but every weapon from its table is quite costly, adding Axe/Mace skill to the character expands his possibilities and the Hatchet is a very good weapon.

You're forgetting the pretty big inherent advantage of fencing weapons, that they can retreat for +3. Combine that with an offhand heavy cloak for DB, and you're going to be very hard to hit(if they can even get into range with your reach 2 attacks, coupled with retreats and steps, without overextending themselves)

I think I expressed myself badly. I meant what I think you mean.
If you have Broadsword at DX+6, Two-Handed Sword will default at DX+2 and Broadsword Art at DX+3. Rising 2HS to DX+6 will cost [5], doing the same for Broadsword Art will cost [3].

That is what I meant by "much better defenses" but as I remarked, it requires you to be unencumbered or have Armor Familiarity, otherwise you will be back to normal parry at medium encumbrance (not hard to hit if you're not focusing on ST and doesn't have money for the armors with better lbs/DR ratio).

Ah, I forgot to mention the Weapon Fencer perk from Alternate Dungeon II. If your GM allows it, it gives fencing traits when you're wielding a specific weapon. For example, you could use a sword with broadsword or two-handed sword skills while enjoying the reduced multiple parry penalty (except in 2hs mode because it already have this benefit) and retreat bonus. Of course it also means you will suffer encumbrance penalty.

Isn't just Weapon Adaptation from Martial Arts? A lot of DF stuff is just specific versions of generic traits from other books.

At first I thought so, but Weapon Adaptation perk allows a specific weapon to be used by another skill while Weapon Fencer adds the fencing traits to the normal skill. So:
Weapon Fencer (Katana) would allow the character to keep wielding his Katana with his Broadsword or Two-Handed Sword skill but with the fencing traits.
Weapon Adaptation (Katana to Rapier) would require allow the character use the Katana with Rapier skill and enjoy the usual benefits.

I'm trying to build a "Treasure of the Rudras" style of magic **Magics are composed of prefix, suffix and roots**. I've looked at RPM and it looks very good as something like this. still, i'm trying to find something a little less open-ended and maybe a bit easier. is there anything like this?

4e -> Unofficial -> user's Combat Cards. Threw up most of what I remembered to. Boxes are probably too small but can't test them out physically.

Can't help you, I only know about normal magic and sorcery.

>Treasure of the Rudras

So the only difference between Bastard Sword and Katana is that the former has parry U and its thrust damage have reach 2?
I don't want to be impolite but goddamn this weapon is awful. What sane person would trade parry for extra reach on a thrust crush? This is ridiculous.

Is there a technical grappling cheat sheet anywhere?

You are supposed to memorize it, user. Just like you can do Deadly Spring calculation in your head.

Thrusting bastard swords exist user. Try comparing those.

Don't even joke about that.

Use Symbol/Syntactic Magic as a base. Instead of Nouns, Verbs, and modifying parameters, maybe use Nouns as Cores and then make each Parameter into its own Preffix/Suffix technique?

For example, say I want to zap a single enemy for a fuckton of damage. I use the Lightning/“Tou” skill for this, obviously, but since I want to up the damage too, I’ll need the killy suffix—we’ll call it “Ren.” Normally, upping damage comes with a skill penalty/cost increase, but I’ve bought Ren up to +0, so the penalty isn’t an issue. I cast Touren at full skill.

This obviously needs some refinement, but it should work as a base. Symbol and Syntactic Magic are in the Flexible Magic chapter of Thaumatology.

>What sane person would trade parry for extra reach on a thrust crush?
One that lives in place where he can't shopping with armoury catalogue with weapons from every age and culture

>Thrusting bastard swords exist user. Try comparing those.
Those are slightly better, though I still think being unbalanced hurts it a lot. It's also $100 more expensive than Katana or Broadsword.

That's changing subject to dodge the question.

Wait a sec why does the Katana get a reach 2 swing what the fuck?

What would be good resources for running a game set in an accounting firm?

And with no parry penalty. It's one of the best swords, no meme. If the Dueling Halberd is the king of polearms, the Katana is the queen of broadswords.

GURPS Social Engineering, and 'GURPS Boardroom and Curia.' You may also want Pyramid 3/54: Social Engineering.
You might be a troll, but this is GURPS. You can fucking run that accounting game.

>longsword gets no love.

As I said further up, Longsword is a good sword but its reach 2 attack is limited to thrust, which is sub-optimal against any formidable opponent.

Do your group have co-GM/Adversary (B493)?

No, I seriously have wanted to run an Accounting game ever since seeing it and other finance skills. Also there was a story of a guy running a wrestling manager game, and I have a buddy who's going to school for accounting, so I thought it would be hilarious to do one day.

Radio communicators (p. UT44) are broadcast, not direct line, meaning they can link multiple devices. Is the listed data transfer rate split up between all people connected to it, or is it per individual?

Accounting games can go odd places, depending on who's hiding money where.

Stumble across a secret company project, higher ups embezzling, or money laundering and it can get real intense really quick.

Can somebody explain to me how slam with weapon and shield works?
If I do a shield rush, the shield's DB will be added to the roll. so if an average joe A with HP10 do a shield rush at another average joe B with same HP, the damage both will receive will be 1d-3+DB but A's shield tanks his damage, am I right?
So A takes no damage, A's Shield takes 1d-3+DB and B takes 1d-3+DB.

You've got it more or less right. Slam damage is based on the speed you moved in the last second and HP of each of you.

You take the damage if slamming with your body, otherwise your weapon or shield does. Whoever rolled less damage (before DR) has to roll DX to avoid being knocked down. If one person deals 2x damage of the other knockdown is automatic.

Weapons must be Reach 2+, add their highest Reach and have to be weapons that can be held with two widely spaced hands, like a staff, polearm or greatsword.

Damnit man! How can you be so considering and well spoken!? We won't stand for this here!

Tactical shooting and martial arts for when you find out how the boss is embezzling and laundering money so now he's trying to kill you to keep you quite before you can take a folder to the SEC.

>Players: So are we starting the game as adventurers in a tavern?
>GM: No, you are all middle-aged men working at a consultancy firm.
>Players: We take it back, Bunnies and Burrows is fine.

I'd play it.
Laaaame

Does anybody have the new Pyramid they're willing to share?

You are very kind user, thank you.

I prefer treating Slams as just dealing Thrust damage + Reach on weapons or DB on shields. (HP x Relative Velocity in Yards Per Second) / 100 in Dice of damage is just a clunky as fuck rule.

Don't know how that would work but RAW slam can be bullshit.
Get a medium shield and the Shoves and Tackles perk (or Weapon Master that includes shields) and do a 1 yard shield rush. You will deal 1d+1 damage while the enemy will deal 1d-3, that's pretty much guaranteed falldown.
It's all fun and games while you're the one doing it but let's see how fun it will be when the GM reverse it on you.

The other problem with fencing weapons?

>Blocks ur path

Doesn't matter for Edged Rapier.

New Grimwyrd articles!
kendelyzer.wordpress.com

A parrying dagger or something is very, very good with a fencing weapon too. Cross Parry is +2 to parry, let's you parry heavier weapons, and even in a worst case scenario you can sacrifice the dagger and parry a maul or what have you, intentionally letting the replaceable dagger break to save your sword.

>kendelyzer.wordpress.com

Nice. Just one thing bothered me..

>Demo-Rod (Two-Handed Axe/Mace)

>Damage: sw+3 imp +linked 2d cr

That looks blunt to do impaling.

Thanks user, i'm working on something with these now. I think I may have misunderstood what you were planning to do, but these will come in handy.

Here's what I'm planning on doing:
>Use HTML/CSS instead of gimp, since i'm mostly concerned with layouts. Can still PDF-ify and print to cardstock.
>Red and Blue cards are Manuevers, IE Attack, All-Out Attack, All-Out Defense, Wait, Ready, etc.
>Grey cards are modifiers to manuevers. They specify what types they can apply to. Deceptive attack, Telegraphic, extra effort.
>Maybe do another color for specific techniques later, depends on how much help I think my players will need.
>Ideally, players can look at the manuever cards, pick a manuever, pick modifiers to those manuevers. Just an easy way to present all the options. I think my players will grasp it better than the cheat sheets.

It looks like you were going to make individual cards for ranged weapons, etc, like each player would have their own cards. I'm aiming for something less tailored to each player, more generic. You (or anyone else) have any thoughts? My group and I are fairly inexperienced with GURPS but I'm picking it up.

How one would go about making an effective spearman? I can see a few scenarios:
1) Just as armors starts becoming ineffective with the introduction of firearms, spears becomes ineffective against better armors, full stop. That's how things were and there's no way around it in simulationist games. Give it up and go for things that actually worked, that is polearms.

2) If you're willing to go cinematic and introduce unrealistic stuff, a spear could be made as armor-piercer (LTC2) for +9 CF, reducing damage by 1 but giving it armor divisor (2). This should help substantially. Still not very good against foes with injury tolerance, carry some chopping weapon. Or if it has weakness against crushing attacks (skeletons), wield the spear as staff and bash it. Making the shaft full-metal increases damage by 1 for this last case.

The secret behind Spears is that you've got one skill that covers everything from tiny reach 1 javelins and short spears up reach 4 two-handed pikes and throwing options. A broom handle could even make a decent improvised spear.

The spear is the perfect jack of all trades, and if you're a master of spear it makes sense to put 4-8 points extra into spear and completely neglect the usual backups like knife, axe/mace, etc.
If you need a C range option just reverse grip your spear, as a thrusting weapon this is great, and it's also the position you throw from so your opponent will have to be constantly wary.

Weapon master isn't great on a thrust weapon, but like axes and maces it counts for thrown spears as well. So again, more versatility at the cost of raw specialized damage.

On the topic of modified spears and injury tolerance, barbed spears are legit. Either for keeping your opponent at bay or for throwing. And they can be set to receive a charge.

>if you're a master of spear it makes sense to put 4-8 points extra into spear and completely neglect the usual backups like knife, axe/mace, etc
Should probably still put points into Staff, if your GM is not into combining Spear, Polearm and Staff into one skill.

Couple of words about the pdf:

Why didn't you mention the GURPSest of GURPS settings? Transhuman space, you know, Infinite Worlds.

With the launch of Dungeon Fantasy RPG it became the ultimate GURPS starter experience. I would suggest recommending it to beginners. And stop mentioning balance issues in Ultra-Tech. They are minuscule and does not interfere with newbies experience. It can be said even about Magic, which is while horrible, still can suit your first campaign.

Instead of Mars Attack (which, frankly speaking), nobody cares about why not mention FUCKING STAR TREK? Or at least Traveller.

Martial Arts is far more interesting then Low Tech for lots of players, btw.

Now about rules:
I usually make Will independent from IQ and allow every maneuver and additional hit location from MA. I would never allow Technical Grappling or to use any sort of Sorcery improvisation during the game - it slows the game drastically.

>How one would go about making an effective spearman?
Yse KYOS. Spears have excellent versatility and utility, but like every thrusting weapon in GURPS, they have the problem of being a thrusting weapon. Using Know Your Own Strength fixes this. The other way to do it is to something like this: noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/adjusting-swing-damage-in-dungeon.html
Both address the problem of swing damage massively outclassing thrust.

Apart from compound bows, are there rules for high TL crossbows? In particular I've tried to find a way to make a Deus Ex style wrist-mounted crossbow for my space ninja, in order to deliver poison on armour-piercing bolts.

Even with APEP rounds Ultra-Tech's wrist needler has very poor effectiveness against armour.

I made an effective spearman by pouring points into targetted attack (face, neck and vitals), and using a lot of all-out attack (double). Grip Mastery is also essential, in order to be able to fight close-up enemies.

With UT, probably the best way to do armour penetrating poison is with nanotech ammo - a crossbow bolt is much larger than a bullet, so it would carry a far higher payload.

Thoughts on these Alternate Melee Weapon specialities (a-la Alternate Guns), /gurpsgen/?

Here's the link in pic related for the fencing changes. Not my blog but I agree so it's incorporated. chainlinkandconcrete.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/gurps-fencing-weapon-rules-are-bunk.html

Thanks, but I was looking for making the crossbow itself better, things like making it faster to load, or lighter.

Spears aren't hopeless, even if you aren't playing a fantastic game..

1) Lots of people don't have full armor. DR 4+ armor that covers all major areas should be the domain of knights, huscars, samarui, aswaran, kshatriya, elite mercenaries like gallowglass ect.

For people with armor over the torso/vitals and skull only (pretty common) the spear can deal wounds to unarmored limbs and faces. IMP isn't great for that, but you can wear someone down that way. For people without armor a shot to the vitals is deadly.

2) Versatility and utility are good. Spear, Staff and Judo can create a combination of combat skills that can cover nearly any situation.

3) Spear, for bayonets, is really good in TL 4/ early 5 games where a musket is a great weapon but you really need something for close combat. Most people abandon armor as guns become more common, so the spear's back, baby.

I did something similar, but just made two handed weapon use be a perk, and otherwise two-handed weapons were used at -2. The added versatility doesn't really change much, most people are only going to use one weapon in most fights anyway.

It seems weird to have swords broken into 3 skills and axes in one skill, ignoring size. I'd suggest either more axe/mace skills or consolidating swordsmanship into a single skill.

All swordsmanship as one skill is way too simplistic. Axes however tend not to vary too much with blade size. Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that the long axes (reach 2+) are rolled into polearm, rather than being part of 2h axe, so it's not such a broad skill as you think.

Familiarities would make sense to with that kind of skillset; A player would take a -2 for using a broadsword, if they usually fight with a rapier for example.

That's already incorporated if you read the image.

I glazed over it, admittedly. I think that solves the problem, then.

Eeh, staff is +2 parry, 8 points and spear in defensive grip gives the same +2 parry when you need it, and you have a constant +2 to offensive use of skill.
Or you can use a shield when the situation calls for it due the versatility of spears. Even a large one is often acceptable due to decent reach.

Staff only really makes sense to me if you're a low low budget speardude, with weapon skill at DX+1 or so. 4 points in spear, 1 point in staff for example makes a lot of sense.

Or play on lower realistic levels where thrust can compete. 100-150 points, that way you don't have to deal with the mess that is KYoS
Spears just aren't very good anime weapons

What's messy about KYoS?

The way it handles ST and interaction with the rest of the system.

>The way it handles ST and interaction with the rest of the system.

Should have realized you were just baiting. Carry on then, here's your (you)

That doesn't tell us anything user.

What part of it don't you understand? You're not that familiar with GURPS I take it?
Think about all the numerous ways that ST is modified outside of raw character points or interacts with other parts of the system. Drugs, spells, potions, power armor, contests of ST vs Skill... I don't have time to list them all, but there are a ton of issues KyoS don't account for, and you have to do your own hack-jobs if you try to implement it, thus making it messy.

Check out “The Arrow of Progress” in issue #3/96 of Pyramid.

>The spear is the perfect jack of all trades, and if you're a master of spear it makes sense to put 4-8 points extra into spear and completely neglect the usual backups like knife, axe/mace, etc.
Agree that Spears are versatile but I wouldn't neglect Axe/Mace and Knife, having those skills makes for a more realistic and well-rounded character. Besides, HATCHET!
>If you need a C range option just reverse grip your spear, as a thrusting weapon this is great, and it's also the position you throw from so your opponent will have to be constantly wary.
You can only attack at C range if you're wielding a Javelin or Short Spear. Normal Spear in reversed grip keeps its reach 1 (MA112 and forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=520470&postcount=4).
Unless you started with those weapons, drawing them will require a Ready maneuver because there's no Fast-Draw (Spear). IIRC there's no rule for drawing a weapon with reversed grip, if so that's another Ready unless you have Grip Mastery (you probably do) or Reverse Grip technique (why does it even exist?).
>Weapon master isn't great on a thrust weapon, but like axes and maces it counts for thrown spears as well. So again, more versatility at the cost of raw specialized damage.
WM's damage bonus is kinda wasted but on the other hand the reduced multiple parry penalty synergizes very well (-1 per parry if using it two-handed), reduced rapid strike penalty is nice and it gives access to Cinematic Skills. I'm particularly fond of the idea of a Flying Leap with a spear. You can choose to "only" double your leap distance and ST for +5 skill (concentrate for 1s and you roll against ESL+0), with ST 14 (including Striking/Arm ST), your thrust damage will have 3 dies which means +6 damage from weapon master, if the receiving end has no IT, it will hurt badly.

(cont)
>Should probably still put points into Staff, if your GM is not into combining Spear, Polearm and Staff into one skill.
Investing point in Staff is a waste of points because the way defaults works. If your GM allows buying it up as technique, then it's a very good investment (with Form Mastery it's essentially +1 parry for 2 or 3 points).

>Yse KYOS. Spears have excellent versatility and utility, but like every thrusting weapon in GURPS, they have the problem of being a thrusting weapon. Using Know Your Own Strength fixes this. The other way to do it is to something like this: noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/adjusting-swing-damage-in-dungeon.html
>Both address the problem of swing damage massively outclassing thrust.
KYOS depends on the GM, you can't rely on it. Also it can have some odd ramifications...

>What's messy about KYoS?
I never did an in deep analysis but I'm pretty sure it have some compatibility problem with animal allies. For example, a Horse would require less ST (or not, KYOS throws away No Fine Manipulator discount), which means less CP total which in turns means cheaper Ally.

(cont)
>I made an effective spearman by pouring points into targetted attack (face, neck and vitals), and using a lot of all-out attack (double). Grip Mastery is also essential, in order to be able to fight close-up enemies.
Vitals of any formidable opponent will be hidden behind their thickest armor so not reliable target. Face has a better chance of being unprotected but when it is, the armor is pretty thick (for example, DR7 greathelm). I'd say the chance of a Neck being protected is in the middle of the two before, less than Vitals but more than Face, probably a good target, yeah.
How did you use AoA? Long Spear to have distance as protection? It might have to do with my Cowardice but I dislike the idea of making AoA part of a tactic...
Grip Mastery is useful if your shield breaks or whatever and you need to immediatly swap to two-handed use of the spear or the other way around, you need to get a shield, maybe because an Archer appeared. Why would it help you with close-up enemies? I'd guess Javelin/Short Spear reversed grip but I don't know which spear you use.

Noted and updated

(last!)
>Spears aren't hopeless, even if you aren't playing a fantastic game..
>1) Lots of people don't have full armor. DR 4+ armor that covers all major areas should be the domain of knights, huscars, samarui, aswaran, kshatriya, elite mercenaries like gallowglass ect.
>For people with armor over the torso/vitals and skull only (pretty common) the spear can deal wounds to unarmored limbs and faces. IMP isn't great for that, but you can wear someone down that way. For people without armor a shot to the vitals is deadly.
Against most humans Spears are quite effective, as you said, the problem is against fantasy monsters. Spearmen are pretty fucked by Golems with high ST and IT (same problem a Swashbuckler have... But at least they can have Edged Rapier!).
Against humans (and other similar creatures), Imp damage to hand or feet are amazing! These parts are usually not so well armored and can be crippled by a damage dealing HP/3 so assuming a rather high HP 15 foe, you'd need to deal 5 injuries or 3 (actually 2.5) damage. Assuming DR 4 on hand and feet (from German Ritter, one of the most well armored guys in LT Loadout) and no WM, you need "only" ST 13 and Fine Spear ($120) to deal crippling damage on average.

Sort of. I was aiming for cards that were tailored to each option and would have a weapon box where you would precalculate the statistics, i.e. AoA Determined got its own card and Strong got its own, etc.., mostly because I wanted cards to be easily read and have everything prepared so you could just "play" it, so to speak. I just went ahead with a bunch of designs so I'd have options for future maneuver types, but the cards are easily modifiable so you can make them suit your needs, in ture GURPS spirit.

Card also looks good, but it needs more padding on the sides so the text isn't so snug against the edge. Makes it look better for presenting. That's why I was originally unsatisfied with all existing combat cards. Too crowded, too dense.

>you'd need to deal 5 injuries or 3 (actually 2.5) damage
Impaling doesn't get the wound multiplier for limbs and extremities.

On an unrelated note, it pisses me off that the Berserker version of Cu is some dumb evil Alter type instead of, y'know, just another Cu but uses his Warp Spasms.

We house-ruled that no one is allowed to use fatigue points to avoid ranged attacks, as we felt it just made everything that more drawn out

True that, my mistake. You need to do 9 damage then. Shit.W-Well, any opponent that has HP 10 and DR 4 on it's hands and feet are definitely going to be anything but mooks! Unless you're playing high powered game then you also will have your tricks like Weapon Master.

Do you allow Destiny, especially the 15 points variant, in your game?
Would you try to be "clever" with it? For example, making a PC with Destiny ("Will never lose a swordfight") fall off a ledge and die or Destiny ("Will never bleed") die by being bludgeoned or turned into a stone statue?

Only the variant that actually does something. I feel that the base version of Destiny is too vague to really be useful. Also, hot damn, those examples you gave do not qualify as Destinies in my book. Destiny is something like "Will slay a great evil" or "Will become known across the land," not "Won't ever lose a fight, don't bother rolling."

Looks really good, but I hate the names. Knife - Shortsword - Broadsword - Two-Handed Sword isn't perfect, but shortblade just doesn't work for me.

I'd be inclined to go with 'knife', 'shortsword', 'arming sword' and 'greatsword', naming them after the most iconic weapons of each class.

If you can find a way to sum up THS or IW in twenty words or less, I will try and fit them into the next version of the PDF.

I wanted to keep things short enough to be readable, so mentioning martial arts and dungeon fantasy more than once seemed unwise. I guess I could expand the Monster Hunters, DF, etc. comment into a bullet-point list and get rid of that picture.

With the adaptations, I wanted to focus on recent stuff. Prime Directive isn't quite what people think of when you say Star Trek, so that would need a bit more explanation and use up more space (and more importantly, attention span).

Latest PDF, since people are still using the old one for OP

Well I'm glad you like it overall. Regarding names; maybe Knife, Shortsword, Longsword, Greatsword?
But the names don't really matter, it's the mechanics.

I had the random guard in Dishonored and one of characters in Morrowind's book as inpiration.
Anyway, what version of Destiny are you talking about?

I think it’s from MH originally, but basically you get 1 “character point” per level that you can only spend on things like buying successes. The advantage changes “this is your destiny, hope the dice/your desicions don’t screw it up” to something that represents how strong your destiny is and is much easier to game out.