>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

previously on Modern General
→ →

QOTT:
If an effect an opponent controls gave you the choice to let both players draw a card, would you draw?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/competitive-20-infect-deck/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-infect-45027#paper
amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Innistrad-Hold-Line/dp/B00606JG44/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516825008&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=innstrad hold the line
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/casual-multiplayer-formats/690683-feedback-on-budget-fling-deck
mtggoldfish.com/deck/809246
mtggoldfish.com/deck/909225#paper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Draw a card Edition:
I foresee bad things for this thread.
>If an effect an opponent controls gave you the choice to let both players draw a card, would you draw?
No.

What can I replace to make this even better / faster. Price is not a concern.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/competitive-20-infect-deck/

The deck works by spawning a creature turn 1 / 2 and pumping it up for the kill on turn 2/3

-4 Larger than Life
+4 Blossoming Defense

Ban Lightning Bolt

Go away Des.

Make it this mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-infect-45027#paper

it warps the format. the fact that creatures with less than 4 toughness are literal canon fodder is ridiculous.

reprint brainstorm

Of course removal warps the format. So does Fatal Push. If you ban bolt, then the next most efficient burn spell just takes its place.
Go back to legacy

It's in my sideboard. This was a budget deck so I was wondering if there are more expensive cards that are direct upgrades. For example I considered Pendelhavens but they're of no use because they dont give mana if you tap them for the buff, and I need 1-2 mana quick on the first turn

Maybe ditching some of my 4 Larger than Lifes and Apostle's Blessings to incorporate 2 Blossoming Defences and 2 Vines of Vastwood? Blight mamba is in my side deck as well, maybe better than Necropede since it can be regenerated any time

Holy fuck I love that thanks a lot.

It's quite different from my deck, I'll make it as well.

Anything under cmc 4 is now fodder and useless because Push is printed.

Ban Push.

We going to ban Path too?

And Condemn, Terminate, Abrubt Decay. Oh, and Dreadbore.

The next logical step is to start banning creatures. After all, the existence of good creatures pushes bad creatures out of the format.

Go for the Throat is also too oppressive. It clrealy warps the format in favor of nonartifact decks. How did this even get past Testing?

Doom Blade is too good as well. No wonder Death's Shadow is so powerful.

And how did Deaths Shadow get through R&D in the first place? I mean, a 13/13 for ONE MEASLY MANA? Too strong for Modern.

>burn
>nothing really. Tron is annoying but people should be able to play what they want
>mono green stompy with ghalta
Thread q
>nah. Fuck yalls card draw

Anons, you can bait, goad into creating all kinds of shitposts.
And there's nothing like a good shitpost to keep a thread bumping.

Well the through the breach experiment was fun but it made my long game a lot worse. Lost me matchups I should have won. So I dropped it in favor of more beef.

>Draw a card Edition
How'd I do.

hi tg, i want to buy my brother a modern deck for his birthday. he's huge into wrestling/bjj; are there any decks that have a similar theme or something? what would a wrestling deck look like?

Well the only time it's a 13/13 is when you have zero life so ....

Deathshadow is a fine modern card. Sure it's efficient, but that's the format as a whole. It can still be blocked, pushed, pathed, terminated.

How is this deck? I have been wanting to play it for a while, but not totally sure if it's worth the price tag.

Goblins I guess? I know there's a card called goblin piledriver.

Or go the WWF route and play really handsome/muscley humans. May turn your bro gay.

Are you experienced in magic? EDH has a deck called Judo/Aikido, premise being you use your opponents resources against them. You could try and modern-ize it.

Wizards should fuck off with their mentality of balancing Masters boxes for limited. No one who buys Masters sets gives a single fuck about that, they buy them to get good cards.

Literally think-of-the-children-tier.

Read the thread, we're just joking
Death's Shadow is literally a 13/13 for 1 mana. It's right there on the card. It doesn't even die to Doom Blade.

If you don't want to draft them, just buy singles.

You should fuck off too. If there were less shit cards for mongoloids I'd buy 10 boxes.

Master's sets usually sell out anyway, so who cares?

Print more and sell more and make more money?
Masters sets don't sell out, more than half of them never reach the end consumer.
How fucking naive are you exactly?

So you didn't like being an ape annon?

Good use of color but it could use some more detail

Good use of color but i feel it could use some more detail

It's worth it. Super fun. Sometimes you get gross hands that donkey roll people on t2 or 3, but it can also grind out a long game very well. Has the tools to beat most decks. It struggles a bit against opposing combo decks but it can race and it's very tweakable so you can adapt it to a local meta easily. I see lots of burn and midrange, thus the maindeck baloth/thrag/skull. But there are tons of other things you could play in those slots.

>Print more and sell more and make more money?
They are intentionally limited run items.
>Masters sets don't sell out, more than half of them never reach the end consumer.
There's a difference between "not reaching the end consumer" and "not selling out"
>How fucking naive are you exactly?
I don't know, how naive are you? Wotc does these sets like this for a reason.

Being an ape was fun but it honestly made the deck worse. In grindy games I would topdeck TTB and wish it was a threat. It made me worse against midrange and control which felt bad since those are geberally good matchups for the big mana combo deck.

>black green and colorless
did eldrazi come to tarkir?

Elder Eldrazi Dragons are coming.

>They are intentionally limited run items.
No they're not. Not anymore. They're at Wallmart. Proves what I'm saying is correct. Print more, make more money.
Iconic didn't sell because the cards are shit for the price.
>There's a difference between "not reaching the end consumer" and "not selling out"
It's basically the same when distributors are the ones withholding the product from the market. Wizards doesn't distribute.
>I don't know, how naive are you? Wotc does these sets like this for a reason.
Embarrassing.

>Iconic
Iconic Masters is an anomaly that didn't follow the formula of other Masters sets on multiple levels. It doesn't prove anything for you.
>Wizards doesn't distribute.
Exactly. As long as what wotc prints is sold to the distributors, it doesn't really matter what happens from there.
>Embarrassing.
If you don't understand reprint equity, I don't know what to tell you.

>big corporation makes changes
>it doesn't prove anything
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dear god.
It obviously proves they thought they could make more money.

They don't do it for "equity", they do it for shekels. If it was for them they wouldn't even support Modern, let alone reprint cards outside of Standard sets.

>They don't do it for "equity", they do it for shekels.
Equity leads to shekels you buffoon.
>If it was for them they wouldn't even support Modern
Except they would and do, because shekels.
>let alone reprint cards outside of Standard sets
...am I being trolled here? Have you not noticed that cards of real value are rarely reprinted in Standard sets?

>Looking at building Affinity
>Mox Opal is third of the cost

Once I learned about the rules of +1/+1 counters on Manlands my interest in the deck grew a bunch.

If they wanted equity staples wouldn't be 80-40 bucks a card.
Hasbro forced them to make more Masters sets.
>...am I being trolled here? Have you not noticed that cards of real value are rarely reprinted in Standard sets?
That's the fucking point, genius.

>not 0 land Goblin Charbelcher
mumi, pls

>If they wanted equity staples wouldn't be 80-40 bucks a card.
Yes, yes they would. That's the point.
>That's the fucking point, genius.
So you are just a troll. That's good to know.

The Opals are not optional either. You need them.

Shit you're right. This shit is busted. How did this pass wizard?

What do you think of the builds with lotus blooms?

This one is pretty good, id say its a firm start for some sort of mono white dudes deck
amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Innistrad-Hold-Line/dp/B00606JG44/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516825008&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=innstrad hold the line

>not playing Wx deck with all lands being Plains of some sort, and using Endless Horizons to thin out your deck of all of them to set up for Charbelcher

Rate it.

>opens MSPaaint

> not playing Channel fireball combo and killing your enemy turn 3

plebs

>not somehow forcing Legacy combos to work in Modern

I win.

I mean, Modern does have kinda watered down versions of (some) Legacy combo decks.

Better Ornithopter is OP.

>not Channel Fireballing turn 1 on the play
It's like you don't even play Vintage.

He wanted a theme of wrestling. No offense man, but I don't see how that event deck is related.

I got just the deck. Grappling is all about hitting massive throws, and using your opponent's force against them, right?

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/casual-multiplayer-formats/690683-feedback-on-budget-fling-deck

A silly fun deck.

If he wants something more competitive, goblin piledriver and fling are both wrestling-sounding cards. Could make a budget goblin tribal and throw in some flings.

I haven't played the Bloom version as much but it always felt worse to me. It has a slightly better game against fast combo because you can make land drops and hold up interaction on the early turns and wait for a bloom to come off suspend, but i think it grinds worse. Scout is a better lategame topdeck simply because it blocks, and the deck wants to get utility out of its utility lands by bouncing them and replaying them. The instant speed land drops are sometimes useful too.

I'm currently playing Grixis Control and it's actually going pretty well so far. My current creature suite is:

4x Snapcaster
2x Tasigur
1x Kalitas
1x Scarab God

I've found recently in quite a few matchups I will have Kalitas or Scarab God in hand but don't want to play them as it'll use all or most of my mana and stop my ability to respond to anything my opponent does. I was considering replacing them with 2x Torrential Gearhulk, as while they're less able to grind they do provide immediate value, and can be cast on my opponents turn (casting them and flashbacking back a Cryptic also costs the same amount of mana as doing the same with a Snapcaster, which is nice). What are peoples thoughts? Should I try out the Gearhulks or should I stop being such a pussy and tap out once in a while and keep living the dream of making 4/4 Zombie Snapcasters?

I'd say Gearhulk. Scarab God is an awkward finisher compared to what you have access to in Modern.

>Well the only time it's a 13/13 is when you have zero life so ....
lmao look at this pleb not playing Phyrexian Unlife Death's Shadow :^)))

you need glasses m8, he has both gray and white in the mana cost
too easy to recognize the card

>Or go the WWF route and play really handsome/muscley humans
You rang?
Imagine slamming down a playmat with this guy printed on it, turned facing your opponent.

You're hired, welcome to WotC

yeah, like burn

Sneak and Show becomes U/R Breach, Storm exists (albeit looking a lot different), Reanimator kinda becomes Goryo's Vengeance, Elves exists (though becomes more aggro-combo than just combo).

>but it can also grind out a long game very well
Unless your opponent plays bloodmoon.

Yeah but fortunately blood moon is not a significant portion of the meta, and you can play 3 basics, and you can also just combo out before moon comes down. It's not unwinnable by any stretch.

>fortunately blood moon is not a significant portion of the meta
Which I still think is funny, because blood moon hits a good portion of the top tier decks.

If blood moon ever got big, I'd probably play a 4th or potentially even 5th basic and add some extra board slots to kill moon.

man why is utron so fun
am I retarded

mtggoldfish.com/deck/809246

Any advice?

I don't think you want Goblin Guide at all and Eidolon is fine just being a sideboard card.

Honestly I've had a devil of a time finding them.

play boggles

Any chance this idea works at all? I want to try out Paradoxical Outcome in affinity, with actual affinity cards.

I know it's going to be slower than regular affinity.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/909225#paper

The biggest problem I see is that Frogmite dies to everything (push, bolt, etc) if I try to make him useful by putting plating on him, but if I don't do that he's just a bear that the opponent probably cares little about. Might not be as big a weakness as I'm expecting.

>Playing
UW Spirits
>Hating
Eldrazi
>Brewing
Considering a UW tokens deck.

I have 2 Dusk//Dawn in the sideboard. Pretty useful against Humans, Death's Shadow, and Eldrazi since it affects their creatures and not mine. Also allows me to scoop up my sacrificed or murdered Spirits into my hand afterwards.
Would Settle the Wreckage be better, though? I also have 2 Blessed Alliance in the sideboard.

Would Cast Out be recommended as well, or should I stick with the not-slow Disenchant that are in my sideboard?

Gearhulk is better than Scarab God, but the fact is there's going to be lots of situations like you're describing where you either can't or just shouldn't play him. Also, when I used him, I found the best part about him to be his 5/6 stats, not so much the ability to replay an instant.

I mean... why? If the point is to run actual affinity cards, why not run Thoughtcast instead of Paradoxical Outcome?

Also yes, Frogmite isn't good and desu neither is Myr Enforcer with things like Gurmag Angler and Reality Smasher running around. One of the appeals of Affinity is that most of its threats are evasive.

I'm not really interested in the affinity (the one without affinity cards) deck itself, I just want to use the shell as a starting point to make a modern Paradoxical Outcome deck. Looking for advice on if the shell can be better adapted.

I think Paradoxical Outcome is a lot better than Thoughtcast if the stuff you're calling back to hand is recast for free. The cards I draw might be free, too.

It's too cute, and slow.

I don't have a mouse

Play Vintage. It's like Monastary Mentor, a dope-ass card that modern is a hair too weak for it to handle.

>If an effect an opponent controls gave you the choice to let both players draw a card, would you draw?
Sp if it was the only card in his hand he'd go to +-0. If I didn´t have cards I'd go to +1. Would only draw If I had nothing and was losing.

Can someone present to me valid reasons why mox opal should be banned?

No

i didnt think so.

There have been talks that lantern control will force the ban to be real. So i am seeing what you all have to say about it.

To go into more detail, cards are banned for one of the following reasons:
1. They enable a consistent kill (in actual matches) before turn 4.
2. They reduce competitive diversity.
3. They cause logistical problems at tournaments.

Mox Opal does none of these things.

No way. Lantern doesn't commit any bannable offenses. Even if it did, Mox Opal wouldn't be the card I would immediately think to ban to bring it down.

thank you kind sir

on a second note. What do you guys feel is the future of magic the gathering? alpha investments said it could be sold within a few years?

have you guys noticed a downward trend in quality through all facets such as quality of cards, gameplay, overall confusion and chaos, and a somewhat teeter totter like feling?

I started playing in dark ascension first booster rare ever was a vexing devil. i love this game but idk recently it just seems to be a chaotic mess..

I think it's the plane. Amonkhet was more consistent, but Ixalan is random shit, the plane