Cliché Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
When was the last time your party rescued a princess? How did it go?

Other urls found in this thread:

sgiz.mobi/s3/db383d6e148d
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never.

never rescued a princess, we did slap the shit out of a prince, though.

Never, but we did rescue a prince. He was an asshole.

Would a character with a Reach weapon benefit the most from Cavalier, or some other martial archetype?

Come at me bitchbois

Two-weapon fighting should be viable

literally any other martial archetype

We're level 7/8 now, we rescued a princess back at level 3.
She's queen now, though the manner in which the old king resigned was dubious. We'll go back there at some point and set things straight.

Might I ask why? I'm looking at Cavalier and it's all about locking down opponents, which a Reach weapon is particularly good at.

reposting from last thread. need more ideas
>tl;dr how do you make the bad guy survive a fight without some kind of hand waving "he escapes" bullshit

Reach's main benefits are effectively having +5ft movement for move+attack (Why would you ever do that unless the enemies are ranged focused, which is rare?) and easy disengagement.
That's basically it.

It was actually a doppleganger pretending to be him

>I think i mostly enjoy thinking and fantasizing about the game. More than playing it, at least recently.

Sounds like you want to DM.

half the abilities you get only work within five feet of you, unwavering mark only gives disadvantage if enemy is adjacent to you but the bonus attack does work normally, hold the line doesn't come online until level 10. Just grab sentinel and go Battle Master

Quite possibly, yes. My group has currently two guys DMing different campaigns (we choose which campaign to run that evening depending on people available), so i don't want to be third one.

...thanks.

So WotC brings up the three pillars of the game:
>exploration
>social interaction
>combat encounter

But I think those are not the true minimum pillars of a game. I would at least make it four pillars:
>exploration
>planning (including investigation/research/gathering information)
>social interaction
>combat encounter

Is there any other critical "pillars" that should be considered? I think the extra step covers the situations that get tossed into exploration or social interaction uselessly. I mean; scouting, taking watch, researching in a library, scrying, etc. are all things that come up all the time as a part of what players do all the time that ends up being reduced to underused skills.

The three pillars:

Murder
Murder
Murder

You have him fuck off quickly and have something to hold the party's attention.

>investigation
Exploration
>research
Exploration
>gathering information
Exploration and social interaction

What you mention are goals and tasks, not pillars.

Four pillars actually:

Murder
Murder
Theft
Intimidation and Threats

But investigating a topic isn't exploring anything, it's preparing to explore something it's preparing to fight something and it's preparing to talk to something. Same for research.

There's a lot of preparation used to approach any of the other pillars, and will interact with them all just like exploration and social encounters bleed into combat.

they've replaced exploration with "discovery" because they don't want to develop good exploration rules

>But investigating a topic isn't exploring anything, it's preparing to explore something it's preparing to fight something and it's preparing to talk to something.
How do you think you go about "investigating"?

'Pillars' really imply that they're mutually exclusive and don't happen at the same time.

Rather, you should stop thinking about 'pillars'. You should stop thinking about structure. Things should fit seamlessly together.

A magic item on his person that the players have a chance to identify as his means of escape.
Magic spells in general, beware of counterspell.
The arena undergoing a dramatic change like a cave-in, blocking off the path to him/her.
A wilder, more immediately threatening foe appears, giving the bad guy space to escape.

any tips for properly roleplaying while depressed

Imagine all the enemies you fight are yourself.

Put on an unnoticeable european accent
Spend a lot of time trying to get solo scenes where you go off and buy imaginary books or pray by yourself
When talking PC to PC, always say things like "we could all be dead tomorrow" or "I wouldn't be here without you"

RP is one of the only things that can distract me from depression no matter what. You poor man.

>three attacks by 3rd level
>limited to light weapons, so it dosen't work properly with the dual wielder feat
>bonus action when you're already TWF

TWF is already in a pretty good place compared to just PAM, what it doesn't get is something like GWM.

I'd just make the level three feature a combination of dual wielder and TWF style, so you don't need feats or level dips to do your thing.

Then instead of bonus action dash, let them move their fast movement distance when they make a bonus action attack.

Whatever you do, DON'T just sit around saying nothing, making half-hearted sighs when prompted to do anything. We have a player like this and it just gets everyone else down. If you don't feel like talking, tell your DM you'll be sitting that one out. It sucks but it's a social occasion that's meant to be enjoyable for everyone.

Depends on what you are investigating. You normally try to look up useful information, talk to a bunch of people, and bum around town looking for clues with the goal of using the information as part of a larger task. You can also make investigating an entire campaign, but it will still have phases with each part of it requiring a bunch of different tasks.

The larger point is that there is almost no support for the planning stage all players take in most games, and 5e is no different. Like you encounter a fantastical plant you don't recognize, so you roll some intelligence check to see if you recall anything - but it represents a vague time you may have seen it in a book or something. Or let's say you want to kill a thing, so you spend time trying to figure out the best approach with very little for a DM to help that along other than telling the players.

>good exploration rules
Are there such things?

I mean, good exploration is something that seems to be entirely DM dependant. How do you run exploration-based adventure, anyway?

>I'd just make the level three feature a combination of dual wielder and TWF style, so you don't need feats or level dips to do your thing.
Yeah reproduce a feat in a class feature, genius design

That might be the worst possible advice. You basically said "don't think about how a game works, just run it perfectly."

>You normally try to look up useful information
Exploration
>talk to a bunch of people
Social interaction
>bum around town looking for clues with the goal of using the information as part of a larger task.
Exploration

It's not supposed to be advice. It's there to say 'get off your fucking training wheels, scrub'.

>exploration
Sandwich
>social interaction
Turkey
>exploration
Sandwich

you or your character?

>sgiz.mobi/s3/db383d6e148d
Survey for this month's UA
Remember to tell them that reckless casting and alchemical casting should've been sorcerer features.

Cavalier is actually 100% not applicable with reach. Because Cavalier requires a 5foot distance.

I am reasonably confident you are a really bad DM.

But I'm already european.
Suppose I should just drop out, I'm probably just bringing everyone down.

I liked the system the recent LOTR game had.

Hey guys I want to make an investigator type character who specializes in the occult (think CoC investigator type) and was thinking of warlock/rogue or bard, what do you guys think?

I'm not sure but that doesn't matter. The point still stands. A good game shouldn't feel like a game where combat is a set thing that happens at X, talking things over can't be done during combat and you don't explore anything during combat. It's just one of your X number a day combats that occured spontaneously and you had little say in it and it was a transition from 'one part of D&D to another'.
I didn't give any advice on how to do that, just said that you'd do better like that.

Knowledge domain cleric. You don't need a god, you just need a domain.

Depends on what kind of patron you can think of. I like Warlock/Rogue, or maybe Rogue pure

As opposed to reproducing a class feature with a class feature?

It should give you an ability mod to bonus attack damage at the very least, since there's no way to get TWF style as pure barb.

If it doesn't replicate dual wielder in some way then everyone's going to take the feat anyway. Perhaps the best thing to do is give you TWF style, let you make the TWF bonus attacks with a light weapon regardless of your main hand, and some other perk. Then it stacks with dual wielder in a meaningful way but doesn't force you into paying the feat tax.

Is mastermind rogue really that bad?

>tell friends I am starting a game
>3 of them are really into it and try to guilt me
>1 is cool and is reliable
>I cant make the first session and I work on weekends so it will be random
>cmon man I got kids n shit can u make my char also i want to be piccolo
>Ill show up, dunno if I have enough time though

well shit

Sell me on your favourite old module that I should adapt for my players

>I wanna be piccolo
kek

Tomb of Horrors
Do I need to say more
Plus its already been adapted in YP

Why would I want to give my favorite module to a frogposter?

We only lifted a curse on a princess by putting her dead parents to rest but it netted us the King of a small country as a patron who backed our territorial claims and helped us refurbish a fortress with supplies, workers, and soldiers. So pretty well.

I really like it, it's just a very niche role of support for the party and being a dick to everyone else.

He's slippery, running early and he has an ability like cunning and goblin action to disengage or sprint and a bonus, and has a higher than normal movement speed.

>Knowledge domain cleric. You don't need a god, you just need a domain.

nigger what

cleric absolutely requires a deity. the fuck are you on about?

>The power of your Spells comes from your devotion to your deity.
>Choose one domain related to your deity, such as Life.
>At 2nd level, you gain the ability to channel divine energy directly from your deity, using that energy to fuel magical effects.
>Beginning at 10th level, you can call on your deity to intervene on your behalf when your need is great.

if you want to play a cleric without casting a single spell or using any class features, fine. Literally the closest thing you can get to "atheist cleric" is the worship of an ascended mortal or reveration of a pantheon of smaller saints.

>Lizardman Sun Soul Monk

Clone.

Kill old BBEG

Well, now that Im younger this makes killing you that much easier!

You can reflavor classes you know?

I mean I guess

High health pool and start fleeing early. Have reinforcements come in with the sole intention of stalling. That way he doesn't hand-wave escape. He legitimately escapes.

It more that it doesn't stack well with base rogue and also other archetypes are better, but it has its narrow place amongst them.

Give him a ring of spell storing that casts subtle spells to they can't be counterspelled

I want to spice up my Twig Blights so they aren't just another kind of animated bush. I had an idea about making them resemble more of a twig or stick, like one of those stick insects.

Also in the original Sunless Citadel they attacked Strength. Well Shadows do that already but not enough monsters attack the rest of the character sheet.

Running with this I had an idea about the twig blight being a wicked wand thing that attacks intelligence and has some kind of spell attack like a wand could.

Thoughts? Ideas for possible fake wands? I figure the basic uncommon wands, magic missle and web atleast as a sort of recharging attack. A dead wicked wand acts like a regular magic wand with so many charges remaining and doesn't recharge.

Do you post this in every thread?

maybe make them capable of turning their bodies into restraining vines/branches that grapple on attack and drain life from whoever they grab

WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins. It's a huge dungeon you can keep coming back to, has a number of adventure hooks, and isn't full of dead rooms (except for the two levels where that's important to the feel). It's Undermountain but better.

WG7 Castle Greyhawk. It's a fun old time, especially if your players are oldfag enough to get a lot of the references. Add EX1 and EX2 for more fun.

Until I get some kind of discussion or help with the matter yes. I want to bounce ideas around and off things to see what sticks.

Are there any adventures out there that involve genies? They seem underused.

I sort of have that with the Assassin Vine/Vine Blight already. I'm also trying not to make repeat monsters, otherwise what's the point in having them.

For 5e, for D&D, or in general? There should be genies in the 2e Al-Qadim adventures.

Not off the top of my head, at least not as a major focus, which is a crying shame.

My character at the end of HotDQ/RoT had a sort of ambiguous end, however (lost in the Astral Sea after doing the bag of holding in a bag of holding trick to sacrifice herself to take out a dragon), so I wrote up a post-game story that detailed what happened and how she got home. It involved the City of Brass and an efreeti you can meet in Rise of Tiamat named Taraz.

I personally really like it...but I know no one here will.

Yeah, alot of 5e adventures have you meet a genie, but not many or any at all where one is a major player

After writing up a description of my character walking through the City of Brass in the aforementioned story, I REALLY want to do a campaign that at least starts there...

>Once they got past the city’s walls, the streets of the City of Brass were much like any other, too, with people of all sorts of races moving to and fro conducting business, buying and selling goods, hawking wares, sitting at cafés, and so on. Iliira even caught sight a cutpurse or two amidst the crowded streets. Of course, the races were strange – fire genasi, mostly, the name of the race of red-skinned, fiery-haired humanoids. There were also serpentine creatures called salamanders; bronze-skinned dwarfs with hair and eyes that were actually made of real fire, called azers; and flitting to and fro, small, winged fire elemental imps called mephitis. Towering above all of them were efreet, few in number but obviously in charge from the way they carried themselves, often flying by with their lower halves transformed into columns of smoke and sparks.

>[...] Emaciated beggar children crowded the streets looking for food or spare coins, but efreet they accosted thought nothing of striking them with fist or fire – and they received little better from the other races. Several unfortunate souls hobbled by missing both a hand and a foot – the price for thievery, Iliira could guess, given stories she’d heard of similar practices in certain parts of Faerûn. Chain-gangs of naked slaves were marched through the streets on the way to or coming from souks, and twice Iliira passed the scene of an execution being carried out – not a quick hanging or beheading, but rather in one case the victim being hung, drawn, and quartered; and in another case the last moments of a woman being burned alive inside of a brass cage. Both times were accompanied by the cheers of an eager crowd, with no voices rising so high as those of the efreet who watched.

What kind of penalties and bonuses should I put on a player if they want to only hit a specific body part?

Have them gain wand charges on a successful attack, then fire off whatever spell effect they've got on the following round.

Then have them be more likely to turn into a proper wand on death if they die with unexpended charges.

I'd say disadvantage

> →
Talk to your group. Just say that you haven't been feeling 100% but you want to keep playing. You may just be getting inside your own head about this. Don't let this be another thing you beat yourself up over. If you have a good group then they want everyone to have fun. You're just as important as anyone else at the table. I used to play with depression and it sucked because I didn't talk about it and ended up lashing out at my shitty DM who would just shoot down any chances for my character to get some development. If they aren't going to be cool about it they weren't worth your time anyways.

generally I would let them hit whatever they wanted as long as it was reasonable. disadvantage if it's unreasonable.

YOU. I like you.

the end of my next session will end with the local king owing the PCs a favor/reward for saving his life. When i first planned it I intended to just give them a bunch of gold but now that just seems boring (not to mention the party has close to 40k already). what are some creative rewards for saving a king?

I was thinking GOO or hexblade, but no idea on what subclass for rogue, or how to split the levels

+1 weapons

Their own castle/fort/etc.

Either marriage to the princess, which they will have to argue who should receive

or a number of different rewards which they again will have to decide who should get what. Princess, Title, Castle, Trinket, etc

Land and titles, obviously. Non-hereditary ones, like a knighthood or something.

they have a set of +1s and one has a +2
i considered this but i just gave them a flying fortress and they're already pouring their income into that

Then give them more gold to invest into the fortress

Can you fuck off please. No one cares about your shit. /5eg/ is for anime, discussing why pathfinder is better than 5e & why shadman is such a good artist.

Of things that weren't mentioned: statues of the party in the capital city. Festival in their name. Secret Service employment offer.

Thing is I don't want to just give free wands to my players, much more comfortable if there is a chance they become a wand on death, or they become a wand that can't be recharged instead.

The method you're suggesting seems like some unnecessary bookkeeping.

it's true, it's all true

>the most retarded player makes a wizard
>the most creative plays a fighter
Why are my players like this

handing out wands like you forgot to bring chips for the dip seems unnecessary

>most retarded that guy makes a wizard
>proceeds to try and tank
>scale walls
>pick locks
>sneak
>runs into rooms/caves/halls/around buildings for not fucking reason

why are retarded players like this

Because now the idiot has the spells do the creativity for him and the fighter can really make is creativity shine with the limited tools.

Also be glad the smart guy isn't playing the class that can singlehandedly ruin your campaign