youtube.com/watch?v=Yz0nQSYnWwk
discord.gg/J8A3ZnS
youtube.com/watch?v=I4MWzukqod4
realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/oldhammer-how-to-do-it.html
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!xMJTxCyD
realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/mythbusters-oldhammer-etiquette.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Competition time!

Don't have a big folder on me, sorry. Will post some orks when I wake up.

I miss pub quizzes. I can get all the Space Hulk ones (B, C, D, and A) without cheating, but I'm not as well-versed in the lore from the Realm of Chaos books.

Yeah same, no idea on the RoC.

Continuing from last thread - what Orc books go with Rogue Trader?

On Adeptus Titanicus, watching this just before xmas got me back into Oldhammer!

youtube.com/watch?v=Yz0nQSYnWwk

Waaargh the Orks, and Ere We Go

they may actually be firing at the hive they're fighting outside

Freebooterz too

I always say this in /awg/, but check out Scribd, it's got thousands of Oldhammer .pdfs.

To download, you need to upload a .pdf of your own to keep their library growing. Ignore all the "free trial" and login bollocks.

>Waaargh the Orks
That's fluff only though right?

no there's a painting guide as well

Hello, i found this for sale, i was wondering, why does it look dfifferent from other 3rd edition rulebooks i see online? Can anybody help me? Maybe it is from a starter set? If so what differences could it have?

OOOOH, it's 4th edition, sorry.

Oldschool dreadnoughts are some of the worst models in the franchise. They look like some kind of Taiwan made junk in a Dollar Store bin.

Say that to their faces, not online, fucker.

I've never really liked Dreadnoughts or any of their new retarded cousins like Centurions

Those are some snazzy conversions, there, m8!

Me neither, but i appreciated the compact box design of middle times dreadnoughts.

Glorious.

Wil Rees went on to do album covers for Dio.

This must be the work of an enemy Stand!

Here is Wil's take on Space Marines with jump packs.

This is a very cool pic, but damn that pose, i can't ignore it.

>This is a very cool pic, but damn that pose, i can't ignore it.

I told you, Wil went on to do album covers for Dio. He improved quite a bit.

That being said, his illustrations in Rogue Trader are some of the most memorable for me, funky anatomy/poses/proportions aside.

this one always bothered me

what are they even doing on the sausage planet

Wargames General is a Veeky Forums discord server jam packed with appreciation for the oldhammer days, (especially 3.5-4th.) We'd love to play host to the groggiest, most halcyon day content you can bring us.

discord.gg/J8A3ZnS

Beakies I purchased last nite in an Oldhammer frenzy.

Thinking to pair them against so Knightmare miniatures space orcs.

I was having a look at the old white plastic skeletons and then the sadly OOP Wargames Factory ones. I think I missed my chance getting some updated versions of those old minis.

I stupidly eBayed off my skeletons army back in 00s. That & some Realms Of Chaos figures. I am an idiot.

Great designer / personality, dogshit writer.

I liked RT and 2e dreads equally, because they emphasised different iterations of the concept. The RT version felt more of an exo suit designed for intimidation and assault, while the 2e one better fitted the walking ancestor imagery they later adopted. Probably why the only recent dread I like is the Leviathan, it feels a bit like a melding of the two. I just wish it wasn't so fucking huge.

Did not know this company existed until just now. Fuck, now I'm gong to spend too much money.

Ironically these remind me a lot of the new Primaris units.

Money for the Money God!!!
I actually feel like these ahem, rogue traders, deserve all they can get - the original GW team that created so much seems dispersed & loyally working away on these sort of projects.

Agreed, the 2e+ Dread is the superior design, but the early one has a lot of character. There's a good review of its evolution here: youtube.com/watch?v=I4MWzukqod4

What would be the best way to buy oldhammer bois? Is there an actual store for this kind of thing or do I need to troll through ebay?

Stalk the ebay until you get lucky if you want originals, or you can buy some oldhammer styled bois.

I'm still newbie Oldhammer (if that makes sense...), but it seems lurking on various forums is the best way to bypass eBay scalpers. Haven't given it a try yet.

Oh, totally. To be fair too Thorpe, he's not the only awful writer they have and isn't the worst either. I think my main issue is that he is 'The Dark Angels guy' and effectively gets to dictate their canon since he's the only one writing them, rather than just another author that can be embraced or ignored. But I think that's really a fault of BL management piss poor strategy and GW's creative bankruptcy than anything else. See also: Abnett is the Guard guy, McNeil is Iron Warriors guy, ADB is Nightlords guy and Kyme is salamanders guy.

We have to go back.

Sorry, those were two separate points, replied to wrong post. Other one was to the guy bagging on Thorpe. I 100% support ex citadel guys making their cut and they are basically the only minis I buy as new now. As somebody else in the last thread said, long may GWs rebranding of their rotten core properties continue if it means they have less grounds for / interest in shutting down these little producers of 'real' warhammer.

Goddamn that quote at the bottom. That is solid gold writing.

There are quite a few small companies out there producing 'new' oldhammer models, though they largely seem to be chaos and green skins, with the occasional bitty dwarf or undead range thrown in.

Some more complete ranges i found of oldhammer stuff are fenryll and blacktree(eventhough blacktree is more 4th 5th edition fantasy then old oldhammer).
Any toehr suggestions?

Honestly 4th and 5th is pretty fucking peak. Art, books, fluff, minis...

I agree mate, on everything, but rules, i like old oldhammer's rules.

Titans rescued from the attic & painted up. Played it with my 4 year old son over the Xmas break & he loved it. It really is a cracking set of rules!

Nice stuff mate, always liked those Warlord designs. What rules were you using sorry, Adeptus Titanicus?

Unfortunately it seems like the weapon sprues for them are rarer than hen's teeth. It's a bit like how there are always loads of old metal Ork and Squat torsos for sale, but the plastic arm sprues they need command top prices.

Strange in a way how there's quite a few of these "old school miniatures" companies now, you'd think one of them would see a gap in the market for spares like arms, weapon sprues and RT-style Marine backpacks.

Oh, and bloody shields.

Yeah, Adeptus Titanicus. Luckily I kept all the bits & had the battle titans box too. I’d say if you could get enough bits for four Titans you can get a lot of gameplay. Agreed, it would be awesome if someone did some off brand titans. That said, some of the weapons are quite generic shapes, you probably kitbash them.

I would agree on what you said, but not the shields, if it's not original anyway might as well take any shield at all or even make them yourself. Oldhammer styled shields should not be high demand objects.

Keep an eye on Lancer Miniatures too, they just finished a kickstarter for a little squad of RT-style orks, and because the KS was so small it probably won't be long until they're available at retail on their site.

Try this guide from RoC80s (probably the best Oldhammer blog on the internet)

realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/oldhammer-how-to-do-it.html

RT marines were best marines imo. Instead of wise, monastic knightly types they were all psychotic ex-tribals and gangers pumped full of stims and indoctrination and it showed.

I made this document of Fantasy manufacturers a while back for one of these threads.

I should do one for Scifi too but it's a lot harder. The Rogue Trader factions are much more unique to games workshop than the WHFB ones are (e.g. there's tons of people making elves, but not so many making Eldar). It depends if you want stuff that REALLY looks like the old models (e.g. these orks ), or just has the same vibe (e.g. Ion Age's 28mm space knights)

Someone in the last thread pointed it out.

I feel like AoS/40k are losing their CUHRAYZEE 80's Heavy Metal aesthetic with every new addition.

Like for example all the art work posted in this thread is fuckin glorious compared to some now.

Does anyone have a link to the RT rulebook in PDF?

From previous thread:

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!xMJTxCyD

You have to look in 40000 --> Codices --> Older Editions

I searched up & there were 10 additional 1st ed books (all in there):

All in all ten books were released for the original edition of WH40K: "Chapter Approved - Book of the Astronomican", "Compendium", "Warhammer 40,000 Compilation", "Waaagh - Orks", "Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness", "'Ere we Go", "Freebooterz", "Realm of Chaos - The Lost and the Damned", "Battle Manual", "Vehicle Manual. The 'Battle Manual' was simply a collection of After Action Reports depicting the progress and the outcome of WH40K games reportedly played out by the White Dwarf editors and while useful from a certain point of view it contained no game-related rules or any other material, the 'Vehicle Manual' on the other hand contained a new system for vehicle management on the tabletop which was intended to supersede the rather clunky rules given in the base hardback manual and in the red softback compendium, it had an inventive target location system which used acetate crosshairs to simulate weapon hits on the vehicle silhouettes with different armor values for different locations (such as tracks, engine compartment, ammo store and so on). 'Waaagh - Orks' was an introductory manual to Orkish culture and physiology and contained no rules but was pure background ('fluff'), other Ork-themed books instead were replete with army lists not only for major ork clans but also for greenskin pirate and mercenary outfits. The "Realm of Chaos" books were hefty hardback tomes which included rules for Chaos in Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Warhammer Fantasy Battle (3rd Ed.).

How did that little shitstain get a job for life there like that.

GW was never without its share of whackjobs on staff.

Oh man I remember him. Power fist complete with mounted auxiliary grenade launcher AND digital weapons like a boss.

>MEGA COMA

How does it taste like, Veeky Forums?

We don't know, everyone who's ever drunk it and survived is still unresponsive.

> All this time we could've been calling Lascannons 'Blazoogas'

Such wasted potential.

Also snagged off eBay with the beakies. I only had the Space Hulk plastics back in the day & wanted him for a while!

Read this too

realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/mythbusters-oldhammer-etiquette.html

Join the FB Group, read the various popular blogs, make one even.

We're starting to sound like a cult, but Oldhammer is an idea more than anything. It's simply about having some relaxed fun, generally involving old rules and/or miniatures, storytelling and a bit of creativity.

If you ever go to the BOYL event there's as much resin and pewter on the table as old lead at times. And beer.

>Ion Age's
Damn, love ion age. Also thank you for thwe list in general.

>Oldhammer is an idea more than anything.

This. I would say the core tenets are:

> Gaming for fun and narrative rather than competition
> Use of old rulesets or retroclones
> Appreciation of oldschool aesthetics and influences (comics, movies, music etc)
> Use of imagination and a 'do-it-yourself' attitude to things like scenario design, modelling etc.

Doesn't even necessarily have to involve old lead (though it helps). The Tilea IC2401 campaign on the Oldhammer forum even uses new(ish) minis and that's one of the finest examples of an oldhammer campaign I've ever seen.

Let's nto rape meaning of words please, if someone kitbashes and scratchbuilds and has a narrative campaign in AoS he sure as hell ain't doing oldhammer.

Hence the requirement for old rulesets

If I remember rightly he was the trainee and they put him in charge of the order-only Journal, back when it was basically a company-published fanzine pre Black Library.

Lots of people think they can write (we all had a go), but not a lot of people can write fiction/rules/reports, so I guess their submissions were thin on the ground and probably not so good. Meanwhile he was writing every issue to fill in the gaps, and writing for White Dwarf as well.

Let's not do this, I think you've taken a somewhat extreme example of what have said, but:

>if someone kitbashes and scratchbuilds and has a narrative campaign in AoS he sure as hell ain't doing oldhammer.

I agree, it's probably not, as it omits something "old school". Oldhammer doesn't have a monopoly on thematic gaming.

For example though, this guy's AoS army is certainly Oldhammer. If he made a Khorne army for AoS in a similar way, and then turned up at BOYL and played AoS or Song of Blades and Heroes with them, he'd still probably get nothing but compliments.

Damn that is a nice army. I had a similar one (with more death guard) & sold it like an idiot.

Nice, good work user.

100% agree. 3metre noble Demigods that can supposedly take on 100 guys without breaking a sweat are dull as fuck by comparison. Give me a crazed, drug-fueled psychopath strapped into a hi-tech power suit any day.

> KIL KIL KIL

I tend to buy off Ebay then Recast, I know I'm not alone in doing this.

recasting tips? How'd you do this?

The easiest way is to make Silicone moulds and cast with Resin.

There's tonnes of info about doing this online.

I Pressure cast mostly. I do like to work with materials other than Resin as well - but Resin tends to get the best results for the least effort, as long as you don't mind models not being metal.

Technical support...

Really wish I'd bought more of any edition of Epic stuff but noone really played it in my area so I never got further than buying a small handful of them.

Does anybody know what's up with RT guys holding their guns in that werid way like that orc on the left? I see it so often and it seems such a weird pose, is there something behind it?

I miss my Blood Axe warboss being able to have an 'umie advisor.

Lol I love those impulse binges. Sometimes I'll lose 3 hours on Ebay or some shit finding old mini's and buy them for no reason at all.
>Baldhammer McOldfag has been possessed by a fey mood!

They're Orks.

This is yet another thing that Starcraft lifted from the era - all of the Terrans were actually convicts that Earth decided to shove into massive ships and blast into the ass end of forever space lol. Kind of like space Australians.

But it's not just that it's nostalgia because we were young. I think it's an obvious point that culture was thriving and very creative back then, and it showed in the wild variety of stuff. It wasn't the washed-out rehash monopolistic mess we have today. I know there still are plenty of Kickstarted projects and great shit from smaller companies or even individuals, but the hobby and genres themselves have become trendy and monetized to fuck and back. Nerd culture and the numale bugmen ruin another cool thing lol.

Who was using who though, really?

No idea but a lot of the stuff 40k drew inspiration from (70s/80s scifi comics and the like) tended to have characters cutting dashing or impressive poses as they fired their guns.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a deliberate parody

Yeah hobby companies in that era were little more than garage operations run by young guys and so they came up with a lot of crazy ideas. Now they are run by suits and everything is market researched to death.

Ahaha looks like the Ork version of Akbars or gangsters shooting.
The one in the left group direct center with his right hand forward on his gun looks like he's bump-firing, too.

Yeah, pretty sure it was in a White Dwarf, but much later than #97, probably in the three or four hundreds.

That's not irony, it's entirely intentional. The studio went back to first and second edition for most of their inspiration on 8th.

I think I asked this in a thread a while ago, but did anyone go to BOYL17?

I went last year (I was the guy at the fantasy table who ran the Beware the Jabberwock game and was also there for the Star Bastards! discussion at the hotel bar) and I'm debating if I should go again this year or not. If I know any other fa/tg/uys are attending it'll probably tip me towards attending.

Unfortunately not, I really meant to go in 2017 but I got cold feet. I'm not socially anxious or anything, but I kind of wussed out, even though it's like a 90 minute drive away and looked great fun.

I don't play much other than Blood Bowl and Heroquest occasionally, and my mind seems to be like a sieve for rules these days. I don't have masses of painted lead to show off either unfortunately, nor am I particularly active on the FB group or forum.

Also, since I got back into "the hobby", I've actually just been painting and collecting instead of re-integrating into the local community. The local club is all Horus Heresy and boring big plastic kit 40k anyway sadly.

Anyway, I don't want to put you off, so I will be going this year. Fuck it. Even if it's just to stand around, play a few side games, coo at the miniatures, and pretend to know exactly which miniatures Trish Morrison sculpted.

I miss the days when you couldn't tell the difference between lsm and csm unless you saw the 8 pointed star.

Chaos wasn't even properly defined as we know it until the Realm of Chaos books really.

I love the style of those two books, especially the weird pseudo-divine comedy fluff sections.