Low-fantasy medieval villages and towns

Let’s post pics of low-fantasy settlements, everything from shitty hovels to hamlets and small towns.

I'm gonna be running a game of Aquelarre, set in a low fantasy version of the Iberian Peninsula circa 14th century, and I need some art to show to the party to represent locations. I’ve been trawling Google/Deviantart/Pinterest looking for pictures of villages and towns (Party are going to be itinerant monster-hunters, so I don’t expect much happening in cities), but 90% of it is either too fantastical or minecraft screenshots…

I’m going to post some of the better stuff I’ve got.

Would this be considered High or Early Medieval?

Also witnessed.

Def high medieval

"High" or late. Or indeed not actually medieval at all. Early medieval architecture looked VERY different. This honestly could be anywhere between 16th and 19th century.

>castle/church on the hill
why does that just feel so damn right

goddamn, I might need to run a quest based on this

Y'all muthafuckas need Bruegel

Yeah, the boy looks fairly early modern to me.

this one has pagodas

>minecraft screenshots
Pffftt.

I can't even begin to imagine what any of these proverbs are.

Armed To The Teeth and Bury The Hatchet are in the lower corners.

Dutch here. I can also recognize "falling through the basket" (being figured out for the fraud you are), "feeling the tooth" (suspiciously interrogating someone) and "departing with the northern sun" (leaving quietly and/or in the dead of night. Because the sun always shines from the south, geddit?).

apologies for filenames its for a town i'm building on

Sorry to derail, but I’ve a question: whats a “simple” (for the players mostly, I don’t care if it’s heavy on the DM side) system to run a low fantasy campaign?

I’ve read a lot of recommendations for warhammer 2e and GURPS, but the first has the setting of the license as a core principle and the second is far from simple.

Barbarians of Lemuria is very simple and low crunch and will definitely work for quick and painless swords & sorcery.

Torchbearer if you don't mind abstraction and want to do something akin to darkest dungeon.

Crypts & Things also works, very modified version of Swords & Wizardry, with focus on Low Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery.

I've heard good things about Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, but I've never tried it. It's designed to run Conan stuff, and should be pretty rules light too.

Harnmaster. If you don't mind some complexity, but want to get a really well developed classless system for grim, very low fantasy.

Stormbringer. If you don't mind some complexity and want the most deadly combat full of maimings, where the world is going to end soon anyway.

Age of Arthur is based on the fate system, and I've heard pretty decent things about it. Worth checking out if you're into the history and mythology of the British isles.

Wow, lots of things to checkout.
Thanks a lot user!

You can also try Maze Rats and On Mighty Thews.

What kind of low fantasy campaign?