Captain Alatriste Storytime pt.2

continuing storytime from and swashbuckling in general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVgpWsbZf8c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The fight was a whirlwind of steel. Even the actors had come out from the courtains so as not to miss it.

picking up where left off...

Our monarch was not bothered that his guests, The Prince of Wales and Buckingham were witness to a spontaneous exhibition of bravery from part of his subjects...
... who they sometimes had to face in the battlefield.
The fact of the matter was that the man who was fighting against five had done so with unprecedented desperation and courage.
"Alatruiste!"
The Prince, in the few days he had spent in Madrid, had tried his hand at studying the local language.
"Excuse, Sire... That man and I have debt... My life I owe."

With that said, he put on his gloves, drawed his sword and...
"Steenie..."
ran down the steps, closely followed by Buckingham leaping in a bound into the Prince's Corral...

It was the kind of bout for the ages
Suddenly our lord the King finally reacted.
"I order this madness cease immediately!"
And as he yelled, his glove fell to the ground. This, coming from someone who reigned for 44 years without so much as raising an eyebrow in public to any kind of distrubance, said just how close the monarch of two continents had come so close to losing his wits.

Chapter XI: SEAL AND LETTER
The yelling of the guards making shift change reached to where Diego Alatriste stood by an open window in one of the yards within the royal Alcazar.
An enourmous desk was infront of him, and solemnly behind it was Gaspar de Guzman, third Count of Olivares and Grande of Spain.
One could easily guess Diego Alatriste's thoughts as he stood in front of the mighty privy.
Specially because he recognized him without a spek of doubt as the taller of the masked men.
"Given a choice, I'd rather die by iron and fighting, no execution by garrote or dancing at the end of a rope."

But this wan't time for choosing. At least according to worried Martin Saldaña.
"By God Diego, this time you're in it good, no one can fight their way away from the person you're about to meet"
And he couldn't fight even if he wanted. Everything he had on his person had been taken from him, including the hunting knife he'd hide in his boot.
"In peace we are now."
Don Francisco de Quevedo was released by order of the King, who apparently had liked his latest sonet, As for the five swordsmen...
"Two escaped in the commotion, one was too badly wounded, as for the other two..."
The other two had been placed in a cell next to Alatriste's, but that morning the dungeon was empty
"In the end not matter how long you avoid it you dying, death will claim you, and those finally get to rest."

"Have you seen me before?"
The question caught the captain by surprise. But some sixth sense conviced him to answer prudently.
"No, never."
"Not even in the streets? at some public act?"
"Well... maybe at the major plaza, and similar places... it would be possible."
"Says here that you've served in Flandes and Naples, and fought the turks in the Levant and Barbary... a carreer soldier."
"Since I was thirteen, your Excelency."

"The Captainhood is unnoficial I see."
"Yes, I never made it past Sergeant, and I lost that grade too after a fight."
"Yes, says here. You had a disagreement with a Lieutenant and stabbed him... I'm surprised you were not hanged for it."
"That was my sentence Excelency. But later that day there was a mutiny in Maastricht; we had spent five months without any pay, and I didn't join."
"You dislike mutiny?"
"I don't like it when officers are murdered."
"Not even the ones who want you hanged?"
"One thing is one thing and another thing is another thing"
"I see, there's here a letter of commendation of the old Count of Guadalmedina, and a vouch from Don Ambrosio de Spinola requesting a pay of eight escudos for services rendered... was this pay granted to you?"
"No Excelency, one thing is the goodwill of the officers and another the will of the secretaries and scribes."

bump

Alatriste stood as the man kept scrutinizing document after document witch clerkly efficiency.
"Licenced with honors by a grievous wound... you seem to have a tendency to be wounded I see."
"And to wound, excellency."
"So it seems, I see here a scuffle in Naples... Ah! Insubordination during the Moorish rebellion in Valencia."
"I was a soldier, sir. Not a butcher."
"I always thought that Valencia was a glorious campaign..."
"Then you were malinformed excelency. There is no glory in saking hovels, raping women and killing unarmed peasants."
"And you have no qualms in killing as a sword for hire?"
"I don't kill children or elderly, your excellency."

The man went back to studying the documents. He seemed to meditate on Alatriste's words.
"Nonetheless, it seems respectable people speak favorably of you: young Guadalmedina, Don Francisco de Quevedo..."
"Though, Quevedo can both help or injure his friends nowadays."
"Also, the flaming Duke of Buckingham... and the Prince of Wales too. This very morning Charles of England inquired about your well-being. Even our lord the King seem interested in you."
Now the man looked at Alatriste as if wondering what to do with him.
"A pity those five brigands from yesterday didn't finish their task. That would've solved everything."
"You'll excuse me for not sharing that sentiment, excellency."
"I imagine. But tell me, is it true that a dew days ago you saved a traveling Englishman's life?"

Danger! thought Alatriste.
"Conversations like these are a one way ticket to the gallows."
"I beg your excellency's forgiveness, but I remember no such thing."
"Then I suggest you start to search your memory."
"I don't remember rescuing anybody. What I do remember, is that when I was hired for a certain job, my main employer specified that there should be no deaths during its completion."
The privy's eyes seemed like the barrels of a pair arquebuses to the captain as he spoke.
"And who was this man?"
"I don't know your excellency, he wore a mask."
"If those were your orders. Why is it that your companion took a different approach?"
"I don't recall mentioning a companion sir. But at any rate, other gentlemen that accompanied my employer gave me different instructions after he left."

"Other? By God's wounds I would like to know their names and descriptions!"
"I'm affraid that's impossible. Your Excelency may recall I have a terrible memory."
"I begin to tire of that defect of yours."
"And I warn you that there are torturers capable of curing any forgetfulness."
He stood in though for a moment looking over the papers on his desk. Then, he rung a bell placed next to it.
"I hope you don't mind staying here for a while more."
The air of familiarity with which the man that entered was emphasized as soon as Alatriste heard his voice. This was begining to look like a reunion.
"For the love of...! we're only missing friar Bocanegra and that damned italian to complete the quartet!"

The recently arrived man had a and air of pompousness and a contemptuous and cold expression, He was Luis de Alquézar, secretary of King, and this time he wore no mask.
"In short, it seems we have two conspirations in our hands."
"One, aiming to teach a pair of englishmen a lesson and take certain documents from their persons. And another, aimed to kill the aftermentioned."
"Of the first I had heard details of... but this second one is a novelty to me..."
"Maybe you, my esteemed Don Luis, as his Majesty's secretary might have heard something..."
"I'm affraid I haven't your Greatness. I too had heard of this first conspiracy... but as for a second one..."
Don Luis de Alquezar looked at the captain, and his brow arched siniterly, like a turkish knife about to strike
"I ignore what this man may have... ahem, said"
"Shepherds meeting, dead sheep."

"This man has told me nothing. He is here for another business."
"But, since your lordship presents such a delicate subject in front of another, I thought that..."
The secretary had gone pale.
"What I can imagine about this, second conspiracy... is that certain conflicts of interests may have arised. The Church, for example..."
"'The Church' is too wide an answer, or perhaps you speak of someone in particular?"
"Well... there are holymen who wield both earthly and ecclesiastic power. And dissaprove that a heretic..."
"I see. You refer to holy men such as friar Emilio Bocanegra, for example."
Alatriste saw how the secretary of the King could barely repress a shudder.
"I would not name his holyness. But since your lordship deigns to mention him, I'll agree."
"I mean to say that, maybe, Friar Emilio Bocanegra may be amongst those who do not look aprovingly of an alliance with England."

This is fantastic.

"I'm surprised you hadn't sonsulted me on that subject, knowing you harboured such worries."
"Your lordship knows how the court is. Many influences. Pressions."
"Besides, I know it in my heart that his lordship isn't exactly keen on the idea of an alliance with England... I would only strive to serve you."
"By God, Alquézar, for services like that I've sent more than one to the gallows!"
"Though I imagine thar Richelieu's, Savoy's and Venice's gold might have influenced your actions."
The secretary's servile smile dissapeared instantly.
"I ignore what his greatness could mean... I hipe his lordship doesn't suggest that I..."
"You? Everyone knows that I named you Private Secretary of his majesty. And I doubt you would be as reckless enough so as to conspirate against me, am I wrong?"
"Even less in matters where Foreign Powers are involved. Friar Bocanegra can do so because he is a man of the cloth protected by the church."
"But to others, it could cost them their head."

"His lordship must know that I am absolutely faithful to you"
"And I feel compelled to remind you, Don Luis, that I've filled more than one cemetery of absolutely loyal collaborators"
This boast said the Count of Olivares took his pen with a distracted manner, as if he was about to sign a sentence.
"Adn speaking of cemeteries... I would like you to meet Diego Alatriste, otherwise known as Captain Alatriste, have you met him before?"
"No. I mean that... ahem, I haven't had the pleasure."
"That's the good part of knowing smart people; no one knows anyone."
"Don Deigo Alatriste is a proper man, with an exemplary military record; although a recent wound and some bad luck have him in a tight situation."
"He seems a brave and reliable man... There aren't many men like him left. And I am sure that with a little bit of our aid, he might see better times"
"It would be a real shame to see ourselves deprived from his possible services, do you not think so Alquezar?"
"Very much so your lordship. But knowing the way he earns his life, I imagine that this Alatrsite fellow exposes himself to danger repeatedly..."
"An accident or something of the sort. No one could be blamed if something happened to him."

"It would be good then. That we should avoid putting the man in such dangerous situations. Do you not agree, mister Ryal Secretary?"
"Absolutely your excellency."
"It would be a real shame for me if it did, very much so. Almost a personal affront."
Alquezar went from beet red to whiteish pale as if he had swallowed sulphur.
"I understand... Perfectly..."
The minsiter looked amongst the documents.
"Maybe it would help to my peace of mind that you ran this benefit so that Don Diego Alatriste might be paid for his services in Flandes."
"That might help him for some time to avoid putting himself at risk for meager pays... am I clear"
Alquezar held the paper as if it was coated in venom. The anger and spite making the man gnash his teeth.
"Clear as water, your excelency"

"Then you may go about your duties."
And with an absentminded gesture, the most powerful man in Europe dismissed the King's Secretary.
There was a long silence. Rain clouds were apreaching the Alcazar.
"You remain alive because you don't deserve to die, not for this matter at least. And because someone is interested in your wellbeing."
"I am gratefull your excelency."
"Don't be. There is a third reason: There are people who, just by keeping you alive is the gravest insult I can inflict upon them."
"People that are usefull to me... but that sometimes are tempted to act on their own."
"Such a shame! With men of integrity you can win battles, but not govern nations, at least, not this one."

"As for any favor I've given you... The man who just left will never forgive you."
"Alquézar is cunning and crafty. His only weakness is a niece of his, a child still. I would suggest you avoid him like the plague."
"My word will keep him at bay for some time, but I have no power over Fray Emilio Bocanegra."
"If I were in your place, I'd heal as quickly as I could and flee to Flandes as soon as possible. It would be better if you had yourself killed there and not here."
Suddenly the man looked tired. Gazing at the paperwork over his desk as it was a sisyphean sentence.
"One last thing. An english traveler thinks, by some incromprehebsible reason, that he is indebted to you..."

"It would be expected that your lives will never cross paths again. Which is why he entrusted me to give you this.
Inside is a sealed ring and a letter, whose contents I've obvioulsy read."
"It is a request letter that asks any subject of the english crown to aid in any way a Captain Diego Alatriste should
he so request it, signed by Charles, Prince of Wales."
Alatriste opened the little box. the letter was a little bill, sealed with the same seal the ring had.
And then he saw the privy, and noticed that he had a smile full of longing.
"What I wouldn't do to possess a letter like that."

EPILOGUE
A cold drizzle began to fall over the slabs of the royal esplanade
I covered myself with the Cpatain's old cape, keeping my eyes on the palace's doors.
I had been there since morning, when the coach that took the Captain from the prisons to the royal Alcazar.

So absorbed I was in my thoughts that I didn't notice a whistling tune behind me, something like a tiruri-ta-ta.
"When I turned to see who it was, I had Gualterio Malatesta's gaze upon me."
"Waiting for somebody?"
Fear left me paralyzed.
"He'll be out soon."
"Don't worry, I've heard he'll be freed."
"How do you know that sir?"

"I was waiting for him too, you see. But I've just been told that I mustn't deliver the message I have for him, for the moment..."
"It's been 'delayed'."
My distrust of him was evident. The Italian just laughed, a cackle so loud as when wood creaked itself on it's weight.
"I'll be off now runt, but do me a favor. Wold you deliver my message to Captain Alatriste?
"Tell him that Gualterio Malatesta won't forget his debt to him. And that life may seem like a long time, until it ceases to be."
"And that we will meet again, someday..."
He made a half turn to leave, but then...
"By the way, the other night at the wicket, that was some good shooting... I guess Alatriste regards you as his savior."

Then he looked me in the eyes with those black eyes of his and a gaze hard as stone.
"I imagine we'll cross paths again too, you and I... but you know? I think I should kill you right now, while you're still a boy."
"Before you grow into a man and become a real threat to me."
He turned and left then, turning himslef into a creeping shadow, as he would be for some time.

and that is all folks!
hoped you enjoyed the story!
and by the way, stay tuned!
in the near future I'll also translate the Captain's next adventure!
coming a thread someday...
CAPTAIN ALATRISTE: PURITY OF BLOOD

You're a treasure OP.

>Alatruiste
Dat british retard-moe.

How many levels of bad luck does alatriste have?

Every problem he had was because of roasties. Serves him right

Thanks OP, this was a delight to read!

Should we archive the two threads?

Pues su merced, yo no le dire mas que dios ha hecho al hombre, hombre, y a la mujer, mujer...
t. Alatriste on all of his fucking problems.

We must

reading bump

thread theme, tribute song to Alatriste
youtube.com/watch?v=eVgpWsbZf8c

Nice, bumping for reading.

seconded