/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Welcome to Battletech mech upgrades! Edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-01-24 - Still getting worked on & now has 22756 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=obu0XTR1gBo
youtube.com/watch?v=dM3HxiZprPo
youtube.com/watch?v=dTiz-lB52Cw
sarna.net/wiki/Decision_at_Thunder_Rift
youtube.com/watch?v=kWkZYwNs4KU
youtube.com/watch?v=R57Sk_mf05c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Wolverines were the only “good” clan

Charger and Hatamoto-Chi? You got it!

First for Pardoe only knows how to write the flawless good guy faction and the dumbass retards who exist solely to make them feel bad and give them someone to be morally and militarily superior to, and that Betrayal of Ideals *reduced* all the nuance and interesting shit about the Wolverine Annihilation to a pure black v white story.

Battletech kinda wotks best in good vs bad guys. 50 shades of everyones grey leads to xin shing.
Do you want xin shing lois? Because this is how you get xin shing!

新生新生新生!
我的国最高!
t.孫武

Ahem... why haven't we talked any artfags to do some BT chibies or SDs yet?
There's so little of that in BT as a whole and it's definitely much easier to not screw up than the million and a half "Look at me, I can't draw for shit but still made this elementary school art class project-level drawing of Marauder #542153!".

I have an idea for a dual wave of /btg/ design challenges that I think would be fun and I could integrate into my mercenary campaign working for the Taurian Concordat.

The first challenge is this: design a new variant of Concordat-manufactured mech (Acher, Marauder, Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Griffin, Stinger, Locust, Wasp, Commando, Hatchetman) that uses "cutting edge" tech newly available in 3054 (double-heat sinks, ferro-fibrous armor, pulse lasers, and Streak SRM 2's).

The second challenge is a flash forward by about a decade. Same thing, select a Taurian manufactured mech (the previous list and now also the Ostroc, Marshal, Shadow Hawk and Clint are available), and create a new variant with technology now available (Artemis FCS, endo-steel, LB 10-X AC, Ultra 5/AC, CASE, MASC, ER Large Laser, ER PPC, AMS, Gauss Rifles, BAP, ECM, Rocket Launchers, and A-Pods).

I think this presents opportunities and could generate some interesting designs for limited (or prototype tier) use in the Periphery.
My mercs combat test things for the TDF.

>I can't draw for shit but still made this elementary school art class project-level drawing of Marauder #542153!

Hey, I was in *college* when I made those, not elementary school!

>why haven't we talked any artfags to do some BT chibies or SDs yet?

There's a whole other methodology to doing super-deformed/chibis. I guess nobody's interested in asking, and I don't even know how many of us would be comfortable doing them... but a lot of times, art is about moving out of one's comfort zone and trying something new. I can hear those exact words (perhaps with what a somewhat superior or snide tone behind them) in Professor Yarosz's voice as I type them.

That's not to say that there aren't *any* chibi BT works out there (pic related), just nothing I can think of produced here on /btg/.

I know there's some chibi/SD art out there, just that there's a general shortage of it, 50% being actually appropriated Macross fan art.

And I don't mean to shit on anyone in perticular, just that a lot of stuff that could be done in fan art is not because everyone in the community drives the art to attempt fixing the napkin scribbles that passed for art in FASA times despite the fact the theme is overdone to hell and back and then back to hell again.
It kills all variety in fan art, forces people comfortable with other types of art into mechanical art, often with very questionable results and it devalues the good reneditions of the art in the first place.

Like, everyone agrees that Alex did amazingly with some of the oldest shitcans out there. But finding art of his designs is practically impossible outside of one or two cases like that one Phoenix Hawk on Pixiv or a Hunchie here and there.

Go to the booru in the OP. Look up chibi. Enjoy.

This.

That's pretty much what I was talking about, though.
Almost all of that is Japanese fan art for the respective anime. There's never been a shortage of that.
>youtube.com/watch?v=obu0XTR1gBo

Wow, they actually allowed that on YT without Harmony Gold suing for 80 quadrillion dollars plus 50 million C-bills.

You'd need to find a retard who'd report it for them to be able to even start shit.

Well I just thought Harmony Gold had their head so far stuck up their own asses that they hired someone to surf the net all day; every day to find something to sue about somewhere.

Oh man. I think I just found some weapon pod art my Clanner can use to further annoy her starmates.

Oh man, this thing is cute AF. I wish there was like an entire series of this just for the art and silliness alone.

Day = Made.

I know this is Macross and not BT, but this is a Stinger's wet dream, taking on 2 Marauders and winning.

The trick is that they would be looking for Robokek and Battletech. For all intents and purposes, they have no idea Macross even exists.

Wasn't Stinger x Maruder how Greyson Carlyle became an orphan?

I thought it was Pixie. Didn't the Marauder pilot also have have a nut in a Crud with him? I seem to remember a scenario in the book where Grayson had to use his Shad against both of them, lure them in an oil tank field and detonate it for big fun and big prizes.

>For all intents and purposes, they have no idea Macross even exists.
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

>I wish there was like an entire series of this just for the art and silliness alone.

Well, it's not Macross, but ...

Years ago, da clevva ladz at ARTMIC/Youmex produced a super-deformed double feature based on their properties - Ten Little Gall Force and Scramble Wars. I remember watching it on VHS; with all their other old stuff on Youtube (such as umpteen different copies of the original Bubblegum Crisis, for example), they've gotta be there somewhere.

OK, yeah! Here's Scramble Wars:
youtube.com/watch?v=dM3HxiZprPo

... and Ten Little Gall Force:
youtube.com/watch?v=dTiz-lB52Cw

sarna.net/wiki/Decision_at_Thunder_Rift

I was close, sort off. Greyson's dad was in a Phoenix Hawk. God damn, that book was a slog.

Dougram had some cute mini shots as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=kWkZYwNs4KU

youtube.com/watch?v=R57Sk_mf05c

Okay the second one was just... kinda weird with good animation.

Eh, it was just a one-off they made while working on DYRL, IIRC. It became kind of a running theme to have the chibi merch during Macross anniversaries/events, at least.

Wow, Sunrise really sucked at this.

At least with the Chibi Dougram they got that reaction pic of Crinn saying he shouldn't have to put up with everything.

>dougram and chibi general

>attempt a Highlander burial
>it goes horribly wrong

Anyone here had much luck with DFA attacks?

I rarely get them to go right, but semi-recently the last two times I did it was spectacular. IIRC one critted an ammo slot and another decapitated a baddie. Good times.

I recognise these. They're from the Goon thread, aren't they?

We coudl always talk control schemes and such.

Dragon on the left, Longbow on the right, what is in the middle?

>that pic
We're entering a new era of shitposting.

>control schemes

Speaking of them, it's been bloody ages since I last watched Robotech, but didn't the VF-1s have different control sticks that popped out when the pilot transformed to giant robot mode? IIRC there were two sticks for arm control and presumably the rudder pedals would have controlled the legs.

Custom Gallowglas.

That's not a control seat, that's a BDSM machine

Various controls changed and rearranged going from fighter to battroid.

Thanks, mate.

DYRL version has less things change, namely one of the control sticks seems to simply gets reconfigured.

I have one guy in a shadow Hawk who all he does is either kicks ammo crits, punches gyros out or dfas heads.

He does alright

And by the time of the VF-11 it seems the controls don't really change at all.

What if House Liao becomes ilClan?

Thank you kindly, cockpit user. Incidentally, the stick in the top-right corner at is close to what I think an ideal 'Mech arm control stick would be like. AS in, a fighter stick for the right hand, that stick for the left, speed and direction controlled by pedals.

Then at least the book will have come out? I mean, presumably. Maybe. At least on pdf...

So which do you prefer for when your mech has hand actuators: you need to strap on a power glove looking mess of sensor pads and flip on a fine manipulation toggle switch, or do you prefer just a basic open/close fist toggle?

And since I spoke about the sticks, here's the crude sketch I use when a player asks "so how the hell do I drive my giant robot anyway".

>Pedals
1) Pushed forward, 'Mech turns left...
2) ...and the right-side pedal simultaneously moves backward
3) Press down the left pedal to brake...
4) ...and press down the right pedal to accelerate.

>Right hand stick
5) Move 4-way hat forward to switch TICs.
6) Move hat back back to switch between comm channels.
7) Move hat left to cycle between HUD sensor of choice (thermal, mag res, night vision, vis light)
8) Move hat right to cycle HUD between full 360-in-120-degree vision, main forward view/top strip rear view, main rear view/top strip forward view, and main forward view/top strip 360-in-120 vision.
9, 10, 11) Triggers: by factory default, 9 fires LRMs, 10 fires the forward ML, 11 fires the AC/10. Can be rearranged with TICs.
12) Press hat to designate target under reticle as primary target/select a point on HUD as navigation point.
13) Pinkie switch: press and hold to activate torso twist (move torso with stick)

Ordinarily moving the stick will move reticle on the HUD and the 'Mech will do its damnedest to keep the AC/10 and torso weapons pointing at where the reticle is.

>Left hand controller
14) Grooves for fingers, with a control stud in each groove. Push forward to open left arm fingers, pull back to close them. Press down on thumb stud to punch at thing under left arm reticle.
15) Moving the stick around moves the left arm reticle on the HUD.

LUCAS!

>mention the porch embezzlement scandal on the OF
>permabanned
>thread scrubbed

Hmmm

Well, yeah. What'd you think was gonna happen? They'd laud you and throw a parade down Main Street? Of course they're not gonna talk about it since if they don't talk about it, it never happened.

Natural result in any "Clans invade from the south" scenario. Combined Xin Sheng and Ghost Bear fiat would be unstoppable.

All that stuff is handled by the neuro-helmet.

While it wouldn't surprise me, the OF is currently borked.

>the OF is currently borked.
And nothing of value was lost. Fuck the OF and the people who post there to suck off CGL.

You know I can't look at that Hatamoto and not see that it has a goatee.

More luck with pushing off the tops of cliffs/hills. People always seem to forget to charge, too.

Pushed another heavy off that desert canyon map a couple years ago - I'd engaged masc, and ended up right in front of him. People at the table laughed. Then I pushed him off the edge, and he ragequit. After the drama, just for laughs, I checked damage, rolled locations, and figured out it was beat up but still worthwhile to play. Claimed it as salvage - we ruled the pilot died in the crash.

And accidentally cropped out the HUD.

A) Reticle.
B) Left arm reticle for punching and grabbing stuff.
C) Heading strip, with
D) Current target's location.
E) Current nav point.
F) Text area. Shows stuff like MIN RANGE (if you're under LRM minimum range), OUT OF RANGE, etc. Normally shows TIC in use and gun/missile ammo left. Can be configured for Latin, Cyrillic, kanji, etc. by pilot preference.
G) Reticle limits. Drive the reticle to these bars and the 'Mech will automatically start to torso twist in the direction of the bar you're hitting.
H) Main HUD
I) HUD top strip, showing rear ML reticle.

Duh. Why'd you try?

No quite all. Errata and answered rules questions if you don't have the foresight to take screenshots.

Samurai hats'll do that sometimes.

And alternatively you could see it as one of the more elaborate chinstraps.

Love your work, but why does the Hata look like it can't move its head, but the Charger can?

Is there a download anywhere for Solaris Armor Werks the way that there's a Master Mech Download for SSW? I kinda don't want to have to enter every vee in canon by hand.

Used to be the case that it was in the SSW dl. Just look for the SAW file inside the folder.

Thank you - I had forgotten to update my SSW master in quite a while. My version didn't have vees in it.

Lots of good stuff on the OF, even if their moderation is overly strict and annoyingly family friendly. Only place where you can easily get long-term posting. Beats the shit out of reddit--home to a bunch of permabanned OF posters who just whine about BT all the time without actually contributing anything ever--or facebook, which is better but still has way too many people who just post retarded memes or also whine about being banned from the OF. Christ, you'd think being banned from a forum was the worst thing that ever happened.

/btg is the best, though.

See, why would I bother going to the OF when I have here, where you get useful posters, good and reasonable discussions, and no one complains when we post the truth about CGL's shady and poor decisions. The OF offers me nothing that here doesn't also offer.

>/btg is the best, though.

Reminds me of a story from our table involving MASC and salvage. We didn't play on mapsheets much, just grabbed books, vhs', 2-litres and set up on my buddies basement floor. Simulating Urban, mostly.

I'm officiating a double blind between two friends. Dude A's Fire Moth detaches and goes scouting. Spots an Atlas at the end of the road, just standing there as a lookout/roadblock. A decides he NEEDS to see what's behind that Atlas so he turns on his MASC and runs down the road, THEN tries to turn and juke past the Atlas. Fails his pilotng roll and as per the skid rolls ends up slidding all the way up the feet of the Atlas.

So the Atlas, fires up his TSM, picks the Fire Moth up and walks off the map.

Offhand, the Megamek/Against the Bot threads, the "of the Week" articles, five or six years of rules answer threads, the IWM advance notice info: those are all unique to the OF and useful if you care about those things. Still can't beat forums for institutional knowledge.

That's hilarious. I would have laughed so hard, even if I drove the Moth.

Fukkin Lewd

Most of the recent "of the week" articles have been Marauder648 autistically sperging about things he doesn't understand, bulked out by links to meme images and videos, with an analysis level about a micron deep.

All the posters who did good stuff have stopped. Like what even happened to GreekFire? He get banned or something?

>Like what even happened to GreekFire?

Maybe he got burned out.

>No quite all. Errata and answered rules questions if you don't have the foresight to take screenshots.
Yeah, Xotl's boards and the minis section are the worthwhile bits.

Speaking of which, they're back.

>Handheld weapons
All my revulsion. I personally hate that aesthetic.

It would be one thing if all mechs had it, but since most of them don't, it is pretty triggering, yeah.

I assume switching rear mounted weapons to a forward facing arc is one of the most common refits in universe, but how expensive is it? Is it considered challenging?

>but how expensive is it?
No cost except for labor
Is it considered challenging?
Nope, one of the easiest

Are there any mechs that are crewed by multiple people? Like a mech with a pilot to control movement, and one to control a rear facing 4xml turret and another one to control other weapons?

Tripods and superheavies do. There were also Dual Cockpits before CGL went full No Fun Allowed on them.

>I assume switching rear mounted weapons to a forward facing arc is one of the most common refits in universe, but how expensive is it?
Not very, depends on the chassis and how well you pay your techs. The wages cost more than the operation, most of the time

>Is it considered challenging?
Not especially so. You >do< run the risk of fucking up some of the ancillary systems, especially heat balancing and targeting, but that's mostly a fluff concern.

One of my other favorite refits is swapping a full-ton bin of MG ammo for a half-ton and another MG. Unfortunately, RAW, that's a pretty major cutjob.

When I GM games, I usually have minor Merc/Gladiator repair outfits on every major hiring world and gaming planet who are willing to do basic refits like half-binning MGs or pulling them for small lasers/flamers, flipping front/rear, swapping SRM-2s for LRM-5s, etc. It takes a week and they charge a fixed fee of 110% of "minimum wage" for a Regular tech team. Basically, what people are already fluffily doing on those worlds all the damned time. More importantly, for campaign or repair purposes it's considered to be done with a Refit kit instead of a "custom design". You can also loan techs to the garage to supervise your babies (and get some spare cash/intel/favors) during downtime.

>There were also Dual Cockpits before CGL went full No Fun Allowed on them.
Well, now we do have cockpit command consoles, which pretty much break initiative in your favor or let you ghost target yourself or do other almost-broken-but-not-quite shit.

Command Consoles are different to Dual Consoles. Once we had both.

There was a thread talking about dolls and androids on /tv/, and it got me wondering: how cyborg can a character go in BT?

Like how many cybernetic replacements are possible? Could a Manei Domini basically be just a human brain in a robot body?

I saw the pic and it made me think of that MD that seduced the leader of Regulus and double-crossed him

manei kiegeli

>kiegeli
?

>bluemouseturningtoleave.png
>Shadman

Welcome to modern anime, m8.

/btg/, I just got my hands on some DA stuff and need your advice on if I dun good or not. Note: it came at the low low price of free. Still, is any of the following (pic attached) worth anything on the table?

2 ForestryMechs
2 Centurions
Koshi
4 Cavalier BA
3 Purifier BA
1 Standard Infantry
2 Battletoads
4 Hoverbike Squad...??
2 SM1 Tank Destroyers
2 BE701 Joust Tanks
1 Behemoth II
1 JESII Missile Carrier
and one unknown (it has no base and I don't recognize it, any help?)

Did I dun ok? Or did I dun fucked up?

>Did I dun ok? Or did I dun fucked up?

You go it for free, so no, you did fine.

Has anyone had experience playing with the tanks in CBT? Can it be done? They're kinda significantly bigger than expected.