Best accents for roleplaying

Do you imitate foreign accents while roleplaying? What accents do you use for each race? Here's what I use:

- Humans: no accent/my country's accent;
- Dwarves: Finnish/Estonian accent;
- Elves: French accent;
- Halflings: English accent;
- Gnomes: Asian/Chinese accent;
- Orcs: Middle Eastern/Caucasian accent;
- Goblins: Jewish accent.

None of the other races are prominent enough to warrant their own accent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4kIaHc4tAs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Making races rather than economic classes and how evil someone is a deciding factor in accents
For shame, user. Everyone knows Rich/Evil is British, Poor/Evil is a different kind of British, Rich/Good is German and Poor/Good is American.

>Good is German
Spotted the kraut

Britbong, actually.
My second choice for Rich/Good was ANOTHER kind of British - Scottish, specifically.

what the fuck is a jewish accent, exactly

do you mean like yiddish or brooklyn or what

I like to work in a vague African accent when I can

There was a campaign I played way back in high school where we decided that each language was represented by a different accent. Dwarvish was Scottish, Elvish was Posh British, Orcish was Texan, and Draconic was Ebonics. I think Undercommon was really shitty Cockney, but we never used it much.

In our defense, we were shithead teenagers.

I'm thinking Mort

All of my simple village folk have southern twangs.

>confusing nationalities with races

Spotted the burger.

If you have Jews in your country, you must know what the Jew accent is.

So you be sayan we wuz draggins an shiet?

Ya'll ain't never lived until you've seen a Gold Dragon call someone a "Jive Motherfucker".
youtube.com/watch?v=f4kIaHc4tAs

>This shit again
Just stop. I'm not even sure at this point if this is still bait or just plain stupidity and shit taste.

I don't give racial accents. I give accents to NPCs that have one. Case by case basis, not generic.

>Going accents
>Ever
As far as my experience goes, for past 13 years I didn't met a single GM that considered adding poorly performed accents for any other reason than pretending he's competent at this job. It's like the reddest of all red flags.

Is it a Gold dragon because of all the bling?

That's for goblins. They have the Alabama/Florida heehaw, hobgoblins get the drawling Texan accent, and bugbears get the Foghorn Leghorn one. Ignorant peasants sound like Milwaukee and guards are from Minnesota.

Eh, we figured that dragon's ambient body temperature could melt the gold if they slept in it long enough. Gold Dragons are actually a kind of burnished brown color naturally, but have a golden luster because their scales are literally covered in precious metals.

My group is a bunch of theatre students so we gake opportunities to practise our dialects. Mosts it's variaties of british. One dude uses a cockney for his ork and troll characters. We've had an irish rogue. I'm usually the DM and use welsh for elves and minor fey, Iv used romanian for a shopkeeper and some pilgrims, alabama for a fixer. I'v recently started learning yorkshire and I'll be damned if I don't use it for every old man.

Liverpool is is just seems right for spirits, angels and demons just for pire sillness.

>Racial Accents
That's a bog filth way to do it. It shows both a lack of imagination and a general misunderstanding of the world.

What you should be doing is developing /regional/ accents and then applying them across the board. Best if you have developed/are borrowing conlangs and thus can actually integrate accent into your story for anything but shorthand of "different" to a baseline when no realistic baseline exists.

The additional layer of variety should come from class stratification, or a lack thereof. Depending on how the societies have developed.

>Florida
>Heehaw
Yank detected!

>be austrian
>can fake a british accent

i have literaly every possible character covered.

My game has none of those so yeah...fuck off XD
Make accents for other races based on location as it is what forms your language

>XD
user, I...

}:=8D moo moo

>Best if you have developed/are borrowing conlangs
Please go back to /wbg/: Autism General

I don't tie them to specific races, I just pick whichever feels right for the character. Some that I like:

- Posh English
- low-class English
- American southern drawl
- Italian-American stereotypical "mobster" accent
- light Irish accent

I'm not amazing at them, but I could be worse. I want to start DMing games, though, so practicing accents I think will really help me when I'm roleplaying various NPCs.

In your rush to shit on America, you not only misread the post but called a Brit a burger.

I don't believe he's British, he said Scottish accent fits rich people.

>- Humans: no accent/my country's accent;
>- Elves: French accent

I'm French, and I do my Elves with Englishiet accent.

>estonian accent
1st time seeing my country mentioned at all on Veeky Forums

Estonians fit the stereotypical image of a grumpy, stubborn, conservative Dwarf to a T.

There is nothing wrong with actually immersing yourself. But this is Veeky Forums so I guess that having fun with a setting for the sake of the setting is unacceptable.