Let Us Make A Setting #4

Last thread was interesting enough (even if it died with barely any attention really), so why don't we try and continue?

Previous Threads:

Also, here's a work-in-progress timeline for events prior to the current setting:
>20 Years PC Entire populations in 3rd world countries simply "go dark" a UN investigatory team is organized.
>400 years PC: Humanity discovers new technology which allows space vessels to move at the speed of 1 astronomical unit per hour.
>420 Years PC: Strange binary-star system located approximately 40 light-years from Earth. Designation given, "Aegror"
>434 Years PC: The two primary stars composing "Aegror" pulse in three methodical flares of unknown energy right before going entirely dark, disappearing from their original position. Reasons unknown.

Years PC Entire populations in 3rd world countries simply "go dark" a UN investigatory team is organized.
years PC: Humanity discovers new technology which allows space vessels to move at the speed of 1 astronomical unit per hour.
That is, uh, a pretty big jump.

As I said; it's a MASSIVE work-in-progress, and the events prior to the discovery of Aegror are going to need some major fleshing out, all said.

What does "go dark" mean? What about satellites? A neighboring country could just have a plane or helicopter fly over to see what was happening. What do they see? I think all of that would happen before the UN would send a "investigatory team" in.

Given this setting, "Go Dark" probably means something along them lines of "Everyone and everything has seemingly completely vanished, and any attempts to record information utilizing drones or helicopters and plane also ends up disappearing into thin air". I imagine that such a thing would happen for quite a while before someone finally decides to send in a team of individuals to manually recover data for analysis form said areas.

When you go dark, you're gone. Sure there's memories of you being there and history up to a point but, media within a given time vanishes, buildings people, images within a span all are gone.

Just a thought.

Sounds utterly terrifying and disturbing in every possible way.

I Love It

In the first event images of cities people and even accounts written that were less than a year old simply stopped existing.

In the stars case all information up to a decade prior vanished. The one exception being the data from the energy readings. Additionally. Every now and again, random people 'go dark'

I'm not sure I understand the basics of what is happening, so I'm going to ignore the effect on information for now. What physically happens to a place that goes "dark"? Is it just devoid of people? Is the area literally gone, just a void? It doesn't seem consistent which, to me, is bad for the setting.

Hmm, I think it's possible to flesh out the timeline a bit more. At least, concerning these "Dark Zones".

>22 Years PC: Almost all of the UN Invesitgatory team sent to uncover the truth behind the 3rd world nations going "dark" have vanished. Theo not survivor, one Arthur Tulus, was driven hopelessly insane by whatever events had transpired. All attempts to re-investigate the "darkened" countries are shot down by government high-ups.

>24 Years PC: Following what is commonly coming to be known as the "Dark Event", several groups of note have begun to crop-up over time, all seemingly sharing the common goal of uncovering the truth behind the Event and the loss of countless lives.

I suspect that places that go "Dark" are sort of a 'premature' version of the giant dark wall that eventually overtakes nearly all of the northern parts of the world once the Disease hits it's stride on Earth. So basically, any area that goes "Dark" likely becomes an immense black expanse that nobody can enter without risk of not coming out again.

To avoid going dard you have to consume a small amount of crystallized dog turd every week or so.

'Nah, f a m. Thanks for the Bump though.

More like darkhound anal crystals.

Doesn't sound like that would be a very good way to avoid contracting any Strains Of Disease at all.

Just shamelessly rip off Roadside Picnic zones. The less you try to explain why things are fucked up, the better.

Yeah, I concur. Keep it vague and somewhat unexplained, but with decent theorizing behind it, is far better than simply revealing it all outright.

>1 astronomical unit per hour.
That's about 0.14 c, by the way.

So 142 years are needed to reach the binary system. Nice, but still too slow
>no sense of scale

To be blunt no. No one listed what going dark was and not to be rude I'm not gonna wade through thread upon thread of random shit to figure it out.
More importantly what the hell does 'go dark' mean?