EDH general

Friendly Edition

Previously: → → →

RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Discord Server
??? (needs to be updated)

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
It's turn four. The new player in your group has three plains out, he missed his last land drop. Suddenly he throws down a mana crypt and plays armageddon while he has no board state and laughs thinking its simple epic. What do you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-01-18-gojira/?cache=2018-01-25 19:24:36.026796
deckstats.net/deck-15045099-432c4ca51681da41d0e7ea1056367893.html
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/25-01-18-elenda-tokens-edh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for path and debt to the debtless are bad

>Thread question
Use my Druids to start casting huge bombs and pound him into the dirt.

>Thread question
Keep playing because he's only up 2 colorless mana and that's assuming you haven't played any artifact mana of your own. Pretty pointless Armageddon

>thread question
probably try to blow up his mana crypt. turn 4 i still early enough to recover easily and not much of a reset. I'd play it out for a few turns. But if he just starts MLDing with no coherent strategy i'll just pack my shit up and move to the next game with out that prick.
My only rule for MLD is that you better be able to win in the next 3 turns otherwise you're just a prick keeping the game from advancing.

Did you pay the one?

Nah, who cares if he draws a couple extra cards?

I usually have a pretty clear idea what I want to do when I build a deck, but for some reason fucking Gishath of all commanders is giving me trouble. As of now I have too many cards in the deck, so I'm trying to figure out cuts, replacements and what other non-basics to run before I settle on a final land count. Plus I'm just at a loss how I should balance everything out. Am I running too much removal? Not enough? Is the enchantment/artifact removal count too low? How much mana accel do I want to run to get Gishath out quickly?

Am I just over thinking it? I don't know, but any help would be really appreciated!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-01-18-gojira/?cache=2018-01-25 19:24:36.026796

Play it out 100%, Crypt clocks him and he has no colored mana.

Why wouldn't he pay the one. He had five mana available and only played a 4 mana card. What's he going to do with that 1 mana? Play Serra ascendant?

Ornithopter, Memnite, Kobolds, Kobolds, Signal pest

Bowl islands are gay.

>What do you do?
Swamp, go
54 land gitrog gives no fucks

>path but no swords
i'm really not trying to start shit up with the anti-path guy but you should probably have both path and swords. skyshroud claim is also better than explosive vegetation, you can run both but sometimes i cut explosive if i'm running out of room. some of your instants seem a bit low impact. noxious revival and psychotic fury are both a bit too narrow imo. i don't see why you need so many of these effects. penance is also a bit too specific for my taste. it has a lot of potential but when it's dead it is very dead. i'm not sure about elemental bond, i think i might prefer beastiary for the free scry? raptor hatchling seems cutable. hua tuo is...okay, but not great. i think you should include oracle of mul-daya because you are running green. windbrisk heights is also very playable. i also love the kamigawa legendary lands and they could work well here.

Call him an ass while laughing with him. I'm xenagod so I'll eventually ramp more.

What did the Mail Man bring you today /edhg/?

Beat his fucking face in with my 6 vampires because i'm Edgar. After beating his face, play land, use land cast a vampire for another 2 bodies and laugh because he's at least 2 lands from a board wipe, unless he topdecks terminus. He probably won me the game if its multiplayer.

I got a dark ritual in the mail a couple weeks ago. good shit, homie

>tfw brago

we all just sat around in silence while he countered our spells and flickered our lands back to our hands by turn 4

I think we're all going to ask him to play something else. U/W is so god damn gay.

I am building Enrage Dinosaur tribal but letting Marath lead the deck. If you are not dead set on Gishath (keep him in the 99) maybe Marath is the way to go.

why would you pick that crop rotation user

For the visual pun.

Finally branching into a non traditional commander. Anyone played this fella?

No we aren't doing this again

>When your poorfag/NEET friends get upset because you can afford expensive cards and they can't

>when they go to search off your stripmine

you shut your whore mouth

Sheoldred and several "heavily played" full art lands that were just barely scuffed. It was a good day.

>When they only draw the same number of cards they discarded with Wheel of Fortune

112 cards total. Everything I need to build my Zur and Grusilda decks. I am happy.

Middle class income here. Its slightly annoying when no one at the table can deal with tooth and nail craterhoof/avenger shenanigans. I'm slowly acquiring better cards, but I can understand the frustration.

Bowl Island took your mother's virginity.

This guy has been really fun in testing, I misread him at first, thinking he had to die as a result of fighting a creature. This is not the case obviously.

The deck I currently run it in produces a large number of tokens. A free sac outlet; preferably Ashnod's Altar, makes it a pretty solid card in the right build.

I have, he's pretty damn fun. Focus on all the murder effects you can get at instant speed, lots of deathtouch and general purpose removal. The name of the game is killing things, not just flashing back instants. Pick cards that trigger off creature deaths, like Black Market.

Flipside. Is six mana worth an Ancient Tomb that poops 4/4's? Not quite, but sometimes it works.

Whoops not meant to be directed at you .

>Not Mercadian Masques Dark Ritual

Got my played, it’s a little fucked around the edges but the front is completely fine

damn nice user. Love strip mine

Nigga I am middle class and can still afford two decks priced at $500 and $300.

>come talk about my neat new expensive cards on Veeky Forums
>some poor fag always goes “durrr why you spend money on game lol”

>He owns cards that are over $20 for a casual format

>Recently buy a masterpiece Sword of L&S and B&M
>Tell "friend" about it
>Calls me a tryhard

Yeah for sure, the expedition art looks amazing I couldn’t resist getting it.

>He can't afford to spend money on his hobby

>He tries to defend his addiction to some unbalanced shit card game

>addiction
Is it really an addiction if it doesn't impact me negatively in any way?

>playgroup complains that I win too much because I spend too much money on decks when they only range from 200-500$ total
>tell them they should invest a little bit more into their modified precons
>nah dude just gonna make shit print out proxys of gaes cradle and other pricy shit despite complete lack of synergy in deck
>they spend like 50$ minimum a week on cigarettes and weed

>get called out
>”durr lol u play shit game”
Can’t imagine being this butt blasted about too poor to afford real cards

This
Live with a dude who refuses to upgrade his deck because he claims it costs too much money, and he then proceeds to buy a gram every 2 days.

>Too poor

Yeah, while my $100 vial smasher thrasios deck could beat your overpriced hunk of shit any day of the week. You idiots drop money to validate yourselves, not because it helps you win games. If your deck costs more than $100 you fucking suck at deck building and you suck at magic.

That's because you live with your parents you sperg fuck

You put those goalposts back RIGHT NOW young man.

>buy cards when they are cheap because I am a jew of a dealhunter
>they spike later on
>People complain about pricy cards in my deck
EVERY TIME

I dont really care for playing with them sometimes in cramped weed aroma places. I worry about smoke damage to my cards (and lungs) shit sucks

How do you feel about getting cards cheap that then spike? Say a 5$ that becomes 20$, do you still consider your deck "cheap"?

>being so anus ahnialated you start going off with hypotheticals
Can’t imagine what it’s like

Real men sell them after they spike and replace them with the slightly inferior, far cheaper versions of the cards and then spend that money on real man shit like, guitars, guns, motorcycles etc.

Get adult, friend.

>You idiots drop money to validate yourselves, not because it helps you win games.
I don't drop money for either of those. I drop money because building decks is literally half the fun of the game to me. Avoiding cards due to price limits said fun.

Except I live in an apartment on my own you stupid pavement ape. What the fuck is middle class to you? I make like 60k a year and easily afford my own apartment, cards, and my 2017 car. And I am able to still go out with friends and take my girlfriend on dates after that.

>60k a year
I mean thats upper middle class in my opinion. I only make like half that, and the housing is kinda shitty in my area so a nice apartment costs like half of my monthly income.

I like playing 5dollar 8drop mythics
Sue me

Beating people with the deck that uses the marginally inferior version of the cards is the fun.

>hurr durr but I dropped craterhoof behemoth why didn't I winnnn

Post decklist?

>lashes out like a feral animal when somebody has more disposible income than him
This is what rock bottom looks like

Savage Summoning --> Darksteel Myr. He's laughing at my 1/2 but there's 20 more equipment in this Nazahn deck and there's no way for him to outpace this little fuck now.

>I mean thats upper middle class in my opinion
I mean, you're factually wrong here. This isn't an opinion thing. If that's upper middle class to you, it soinds like you are lower class my guy. (No offense.)

Fun is subjective. For me fun is spending hours brewing decks and looking for the best synergies and cool interactions, and then taking said build out for a spin with friends.

deckstats.net/deck-15045099-432c4ca51681da41d0e7ea1056367893.html

It says it's $163, I guess some of the cards changed in price since I put it together.

Oh yeah, I saved like $20 by building it out of the bones of the yidris precon, but most of that money was saved in Vial & Thrasios themselves who were like 3x more expensive a few months ago.

Real men don't care about real man shit. I use the money I don't use on MTG on gym supplements and weights and also cute anime plushies. Eat shit

Veeky Forums here, can confirm this post is legit.

>overcompensation, the man

Xth for still trying to cut 10 more from this deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/25-01-18-elenda-tokens-edh/
I always suck at those last few cuts, and I always need outside intervention telling me to cut X and why, to push me to cut things.

>Beat fully optimized cEDH decks with 80$ Maelstrom Wanderer ramping into big guys with loads of power
There's no better feel on this game like beating you're kind

I get what you're saying about the niche instants. My plan there was just having Gishath get as close as possible to murdering someone with commander damage, so double strike effects seemed fun. Then there was all the revival stuff to get the most out of the dinosaurs in such a wrath heavy format. But I feel ya man, I think I'm gonna cut some of the weaker of those effects and keep maybe one or two. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, technically you're right. I'm just barely lower class, but I never consider myself that because the standard of living in my area, sans the housing, is quite low. Either way, it just illustrates the point that having little money makes it frustrating to try to play with people who are better than you by the quality of their cards alone.

How is me, telling a bunch of nerds on an anime forum that I like wasting my money on cardboard and top soft, overcompensating?

Just because I use expensive cards doesn't mean I think I am any better than you. I play for fun, not to win.

I know, I don't think I'm good either since cascading involves 0 skill. But feeling the salt of the guy with a 2000$ Teferi deck that lost to fucking Surrak Dragonclaw negating his hand full of counters is orgasm material

I would cut debt to the deathless. Its a good card, but its just not what this deck should be about. Replace it with torment of hailfire.

Abborent overlord and evangel of heliod have the potential to be good, but they really up your curve, and you aren't running a bunch of mana doublers. I would cut them both.

I also ran palace siege, but ultimately dropped it. When its good, its great, but when its not, its just really bad.

Wake the dead will almost never work in your favor. Its just bad.

Consider getting rid of eldrazi monument. Its a fun card, but it can put you into a bad spot if you can't establish a board after a wipe.

>debt to the deathless
>good
Exsanguinate is the better card

This is bait. Nobody take it seriously, please. We don't need another thread ruined.

Thanks.
I was already on the fence about the devotion token makers, and yea they're a bit too much mana for potentially too little payoff.
Siege was mainly there for the recursion for Elenda, but I already have tons of that elsewhere in the deck, and it's a dead card otherwise.
Monument is fun, but I see your point. It's also an auto hate magnet from other people, just like Akroma's or True Conviction, which is why I had already removed those.
Debt I'd rather keep though. With token generation and the altars, lots of mana should be pretty easy after a little setup or tutoring, and I'd rather go straight for the life totals than beat around the bush with Torment.
Wake the Dead is just there so I can surprise reanimate my grave, maybe block some incoming things, or even cast it after combat damage at end of combat, and then sac the reanimated things to altars or other sac outlets for Elenda, then if Elenda was also woke I can sac her to get a ton of tokens. I was also considering Rally the Ancestors, but I decided only Wake would be fine.

>Get adult
>Veeky Forums

Why do people keep building Elenda?
Is there a joke I missed or something?

Stop talking about money and tell me if Gonti is a fun commander

Yeah, duh.

People like a challenge, like making a card that seems like it shouldn't work, work.

IMO Hellboy 2 is worth it in slow, grindy scenarios. I've learned to not underestimate an infinite token source, especially on a land (that not everyone will have answers to). True, it costs a virtual 6 per token (The land's 2 and the 4 you pay) but Urza's Factory is marginal at 8 for a 2/2 and Kjeldoran Outpost is legit crapping out 1/1s for 3 (again, including the opportunity cost). Golden Army fits right in at that

How much

>Wanna go to the bone zone?

>yfw an opponent plays gitaxian probe and the only thing In your hand is your penis

>Exsanguinate/Debt to the Deathless
>X cost finisher spells

I have Exsanguinate in my own deck, I have no opinion as to which is better but...I don't feel comfortable dumping all my tokens into a spell just asking to be answered. I currently favor Banefire for the "can't be countered"
clause, because I still keep the mardu colors from the precon.
I could justify Banefire being single target with Blood Artist, etc, doing damage to other opponents aside from the banefire target.

Did he still look at it?

It's not a may ability.

49$ after shipping and everything it was 52$

>Just spent 45 minutes arguing over whether or not Demonic tutor should be banned
>When every other tutor was considered ok
>They unironically support Wotc's banlist
That was probably the most tiring conversation I've ever had regarding magic.

Is this worth playing if your opponents all run fairly creature-heavy decks?

>>They unironically support Wotc's banlist
Are you saying you don't play with the banlist?

I play with Sheldon's banlist, because flawed as it is, it doesn't outright say that U/G/x is going to be the best deck forever and ever.

Isn't there only one banlist for EDH?

Not before Suture Priest is in the 99 first.

Not if you play mtgo.

I don't think any nickel and dime cards like this are worth it unless it somehow combos with your deck. Like maybe this +Argothian Elder, maze of ith, and forbidden orchard to kill the table.

Meant for