Why are fantasy games so racist?

Why are fantasy games so racist?

The imperial is right though.

Backwards savages should be grateful for the gift of civilization.

Not all of them are super racist, though TES in general very much is a very racist setting. Especially at the time of Skyrim.

However every single one of those comments is, to varied degrees, severely inaccurate.

Because fantasy borrows from history and history is racist.

Because fantasy explores and plays with the foundation of human psychology in the real world. Sometimes you have to write about dwarves before you can fully comprehend how much you hate Jews in real life.

But people love dwarves...

Because they don't lie to themselves to get virtue signal brownie points.

Isn't the Imperial's philosophy more; "If we start balkanizing into minor nations, we're all going to get wiped out by those pointy-eared supremacist fucks"?

but in TES lore, the Imperials DO have to keep the peace, otherwise other races will fucking pick fights with each other.

See: The Warp in the West

Anglo detected

Because they're based on human history and humans are naturally tribalistic. A thousand years ago it was perfectly normal to think of people from the next village over as 'foreign' and weird and the only thing that stopped you going over and kicking the shit out of them was that there was an even weirder lot in the NEXT village and you both needed to save your strength in case those fuckers tried anything.

1/10 bait but i'm bored so w/e
None of those are racism, you really do racism a disservice by lumping in all those as "racism"

Look at Xenophobia in your example in a place like skyrim where there are very little resources to go around having a bunch of people coming in and taking their shit will cause a large amount of hate to surface, so the storm cloak rebellion started when a foreign military came to impose laws on the natives.

If there isn't some kind of law or government everything would go back to tribal ways of small towns fighting over petty shit. It wouldn't slowly regress to that it would be violently thrown back.

Lastly yes these are sapient creatures that are also part animal, why ignore that they have animistic roots?

TL;DR shit level troll can't even make a good point

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem, each of those statements is objectively true.

I confess, I was trying to think of a better race to compare to Jews when I realized that someone would reply to me in order to defend dwarves, which was desirable because I also like dwarves.

/thread

Because sentient beings are flawed, conflict is inevitable & the most basic thing humans (or in this case elves, orcs, etc.) do in crisis situations is band together by race because it's the most basic association one has to another (check out prison psychology & how convicts divide themselves up).

>1/10 bait but i'm bored so w/e

This should be 4chin's site description..

Because fantasy is very closely associated with its more tangible evils. Dragons to slay, despots to overthrow, backgrounds to overcome. The racism of fantasy worlds is not a celebrated heroic force, it creates the expectations for hobbits to shatter and the justification for slaughtering evil orcs by the thousands.
Something something, elves are for raping.

Could this be the most redpilled man in videogames?

Correct. Frigging skyrim shows just how light a touch this shit can be. Stormtroopers don't have to come marching through your shithole Provence to oppress and rape

STOP FUCKING POSTING THESE THREADS HOLY SHIT.

>Lastly yes these are sapient creatures that are also part animal, why ignore that they have animistic roots?

I think the issue is less them correctly identifying that Men are a kind of animal, it's that they think Mer aren't and are something better.

I think the issue is people pretending not to realize what they mean by "animals" and trying to justify their statements by justifying a different statement instead. It's called the "four terms fallacy".

In TES, men and mer literally aren't the same fundamental kind of being, and the altmer are literally trying to end causality and linear time, because they think it is a curse set upon them by the god of men, lorkhan, and that if it were lifted, they would be immortal gods "again"

>Lastly yes these are sapient creatures that are also part animal, why ignore that they have animistic roots?
But they aren't.

Khajiit are elves with a weirdass backstory involving Azura and Argonians are a bioweapon created by Sentient trees from the previous iteration of the world that can do shit like weaponize math.

Also you got the rebellion and foreign intervention reversed, as well as the general motivations for the Stormcloak rebellion wrong. It started because Ulfric Stormcloak strong armed Markarth into restarting Talos Worship in exchange for him protecting the city from the Forsworn, he got picked up by the Thalmor for that and later decided he wanted to be high king and used the contentious part of the White Gold Concordat, the Talos Ban, as an excuse and a recruitment tool. Also Ulfric took in the Dunmer refugees willingly but has since refused to put any effort into defending them from the lawless elements.

General Tullius in general doesn't think like that and is more frustrated with the Civil war that he had all but won springing back to life due to Ulfric escaping execution, and with an Imperial victory in the civil war he admits to respecting the Nordic culture and it's contributions to the Empire as a whole as well as it's history in the Empire and plans on retiring to the province.

The Thalmor's whole racial superiority thing doesn't really go as far as to compare other races to beasts more so than the usual racism of the setting and the faction's whole schtick is about a fairly plausible plan to go back to being spirits as that's what all mer are descended from more or less.

Because you project on to anything so hard that even a blank piece of paper is racist.

Also for actual reasons, like in every other case that someone resorts to this strawman.

B-b-b muh Nord honor!?!?!

Howdy /pol/! Back for more?

>China is xenophobic for not wanting to be raped and killed by Mongols

Where dem slave-takin' Dark Elves?

>Implying anyone who would make a comic complaining about fantasy racism has ever played morrowind

>muh alcoholic scottish midgets

>Think sjw's would absolutely despise Morrowind
>Turns out the few dozen who actually played it love it because "dark elves worship a pansexual hermaphrodite"

Realistic settings are in vogue these days.

Found the Nazi

Imperial sympathizer, off with his head!

>tumblr comic conveniently leaves out that elves hate all of the other races
>only racism against the representative minority groups counts
pathetic

>Setting has a good racism angle
>It's about killing evil dragons
fuck you todd

>someone mentions racism
>noisemaker gets mad that they didn't mention literally every case of racism and claims they must be racist
>noisemaker hallucinates that they're also the noisemaker's other enemies because who else would disagree with them like that

You're the most autistic person in the planet

Is he? Ignoring worthless comments and labels spouted by fake intellectuals is perfectly reasonable advice.

He's joking tardface

>cultural marxism

Human nature. It's hard to get over "us versus them".

Also, racism and sexism are fun tropes to play out provided everyone involved is mature and understands that you're not running a political line with it. Having a party member or two blatantly mistreated by the locals invites some real thinking about the culture and themselves.

how is the imperial burden bad?

/thread

>aged Not!Roman dude respects the Barbars and actually wants to live with them when he settles down

That's... weirdly sweet.

Racism in a fantasy setting is fine. If you have people summoning the dead or mind controlling others with magic or thieves or rampant bandits and violence being a sensible solution to a huge number of problems, why not racism?

If you're saying works of fantasy are racist rather than talking about racism within a fantasy setting, then 1) that's a huge generalization and 2) fantasy is generally based on mythology and mythology is full of racism because old-timey people were racist as hell.

Partly, that's because before mass media, people were much more restricted in the ways of thinking they would be exposed to, and a much larger proportion of people were more thoroughly shaped by their specific culture, so it made somewhat more sense to expect X specific behavior from people of Y nation and so on. I mean it was still a dick move and caused problems for everyone but it was less likely to come up since people didn't move around so much.

Fantasy games aren't racist enough in my opinion.
Remember to sage and report off-topic threads. This is not a political board. Threads about politics should be kept on /pol/ even if they're pertaining to a particular hobby.

I miss when the fucks who populate /pol/ weren't credible or numerous enough to be noticeable as more than just rare, random shitposters. Anti/pol/s, too.

What happened to those days?

This happened

You do realize that argonians and dark elves are the most racist races in tamreil right?

The elections brought in an absolute avalanche of the worst kind of newfags, notice how much phone posting had increased in the last couple of years alone.

Current events have made /pol/ more credible and more numerous. /pol/ being more numerous and more commonly accepted as the truth means prime opportunity to (you) farm.

Use sage unless you want Veeky Forums to be a shithole.

>credible
Anyway, if somebody can't see a connection between Russian troll farms and /pol/ he's either blind or very naive.

you cant be racist against humans, you need prejudice + power
Dunmer and argonians doesnt have power

RULE BITANNIA

Is that an island where everyone uses bitcoin or something?

Why the fuck wouldn't it be racist? is the real question.

Gimme good reasons for one race NOT hate what's different and infringing on land that otherwise should be theirs?

Beacuse it makes giving motivation, especially for large chunk of non-characters, so much easier. Also it is a mimicry of our world where every group is xenophobic (although in a different way and to a different extent).
Sometimes it’s just lazy writing or a the story itself applies “fantasy” aesthetics I just as a costume while dealing with contemporary issues.

>Cowering from the truth behind a smug wall of willful ignorance is perfectly reasonable lifestyle.
I thought you hated safe spaces with a passion.

because it's ok to be a racist

Elves are on the right hand side, no?

It's rather noticeabout how this comic makes the people it's supporting do absolutely nothing except stand around mindlessly. The evil strawman is the only person who displays any sort of mental faculties, while the others are either too cowardly to address them or too mindless to comprehend them.

It's the sort of message that only looks convincing to people stupid enough to already believe it.

...but Aldmer are, well, uh. Mer. Dunmer barely make an appearance in Skyrim, and we don't know enough about Bosmer to know if they're racist or not.

Your post confuses me.

Argonians were not too grateful for imperial pirates to the point where most people in Argonia were wiped out by a flu.

>aren't the same fundamental kind of being
>can interbreed
What did he mean by this?

And of course the whole rebellion is an elf plot to destabilize the empire.

t. Cultural Marxist

Yep, compared to real life empires, imperials did nothing wrong and some provinces actually joined willingly,

Wasn't that mostly just Breton infighting? Also, the warp wasn't a result of Imperial anything, that was the result of a PC going Full PC and doing PC things. The Numidium was a Dwemer device. Sure, the totem was of Imperial origin (ish), but the events of Daggerfall have literally nothing to do with that, AND the story of the Underking as Ysmir frankly makes just as much sense as the story of Arctus. Even if it didn't, claiming that the interference of a battle mage from centuries ago is 'imperial intervention' is facile and ridiculous.

Bosmer aren't exactly racist, but they sure do hate plant-eaters! Which is basically everybody but them. They only eat meat. Including the meat of herbivores. Including the meat of sentient, sophont plant-eaters.

FPBP

Protecting your country and people is only racist if you're white

>The imperial is right though.
>bends over to let Thalmor fuck him right in his asshole

lul
The Nords were right and you know it.

Every species in Tamriel are unabashed racists. That's what makes it fun.

No way, you are not allowed to explore racism in a fictive setting without hammering down on the audience that racism is baaaaaaad.

Agreed.

it's the church on the hill in the rain out the window that really did this for me.

fukken lol'd.

>Why are fantasy games so racist?
The middle ages were highly tribalistic. If you can't stand it, avoid the genre, you massive faggot.

>
Khajiit are elves with a weirdass backstory involving Azura and Argonians are a bioweapon created by Sentient trees from the previous iteration of the world that can do shit like weaponize math.
Until it's time to actually make the game at which point all the interesting lore melts like snow in the sun.

>muh jews
kys

>Russian troll farms are manipulating Veeky Forums into being mean to my progressive philosophy

L

M

A

O

This
Anyone with a brain can see that the Empire is right and the Stormcloaks are troglodytes who are going to be steamrolled by the Thalmor if they win anyway

>a connection between Russian troll farms and /pol/ he's either blind or very naive.
>Not a connection between the left saying more and more outrageous shit and thus alienating and redpilling people

The recent Jordan Peterson Interview with Cathy Newman alone probably redpilled more people on progressive Bullshit than /pol/ could ever hope for.

Or just Scots as they're known here

Supporting the Stormcloaks is playing right into the hands of the Thalmor's divide and conquer strategy. Ishygddt

I actually find /pol/ pretty reversing of redpills.

I mean on onehand I utter hate Progressive stupidity.

On the otherhand I hate /pol/ just as much. This thread is the perfect example why

hey i own that book!

Because humans are racists, and humans can only understand fiction that has human themes.

Humans are tribal by nature, we have a tendency to like the familiar and deslike the strange.

So you are saying... That /pol/ has nothing to do with it and neither is /pol/ in this thread?

So? Your complaint essential boils down to
>western elites have been inept at disseminating their propaganda via memes, relying too much on traditional media propaganda
Oh, and another thing:
>inb4 there is no western propaganda, we care about the truth and values! We are the good guys!
If that's your belief, my unironic recommendation for you would be to kill yourself.

>if you say nothing then other sides wins!
Wins what? Fabulous prizes? The hearts and minds of the children? The booby prize? the famed last word?

They win NOTHING on Veeky Forums. It's a non-winnable condition because Veeky Forums doesn't give a shit.

Well yeah.

Because this is an obvious /pol/ shitposting thread.

amerimutt pls die

Tribalism is based on group reputation filtering down on its members. You might be a fat-ass burger but at least you're a citizen of the greatest nation on earth, amirite?