Seek and Find edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
Why is DnD so fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gh01591jjtI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tabaxi, obviously.

>Why is DnD so fun?
Because my mates and I watch eachother do/say stupid shit all the time.

Why are all the official modules such ”epic” plot railroads? Where is the modular content for 5e?

Easier to write a tight story.
>Modules
WotC are lazy.

Because as a TTRPG the you have the freedom to, within reason, base everything off things you like, just because you like them. Maybe I'm just blessed with my group but I always get to choose themes which I like and use them how I like them. This goes for everyone, just using what they like for the sake of it and I really like that.

Because the game leads to so much creativity and cool stuff!

Friendly reminder to always describe how your character is fighting in detail! It shows to the DM that you are paying attention and want to be engaged in the narrative as a whole & makes you feel like you have a lot more control!

>Swords Bard
>I take my shortsword and perform a fast tap dance with my feet moving in a blur while I toss my blade into the air in rhythm with my movements, at the end of it I gesture the blade to the target casting the spell Phantasmal Force!

Not only spells but features too!

Regarding character creation:

Does user take much (or any) non-combat consideration into account when rolling a character? Or do you go in expecting nothing from the game but a long series of fights, taking rest breaks only to heal or look for more fights?

>always describe how your character is fighting in detail!
I'm preparing to eventually start DMing and I plan to encourage my players to do this. It's so much fun when people describe in glorious, bloody detail how they're butchering/skewering/incinerating their opponents.

Also: I fucking love gesturing with weapons for spellcasting. Shooting a fireball by whirling a sword around and launching it off the swinging blade is some serious shit.

This is exactly why you need to discuss with your DM and other players what everyone is expecting out of the RP. For a module, you should expect more often than not plenty of fighting, so that should be the main focus; the same would be said if your group enjoys being murderhobos. But if your DM is making a mystery campaign, then it would behoove you to back off the fighting bonuses and focus more on interaction with NPCs.

If you want to put a major wrench into rolling dice all night, ask for the Gritty Realism variant so the breaks get slammed hard on the campaign's combat momentum.

I tend to build my characters with a little of each in mind. Could probably lean a bit more either way depending on how your DM runs things though.

I have somewhat opposite problem. I mostly take non-combat in consideration, which results in my characters often being gimped during fights.

Whatever happened to the dark pact for warlocks? and a number of the spells 4e game them? I still want some version of dire radiance or spiteful glamour

When I play wizard I just act out the somatic components.

DMs, do you sit or stand while you DM? I find that standing works best for me if only because it makes it easier to move been my notes and placing and picking up miniatures.

Ideally you should weigh both in equal measure in a standard game, you're making a character after all, not a statblock, but maximizing within that character is certainly something you should be doing too, nobody wants to be in combat with the guy who is almost completely useless. I personally tend to have the two feed off each other and somewhat relate because when in doubt clichés are clichés for a reason. Like the sorc with roguish charm and a propensity for being a little on the impulsive side has a tendency to use fire magic more often than not and the stoic experienced fighter with many an old war story and hard earned life lessons tends to use boring but practical sword and board fighting with shoves to knock prone, grapples, and simple slashes and stabs because he ultimately cares entirely for efficiency in combat rather than flashy shit that gets him killed.

It's 7AM and I need to sleep but yeah, I find deciding on a character concept, fleshing it out and them ruthlessly maximizing their crunch to suit that framework makes for pretty decently balanced characters.

>Why is DnD so fun?
It is easy to get into

I sat down and wrote descriptions for each one of my 20 spells for my Sorcerer, even the ones I don't think I will even make it to.

Cantrips
>Booming Blade (Exhale and channel my arcane magic through the weapon)
>Greenflame Blade (Inhale breath and channel my arcane magic through my weapon)
>Blade Ward (With an open hand I trace an arcane sigil of metal. Its a large white rectangle. For quicker casting I bend my little finger and thumb and lock my middle and ring finger together.)
>Chill Touch (I rake across the air like a wild animal with an open hand.)
>Shocking Grasp (I extend my fingers apart and bend my middle finger slightly.)
>Prestidigitation (I tap one hand on the other or a portion of my body.)

>1st level
>Absorb Elements (I twist my slightly clenched hand in a circular motion to reveal a different color sigil depending on the element being resisted. If I have my sword I ark the blade in a circular motion causing a similar sigil.)
>Shield (I drag my hand across the attacking position to cause the ward to defend me.)
Wrathful Smite ("Ut-uche!")

I mean, you're asking Veeky Forums if they don't sit on their asses most of the time.

But personally, my friend's chairs are kind of shit so I have to stand up for a few minutes once in a while or my body hates me anyway.

>want to play a proper game in person with all of us sitting around a table and rolling some dice
>only friends who like dnd live around the world so we have to settle for VOIP
>would still rather play with them than try to get into a local game with complete strangers

I envy anyone who gets to play in person with their buds

Good answers.

>[DnD] is easy to get into
Do you really think so? It doesn't entirely seem to be the case to me. Compared to what?

Very nice!

>TFW I would rather with random strangers over Roll20 than my IRL friends. Despite them being into it, they treat the game like Skyrim with retarded anime mods installed and refuse to take anything seriously, leading to a thoroughly unenjoyable experience even if they ARE my friends.

Same, but on the other hand some of the automation on roll20 makes me feel spoiled as fuck. God I would hate to manually roll 40d6 dice for a fucking meteor swarm in real life, I know I hated it when I was playing warhammer fantasy especially since I played high elves and any of the 40 that missed I had to reroll AHHHHH. I ended up having to roll 60 fucking dice once please fucking god never again

Is it okay to refluff Barbarian Rage as something else provided it is unchanged mechanically? I've seen players and DMs who seem upset if barbarians aren't angry.

I know, I've go it good, and know that not everyone gets it this good.

online calculators still exist for that sort of thing desu

Should Swashbuckler get the Dueling Fighting Style? I mean, it fits really thematically, and 2 more damage is fuck all when you start getting your sneak dice in.

Yeah but if I'm playing in person I wanna roll all my damn dice, even if I hate it because there's 40 of the damn things.

Roll20 ain't shit for that compared to Fantasy Grounds. Being able to roll all the saves for AoE spells and then automatically apply damage at once--that shit makes me consider using it for IRL games just to save myself time for enemies.

Rate the idea

Artist goes to a trip on the sea, a shipwreck happens, only he survives with his sanity slowly withering away, as he plays his steel guitar, the sound attracts some sirens that save him and teach him to perfect his technique after a decade he wants to return to civilization to spread his music
as personality he is wee mad and often delirious dressing on his original rags with shells and corals as some crude armor

The DM's Guild, where they've always said it will be.

I sit. The place where we play is pretty small. When i stand i need to move at least a bit and that is not possible. Also, i would find it bit weird if there were one person standing while others sit. Not that it is... weird per se, but it would make me slightly uncomfortable. >would still rather play with them than try to get into a local game with complete strangers
Well, you need to make the strangers into friends first...

>automation on roll20
is it possible/viable/worth it to use roll20 for these things if you play IRL? I am not familiar with roll20, but we were wondering in our group about using some technology to make the game "easier".

>I've seen players and DMs who seem upset if barbarians aren't angry.
You ask them, i guess. I think it is totally okay, but this is something everyone can see little differently.

If i were swashbuckler and got somehow Fighting Style, i would go with Defense. I don't think name dueling means it is fancy, skillful style. You can use it with fucking warhammer, ffs.

The rest...

>2nd Level
Misty Step (Veyas)
Scorching Ray (I trace burning red arcane circles that connect to each other, a new beam forming after each completed circle. I can trace lines across them to target creatures in another direction.)
Shadow Blade (I drag my open hand across a nearby shadow to rip the blade from the darkness. If there is no shadow I trace a dark purple sigil into the air to remove a blade from it.)
Branding Smite (Jagras!)

>3rd Level
Haste(I trace a vibrant pale arcane clock in front of me and turn it right.)
Fly (I trace a vibrant blue arcane wing in front of me.)
Lighting Bolt (I trace a furious blue sparking sigil of lightning in front of me and extend my hand through it. The symbol is a triangle with extended and notched ends.)
Counterspell (I trace a light blue circular sigil and pull at the center as if plucking the spell from the caster's mouth.)
Elemental Weapon (I trace a different elemental sigil around the weapon that I'm buffing and embed it on the weapon as well. Fire is a burning circle of power, cold is a dark blue diamond, acid is a dark green triangle, lightning is a sparkling blue circle of power, thunder is a pale arcane scar. Each one has a small triangle inside)
Blinding Smite (Shier!)

>4th Level
Dimension Door (Duos Veyas!)
Banishment (I trace a free blue arcane door that closes when the target fails the save, stays open otherwise.)

>5th Level
Hold Monster (I trace an arcane spiral from head to toe.)
Teleportation Circle (The entire ritual involves tracing circles with chalk and arcane magic.)
Steel Wind Strike (A pulse of arcane energy radiates from me within the spells range and I trace a line that connects each target from my location and strike.)

>6th level
Disintegrate (I trace a powerful and chaotic green circle in the air with my index finger, and point at my target)

>7th
Plane Shift (With the tuning device I trace a bright red line around my hands, which extends to anyone affected by the spell.)

>Is it okay to refluff
Yes, as long as everyone else is cool with it.
The golden rule is: Don't be a dick about it.

I'd like to see someone play it like action movie hero grit, where you gain the benefits of rage from sheer determination, and it wears off to represent your plot armor wearing out.
Or maybe some kind of stiff upper lip haughtiness?

>tfw enjoy playing Fighters
>tfw want to totally expand and buff the shit out of Fighting Styles
>tfw don't like the one, maybe two things that are floating around already

>tfw no 5e video game that rivals Shadows of Amn in depth

I kinda wish fighters got an archetype that made them sort of work like 4e fighters, with a mix of short and long rest abilities

Something like that wouldn't be horrible. My biggest issue with 4e Fighter was that I just didn't like any of the powers specifically.

I've been tempted to make a revised fighter for my table. We all really like the idea of the fighter have a few Maneuvers from the base and having Battlemaster just have far more of them as their specialty. Someone probably made something like this before but eh, might keep me busy in my off weeks.

4e per encounter abilities are probably a pretty good resource to try and flesh out the pool of Maneuvers even further, aye?

Something like a Cleave action would be nice for martials.

What books beyond the PHBs in 4e contained stuff for Fighters and such? I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the 4e splatbooks.

No idea man. I never played it.

So what do Fighting Styles mean in your opinion, anyway?

Gosh darn. Guess i'll hunt around through the trove until I find stuff. Dunno if I'll post any progress or anything like that on here. 5eg gets autistic when it comes to homebrew posts. Usually the bad ones but thats most of them anyway.

A more nuanced version of weapon specialization feats and class features from previous editions.

martial power, martial power 2, dark sun campaign setting, loads of dragon magazines

This is actually encouraged by the devs. Just be forward about what you'd like to do with your table first.

I'm currently enjoying my not-yugioh PC very much.

Check the 4e wiki, its listings are extensive, with book and Dragon Mag sources.

Because I can go online and get mad at people who don't have the same opinion as me on Veeky Forums all day long

Refluffing anything is all good if the party/DM says it's all good. Bring it up, ask them about it, and if they're good with it you're good to go.

So what level would you give this to a player?

Wind Sword
>Longsword (Requires Attunement)
>You gain a new attack option that you can use with the Attack action while using this weapon. This special attack is a ranged weapon attack with a range of 30 feet. You are proficient with it, and you add your Strength or Dexterity modifier for its attack and damage rolls. Its damage is slashing, and its damage die is a d10. You can use your action to unleash 5 melee weapon attacks against a target within range. You cannot use this feature until the next Sunset.

>giving Wind Sword and Astra effect as well

I'd split them up and give Wind Sword at anywhere after 5 and slap Astra either on its own weapon or a Vague Katti port dragging around an Improved Critical effect or something for 15+

Would definitely split up the effects. The first one could be fine at lower levels, nothing too game breaking. The Astra effect is overkill though.

Also any particular reason it's specifically Sunset as opposed to a long rest cool down?

Gotcha. How about if I made the Wind sword Finessable (Its described as a lightweight item, but a shortsword feels kinda weak)? Or would that be too much for say 5-10? Also is this what you meant with the Vague Katti?

Vague Katti
>Longsword(?)
>The Vague Katti scores a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. You can use your action to unleash 5 melee weapon attacks against a target within range. You cannot use this feature until the next Sunset.

I could throw on disadvantage for those 5 attacks to make it less crazy if you think that would be a good fit for a tier 3 character.

Items recharge at certain times of day, like dusk, noon, midnight, etc. So I was thinking Sunset for this one.

I'm completely clueless as to what this is referencing but shouldn't the ranged special attack have a -1 penalty per 5 foot or something?

Could call the Wind Sword just a rapier. I know the only actual Rapiers in FE are ones the Lords use, but it doesn't always matter for D&D. Or just hadn it out as appropriate to whatever player is getting it. If it's someone adamantly pushing for their extra special Finesse Longsword, fine, but otherwise, a regular Longsword or Rapier is fine.

And yeah, that's a fine Astra/Vague Katti. If we're going off the Black Knight and Alondite posting from a bit ago.

No why would you think that? Its similar to the Sun Soul monks sun bolts. In fact, it uses its wording except here it is a weapon attack that can use dex or strength

The Sun Blade is a Rare item that is a Finessable +2 Longsword. So I don't think it would be too bad for a Rare item like this.

Also yeah, I was just thinking about what would be a reasonable level for the non-artifact tier items.

I'm currently playing a barb whose rage is just fear and adrenaline

>youtube.com/watch?v=Gh01591jjtI
It's interesting to hear crawford rationalize 5th edition's greatest flaw.

Timestamp?

i think just one minute in, where he's discussing the three pillars of DnD, and how social interaction has the least rules.

I'm not even going to watch that I'm already disappointed enough in how Wizards are handling 5e.

I mean it's a game by autists for autists.

Crawford is alright to listen to. Imagine how much more of a trainwreck it would be if Mearls were explaining it.

That being said, they both have a caster-fetish that continues to shit up the class balance with every piece of new content.

I wish it was caster fetish and not just wizard fetish

I mean, caster fetish is still bad, but it would be better if it extended to sorcerers and non-blaster warlocks

Yeah, I don't even think he's aware that giving casters spells that replace social interaction AND the same skill progression as everyone else, while giving only the skill progression to martials is fundamentally imbalanced.

Like my biggest criticism with 5e is that unless you have stellar players, your martialcucks are going to tend to smash everything rather than do any social or exploration shit at all, because
1. They have no special tools to navigate the non-combat pillars. When all you have is a great sword, every problem looks like a head to chop off.
2. Casters do it better anyways, with access to both skills and SPELLs.

Apparently this is by design, Before I thought crawford was just incompetent, but now apparently he's doing it on purpose.

God I'd kill for non-combat abilities on martial characters.

Just as predicted.

Why the fuck do you need rules on having a conversation?

>I want to give funny reply
>Ok, roll a d20 and add your intelligence modifier. Your proficiency bonus too if you have the 'humour' skill
>I interrupt him
>Ok, both of you roll initiative to see if you can quick enough

unfortunately according to WotC, giving martials non combat abilities necessitates not giving them combat abilities

Which is how you get the Mastermind rogue

The explanation I've heard is that they allow extremely socially/roleplay/autistic/etc inapt people to play face characters.

see: You don't need rules on the conversation (though more guidance for setting the DC for DMs would be nice, and as always, having rules for succeeding/failing with secondary disadvantage/advantage would be ace), but non casters do need features to act as roleplaying prompts.

>GM makes Sorcerer Meta Magic free
>After seeing the sorcerer spam bonus action cantrips, he allows it for wizard spells as well, he feels it is fairly balanced as long as it doesn't apply to EB.
>My Bladesinger can now cast a spell and Bladecantrip, or bladecantrip twice
This is fun as fuck holy shit. I don't give a fuck about being squishy, it feels fucking awesome to BB a big ass elite guy, before Blade Wind Striking out, taking out a ton of small thrash minions and getting to safety.

The EK still makes fun of me for being a shitty wizard, but fuck that man, I am having a blast here.

>dm allows sorcerer a nice feature
>wizardfag sees someone else having a nice thing, won't stop whining until dm gives it to him as well
>sorcerer back to no longer having exclusive nice thing.

Welcome to liking sorcerers

I love how hard WotC are pushing to give Wizards the ability to alter damage types when that should very obviously be a metamagic option. And isn't it great that a wizard will always have more spells prepared than a sorcerer can know in total?

Heres a question I've been pondering for some time: Can you revive a vampryre? Say my character has died and turned into a vampyre, and I have a Cleric cast Resurrection on him can it revive him to turn him human again?

Don't forget how nearly every every school of magic gives better class options than the sorcerer bloodlines give.

Fuck me that was badly worded, I must have lost a couple fingers writing that.

>vampyre
>y

I think in most settings pretentious enough to call them "vampryre" the answer is no.

Nah, I dont care. I love sorcerers, so seeing him have fun and be really effective, was great. The problem was how much I lacked behind with my shitty Bladesinger, compared to the hasted GWM Fighter and hasted CBE Rogue. He felt it might even it out a bit by letting me bonus action cantrips.

My GM loves upping the powerlevel, rather than nerfing the things that are too strong. So far he is handling it very well.

Up to DM. I'd probably say no, there's a difference between death and undeath.

bladesinger isn't shitty

>oh no, I as an unbuffed wizard cannot do as much regular damage as two martials under the most powerful buff in the game, despite having 5 times the utility as those same martials, this is unacceptable balance, better steal the sorcerer's features.
Wizardfags everyone

Literally the worst wizard you could possibly make.

Literally most OP wizard that made it to the books.

It's a wizard with high AC, it's one of the best wizards you can make.

Eh, I picked mostly melee oriented spells, and my GM uses very few wizards, and rarely includes spellbooks in our loot, so it kinda is, when I am playing it as basically a squishy fighter.

>being this mad

The sad part is, they're still not as bad as gishfags.

you don't really need access to other wizards to be good as a wizard, you still get a new spell every level

Can anyone point me to a place where I could make a Revenant PC without it being borked?

Also I'm brand new to D&D, where should I go to first and what do I do?

This is for 5e, sorry I forgot.

>Brand new to D&D
>Already wants to make a special snowflake character from an asspulled race that's not even in the game.

Legit advice, please leave and go play Pathfinder instead. Thanks.

You should use the revenant rules from the gothic heroes UA.

Where would fit the Hexblade and the multiclassed lock on this?

Fine, I'd do with a mountain dwarf warrior thingy, but I have no idea how to properly set up a skill sheet.

>paladin sucks I can't eve smite using my bow

>brand new
>wants to play a Revenant

They're not paladins, so they're shit. Paladin is already the perfect gish, but gishfags keep whining about how they have no options and trying to make non-gish classes into gishes. They're worse than Wizard players, somehow.