System like ad&d 1e/2e with modern rules?

Title says it all i am looking for the old school feel but with thing like ascending AC

any recommendation?

play 5e?

>hurrrrrrr

Castles and Crusades

Check out BFRPG for something based on Basic rather than AD&D

Also note we have a thread for this stuff, /osrg/

If ascending AC is the only sticking point, there are a number of games retroclones that use it (including Basic Fantasy, as mentioned). It's also a breeze to convert from descending to ascending AC. Just subtract descending AC from 20 to get ascending AC, and subtract THAC0 from 20 to get your attack bonus (or just consult the table in the pic here).

Castles and Crusades is more "modernized" using the d20 mechanic as the basis of its system. However, some people find its SIEGE engine (the math to its d20 mechanic, essentially) to be a bit wonky. The biggest thing I'd point out is that saving throws start off very difficult to make, at least if they target your secondary attributes (your weak saves, basically), and they don't get any easier as you level (not against casters of your same level, anyway). This takes away one of the key ways in which old school D&D limited the power of high-level casters, falling into the same trap as 3e did. While this oversight is pretty egregious, in my opinion, the issue is easily solved: add only half a caster's level to their spell's challenge level.

Labyrinth Lord's Advanced Edition Companion might be looking into if you're mostly concerned about getting a more streamlined presentation of AD&D (without some of the wonky clutter that folks tend to ignore anyway) than modernized mechanics (it doesn't have ascending AC, but as has been pointed out, it's easy enough to convert that).

Just play 2e
it's very simple, if your attack roll + their AC >/= your THAC0, you hit. Otherwise, you miss.

I like everything of castles and crusades except the SIEGE engine

mmm 5e doesnt have the right feel to it

I more or less agree, though it's obviously central to the game and so affects a decent bit.

no thanks they mostly talk about pre add stuff
Might check it

Basic and AD&D ran concurrently. They started the very same year and were both effectively put out to pasture by 3e. They are also fundamentally the same when it comes to their core systems. AD&D just has more stuff stacked (or, some would say, slapped) on top.

Check out Swords & Wizardry Complete. It's what I play.

Basically, it's OD&D plus all the splatbooks, which makes it almost-AD&D, with only one saving throw stat (plus a bonus to certain specific kinds of saves depending on class) and rules for ascending AC (and for converting descending to ascending AC so you can still use old modules).

Play mythras or hackmaster

>Play mythras or hackmaster
Mythras isn't appropriate for OP's request. Hackmaster isn't appropriate to be played.

Mythras classic fantasy

>ascending AC
basic subtraction is too hard for my special needs brain.

The entire OSR movement is about this.

I recommend The Black Hack for the most mathematically streamlined version.

>Castles and Crusades
Came here to post this.

>no thanks they mostly talk about pre add stuff
The only place I can think of where that's the case is odd74.
If you're only interested in AD&D talk, Knight and Knights Alehouse is all about it.

Black Hack isn't OSR and, more importantly, is garbage.
And the OSR movement is _specifically_ not about this.
Castles and Crusades was about this. OSRIC was about saltier grogs not liking Castles and Crusades.

>they mostly talk about pre add stuff
AD&D and its derivatives are literally what they mostly talk about.

Hackmaster has the best bestiary though.

B/X and its derivatives. AD&D rarely comes up beyond 'is 2e OSR' memes.

Just play ad&d 1e/2e. There's nothing wrong with their rules, just fucking learn them like a normal human being.

They only seem scary to you because you're USED to modern rules. Try something new for once.

They look scary even to people used to Basic. The design and more importantly layout of AD&D is genuinely a clusterfuck

It takes 10 minutes to make an ad&d 1e/2e character. Most of the "complexity" is done by the GM, since they're the ones who decide if your attack even hits (since you don't know your opponent's AC score in the first place).
Depends on the book you read, but the ones I read don't seem like a "clusterfuck" at all, other than the tables for saving throws and turn undead being in odd locations.

Piss off. People who don't like a bunch of fiddly, ad-hoc rules aren't necessarily incapable or scared of learning them. Old school D&D is a complete fucking mess, and modern design is objectively better.

They appear "fiddly" and "ad-hoc" because you're used to the modern systems, which in reality, are exactly as complex.

>modern design is objectively better
I'm and I'm going to stop you right there even though I know you're shitposting. 3.5 is much more of a shore to learn and play than AD&D, even if it has some old-school oddities. 5e is not as terrible as it, but it's very bland and badly designed in many core aspects of the system

>Castles and Crusades
What do you like about it? could you sell me on the SIEGE system?

BUMP

why is black hack garbage?

I am not the one replied but i think people think its garbage because its resemblance with dungeon world

Hackmaster 5

It's a relatively crunchy system reminiscent of the 2nd edition AD&D. Characters are rolled randomly, but there's a building point system on top where you can adjust and customize to some degree. Pick up quirks and flaws for more BPs makes every character rather distinct and unique.

It uses a simultaenous second based combat system instead of a round or turn based system. Something like this was developed for Aces&Eights which is a western style game.

Combat focuses on reach, weapon speed, attack and defense rolls, ripostes, penetrating armor, penetrating damage rolls (aka an exploding dice mechanic), shield hits, shield breaks, and thresholds of pain. It's complicated but you get of interesting combat situations that arise from that depth. Due to the pain system, a single decent blow can knock almost anyone out of a fight, and it could literally be all over in a second or two.

Armor and shields feel correct. They adjust defense and provide damage reduction.

Spells use components, and spellpoints to adjust their strength and alter their behavior, spell fatigue after casting which allows you to balance out magic in a more interesting fashion and prevents quadratic casters which plague some systems.

There's 43 different clerics which each have their own spells and powers.

Wounds use vaguely realistic healing times, so without clerical healing or decent first aid skill you could be down for a very long time and this helps create distinction between a dozen lesser wounds and one grievous injury.

Overall I like it because everyone is constantly involved in every combat scenario, instead of sitting around waiting for their turn. You can start to react to changing battle events and conditions on the very second they occur. The granularity is rewarding in my opinion.

I realize it's not to everyone's taste, but I've played a lot of different systems over the past 15 years and this one is so far my favorite. Also my longest running campaign.

I like the idea of hackmaster but when i see the combat example they use i find it funny but discouraging at the same time

... But it doesn't resemble DW?

Like, aside from the whole streamlined D&D bit

There's enough complexity that it can take some time to wrap your head around it, but the "real time" combat flows really well once everyone knows what they're doing.
Like most things, it's better learned by doing than by reading.

Better way to explain it.

THAC0 is the DC of landing a hit, and enemy AC is your modifier to hit. Same with saving throws.

3.5?

Or maybe you just use whatever system you fucking want and just run it in the old style.
Or put up with the old rules because THAT IS WHAT GAVE THE GAMES THEIR FLAVOUR.

Fuck off.