/5eg/ - Fifth Edition D&D General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
What is the best way you've seen class or race flavoured?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1_9X7TJTgMPVacmjknfqDJDT5PgVc4z6CAcHQMeWHflE/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tell me about your favorite characters Veeky Forums. I want to get inspired.

DM wants to know if my Half-Orc Barbarian is from a tribe close to the region of the campaign or from far away. I can't make up my mind, first reply decides

close

how do i make an annoying dodgey versatile fighter? i want speed and agility and teleports behind u like ability

Hexblade

New lurker here who will play my first game in two weeks.

What is “that guy” and how do I not be him?

Sounds like you should make a swashbuckler. Maybe take a couple of levels in fighter

"That Guy" is the idiot who ruins the game for everyone. Just don't be an asshole and be conscientious of other peoples' fun and it's easy to avoid.

You want specifically a fighter or just any martial? Bladelocks, horizon walker ranger and shadow monk fit the bill.

Bladelocks require level 7 to take the invocation that let them do it. Lets them teleport 30ft next to a target cursed by a hex or hex-like feature.

Horizon Walker ranger requires level 11, and has a 10ft range, but doesn't have to put you next to your target.

Shadow monk requires your current location and destination to be in dim light or darkness, but has a range of 60ft and you get a feature that gives advantage after teleporting.

Hill Giant foundling raised by Halflings

docs.google.com/document/d/1_9X7TJTgMPVacmjknfqDJDT5PgVc4z6CAcHQMeWHflE/edit?usp=sharing

Guys my new DM is letting us play with this homebrew and one of the players is already going to try it.

Should I abort?

Hey. Newcomer to tabletop in general. I've played 5e as my first game for about 8 sessions now and I want to ask a question that'll help me solidify my character's backstory.

About how much gold would it take to raise a mercenary army capable of completely conquering a city-state of moderate defenses hosting a population of about 200 thousand total?

My character's backstory/motivation is basically that he escaped incarceration of an evil city-state when he and his pirate friends were betrayed by their captain for a large reward and captured. He escaped with 2, but the rest of them are still back there, wasting away in jail, so he's sworn to work towards liberating them and destroying the entire city.

So, he wants to raise an army capable of doing so. How much gold exactly would that take? I know it's completely unobtainable, but I'd like a rough estimate. The book says that it's about 5 gold per day for a skilled warrior, but I imagine there's a lot of hidden costs and stuff to factor in.

It entirely depends on the group, but a few common ones are stuff like playing edgy characters that don't cooperate with the party at all, metagaming and in general just being an antisocial twat.

Would I still be “that guy” if I make my character edgy but no one has a problem with it?

Is “that guy” a specific play style or just the guy who keeps doing thing to annoy the party?

Edgy characters in no way necessitate a that guy (but are commonly seen in that guys), and it's mostly about annoying the other players. Just play nice and have fun

Don't get caught up in trying your hardest not to be That Guy, most of the stories you hear around here are worst case scenarios and complete autists. The fact that you're even concerned about being That Guy in the first place makes you far, FAR less likely to do anything too terrible.
Just have fun, and keep in mind that other people are trying to have fun, too. As long as you A) don't ruin other people's fun for the sake of your own and B) talk to people when you either aren't having fun or are having a problem with them, then you'll never be That Guy.

Is he that guy?

1. trying to steal spotlight and make every session an episode about you
2. rules lawyering aka chiming in on anything that you think goes against the rules and always goes by exactly what's in the book
3. causing unnecessary drama OOC and other social faux paus
4. bringing your fetishes into the game ("magical realm" for when a DM does it)
5. making characters intentionality abrasive to the party as a whole
6. playing it like a video game or MMO. worrying about having the best tech tree or DPS, or trying to take any lot that is an improvement for you regardless of context
7. ghosting sessions

for more examples visit a That Guy thread

Yes, yes he is.

What is difference between 1 and being party face?

>tfw DM tells me after the session he's really starting to like my character and is interested in seeing where I take him

doesn't have to be the class fighter, i just want to make an artful dodger character that can do decent damage and has nice flavor. my main intent is to be the guy that always implicitly finds a way out of situations and annoys enemies in combat by being stupid hard to hit.

i considered assassin or rogue in general because uncanny dodge is similar to what I'm thinking about but i don't want to miss out on other abilities that may better fit my theme.

Party face tends to be an agreed upon role held by a character that can tactfully maneuver social scenarios. The face tends to have the highest charisma score and is thus decent or better in the following skills:
>Persuasion
>Deception
>Insight
This allows the player to aid their party in out of combat encounters such as diplomatic hearings, dinner parties, or shopping sprees

What exactly did he do that got him kicked off the show? I've never seen CR

It definitely sounds like a swashbuckler or an arcane trickster to me

face is his job, but face doesn't make all the decisions unless that's your parties vibe.

typixal face interaction:
Party "wet need to get the king to listento us"
face pressures the king into having a meeting with him

That Guy interaction:
Party "we need to get the king to listen to us"
TG "i teleport into the kings room and threaten to kill him and his children if he doesn't do X. i also steal anything of value in his room

inb4 he murders your parents

Party face is about mediating between NPCs and other players mostly because you have some gameplay feature that makes you more suited to it (e.g. a language that no one else has, high CHA, a background that makes NPCs relate to you, etc.). It's essentially a role in the same way that tank or DPS is.

I don’t know for sure but recently he stole money originally belonging to a charity stream he held to buy a PS4

A monk with mobile feat is incredibly good.
Bonus points if it's an Aarakocra.

Be high up, move in to attack an enemy, then immediately fly back up.

He was struggling with things in his personal life that affected how he was acting both on and off the show. He had drug problems and apparently had AIDS too or something, idk. Point was, he wasn't in a good space and he and GnS had a talk about it and he agreed to being let go and maybe being allowed to work with them again if he ever got his act together. As far as I know, he's still working on doing that part

theyre already dead

>playing true Neutral rogue
>pretty boring backstory, was a criminal, worked as a smuggler, got caught and had to leave the city due to being a wanted halfling
>be non Dickish, sorta a pasifist.
>dm keeps trying to push my character into being evil
> resist
>keeps pushing
>end up going full that guy and ruining his campeign

>Party face tends to be an agreed upon role

There is absolutely no need for a party face. Only lazy DMs let this happen. It just means one max CHA character does ALL the social interaction, all the discussions, all the attempts to convince. This might have been necessary in 3.pf but seriously in 5e?

Seriously fucking hate the concept of "party face" especially the meme that it's required.

N-Nani!?

Some games legitimately do benefit from a dedicated "party face" roll, but D&D is not one of them

>resurrection
>you're parents are now a hafling and a half orc
>aaaand they've been murdered again

I never said that it was required, just that the difference between it and being a "That Guy" is that the face is agreed upon. That Guy tries to push the team into making him the face. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Execution. A party face doesn't have to be the center of every interaction ever just because they're good at it, just like a Fighter isn't going to swing your sword for you. The problem occurs when a minmaxxer decides that no action should be taken without the person with the biggest numbers doing the rolling.

so that Guy is all about wanting to do everything for your party to make it about yourself

Hey /5eg/, I could use a bit of help with brainstorming.

What are good or interesting reasons to hide a tomb under something innocuous like a lighthouse or a guard tower? I'll admit that I'm working kind of backwards with my session building at the moment, starting with the dungeon design of "tomb hidden beneath an old tower" and then working backwards to figure out the "who hid this tomb here and why"

CHA based characters will always make better "faces", and even if other characters can contribute now if their players so choose, 5e still does a relatively shitty job of enabling all players a social role

former wizard tower or a base/home for a lowly npc that learned some awesome power and used it to build a underground cave that was converted to his tomb?

Making a tomb RIGHT by the coast in some rocky area where you are likely to find a lighthouse is probably the shittiest idea. Under a wizards tower is probably the most likely.

>character’s parents and entire family is dead
>exploring foreign territory so not much backstory action
>play ancestral guardian barb so I can carry my backstory with me

I asked a couple threads back about the WOTC roll20 content, I ended up buying and running Sunless Citadel tonight and wanted to report back that what you get is okay but compared to prepping yourself it isn’t that much better, the only thing they did that I hadn’t thought about was have a separate handout folder for all the art of the monsters and scenes and such. I’m running Forge of Fury for a Saturday group using the stuff from the trove and in regards to dynamic lighting and such it’s about the same as what I setup. They do pre-place DM layer trap indicators and pre-place,name and give HP and AC indicators for all the NPC tokens though which is really convinent. The handouts and info for the DM that come with the package are basically just ripped straight from the book only this time it’s more difficult to read, I found myself just opening the PDF and referring to that instead.
All in all, It saved me prep-time but didn’t replace prep-time, you still need to spend an hour or two getting to know the content and taking notes.

They did a lot but I expected a bit more for a $9 WOTC pre-packaged addon.

How to make an interesting Arcane Archer build?

I honestly think that the best-run game would push skills like Persuasion and Perception to the wayside (mostly) and leave it up to what the players can figure out/say. Am I [SPOILER]/osr?[/SPOILER]

What came first the tomb or the tower?

cockney arbalist folk hero who saved a bunch of knights in the war who is retired from the army for mercenary work and is grouchy and an asshole but has a heart of gold

Yes, you are, that sucks,

Tower first, tomb second

The tower's the last remnant of an ancient church/temple, which then got repurposed. The crypt was where they interred their dead.

This is my first mountain-dorf fighter.

How is it? What can I do better?

No, you would be correct.

>cockney arbalist folk hero
Yes. All my yeses. Just straight up battlemaster or?

Hey /5eg/ I'm trying to make a character who gets things done by summoning things to assist him, so for example instead of him casting fireball he would summon a cannon that he then uses to attack people.
Or another example would be instead of casting floating desk he could summon a staircase to walk up. Unfortunately i'm a brainlet and short of illusion wizard cheese i can't really figure out how to do it

Talk to your DM about refluffing a class. Just like you said, when you cast fireball, instead of casting a regular explosion of flame, you summon a mortar that drops an explosion of flame on them

Drop the CHA, funnel a bit more into DEX or WIS since those are important saving throws. Also clean up your sheet son, your proficiencies are a mess and super redundant.

What's the point of the spell Demiplane not letting you get back to the place you left? Seems unnecessarily autistic to me.

What? As long as the door is open you can just walk right back out.

He got cancer

More like he was cancer

is it possible/viable to make a pc that focuses most of his energy on summoning things to fight for him/necromancer? i want a pc that can raise a small army of thralls

How do we fix monk, /5eg/?

nerf wizard

When should PCs start getting +1/magic weaponry?

As soon as the DM feels like it

Skip gold you would need Platinum

A thief whose escaped from the most secure prison on the continent, like a wizard-powered Alcatraz.

why do you hate your fellow players and also your DM

If you don't want to give a shit about resistances/immunities on monsters, then around level 5. It really just depends on the DM, it's possible (though admittedly difficult) to never need any magical weapons for the whole run of 1 - 20.

because I'm a forever DM that makes PCs so i can fantasize about the day I'll actually be able to use one

As someone who is currently playing one I would say simply had class specific weapons that you can channel your chi into or maybe just turn it into a class

Necromancer wizard definitely works for this. You can spend all your level 3+ spell slots on 'animate dead'. level 3 spell slot = 4 undead controlled, level 4 = 6 undead, etc.
Warlock multiclass allows you to do this on a short rest.

It's one of the most powerful things you can do b ut it's sure to piss off your DM and a pissed off DM can easily curb your power.

It only stays open for an hour. I imagined it as a place to take safe, long rests.

Me too buddy, i'm playing a Pc for the first time since keep on the shadowfell

tomorrow*

whats a good argument against pathfinder?

What isn't?

You need an excel sheet to play it

Got in a bit late in that last thread, but in my opinion:
A DMPC is a co-star, NPCs are part of the world the stars inhabit.

And NPCs can be hirelings or henchmen or trusted longterm allies following you into scraps without being full-fledged DMPCs.

why do you need an argument. Go play pathfinder if you want to go play pathfinder.

I am legitimately wondering why people consider it a bad game

Technically you still could if you planned on Plane Shifting back when you were done. I imagine the 1 hour limit on the door and lack of option to reopen it is there precisely to thwart people trying to rest in it, because unlike the other spells for shelter/rests this one has no duration limit and can't be dispelled, detected, or interacted with in literally any way by enemies unless they happen to know nature and contents and Demiplane there themselves. I suppose you could add in another way back if you were so inclined, but it would shift the power of the spell dramatically.

Go make a thread about it then. This one is for 5e, not system wars.

Halforc raised in a tribe lead by his human father

only 4e was bad user. but isn't it past your bedtime, even for friday?

The best way to play is to ignore most of the DMing guidelines and just eyeball damn near everything.
Both Pathfinder and 3e D&D use a meticulous 'wealth by level' guideline as the unified pillar of player character advancement, but all the trappings of this are rotten make the game a pain in the but to deal with.

It also preserves the irksome way skills work, which alongside everything else is part of why magic is actually so strong. If martial characters had more reliable access to skills and if skills were more satisfying then spells wouldn't be able to be as much of a panacea.

There are some things Pathfinder can do well, but they are also things that I would confidently similar systems ultimately do better. If you want a sophisticated "character engine" RPG, try Fantasy Craft or Legend or 4e D&D (which sucked all kinds of dick at launch, but development really shored up its weakest points with compelling options and subsystems...I still despise GMing it, though).

Dragonborn Sorcerer Charitain who uses Prestidigitation to pull of his scams with a robin hood twist and also talks like a used car salesman.

Sorcerer who acts like a child because he grew up being told that he was great because he's super talented at magic and now he's a manchild with Big Fish Small Pond Syndrome.

5e is streamlined which caters to actually role-playing as your character.
Pathfinder is fun as an autistic character builder but everything else is extremely tedious and boring.
5e's combat flows smoothly and quickly, the advantage/disadvantage mechanic is great.
Pathfinder's combat is an autistic spreadsheet simulator.
5e is crunchy and your choices in character building are actually meaningful and your character isn't useless.
Pathfinder has lots of choices and options at face value but a misstep in this overabundance of choice and options can mean your character is basically useless and can't meaningful contribute.
Would never play or DM Pathfinder again.

couldn't just let it go could you

why is it so hated? edginess? keeping track of the undead?

Bogging down every encounter into a minion slightly fest.

Slug*
Also yes I'm a phone poster blow me

Is Fear just an insanely powerful spell or am I reading it wrong?
First there's a saving throw, and if they fail it they have to drop their weapon and use their action to dash away as far as they can. If they end their turn out of line of sight of the caster, then they can roll another saving throw to shake off the effect. If they fail it, they then AGAIN have to use dash to run away as far as they can.
So in an open area they just keep running for fucking ever, and if it's a more enclosed space they can still fail the save and keep running, on top of losing whatever they're holding so they'd have to run and get that first.

You're reading it right, but it's hardly "insanely powerful." Definitely strong, but concentration, 30ft friendly fire cone, and likelyhood of breaking line of sight when not in a white featureless room make it hard to call it insane.

Well, yeah, that's fine. I just want to know a rough number to shoot for.