Am I that guy? Should I retire my character?

Am I that guy? Should I retire my character?

I was reading a "that guy" thread, and I got worried my character is too overpowered. Perhaps you can give me some advice.

I rolled pretty well on my stats, 7/18/16/12/15/11, and I ended up with a belt of hill giant's strength so after leveling my stats looked like 21/20/20/12/16/11. Now, I'm playing a lizardfolk barbarian in 5e. I'm pretty new to the system too, so I wasn't aware, but this combo is absolutely insane. I have 23 AC! And high strength/advantage on strength checks means it's quite difficult to grapple me.

We finished white plume mountain and I ended up with Blackrazor, so advantage on saves, can't be charmed or frightened, etc.

Then, in the next session, I go to kill a ferryman (Blackrazor is about to consume my soul), and our cleric calls the town guard and attacks me. By the time I wrestle him down to 0 HP, I haven't taken a single point of damage. I don't kill him outright, and the session ends with him vowing to hunt me down by any means necessary.

Paranoid about this, I pick up the "mage slayer" feat and as it turns out, this feat shores up the only weakness I had -- spell effects.

So now I have high stats, high ac, advantage on grapple checks, high health, half damage from all but psychic (bear totem), and now, 100% advantages on saves against spells cast next to me.

Is something like this too strong to be fun to play with?

The DM has hit on me before so I'm also worried he would play favorites and not let me know if he didn't like my character.

>In-fighting caused by you
Yes.

> DM provided Blackrazor
That DM confirmed, you're absolved, OP. It was a setup. Destroy the character sheet (so the DM doesn't make it the next boss) and announce you are retiring the character. If the DM or anyone else gives you a hard time, leave, because the chances they are playing fair are low.

Being self aware enough to wonder whether you might be That Guy and taking action to prevent it is a pretty good indication that you're probably NOT That Guy, but tell me more about this fight with the cleric. Does the player playing seemed upset as well? Also I don't really play DND, is this Blackrazor thing important?

So your character is an enemy of the party?

Explain that it's clearly time for a new character and that one can go be an npc for the cleric to chase after. Make your new guy a little more in line with the others balance-wise, and try to be low key. Let others have the spotlight to drive home that you're not some attention whore. Ask them in character about themselves, be supportive etc. They'll like you just fine.

Blackrazor is a legendary weapon, it's super strong, but it comes with a drawback: You have to kill someone every three days with the weapon, or else it consumes your soul and only a very powerful wish spell can bring you back to life. So, when it came to day three I started looking for an NPC to kill. The cleric didn't want me to kill an NPC so he attacked me.

It's really hard to tell if he's angry. He said he isn't, but it seems like he intends on making the game hell for me until I get rid of blackrazor, which doesn't feel fair since he also has a legendary weapon.

>That DM confirmed, you're absolved, OP. It was a setup.
>the chances they are playing fair are low.
How do yo mean?

The rest of the party was not involved in this fight at all, but I guess I'm the enemy of this cleric now.

I think you're right about getting rid of the character. I originally made her as a grappler to control the battlefield and support others, but she's just become too good at everything.

Of course, just my luck that I finally find a character I enjoy thematically and she's unplayable with the rest of the group.

Keep the character, roleplay a redeeming act where you toss the sword.

Or kill the Cleric in 3 days

sorry if this if off topic, i thought it didn't deserve its own thread.
i am a new DM and recently i asked the party of play with if they could be a little more game focused, like dont stop game to roll a blunt, dont talk about that chick on your cell phone or role play seriously, dont leave the table before break. one of them got kinda offended, did i that guy myself?

Maybe talk to the dm about balancing? I agree with ditching the weapon and redeeming yourself.

Honestly it's the dm's fault for doing stat rolls, and the system's fault for being unbalanced

No

If he's not actually angry then it's fair to react realistically.

I mean, he's a cleric, and you're running around murdering people. Any "real" person would have a problem with that unless they were evil too.

In other words, you're putting everyone else in a bad position because you're forcing them to do something about you or be forced to not be their characters, if their characters are decent people.

So they have to call your bluff. This is the logical consequence of using Blackrazor.

It doesn't mean it has to be a "bad" thing but if you're going to use it you have to accept that you'll get people coming after you.

The best way to handle this kind of thing is make sure all of your evil doing is in secret so no good characters have to worry about it. Once it's public then it's everybody's problem.

I'm just going to bring a new character. Roleplay wise, it doesn't make sense for the cleric not to attack me, and roleplay wise, it doesn't make sense for my lizardfolk to throw away Blackrazor.

Maybe have your character run away to become a gladiator, forced to stay in the arena slaying foes for fear of losing his soul or becoming a criminal should he kill the wrong person in sustaining himself.

That is a smart idea.

I don't know the specifics of how it works, but couldn't you store Blackrazor in either a physical location (super-impenetrable jewdwarf bank) or in a box/chest/bag of holding until you need it for a major quest, whereupon you'll retrieve it prior to leaving for the quest? That way you don't have the 3 days timer going all the time. If your character is supposed to be a good guy, he probably wouldn't be all that happy about having to kill a(n innocent) person every 3 days, so it'd make sense for most people to be willing to settle for a lesser sword, especially since your character doesn't sound like they need the legendary sword to be good in a fight, till they know they're gonna need the big strong one.

>Keep Blackrazor off of your person to stop timer
>Keep non-cursed sword on your person just in case random encounters
>Get quest to go kill dragon/crime-boss/stop an invading army/wipe out cult
>Retrieve Blackrazor from storage
>Complete quest
>Return Blackrazor to storage

Doesn't D&D 5e have cursed items bind to you? You aren't supposed to be able to easily swap between using them and not.

>which doesn't feel fair since he also has a legendary weapon.

You're running around murdering people, it might be a legendary weapon but is it worth your character's reputation as a protector?

Asking the party to help you get rid of it or find a way to negate or reduce the drawback and make that the next arc of your story. This gives the DM some story to play with and you guys some questing to do. Who knows, you might find another legendary.

If the character continues to cause issues with their strength, maybe retire them. It doesn't seem like they have any real need for a legendary weapon with these stats.

Cursed items bind to you and can inflict horrid debuffs to you if you reject them. This one inflicts death. You'd need to have decurse cast on yourself to be able to let go of it and then dispel cast on yourself to stop any long-lasting effects it might try.

White Plume Mountain specifically has Blackrazor as one of the legendary items you get for completing the adventure.
Can you really blame the DM for following the adventure?

You've got a couple of choices:

>A. You have the character disappear out of the party and escape into the world. I'd recommend refusing to give the DM your character sheet if you do this, he absolutely will turn that character into an NPC boss.

>B. You make amends with the rest of the party, declare your intentions of ridding yourself of the evil weapon, and trying to be to appear sorry for the murders you are literally required to do without dying yourself.

>C. You leave the game.

There is another option, which involves going full evil, killing the party, and leaving, but that is a huge dick move.
Talk to the DM or the rest of the party out of the game. See if you cant get them OOC to understand the issues you're dealing with.

>You have to
That's why it's not your fault.

>White Plume Mountain specifically has Blackrazor as one of the legendary items you get for completing the adventure. Can you really blame the DM
OP said there were other indications the DM was turned against him as well. DM is being That Guy. Blackrazor is just what absolves OP because it requires his character to do those things. The giant strength girdle is just a bad decision by the DM.