MTG Commander/EDH General

Rolled 10 (1d100)

Staxdos Edition

Previously on /edhg/: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Discord Server
??? (needs to be updated)

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What are your favorite ways to break a stax lock?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kumena-lantern/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wildfire-wanderer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>Discord Server
>??? (needs to be updated)
Oh fuck me... Guess I have to start reading the pasta every time before I make a new thread.

Don't worry about it, someone appears to have snuck that in a couple threads ago. Discord is for fags anyway

Thanks for understanding user.

>Thread Question
I'm the only one brave enough to play stax in our group.

I'm getting tired of Reiterate Mizzix. What are some other fun wincons?

Fireball for lethal plus Radiate. End the game on your terms.

What are the best ~$100 commander decks for 1v1 (MTGO rules) that will may occasionally be used in multiplayer? Main opponent plays mikaeus the lunarch tokens deck.

If I was in a group with a heavy stax player it might actually convince me to build group hug just to fuck with him.

Draw most of my deck, make infinite mana, cast ghalta infinitely and kill people with either aetherflux reservoir or a massive hurricane. reposting since i didn't see the new thread ; ;

>If I was in a group with a heavy stax player it might actually convince me to build group hug just to fuck with him.
Group hug does not fuck stax players, it actually makes them way stronger because now their work arounds are more efficient, while everyone else is fugged.

>stax
>wincons?
step up your game casual

Li'l Zurgo, I guess

>Thread Q
I dunno, usually if someone pulls out a stax deck I'll just play control and not let them play anything detrimental to my game plan. If there's already a stax lock in play I try and dig for answers I guess.
Though to be fair, in my current playgroup only 2 players have stax decks (Oloro and a Derevi), the Oloro player is terrible at deck building and always gets cucked on lands because he refuses to put more than 25 in his deck, and the Derevi player got bored of all his games being 2+ hours so he's retooling it into Ishai + Thrasios Bant_fatties.dec

To me a stax lock implies that they've already got a hard lock set up. I can't think of many things that ruin a hard lock quite like free green mana and tons of extra cards. Its really inefficient but it might be the only interesting time to play group hug. Or chaos if you could ever cast scrambleverse. That'd be a neat solution to stax.

Thoughts on Bontu's Monument in Ghalta as redundancy for Aetherflux? I actually ran into someone last night who played Erebos, so my Aetherflux was shut right off. Also, you'd better be running my boy Greenbelt Rampager for sick Elemental Bond/Soul of the Harvest draws, Champion of Lambholt/Managorger/Forgotten Ancient triggers, wicked Primeval Bounty value, Cream of the Crop sorting, and topical Rhonas Monument OTKs.

What's your favorite big black mythic instant/sorcery that every fucking block since Innistraad seems to have one of?

what commander’s can you not find a solid netdeck for? this guy has been like searching for atraxa with less than 10 planeswalkers.

Not a mythic but still my favourite. Die, Timmy.

I'd be interested in listening to it, do a short demo and see how people like it.

What are some commanders who have good arch enemy game?

Most of the tutor generals (sisay, vig, zur, yisan) do what you want without going too far into cEDH territory.

Or you know, just go full cEDH

Oh my, that's my favorite commander. Remember, you can stack the top of your deck in a variety of ways, and if you give Maelstrom flash, I'm pretty sure you can cast sorceries at instant speed.

I think if I ever played this card as my “Wincon” I’d carry a sheet of Golden Star stickers around, and give them out as “participation awards” every time I finished the game with this.

It's like all precon.

I just run hurricane as a backup right now. The third backup being beatdowns if I really need to. If Erebos was out and I wasn't at the highest life I'd probably just primal command him if he wasn't a creature and if he was then just go for beatdowns on him before I finish off the other two. Nobody near me plays Erebos though so it'll probably never happen. Bontu's monument actually seems like a pretty solid idea as a backup though

>sorcery

but man magic used to have some amazing art

I think the only modern Magic Artist who captures that old Magic aesthetic is Seb McKinnon.

He does have some solid stuff

Saw a list floating around and really loved the idea of it so here is my rendition on Kumena Lantern. Feed back is cool.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kumena-lantern/

>What are your favorite ways to break a stax lock?

I usually play Stax so the things I most often see are people cyclonic rifting or otherwise trying to get rid of winter orb, outside of that most people don't focus on Stax pieces until it's too late or until they realise they can't do what they wanted to do.

I did experience a very hard lockout from a Zur deck, where torpor orb prevented ETBs, stony silence prevented activated abilities of artifacts, various ghostly prison effects meant we payed about 10 per attacking creature, karmic justice meant if we destroyed anything we'd get fucked, and then finally that enchantment that counters all spells and instead turns them into birds. So basically we couldn't cast anything, we couldn't attack, we couldn't activate any artifacts. Ironically he had no way of winning after that since he's also locked himself out of any wincon, but it certainly made it difficult to turn the game around in favour of anyone else as well.

How bad is he in multiplayer games?

He's OK. Best played as Voltron, obviously. He's fun to play headhunter with.

How can other artists even compete

What cheesy things can this girl do
not sure if right thread but i plan on making a un-edh with her

Get yourself kicked out, for starters.

>25 lands

Man I thought I was bad for only have 32

I have a Q for the thread, what's a good group hug deck that isn't the two dudes and isn't the hippo? I don't care if the commander isn't a group hug commander, but more the colours have a lot of that option available

I hate that shit. As a stax player, I have absolute contempt for anyone who sets a hard lock and doesn't have a quick way out of it. It's not difficult, you just need to understand what you're doing when you set it up.

Anyone can pull a humility, solemnity, Isocrhon scepter with silence, then drop winter orb, static orb, and bloodmoon, but if you have nothing to do after that, what's the point?

What about that donate goat?

What do you do?

Yeah, the most lands I've ever seen him have out with that deck is 4, and then if he's lucky some mana rocks. He'll usually land a stax piece or two and then never do anything the rest of the game. Apparently his wincons are Aetherflux and Sanguine Bond, though I've only ever seen him be able to kill one person, ever.
I don't know what goes through the dudes head. Like, the only win I've seen him be able to pull off recently was through outright lying that about himself having to leave so that no one would target him, then comboing off.

>what's a good group hug deck that isn't the two dudes and isn't the hippo?
I've always thought Ludevic + Kydele looked like a fun group hug deck.

Is he thinking that lands aren't important due to stax and leaving them out, relying on blue cantrips, or just being an idiot? Because I've seen the first two work at that low of a count in Hokori, Zo-Zu and both Taigams.

In that situation or in general?

In that situation I'd just play barbed wire. As long as you can produce 4 mana with 2 rocks, you can untap your iscochron and still prevent the damage on your upkeep. People could force you to play it out, but you'd win unless your opponent has some sort of absurd out hidden in their deck.

In general, I usually play a lot of mana rocks and restrict lands, or I play things that draw a lot of cards while your opponent doesn't have any. The most recent stax deck I built is a monoblack discard deck, and the whole premise is to completely fuck everyone's hands, tutor trinisphere and static orb, then smash face with Skittles until I inevitably win because no one has any cards and can only cast exactly one spell each turn, maybe. Things like Shrieking Affliction, Liliana's Caress, and Megrim make sure that I'm pinging people just in case skittles can't stick around, but like any stax deck, if you sequence it wrong you're fucked. If someone bounces skittles while my lock is set up, the game turns to a massive slog, or if I drop trinisphere at the wrong time with winter orb out, suddenly I can't play anything and have to wait until I can remove my own stuff.

I would assume it's the first one, though from the way he talks about how he'd rather just play a low curve so he can put more spells in his deck, you never know.

karona

So if you actually play the banned card.....would you get a game loss?

I usually avoid hard locks like that for that reason specifically. If I play winter orb I want to have master transmuter or icy manipulator or something similar available so that it only affects me. Playing against the hardcore Zur enchantment lock was interesting but it made it so no one could easily win.
In some part, I can relate - I'll play a dank jank deck and still be happy with it even if it's shit, just because I made it myself rather than copying someone in the internet or having other people to tell me what to do. But 25 lands is not nearly enough for an EDH deck, I can't believe he has fun playing like that.
I've not seen these used. Will have a look.

Not if your group isn't dickheads.

>25 lands
Jesus, lowest I'll go is 29, and that's for a deck with an average CMC of 2.

is there anything hipster that horde of notions can do?

This is why I play cards like Seal of Cleansing/Primordium, you just play it early, and it acts like a get out of jail monopoly card.

>I can't believe he has fun playing like that.
He doesn't seem to, unless he hits as stax piece early. Otherwise he tends to complain that we're all outpacing him.
Yeah, I really don't know what goes through his head. The only deck I've seen work with a similar amount of lands is another guys Selvala deck, and that's because his commander is CMC 3 and he's running every dork on the planet.

I gotcha. I guess i prefer tax style decks to full on stax lock where if everyone is pushed back on resources i can build my deck in a way that gets around or can play under the pieces and then win by resource denial.

Generally, that's the better bet, and I appreciate that. I used to play GAAIV for exactly that reason, but I recently went into a really competitive meta with a very strong zur deck that wasn't really affected by tax effects, so I needed to make sure I could slow him down in a meaningful way.

That deck won by tutoring Mana Vortex or Winter Orb, making sure no one could respond, then grabbing RIP/Helm.

A lot of people in my uni group got huge upgrades over the winter break. One guy has brought his super-tuned Zur deck out of retirement to keep up, and has driven off most people from the table as a result. I need your favorite enchantment removal options to remind him why people don't play high-power decks all the time

Side in this card

Honestly, just blow up his lands. Zur requires complicated devotion to cast, so make sure he never has it and you won't have to worry about free stuff shitting out everywhere.

How do I find people to play Commander with /edhg/? People at my LGS only want to play limited and standard. I've played on Xmage but playing with randoms I can't see and who don't talk is kind of depressing, and it's buggy as shit.

Come to my house user. I have no friends and no life.

Also, I selected the wrong reaction image. Hopefully this one is more friendly. My whole reaction images folder is either monsters, robots, or mean faces. I'm sorry user.

Won't really help against Zur since he just gets them for free

>girl
Um... Sweety? I have bad news.

I'm not sure I want to play with someone whose reaction images folder is so negative desu

But is sarcastic and weird really THAT negative?

>dunk on someone T1
>immediately become archenemy
Living the dream

Is a girl Wotc confirmed.

She's based off a female pro player that got picked up during TGDS.

Don't know why they gave the job to the bitch who's been DQ'd from multiple GPs for "mismanaging" life totals and yelling at her opponents while also holding a track record of barely making day 2 in Limited events

Because she is a strong powerful woman for defending herself from those so called "facts" and accusations of cheating, accusing her of those things was like rape, and very toxic from the community as a whole.

Why would you link the wrong printing?

I don't understand how this helps. Zur doesn't cast enchantments, he just puts them into play. I'd run All is Dust, Wave of Vitriol, Bane of Progress, Austere Command, Fracturing Gust, or maybe Hush (at least it cycles if it isn't relevant). Just things that cleanly hit all enchantments, while also having some other utility as well.

Enchantment removal, deck dependent though.

>someone plays/cheats out high cmc enchantment/artfiact
>Destroy it with aura/artifact mutation
>next turn play natural order for craterhoof.

I just upgraded my marath deck with a few tutors, and I am blown away by how consistent the deck is now.

>Realize I have 0 white out of any of my decks
>Check out Mono-White commanders
>Where are all the fun ones?
>Feel like building more Mono-Red instead

Are there actual fun Mono-White commanders? Only thing that interests me is Odric, Lunarch Marshal but a friend already built him.

Darien?

>I just upgraded my marath deck with a few tutors, and I am blown away by how consistent the deck is now.
The difference between EDH and Legacy is that tier lists in other formats are very solidified. A t1 legacy deck is going to stomp the shit out of the a t1 modern deck, and a t1 vintage deck is going to be nigh unbeatable. But in EDH a t1 deck is very beatable because there is an endless variety of tech, you can craft a very specific deck to beat a t1 deck that will lose against most decks. Most competitive metas are incredibly inbred, and the decks are very effective against eachother, but there's no "miracles" or "affinity" deck that's just the be-all-end-all to the format.

This is the beauty of EDH.

>flip up Kalia
>become archenemy T0

Mono white is pretty horrendous Desu. I'd roll with a W/B, G/W, or U/W deck before picking up a mono-white deck.
If you REALLY want to play mono-white, Sram is the only mono-white deck I've seen put up any sort of a fight, as it turns out having a 2 mana draw engine in the command zone can make even mono-white acceptable.

Maybe I'm being too picky but I feel like that is the kind of deck that does the same thing each game. I'm looking for more Timmy stuff. Does white have any Timmy commanders?

Akroma or Zetalpa Voltron, I guess?

Darien is pretty fun. Run all the self damage lands and stuff like armageddon clock along with some life gain from the soul sisters and a couple other cards and you can really pump out some tokens. Its especially goofy if you run stony silence too because then people can't remove counters from armageddon clock. Celestial Kirin makes for a really fun spirit tribal deck as well.

White really doesn't do much timmy stuff. The best you could get is voltron, in which case there's tons of options. White mostly does some combo, control, and wide token stuff. If you want some voltron stuff then Hound is always neat, or Akroma or Zetalpa or even Iona. Maybe Reya if you wanted to do some super janky mono white reanimator with Emeria. You could use weathered wayfarer to help find your land.

Elesh Norn is also pretty timmy.

>thread question
Reverent Silence, Sundering Vitae, or Abolish

Hard Locks, by definition, can't be broken user

Monowhite is fucking trash. It can't do anything interesting that a colorless deck couldn't do. You play white for Swords and Path to Exile and maybe a couple other utility/combo pieces.

If the core of your deck is white, your deck is boring trash.

There are a tiny number of white generals that let your deck function like a normal deck and the rest are worthless.

Yay to slavery

Debt to the Deathless is better than Exsanguinate, nigger

Other than the fact that monowhite has all the best stax pieces, and all the best removal, and MLD that doesn't completely fuck your entire board AND cheap wraths.

What about monored though?

I hope you aren't planning on talking shit about monored. That's a bannable offense around these parts. I believe every single regular poster has at least one monored deck, myself included. Monored is fun I tell you. FUN.

Monored can do everything, just inconsistently. Card draw, board wipes, tons of mana, wheels, massive global damage. It just has no tutoring or consistency.

It also has good stax pieces and can fuck around with artifacts pretty well.

I don't have a mono red deck. I do have three mono white decks though.

>Card draw
?

Wanderer is pretty easy to build desu. Just run MLD and make your opponents hate you.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wildfire-wanderer/

Does a toshiro umezawa deck with lots of removal work?

One thing is I know, is without lots of removal it doesn't

Avacyn with angels. Run prison cards and wraths and slam big angels. Monowhite is bad yes but its a casual format, and it can definitely win. The cat king is also cool as a commander if you want a more "go wide" strategy.

If you seriously want a deck that does something different each game, you can't pick monowhite. Pick literally any other color combination but monowhite. It's boring as fuck even when it works.

>Its boring as fuck even when it works
*Laughs in Land Tax*

>What are your favorite ways to break a stax lock?
Playing a lot of lands

Lol I put that in the resources like 5 gens ago and you are the first person to notice

>implying you're getting to 5 mana against hard stax