MTG Modern General

SCG Philadelphia Open Edition. Anyone going? If so, what are your teammates running?

>playing
>hating
>brewing

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Previously on Modern General

I did it boys.

Be weary of the NEET turned wagecuck
they were out of muddles :(((

Wary*

Blue Staff?

you're right, mb
I guess they could be weary too since it's combo

B L U E S T A F F

What does that even do? Do you just loop infinite mana off of Dramatic Reversal imprinted on a Scepter and BSZ them for their deck? How consistent is it?

exacly that, you sphinx rev them for 15 gorillion
it's a multi-piece combo deck so lack of redundancy is going to happen. It is fun though. Sometimes your pieces line up in dope ways, like having an abundance of rocks and casting blue suns, or using extra dramatic reversals as rituals

If storm is tier 1 and ad naus is tier 2 it would be a rung lower if that means anything, it's a fun meme though if you don't mind getting wrecked postboard

Mono green stompy or T&N?

Whichever one you enjoy playing more.

I've never played either of them (my only deck is burn) but they both look fun af. Playing big dudes on curve and aspect of hydra seem dope, but so does ramping into xenagod and a fatty and smacking someone for the game.

Proxy them up on xmage or tappedout or w/e and see what you think. Neither of them are really competitive so it just comes down to what you prefer.

Fair enough, will do.
Is blood sun a decent budget option while I work my way up to buying a playset of blood moon?

Blood Sun is fine as long as you recognize how different it is. It does nothing in some matchups where you would really want Blood Moon.

No, it isn't good against the same decks and isn't trying to accomplish the same thing.

>Those Unstable Full Arts

I'm so tempted to buy those but I have my massive stock of Zendikar full arts as it is.

>Bought about $230 worth of cards a few days ago
>Dozens of tiny orders from several vendors
>Get an email today notifying that I got $5.18 refunded
>Message from a small vendor saying that they were out of stock of my order
>They didn't say what they were out of stock of
>They didn't link to the order
>I need to determine what I didn't receive
>But I already shredded all the invoices and sleeved the cards I received

Email them and ask?

If you bought them online on like TCGPlayer or something, you should be able to match up the name of the vendor to the cards you ordered from them. That cuts it down.

Tooth.

Stompy is bad.

yo, i'm the one with the tooth and nail deck from the last thread. i don't have an opinion as to what deck you should play, but now that i'm home i can share my list with you (it's a lot of fun). feedback welcome.

>turn 1

forest, arbor elf

>turn 2

forest 2, cast utopia sprawl on forest 1. tap forest 1 then untap with arbor elf (4 mana total). cast Garruk Wildspeaker. +1 garruk, untapping both lands. cast overgrowth on forest 1. forest 1 now taps for 4 mana.

>turn 3

forest 3, tap all (6 total mana), tap arbor elf to untap forest 1. tap for 4 more (10 mana total). +1 garruk to untap forests 1 and 2. tap both (15 mana total). cast emrakul from hand. this requires a pretty specific opening hand as well as your opponent not interacting, but it can be done.

anyway, rate my deck and tell me how much it sucks and what should change and all that...

list seems fine imho. quite dope.
the 2 satyr with 4 overgrowth 4 sprawl 1 grounds seems sweet. I'm a 4 birds guy but drawing overgrowth effects midgame seems so much better.
I've seen Nissa Worldwaker in some lists, would squeeze in one because she's fucking dope (maybe cutting a primal, but only because she's dope and for no other raisin)
Sweet deck

What is the most consistent deck in modern? Not necessarily the highest win rate or anything, but the least susceptible to "fuck you have 10 lands" and other such sticks in the eye.

Cantrip-heavy decks like Grixis Death's Shadow.

the 2 birds are to help jump from 1 to 3 (turn 2 overgrowth really gets things going and if i drop a blood moon that early then i usually dont have to rush). i'm going to try cutting a Garruk to squeeze in Nissa and see how it goes. that way i get to keep the 3 Primals and am less likely to end up with multiple Garruks in hand.

thanks for the tip, my dude

honestly it might even be wrong, your list seems pretty clean and garruk is a beast
i just like funofs

Probably one of these each thread but I'm curious. Me and a friend want to get into modern because a third friend has been praising it, problem is we don't have a lot of money.
Are budget decks even fun?
How viable is it to brew your own?
Are timmys allowed in Modern?

I saw that Abzan Rites video from MTGGF and it seemed fun, are budget modern decks my only hope?

>Are budget decks even fun?
Sure, if you play with other budget decks or don't mind losing a lot.
>How viable is it to brew your own?
Not very. What most people come up with tends to just be a worse version of something that already exists.
>Are timmys allowed in Modern?
Sure. Big mana decks obviously attract Timmy, but there are also combo decks where the result is a big fatty.

Budget decks are fine-ish. You won't be winning FNM with them but if they're just a stop on your way to a better (and you recognize your win rate will improve with a better deck) then they're alright.

Brewing depends, do you have an intimate knowledge of the cards that work in modern, how to construct a deck the right way, why certain decks are good and others aren't, and of the specific meta you will be participating in? Then sure you could brew up a rogue deck (that probably won't be too cheap) and blindside everyone with a wacky combo that shits on the field. If you're going to make xd vampir tribl featuring 6 mana ixalan bomb and 20 basic lands: No.

Modern has arguably the most timmy deck in magic, Tron variants. Literally all you do is assemble the three tron lands then play a big dumb fatty (from the list of approved fatties like Wurmcoil, Numrakul, and Karn) every turn.

If you're looking for a pretty timmy budget-y deck I'd suggest proxy-ing a Green Devotion build. It's a deck based around fast mana with untapping enchanted lands and Nykthos to play a Craterhoof Behemoth onto a board of mana dorks and swing for 164 trample damage.

Play Pauper if you can't drop $300-500 on Modern. You don't need a $750-1000 deck to do good in Modern, but you definitely need more than the $30-100 most idiots keep asking about.

What do you recommend for a Timmy deck? Is Etali too Timmy? He seems good in commander but I'm not so sure in Modern.

I'd be playing strictly kitchen table magic I think. If my friend was looking for a good budget deck and he doesn't know enough to make his own, what might I point him towards? He can spend around $100 and all he said was Red and Control.

Is he asking too much with those parameters?

If you're literally just going to play kitchen table then forget formats, just make whatever crazy decks you want and play them against each other

Like the other guy said, Tron makes for a good Timmy deck. If you like more traditional ramp, then R/G Valakut decks are for you.

>but you definitely need more than the $30-100 most idiots keep asking about
>He can spend around $100

Called it.

Good cards easily cost $10, most cost $20, some cost $30, 60, even fucking $100 each. You need 4 of them. Most decks have more than 4 good cards. You do the fucking math.

You don't need to be in the Modern format if all you plan to do is kitchen table magic. Just play the cards you like.
Modern is a competitive format where people spend a lot of money trying to build the best deck.

Pfft, Ornithopter is awesome and costs like a quarter.

>not running Masterpiece Ornithopters

[laughs in billionaire]

Pimping out Affinity really is pretty outrageous, with all the masterpieces and judge promos there are.

Appreciate all the advice this has really helped

Grand Prix Lyon is in 2 weeks, and I can't afford Lilianas. Is there anyone here who's going who could lend me a playset?

>red
>control
If Moon and Snow Basics weren't so expensive I'd say Skred is perfect.

If I ordered a card two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, I'm not getting it am I?

It's a HP fetch I found off tcgplayer and idk what to do

Might depend on where you live. Once had one take a month. Don't you have the mail tracker?

They shipped a 30 dollar fetch in a regular envelope without tracking I think. If it takes a fucking month I'm going to be pissed. I live near a major city so I doubt it's going to show up at all if it hasn't by now.

What's going on in this picture? It looks pretty.

Has anyone played Hardened Scales in Affinity?

I was thinking of putting some in and like, 2 CoCos

please help me

>not working at the post office and screening for dope cards

Reminder: It's only a felony if you get caught.

Show up and steal someone's.

user please, I don't want to steal shit.

Coco is a no go because of how much it costs to cast on top of being in green, scales you could try replacing a galvanic blast or thoughtcast with and see how you fare. Imo i would say try it and post results. Personaly i think it’s too slow and doesnt force damage like blast or draw you into gas with thoughtcast and on top of that it isnt an artifact.

he said Hardened scales not Coco

oh nmv

How much Death's Shadow am I going to see at a GP?

lots

I will say that there are budget affinity decks running tempered steel but if i was going to run heavy on a color i would need more payoff than hardened scales. Such as tempered steel running dispatch.

Like 50% meta or like 30%?

You'll see more of people playing their pet tier deck than at something like a standard tournament, but there's still going to be a lot of death's shadow I'm sure.

Oh well. Probably going to hit up them by next week if it hasn't arrived yet for a refund.

>people unironically think ad nauseam takes no skill
>people think that combo doesnt take skill
Why is this meme still around?

That's great. I hear the big decks are going to be Shadow, Storm, and Tron, and Tron is the only one I have trouble beating.

I was thinking 3 hardened scales and 2 coco actually, since affinity loses by running out of gas and coco can draw into a full board state pretty easily

If you don't know what you're missing, are actually missing it?

That sounds about right, from my, admittedly very limited, experience I'd plan for those three to be the majority of the field, at least the majority of what you can predict.

For 8 rack without Liliana, is it better to replace her with Necrogen Mists or more discard? I just played a tournament with Mists and they were dead in almost every game, so I was thinking of just adding Funeral Charms or Surgical Extractions.

Mists just looks terrible. Charm is probably the best card you could fill in the Lili slot (but you can't replace Lili etc etc). Makes them toss one or you can snipe a Bob or Clique or something.

Plus as a rack player, I'm sure you love literally torturing your opponents and there's no better way to do that than draw-step discard.

Yeah. I think I'll cut Mists for 2 more Fun Charms and maybe a pair of Surgical Extractions.

>maindeck Surgical
Fucking do it. Just imagine Tron players' faces when you pull that shit game one, bonus points if they discarded a duplicate land turn one. Run Ghost Quarters too for maximum butthurt.

Depends on the particular area, but overall Death's Shadow is ~6% of the meta.

Hardened Scales is a win-more card. If you're untapping with Overseer you're already in a good position.
You don't want CoCo. It costs 4 mana, our average CMC is around 1.5, and we have a bunch of noncreature spells that can result in a whiff. Play Thoughtcast or Glint-Nest Crane instead.

It's Mox Opal. It is pretty.

I was thinking of the interaction with Arcbound Ravager and Hangerback Walker actually

Hangerback Walker is too slow.

Have you tried crane yet? I saw cheons videos on youtube but wasnt sure how much i liked it over thoughtcast. I guess it gives you another evasive creature to wear a plating but do you really want to put more non artifacts in the deck?

I have tried it. Overall I prefer Thoughtcast, but Crane is a viable option if your meta has a lot of grindy midrange / lingering souls.

There's a reason it doesn't see any play. It's slower and more inconsistent than regular Affinity, but it is more powerful on average when it works. The thing is, you don't need that much power to win. A 10/X Ornithopter or Inkmoth wins just as well, faster, and more consistently. Why fuck around trying to make an army of 6/6s? I can only assume you can't afford Mox Opal and are trying to justify shitty jank builds.

I'm going to Le Mans next season, could you lend me your car? :^)

Is it worth it to splash white in 8rack for enchantment removal? Deck seems fun but the thought of just auto scooping to a t0 leyline hurts

>Dusting off my old deck from 2 years ago that was fun
>Realize pic related is a card

Fuck this card
t. Infect player

ayy, also Probe is banned.

[laughs in hexproof]

If people arent leylining you(which they mostly arent in my meta atleast, you can run ratchet bomb

>$300
>spending the whole day in the same room
I even have collateral.

In what world are 300 bucks something you lend to a stranger?

Just you wait in until I get enough mana for supreme verdict you little shit!

Totem armor my man

Edicts. Lots of edicts.

[laughs in sacrifice]

Why is new Liliana artwork so much worse?

Is it not the same?

You're kidding right?
Argyle is all CG shit.

No.

Infect was playable without probe. But adding push to the list against you really hurts.

>team hatkid making babbys first tax shelter

?

You having a stroke senpai?

rachel otto is v pretty

A stranger who's in the same room?

How is a 7-drop Walker this shit?

Intro pack

Its from a precon deck, it's a shame it sux so much

The non-precon version is actually quite dope