/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Nippon edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/filegroup/oCI6b7g8cK2ZVrFvcXd9FQ8TWFpFR2MOb9xjUMg12xM
mediafire.com/#jxtje4r88l769
grognardia.blogspot.co.nz/2009/12/1972-gygax-article.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Beyond the gates of antares is getting a rogue drone faction? Fuck yeah. Wonder what happened to the centurion like vorl though.

>Centurion

I meant centaur. Fucking phoneposting.

Is anyone picking up some stuff in the warlord sprue sale? I think about getting a few pike and shotte sprues and make sone witchhunters. The saxon fyrd weapons sprue also looks interesting. I'm a little bummed that there are no warmachines this time.

What are some good nippon samurai games? I heard of Bushido, from GCT, and maybe Kensei.

Last thread had some posts about Test of Honour before it died. Seems like it could be alright.

>Wonder what happened to the centurion like vorl though.
they were meant to be in the supplement after the next one I think.
The next one should be the one with rules for the headhunter alien guy the recently released I think.

I bought it and played a demo game a few times. The plastics aren't particularly great, but I won't begrudge the cost of the starter box set for them. Possibly good for getting someone into gaming, as long as they don't froth about it being fuckin weebs

But how was the game? Also are the heads good/big enough to use as conversion in 40K?

I'm waiting for a 50% off sale.

I thought about maybe getting some of the WGF orcs.
Might go well with the oathmark goblins.

I kind of wish I could get sprues from Gripping Beast though.

Warzone demo-cunt here.

Day 2 of Cancon is over, one more to go and things have been alright so far, been managing about 3 demos a day thus far with people stopping by to talk and see what this shit's all about. the retailer I've partnered with has said that they've been seeing a good spike in rulebook purchases for warzone, so that's pretty good news. Hoping that some more locals take an interest and buy into the game and join the scene, that's what this whole endevour has been about, growing the local scene.

I'll have some pictures to dump tomorrow evening once I get home, wondering if I should block out my stupid face first though. Already thinking of what I'll run there next year, maybe a proper participation game rather than basic demos, who knows.

Not the guy you're replying to, but the game is fairly lackluster. It's definitely an intro wargame.

As for the plastics, they're true 1/56 and thus way too small for 40k.

Good work on building the Warzone scene buddy, nice your demos have fed into sales your trader! Seems it's back to fans doing all the work again

It always was, even back in the day for Target, it was their street team that did the heavy lifting and as such the tradition lives on. The Mutant Chronicles IP deserves so much better than what it has gotten all these years, we have, currently, the best iteration of miniatures and an fantastically solid ruleset for warzone, but the company behind it is a mess. I hope that Cabinet is more selective with the license for Warzone in the future or that Prodos massively unfucks itself(maybe a few key individuals should "move on to better things" already...)

Game is alright.
>Bag of tokens activation system, divided between commoners and samurai, plus three event tokens
>Rolls use a dice pool mechanic, aiming to get 3 successes on however many dice (4+ success, 6 is 2 successes, 1 cancels a success)
>Crits and fumbles
>Attacking someone forced them to spend an activation to dodge

That’s about all that I can remember that seems worth mentioning. I reckon the heads could probably work for heroics, but I haven’t compared.

Does anyone have a good supply for 28mm Ogres? I'm not very fond of the hyperstatic GW ones and the legday skippers of Mantic.

>this again.

the latest offerings are Kensei, Test of Honor, Ronin, and Bushido. Pike and Shot/Kings of War have allowance for Sam-on-Rye factions.

however, Killer Katanas and Clan War are old sets with value. 2nd ed was great for both.
Clan war was poorly executed, but the core mechanics are great. it needs adaption to be Sengoku, since it's technically a fantasy game.

Killer Katanas is full on Sengoku.

i don't know of good rules sets that do Gempei or Mongol Invasions well: WHAB had Mongols and Samurai, much like KoW Historicals has eastern-faction options.

Titanforge for pirates?

Damn it, /awg/, don't just fucking die already. What're you cunts working on or looking forward to seeing released this year?

>Working on or looking forward to things

I'm working on a fantasy skirmish game system that should be adaptable for any miniatures in one's collection, although I've put that project in hiatus to prioritize an RPG I'm writing for my group.
Aside from that, I've been painting my Titanite Demon from the Dark Souls boardgame, I'm sculpting a big bad beast right now, and I'm impatiently waiting for a lot of Reaper miniatures I've ordered a couple weeks ago.
I've also done some scenery for wargaming and some for RPGing.

I'm in a weird spot for gaming. I live in hotels for work, and the most I can bring with me gaming wise is what I can stick in a carry on bag for airports. I don't have enough space to carry a large foot print army, like 40k or warmachine, but it's hard to find people who play small footprint games, like arena rex, malifaux, guildball, helldorado, etc etc.

Im watching a stream of people playing 40k right now, and it kind of makes me want to get back into it. Haven't played since the beginning of 6th. Warmachine is dead to me.

I'm not staying in an area long enough to build a community, so I'm kind of at an impasse here. Also one issue is besides the problem of carrying larger models, if I carry a large footprint army, that less variety I can bring to a shop in case I find a pocket of /awg/ bros.

I could sit at a table with a "X Demo LFP" sign, but that just sounds kind of depressing.

So yeah.

There's that one guy that 2mm and 6mm armies + scenery into these tiny playing card cans. I'm not sure if that's going to be a lot of help to you finding players, though. It's heavily dependant on where you travel. Some countries, you are going to find Malifaux, Infinity and Blood Bowl blokes no problem if you do some research beforehand. Other countries you are pretty much stuck with 40k.
I heard historicals also have a strong presence in many countries, question is if you can find their clubs beforehand.

A word of warning, small footprint, read elite armies are really really bad right now in 40k and this won't change until 9th Edition. Maybe the upcoming Custodes are good, maybe the eventual Space Wolves book will give us the return of the Wolfwing, until then mass is strength, coupled with many armies relying on at least one humongous, impossible to transport megamodel.

I'm stuck in limbo for a few more days. Then I'll
>Paint up a few 15mm dudes for ASoBaH
>Try to build a WHFB Army in 15mm out of curiosity
>Convert a few dudes into LotR 28mm stuff
>Build an entire range of test models to determine what kind of bigger project I want to do next

For that matter, does anyone have a suggestion for the 15mm fantasy army? I'm considering cloning my old Empire list, so I'd need a lot of renaissance stuff in that scale, but I'd also open for other suggestions.

>Want to try out a billion games
>None of my friends want to just want to stick with one

Fucking kill me.

Slacker back Joan of Arc maybe?

>What're you cunts working on or looking forward to seeing released this year?
Well, I gave up on Palladium actually releasing any more models for Robotech Tactics, so I'm sculpting up several of the things I wanted and building skills towards making some of my own original work.

Other than that? Little Crimson Skies here, a couple fantasy and post-apoc warbands there. Maybe some more Battletech depending on how the new playgroup I'm building does. And getting into SW Armada.

I'm all in on it, but I'm not gonna see it until winter anyway, sadly. Khurasan seems to have some nice dudes tho.

The Demonworld range from Ral Partha is pretty extensive. Also Alternative Armies and Magister Militum have a lot of 15mm fantasy stuff.

Bushido, Test of Honor, Kensei and Torii (also made by Zenit) are my suggestions. There's Robin, but I wasn't too impressed by it.

In fact Kensei is getting two new factions Kickstarter nezt month: pirates and fucking Conquistadors. The models they've shown off look like they're up the Zenit's usual standard.

I'm looking forward to plastic Peace River for Heavy Gear and finally starting to play BMG.

I'm sure other things will pop up that might catch my eye.

And while not strictly /awg/ I'm excited to get my Siege of the Citadel stuff.

i hope to do something this year, but it'll likely involve getting my ass back into line, not more games....

I hear that.

I keep thinking I should start a new game this year. Maybe Dark Age, or Bushido or Godslayer but then I'm like "I still have to paint the rest of my MERCS, paint my KoW, I've got BMG stuff on the way, Flames of War and Heavy Gear which all need paint still" and my heart weeps a little.

>Finally bother to get around ordering from Brother Vinni for some sweet, sweet Fallout models
>Find out he dropped a lot of his selection around two weeks ago

ah fug
And I was looking at them for months now too.

Shit.

What a cutie, what game is that and how it plays?

Gaddangit. I was going to get a load of robots. There’s still a few, but not enough.
Does anyone make a good Mr Gutsy style one?

Are there any campaign rules for Dark Age (2017 version)?

I found some from 2015 for an older version, but it references rules that don't exist anymore, as far as I can tell (for example, Hatred).

So any Kings of war anons on? Any news on what's in store for 2018?

Well, Vanguard's going to release and I'm expecting some of it to trickle back.

Eager for a clash of kings 2018 scan.

The new minis look pretty good.

Mostly the Other Side kickstarter and the ASOIAF Kickstarter.

The fallout tabletop game?

Someone just posted Five Parsecs from Home 2e in the PDF Share thread, for anyone interested. It's the latest update, although there's a 1.03 coming in a month or so with (probably) some minor tweaks and bugfixes, and some notes on playing it competitively.

It's a pretty great game.

Forgot the link because I'm an idiot.

sendspace.com/filegroup/oCI6b7g8cK2ZVrFvcXd9FQ8TWFpFR2MOb9xjUMg12xM

There's also Round of Fire, some new skirmish modern thing what uses a countdown clock thing for scheduling actions.

I don't know of any campaign system in the 2017 rules. Might be one of those things they tried and found didn't work so great.

Clash of Kings 2018 just came out with new units for, I think, every army.

Then there's also Vangaurd coming out.

Mantic has said their main focus this year will be Deadzone (new book and faction) and Dreadball (2nd edition).

>get Basilean panther chariot
>it's a horrible experience putting it together
This is an older kit right? It's not the norm I can expect buying more kings of war is it?

Most of the KoW line is from the earliest days of Mantic.

They already said that all new units in Vanguard will have rules in Kings of War proper. That includes among other things equivalents for some WHFB models like Gnoblar Trappers, Dire Wolves, Soul Grinders, and Batswarms. You also have a bunch of other options like Abyssal Warlocks, two new variety of Succubi, Ogre Palace Guards, and an entire new faction Northern Alliance.

And of course Clash of Kings 2018 did just come out, and is probably the most extensive CoK they have put out so far. It adds a lot more fun stuff on top of 2017, and improves the balance. I am now tempted to make an entire army of Halflings so I can use Missed Second Breakfast.

The Confrontation Kickstarter and The Other Side to be finally delivered.

>and is probably the most extensive CoK they have put out so far
>this is the second one

Ok.

Also, I was thinking of picking up Vanguard in the pledge manager, but think I'll go with dding more stuff to my Reaper Bones pledge, then pick up Vanguard when it's out.

The Giant Pledge is a really good deal IMO. Getting the rulebook for a discount probably isn't a bad idea either.

I wouldn't play it for years after I get it anyways, so I'll wait for a bundle or a sale. The figure concept look nice, but I had my fair share of disappointments with the first KoW KS in this department, so I'd rather wait.

Also, just had Reaper's Warlord 1st ed delivered with custom statting and an intriguing campaign, that I want to play instead.

Source on that model?

They actually make the miniatures match the renders these days though. You can look at the Warpath renders vs. the final product as an example. Not trying to make their minis in China anymore helps.

Instead of low grade Mantic or Reaper figures you should wait for the Confrontation Classic Kickstarter which should be just around the corner. I honestly don't know why anyone who isn't broke would buy Mantic of Reaper figures when there are so many better options available. It is especially easy if you are playing a generic fantasy skirmish game like Vanguard where you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for a full army regardless.

If I wouldn't find half the Confrontation models butt ugly, and they wouldn be 35mm or so tall, maybe.

Till then, fuck off, I'll buy whatever I want. You can shove up your arrogant elitist bullshit into your ass.

By today's standard Confrontation figures are more or less in scale with 28mm. Confrontation is just one option of course, there are dozens of manufacturers of 28mm fantasy miniatures which honestly do a better job than Reaper or Mantic. It's a wasted opportunity to not look around at least.

That's funny - I have some of them, and they are two heads taller than "today's" fantasy figures.

Also, still fuck you.

I don't get the acrimony,. I am just pointing out that neither of those companies are the best option these days. Even if you aren't a fan of skeevy French designs you can look at Red Box miniatures for a characterful warband, or maybe Stonehaven for something more high fantasy . Mantic and Reaper are just bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality. Even Privateer Press at least does original designs. If you were trying to make a huge army where you need perhaps over a hundred figures I could get the necessity. But for a skirmish warband I just don't see why you would dump $150 into a Reaper pledge when you only need about a dozen figures.

"Oh I'm so better than you, why would anyone ever consider buying Mantic or Reaper miniatures?"

Let them eat fucking cake.

It looks like the mech thingy that Princess Malya rides in Relic Knights. My one is painted up an obnoxious shade of purple.

I never said that I don't really see what the issue is, especially if you are getting figures for a twelve person warband for Vanguard or what have you. It would easily cost less than a Reaper Bones core pledge to just get twelve guys from another manufacturer. I just think that it is a wasted opportunity.

Because I cannot enjoy painting those figures.

Because I cannot play other games involving more figures.

Because I cannot give away some of the figures I don't need or trade them for something else.

Truly, absolutely incomprehensible. The only issue here is that you are a cunt.

I never said any of that. It might be best to calm down and read over what has been written again.

>I honestly don't know why

Ta-da. Asked for reasons, got reason.

If you were going for quantity over quality then you should have said so at the start. For most skirmish game the opposite is ideal. But for big army games ala Kings of War then it makes more sense.

>I honestly don't know why anyone who isn't broke would buy Mantic of Reaper figures
Perhaps they like the designs, or the aesthetic? Despite the weedy cartoon legs I quite like the core design of Mantic's Ogres, and have yet to find another line of Ogres which have really stood out to me.

Also from all your comments you really sound like you have some sort personal vendetta against Mantic and Reaper. Why push the whole "look at all these other companies!" thing so hard? The guy wants to invest in a Repaer Bones pledge? Great, he has his reasons and that's that. No need to keep trying to convince him he's wrong just because you don't like Reaper.

Anyone has tried Cav from reaper? I like some of them, but I want them for a 15mm army, do the mechs look good for that scale infantry/vehicles?

"but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me"

Yes, I continue to paint Pantheon. The 54mm gods are, frankly, ace.

Neat, although the gold looks a bit flat.

Might just be the lighting though.

That gives me an idea.
I should probably look to 54mm in the future when I need some sort of giant, goliath, or other bigass thing.

Does somebody know of where I can get infantry models with a pistol in each hand? The free company from GW has too few pistols, pike and shotte from Warlord is the same.

I want to, but I have yet to put aside the money to invest in it.

I think at 15mm the mechs may be a bit small. I think they're roughly scaled for 6mm. Could be wrong, though.

Looks good! How is that game, by the way?

Nothing I can think of outside sci-fi or cowboys.

Another ruleset from Osprey

What is this going to add ruleswise to make it anything other than generic fantasy skirmish? I mean what makes a badger knight distinctly a badger? TB?

Are there minis?

Anyone got the Warmaster rules?

mediafire.com/#jxtje4r88l769

/hwg/ has Warmaster Ancients in their mediafire. I have a ton of Warmaster scans around here somewhere if you are looking for something specific (though I have never really uploaded anything)

I think it's 10-12mm, not 6.

Reading Endless Fantasy Tactics, and sitting my nephews this weekend. There's a lot I like in EFT, and while playing with their Minecraft figures I started thinking about a simple Tactics style Minecraft wargame.

My only concern, Minecraft Steve is not an army unto himself, so I'm wondering if it should just be an asymmetrical game, or if Steve should just be a type of unit the benefits from equipment, while others have preset abilities.

Plenty of ebay shops selling single GB sprues, if thats what you meant

I imagine different species will have different rules and such.

Makes me miss Brushfire. Napoleonic style warfare with various critters including Otter Ashigaru? Yes please.

Ah, then I stand corrected.

God damn I loved EFT.

Maybe make like a dungeon crawler where the players can craft items and shit?

>Anyone has tried Cav from reaper? I like some of them, but I want them for a 15mm army, do the mechs look good for that scale infantry/vehicles?
I have a few, notably the Cougar and the Thunderbird (which is a fucking BEAST) - it's the bare-metal one in the pic.

>I think they're roughly scaled for 6mm. Could be wrong, though.
Y'are, they're ~10mm (in general). Some of the designs by Chris Lewis were originally BattleTech proxies (Tiamat = Yeoman, Simba=Goliath, &cetera), but they were scaled up for the Bones KS. Most of the CAV infantry is a bit pants, though.

Also, you can get Mechwarrior:DA minis for cheap as fuck, though the scale is often dodgy. Infantry are great for the price at 10mm, though.

Image: Front row - Battletech plastic Atlas, 10mm MWDA infantry, Matchbox 1:144 super-dumper.
Rear: MWDA Nova Cat, CAV Thunderbird, MWDA Marauder II.

How is CAV as a game? I keep looking for a decent mech game but I always end up falling out with them. Battletech has awful minis and Horizon Wars has odd rules. I picked up heavy Gear and that didn't click with me either.

There is a fair bit of edge highlighting and washing on it, but under artificial.light it doesn't really show sadly.

The dice mechanic is nice, the card-based activation works well but I'd personally prefer free movement rather than grid based. That said I enjoy it a lot and it's a nice midway point between board and war gaming.

So I'm on the phone with Kevin Siembieda eifht now, out of nowhere, and it's so damn tempting to ask where Wave two of Robotech RPG Tactics is at.

Although it's an iconic scene from a beloved book from my childhood I never realised that I wanted to wargame the storming of Toad Hall by Badger, Rat, Toad and Mole

Are you using the artbook?
All the fuckin variaty is ace though.

Hey, /awg, I'm looking to develop a wargame in the near future, but I want to do a survey to see if there's anything similar to what I want to do out there. That being said - are there any games that do semi-realistic Combined Arms (namely Armor and Infantry) really well?

"getting EXCITING QUOTES from SEVERAL MANUFACTURERS while it gets BIGGER AND BIGGER"
>K Sem, referring to what I hope is not his penis.

>How is CAV as a game?
Fair warning: I've only played a demo game and some solitaire, I prefer Alpha Strike, HG, or a RRPGT hack for my low-end mech gaming.

For the main rules and mechanics, they just adapted the in-house system they use for Warlord. The core mechanic is very similar to Alpha Strike. It uses 2D6 roll-over mechanics (instead of roll-under), along with some contested rolls and D10s for scatter. The damage and weapon tracking is basically identical to HeroClix/Mage Knight, you just use a card instead of fucking with a dial (and consequently picking the model up constantly)
Electronic warfare and fire support are almost identical mechanically to HG but explained much, much better. Activation system is the usual 2 actions, only one can be shooting thing that everyone from Frostgrave to your mum is using. Cover is pretty basic.

Fistful of TOWs is pretty good IME. Check out the historicals for plunder material.

Reminder that Gygax used to use all sorts of scales for his fantasy wargames - 54mm, 40mm, 10mm.

If you're into 28mm, the Airfix 1/72 Robin Hood set is a traditional and charming way of doing hobbits/halflings. Also super-cheap, because 1/72 plastics.

The artbook painting guides, with their five pages of recommended paints, are way too advanced for me. I'm trying for similar colours even if I don't use the exact methods.

>If you're into 28mm, the Airfix 1/72 Robin Hood set is a traditional and charming way of doing hobbits/halflings. Also super-cheap, because 1/72 plastics.
That's brilliant.

grognardia.blogspot.co.nz/2009/12/1972-gygax-article.html

He used them against 40mm regular figures, but ehh, for modern players and modern conception of hobbit-size, they're about perfect against your 28mm stuff.

Paint conversions can do a lot, and a little actual converting can do a lot more.

>Warzone demo-cunt here.
>The Mutant Chronicles IP deserves so much
Top cunt, MC is a cool universe.
I only have a couple of models from their lines, but I own a couple of the novels too, and it's a good setting.

If a few key individuals from Prodos move on to a hole in the ground, maybe a cell, then there could be a bright future for the game.

Yeah, even I'm starting to worry about how they're handling it and I was pretty firmly on their side for a while.

I would love to see aome MC novels come out. I keep hinting to my contacts inside Prodos that I'd love to write some for them. Got some ideas I would love to put to paper.

Hello, newfag here. Could somebody please recommend me a generic wargame for fantasy and a generic wargame for sci-fi settings? What I want is a non-skirmish-scale system that is not too abstract, but also not ASL-tier, and with a possibility of custom content creation. I have no chance of playing a wargame IRL, so my only option is TTS. Model or hex-and-chit - does not matter.
For fantasy I've been hearing good things about Kings of War. But is it good for custom content?
As for sci-fi, I have taken a look at SpaceMaster Armored Assault, and while it feels good, it seems that dozens of CRTs would slow down the game. But I haven't tried it, so I cannot say it from experience, I might be wrong.

>non-skirmish-scale system
>for TTS
uhhhhhhhhhh