One Piece RPG thread?

One Piece RPG thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE
discord.gg/x4jggD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>i want to play an unknown immortal pirate that used to rival whitebeard and gol.d roger.
>i retired but now that blackbeard killed whitebeard I comeback and try to have an actual challenge.
>also I'm an anthropomorphic animal fox.
>my devil fruit is called strong strong.

I might actually allow that. More interesting then the endless fishmen OCs

How are fishmen worse than furries? They're both bad. Especially with furries having special powers like Carrot.
Are you telling me I should be a writer?

Oh I missed the Fox part. Seems like a disproportionate amount of players want to make characters that arent human, like it was Forgotten Realms.

considering how big and weird humans can be in one piece i dont see the point

There's no goddamn reason for this character to be an anthro fox, though.

The entire character is absurd. He is immortal.
How does someone that powerful stay unknown? He rivaled the strongest people in the setting.
Yet all you care about is the fox detail.

He could be a minx which can be any number of animals. As for the immortality technically the Op-Op fruit has a special ability where the devil fruit user can exchange their life to perform a surgery on someone that effectively grants them immortality.

It's the running theory for why Chopper's teacher is the way she is.

Let's discuss something not terrible.

What is a good aspiration or structure for a campaign.

One Piece's structure lends itself really well to long-form storytelling, really. Super Eyepatch Wolf did a video that touched on this, but the sort of encapsulated adventure narrative where each new island is its own thing and doesn't necessarily need a larger plot to tie into it but can works incredibly well. So you can have all these fun adventures, with or without an exhaustive big bad on the horizion, but with each area's big bad being their own fun threat.

So more episodic than anything? I'll give that a try in my game then. It doesn't help that my players are still figuring out their character motivations.

(same user, realized something) Additionally, even if one adventure sucks, guess what? You can just leave and go to a new area with different things happening! it's the best of being able to commit long form to something while being versatile in what you are able to encounter.

Yeah episodic would be a good way to refer to it. It may help you to do small like, two or three session long mini-arcs to help one to two players specifically at a time to help them flesh out their characters more.

The video I mentioned, btw

youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE

>Used to run a One Piece RP
>Players kept trying to have god tier Haki
>Someone would always try to app a Mizu Mizu fruit.
>One nigga made 'Dark Haki', never explained what the fuck it is.
>Also said his character had powers thanks to the Black Star program, never mentioned what that was either.

I am skeptical that any system could accurately capture the feeling of the setting without falling into pitfalls such as the "nuh uh, fuck you" that permeates free form role playing and the "nuh uh, the rules say you can't do THAT" of more structured systems.

Sounds like an antagonist from one of the movies.

I made a discord for people trying to start or join One Piece rpgs. Here's a link. discord.gg/x4jggD4

Tell us a good character concept.

I remember in ye olden forum RP days, I rolled a lackadaisical pirate that ate the (Mind you, poorly named) Leo-Leo fruit, which gave him the ability to switch between strength (lion) speed (cheetah) or stealth (panther) modes. His later advancement involved use of a rumble-ball esque pill called a Hyper Ball, which enhanced these attributes to a significant degree.

That being said, if I were to do it again I'd definitely have to readdress the naming scheme, reconsider the actual power structure, and you know make the character not shit.

That's the trouble you will ALWAYS run into tabletops. Unless you're looking for A: Rulescrunch the system or B: Introduce a few random modifiers to group storytelling, you're going to have varying levels of success with what you're trying to do.

At the end of the day, it's important to recognize the goals of your group as a whole. Is it to have an adventure and explore an interesting world? Many systems can accomplish this pretty well but ruleslite systems work better on the playerend with maybe a custom set of encounter tables on the backend for the DM to use. Is it to have bombastic combat encounters? Then you may be better served by using something like Mutants and Masterminds. Is it to explore a deep story and uncover mysteries? A tossup.

I think Wild Talents would work well for One Piece.
It's a d10 dice pool system that lets you have a lot of variability in power level. The max amount of dice that can be rolled for a power/skill is 10, but there are abilities that reduce the amount of dice one can roll, so high level characters would have even more than 10 dice in an ability. The number of dice available to characters is a good way to measure power level as well.
WT in general can work well for a lot of shonen inspired games. Personally, I would love to see Hunter x Hunter adapted to it.
You can include bonds and shit from ORE (One Roll Engine) so that you can make an ability stronger by channeling your character's bond, but if you fail, I'm pretty sure that you lose a die in that bond.
In Wild Talents, you customize powers based on what kind of in-game abilities you want them to have. You can fluff the power to be anything, but you still have to figure out how that translates in the game. It's not that difficult.
Instead of Leo-Leo, how about something like Gao-Gao Fruit?

Yeah that sounds like a much better name.

Probably make the 3 modes be something like power, claw/reach, and roar and just keep it as a lion. Like the first two would be big/bulky and lanky/long respectively, and then the last one would probably be comically short and stout, like Yao from Mulan. It seems like an Oda thing to do, to make the loudest form be silly and small.

Off the top of my head?

I remember someone apping a Celestial Dragon OC. I might be getting a few of the details off, so bear with me.

So from what I remember, the Celestial Dragon was a kid when he wandered away from his parents, secretly followed by his bodyguards just in case. He met some girl, they had a little misadventure, until the girls pirate crew came to get her. Turns out the girl was like the daughter(?) or a cabin girl of the crew or something. The two waved goodbye like old friends

When the Celestial Dragon's 18th birthday rolled around, his father asked if he'd like anything special, and the boy asked to see the girl from so long ago. He meant it innocently; just wanting to see how his friend was doing after so long. He wakes up the next day to stacks of presents and the girl wrapped up with a bow and a bomb collar on her neck, his new slave.

When he realizes what had happened, he feels disgusted, and commissions a ship so that he can give the girl some of the freedom that was stolen from her. I think they were searching for her younger sister, who survived the Marine's assault and possesses the Heal Heal fruit. IIRC the younger sister was currently working for one of the Yonko or something.

When the RP ended due to a bunch of schedule conflicts, there were talks about him joining one of the player made Yonkos, and that he's aware of the Tenryuubito's secret.

The small form should have a crazy sonic attack, like the land lady from Kung Fu Hustle.

>One Piece RPG
That sounds horrendous. Everyone will want to start off with Haki or the Will of D or a Logia or something. The players won't be able to pretend not to know bigger, end-game stuff since they're fans of the series. Half the players will want to be inhuman, even though the Straw Hats are the most racially diverse organization in the entire series, being 73% human. The inhuman races are also all mechanically, basically, the same, just being super strong humanoids who never invented anything. And to top it all off, all you have to do is go to /a/ to realize most One Piece fans are retarded and don't even understand the basics of the series, which is why they freak out whenever some gooey Devil Fruit user turns out not to be a Logia.

I think the only way for it to work is if the GM is a hardcore autistic fan and is incredibly authoritarian about everything and the players are okay with that. This is true if you wanted to do any shounen RPG, though, I guess. Watching people makes broken Hatsus or Stands would actually probably be worse.

>Will of D

Holy shit, this. Every RP I've been, at least a quarter of the characters have the initial of D. It would be higher if the mods didn't impose a 'One D. per person' rule.

And even then, you get fags who go 'Yes, I'm Stupid M. Dipshit, and the M. are related to the D.'

Like at this point it's best to identify what the players want most out of a one piece game. Do they want the sense of adventure and discovery? Can be feasibly done in any system just so long as you stick to the sort of island/episodic format. Do they want the power fantasy? IDK, Wild Talents like the guy said above or maybe Mutants and masterminds would work.

>Wanting to be a D. when the actual implications are still unknown and it currently basically amounts to "notable person"
They're just retards that want to feel special. No shame in telling them off

>The inhuman races are also all mechanically, basically, the same
Wrong. Fishmen are basically unable to eat devil fruits and can use fishman karate instead which is great. Giants are mechanically interesting in this context too. Minks and Tontattas exist only in the new world, so they are irrelevant. Angels and humans with horns are just cosmetic add-ons you can put on your human characters.
The power gap between the average human and the average giant or fishman is huge, but the game I played had it so that the starting point for an human would be way above average vs mildly above average fishman or average giant.

>Fishmen are basically unable to eat devil fruits
There's nothing that biologically prevents them from eating Devil Fruits, it just nerfs some of their racial advantages. Source: Vander Decken IX.
>and can use fishman karate instead which is great.
Fishman Karate is a martial art that anyone can do, it has nothing to do with your race. Source: Koala.
>Giants are mechanically interesting in this context too.
So interesting it goes without saying, presumably.
>Minks and Tontattas exist only in the new world, so they are irrelevant.
Two of the Supernovas had Minks in their crew, so they don't only "exist" in the New World. Bepo is from there, but somehow obviously he left, and there could be Mink tribes elsewhere in the world for all we know. Every time we meet a new race, their race and tribe are distinguished from each other, implying there could be other tribes. For example, not all giants are from Elbaf, but Elbaf is what people think of when they think of giants. Tontattas, on the other hand, are a tribe from Green Bit; their race is dwarf and there could be other dwarf tribes out there. Regardless, Elbaf is also in the New World, yet you don't think giants are irrelevant.
>Angels and humans with horns are just cosmetic add-ons you can put on your human characters.
I...agree? What? Why did you bother saying this?

I don't think you even understood my post. My point was the inhuman races in One Piece are boring because they're mechanically all defined as being "stronger than humans, but they haven't conquered the world for whatever reason." That's boring. There's not a "smarter, but weaker" race or a "nimble, but weak" race or anything like that.

Can I be "Initial D. Racing"? The up and coming speedboat pilot ?

Exceptions confirm the rules, dumbass.
Koala, as well as Vander Decken IX, are basically meme-builds. They exist to confirm that it's possible. Like a swole wizard or an elf barbarian. You're saying "why can't wizards lift some bars and grab some damn axe?" as if that was something intelligent to say.
Yes, giants are interesting in a world in which they're at disadvantage as the islands are small, the ocean is huge, and they mostly have to swim from island to island since their ships are glorified barques. Yes, it should go without saying. Like it should go without saying that if humans have conquered the world, it's because the two former have choosen not to give up their natural advantages by eating devil fruits, and thus humans are pretty much the only race to eat devil fruits AND travel the entire world around on boats.

Not to mention, I forgot : fishmen can have aspects of fish, from being an octopus with 8 arms to an electrical heel, which makes for super interesting gameplay if you have any form of imagination or creative thinking too.

Yeah and those are minor, specific details. They're not broad sweeping like attributes. Every race falls into the "high STR, low INT" category. I guess you can make the argument that that's just a case of humans not being the middle of the road race in One Piece like they are in everything else, but you didn't bother to make that claim.
>they mostly have to swim from island to island since their ships are glorified barques.
We've never seen a giant swim and we've seen giants on four standard-looking ships. If giants in your game had to struggle with their size, it's because your game decided to do that, not because it's like that in One Piece.
>Like it should go without saying that if humans have conquered the world, it's because the two former have choosen not to give up their natural advantages by eating devil fruits
That would be pretty bizarre, since Devil Fruits are considered a myth in 80% of the world and before the modern era eating a Devil Fruit was presumed to mean you can't set out to sea. So, this image of humans going around the world fighting off giants and/or fishmen with their Devil Fruit powers is extremely unlikely. It's more likely humans are just more intelligent, which is why most of them have firearms and don't live in huts.

What is the One Piece?

(probably) one of the highest grossing manga/anime series of all time. It follows the exploits of the Straw Hat Pirates and all the crazy shit they get up to like toppling regimes and dismantling entire criminal networks by virtue of "you guys are manipulative assholes. Stop it" and then beating them into submission

Only if you eat the Speedy Speed fruit. Then you can be as fast as you can be.

Fuck wrong one, I meant

How do you like this devil fruit:
Onion-Onion fruit, making you a Layer Human. The user of this fruit can use any small wound in their skin or clothes to peel off and reveal a pristine version underneath. The removed layers stick around. Techniques include rapidly peeling layers to throw as projectiles.

I want to praise you for coming up with a Devil Fruit that actually sounds like something Oda would make, but I fear your response will be that your character will be fat and green and from a swamp island.

Thanks for the praise. The character I had in mind was actually a priestess that is a little too eager to sacrifice herself to help others.

I like it when people make OCs that feel like they were made by Oda. It shows an understanding of the work and an abandonment of ego.

I think he's asking about the treasure. You forgot about it right? Can't blame you

One Piece is the nakama* we made along the way.

*TL Note: Nakama means friends/comrades/someword we can't translate exactly so we leave it as nakama even though comrades or brothers in arms is perfectly suitable

They mention it all the time, though. It's going to be something that was precious to Gold Roger, like his hat or something.

Oda has specifically stated that One Piece is an actual treasure. None of this real treasure was friendship crap.

Also it's been hinted that the hat Luffy got from Shanks is one that originally belonged to Roger.

Also it's Gol D. Roger.

He said it was a physical thing and not something metaphorical, but in the second arc of the series Luffy calls his hat his treasure. Seems pretty obvious it'll be something like that, something sentimental. It's not going to be money, dude.

Also I'm talking about his bicorne, obviously.

Also everyone calls him Gold Roger, it's easier to type. It's like people saying Akainu instead of Sakazuki.

I never really got into One Piece, but I appreciate Oda for being a man of taste and adding cigars to characters he wants to be mafioso-style or big-suited businessmen.

Ok, this will be the BBEG now.

This movie is straight up horrifying

Oda, to me, have always been so interesting as a Shonen author.

So many of them are artists first and writers second, guys with a good first arc and maybe a solid second arc, but then no plan for success.

One Piece might be the most simplistic in designs and such, but god damn does Oda know how to work within the format. And the dude has plans.

All the Void Century shit going on in the plot and the requirements to find Raftel being poneglyphs on top of Roger being explicitly told as being someone who understood poneglyphs by being able the hear the voice of all things makes it blatant that the One Piece will have something to do with the Void Century that the WG is trying to keep covered up.

Also Gol D Roger is barely any different to type and has way more meaning in the change of typing than using the fleet Admiral's real name over his alias

If Giants can look like this, I don't see why humans can't look like orcs or elves.

From the perspective of someone who was a huge fan of some of the less than successful members of the Big Three, One Piece has remained consistent in its praise, portrayal, and overall direction and sort of willingness to be weird and itself that is really praiseworthy.

He doesn't just meander or run out of gas like Kubo did, who genuinely seemed like he had about one good arc planned and then wanted to be done.

I think in general one of the things he does the best is how he manages to have the millions and millions of characters without clogging up his narrative.

He is more than willing to throw tons of new characters at you, but he never tries to make those new characters the new most important person sort of thing. That way the characters can fade out once the arc is finished and he can keep the story focused.

From a narrative perspective, the Rio Poneglyph already is that. Unless One Piece is the Rio Poneglyph, there's no reason for both of them to be related to the Void Century.

Gold Roger is easier to type and has 100% the same meaning, you fucking autist. Gold Roger is what everyone calls him.

He also brings them back all kinds of often.

Like Oda has a great big stable of Marines to use for various things and he demonstrated that real nicely when he showed off all the mofos that the strawhats have met that were headed for the Reverie.

The Rio Poneglyph is probably part of the One Piece. Also the fucking thing has to be related to the Void Century given that it's on fucking Raftel which you can only find with the 4 Road Poneglyphs And Rayleigh mentions that Roger did find the Rio Poneglyphs

Also again, it's literally just an extra space, barely any easier to type and is very much different. Typing Roger's name as Gol D demonstrates that you've gotten to the point where it's explained that the Marines were deliberately spreading the wrong name to cover up Roger being a member of the D family and that you understand that the Will of D is a massive plotpoint. Don't justify your laziness with excuses that are objectively incorrect.

It's there because Roger left it there.

It's an extra space, capitalizing a letter and a period, for nothing.
>Typing Roger's name as Gol D demonstrates that you've gotten to the point where it's explained that the Marines were deliberately spreading the wrong name to cover up Roger being a member of the D family and that you understand that the Will of D is a massive plotpoint. Don't justify your laziness with excuses that are objectively incorrect.
Do you sniff your own farts?

But "be as fast as you can be" might not be very fast...